• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepykyo

vilmer_ said:
It is most definitely what is happening :/ I initially wanted to stay a lower level so I could hound people who were playing their first time, but I quickly found out that I was level 50 and invading people who were level 50... In NG+. It really sucks balls.

So you wanted to pull the dirty move that I wanted to pull (I really don't want to farm in painted level for reprisals) and finding you're dying to another dirty move?

It does raise interesting point on whether keeping the soul level really matters. In Demon's Souls it was huge deal, because it was level matching but in Dark Souls, the forest, the dragon, etc aren't based on levels, might as well not bother.

Now question is which SL is best for the Warriors of Sunlight coop.

vilmer_

sleepykyo said:
So you wanted to pull the dirty move that I wanted to pull (I really don't want to farm in painted level for reprisals) and finding you're dying to another dirty move?

It does raise interesting point on whether keeping the soul level really matters. In Demon's Souls it was huge deal, because it was level matching but in Dark Souls, the forest, the dragon, etc aren't based on levels, might as well not bother.

Now question is which SL is best for the Warriors of Sunlight coop.

To be more precise, I have about 8 or 9 friends who picked up the game, most of whom have never played. I had envisioned staying low level and thinking somehow I could invade them since we are so close together vicinity wise (not knowing about this p2p/covenant matchmaking system). My plan failed hard, and I have absolutely NO idea why Namco decided to go p2p instead of dedicated, and I say Namco because there is no way in hell From decided on this. Demon's Souls pvp was perfect and there would be no reason for them to make these kind of changes for the worse.

Aeana

toasty_T said:
I'm disappointed that there is no true pyro ranged attack. I'd kill for a laser beam
I would like a true area attack for sorcery. White dragon breath's area of effect has turned out to be much smaller than it looks. You really have to have enemies lined up pretty much in single file. :\

Grinchy

Banned
Varna said:
Sounds good.. but I'm really far away from that at the moment. Any other place ? I don't think I've ever gotten a chunk from a normal monsters... no idea where to start.
You can also farm them in the New Londo Ruins (lower part). The Darkwraiths drop them, and they are easy to kill. It's not the same guarantee that the other area will give you, but it's a simple run.

So I've ran through Anor Londo, got past the infamous bridge and have unlocked all the shortcuts. Now the question is: should I
try to take out S&O, or do the Painting World first? I've already knocked out Lautrec.

Carcetti

vilmer_ said:
It is most definitely what is happening :/ I initially wanted to stay a lower level so I could hound people who were playing their first time, but I quickly found out that I was level 50 and invading people who were level 50... In NG+. It really sucks balls.

That's annoying. I managed to kill total of 9 humanity's worth of people as a darkwraith tonight though, with like 4 or 5 fails. I feel really bad about the last one. We did the mutual bow thing, and then when we started I killed him with my first soul spear. That usually never works and it felt immediately very cheap.

Then I decided to blast the phantom assisting him while the host was dying and when it died I got the text 'phantom knight solaire has been vanquished'. Did I screw up this guy's Solaire storyline by killing him? I have no idea about how this works but I immediately felt so evil that I had to turn the PS3 off and stop playing for now.

tc farks

I know someone asked this not too far back. But I don't remember seeing an answer and I can't find it again anyway.

I just beat the Chaos Witch and rung the 2nd bell, so I'm chilling back here with her daughter and she just gave me the Great Chaos Fireball spell. But I can't attune it, despite having my flame at +15.

What gives? Also, I know offering humanity opens up a shortcut to Lost Izalith, but how much humanity does it take? Should I wait to do this since I only have like 4 humanity and 1 twin humanity. I don't know if 1 humanity = 1 level.

I'll just patiently chill at this bonfire since the music is sounding pretty good right now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wallachia said:
A thought.. let me know what you think:
Dark Souls is the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night of this generation.
Yes!
Mortrialus said:
A better comparison would be the original Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.
YES!

Going to need to make it out of the Duke's Archives tonight. Surely these walls can't contain an invisible ninja...

Akkad

Banned
24FrameDaVinci said:
Holy shit those two archers in Anor Londo are driving me nuts, how do you go about taking them out?

Go for the one on the right and ignore the left one. Either kill him or he will fall to his death.

Yo Gotti

Banned
tc farks said:
I know someone asked this not too far back. But I don't remember seeing an answer and I can't find it again anyway.

I just beat the Chaos Witch and rung the 2nd bell, so I'm chilling back here with her daughter and she just gave me the Great Chaos Fireball spell. But I can't attune it, despite having my flame at +15.

It takes 2 slots.

Septimius

prodystopian said:
Can you explain this? According to this, the furysword doesn't surpass the +5 lightning Iaito even with 40 dex (at 0 humanity).

Hmm. I could have sworn I wrote that that was with 10 humanity. Well, yes - I use lightning Uchi at anything below 10 humanity (dependent on enemy type, of course), and they seem to be evenly matched at 10 humanity, so I can use whichever I feel like, or figure out works best for the area.

Akkad

Banned
tc farks said:

What gives? Also, I know offering humanity opens up a shortcut to Lost Izalith, but how much humanity does it take? Should I wait to do this since I only have like 4 humanity and 1 twin humanity. I don't know if 1 humanity = 1 level.

I'll just patiently chill at this bonfire since the music is sounding pretty good right now.

You need 30 humanity in total. Just farm the skeleton babies in the tomb of the giants.

Mindlog

That song has been posted before. It's odd because Anor Lando has been favorite zone in the game thus far.

24FrameDaVinci said:
Holy shit those two archers in Anor Londo are driving me nuts, how do you go about taking them out?
Running and rolling will do it.
Hidden Body will make it even easier.

tc farks said:
Great Chaos Fireball takes 2 attunement slots.

VVV

scy

Pretty sure it's Great Chaos Fireball for joining (Rank+0), nothing at Rank+1, and then Chaos Storm at Rank+2.

maomaoIYP

Augemitbutter said:
do covenant ranks carry over in ng+? i know it ranks down once you leave a covenant, but surprisingly, i could still offer
soul of gwyn once i've ranked down.
so why is this? is the +1 requirement for the soul just misinformation or is it something else?

confused once again.

Re-quoting this, because I was asleep for the past 7 hrs.

It doesn't rank down if you stay with the covenant as you move into NG+, because your covenant sticks with you as you go into a new playthrough.

Also, the number of people you've helped to get into the warrior of sunlight covenant is cumulative over all playthroughs with the same character. I have a character who only managed to help two people successfully in NG, I boosted my faith to only 40 in NG++ and joined the covenant.

Septimius

Oh, yeah. Bed of Chaos can go ride a roller coaster. Fuck that shit. It does not ever deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Dragon God. It is just outright ridiculous, stupid and possibly the worst boss ever.

Best part of tonight, though, was surviving killing all but 2 of those idiot ancient dragon legs in Lost Izafuck, getting all the way to the boss, even falling through that stupid floor and surviving that whole ordeal. Then reaching the boss, dying because it is ridiculous, then starting back at the hidden bonfire in the lava, going "I'm gonna run back, and past all those stupid fire-statue things", run into the lava OH SHIT OH SHIT, NO LAVA RING. Die a horrible death. Lose 77 humanity and 230,000 souls.

Beat that bitch-ass boss. With my fists. Just to fucking make a point of how much of my bitch that thing is.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Lol, why run around with 77 humanity?

I'm sure whatever scales with humanity at that number is useless. You set yourself up for disappointment, you were going to lose it eventually. The 200k souls was nothing, you'll get it back in no time.

EDIT: But yea there's nothing in Dark Souls that rivals Dragon God and Flamelurker in my opinion, unfortunately.
Though Gwyn definitely surpasses Allant as a hardass of a final boss.

If jumping wasn't so flakey in this game - bed of chaos would be kind of neat. I like the idea behind the fight, and having a platformy/puzzle/environmental type fight could be fun (I didn't mind Dragon God in Demon's Souls).

But when my character casually strolls off of the edge instead of jumping because tying to time / direct a jump in this game is futile - it just made the fight aggravating instead of neat

On my latest playthrough, I was doing the Anor Londo archers, and at the second run up the beam I had a fucking item monster spawn, needless to say I freaked out and died. It's interesting how a break in the pattern you are used to can screw you up so badly hehe.

Raxus

Septimius said:
Oh, yeah. Bed of Chaos can go ride a roller coaster. Fuck that shit. It does not ever deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Dragon God. It is just outright ridiculous, stupid and possibly the worst boss ever.

Best part of tonight, though, was surviving killing all but 2 of those idiot ancient dragon legs in Lost Izafuck, getting all the way to the boss, even falling through that stupid floor and surviving that whole ordeal. Then reaching the boss, dying because it is ridiculous, then starting back at the hidden bonfire in the lava, going "I'm gonna run back, and past all those stupid fire-statue things", run into the lava OH SHIT OH SHIT, NO LAVA RING. Die a horrible death. Lose 77 humanity and 230,000 souls.

Beat that bitch-ass boss. With my fists. Just to fucking make a point of how much of my bitch that thing is.

Bed of chaos is a pain in the ass. If the speed run videos have taught me one thing then it is to
quit after destroying a limb. Restart at the beginning of the room, destroy the other limb, restart, then run towards the center and block the first two sweeps and land on the ledge for the insta win.

Raxus

How does one go about earning the crystal spells? My pyromancy is maxed out but I REALLY have to improve my sorcery.

Also, to NG++ players or higher, high high can I raise my Estus Flask? Can I get it beyond +7?

Yo Gotti

Banned
maomaoIYP said:
Erm. Nope. Allant was infinitely harder.

You think so? Naaaah.

I mean you can parry
Gwyn
, but if you make a single mistake you might be dead. Allant was way more forgiving, slower and more predictable. If you cheese
Gwyn
with Iron Skin, then sure.

I've got like 40 Titanite Chunks from trying to beat him without cheesing...

maomaoIYP

Yo Gotti said:
You think so? Naaaah.

I mean you can parry
Gwyn
, but if you make a single mistake you might be dead. Allant was way more forgiving, slower and more predictable. If you cheese
Gwyn
with Iron Skin, then sure.

I've got like 40 Titanite Chunks from trying to beat him without cheesing...

His attacks are all blockable, with the exception of the grab, which is slow and easily rolled away. I beat him on my second try in NG, first try in NG+. No spells or anything, just good old fashioned parry & riposte.

Raxus

Dresden said:
Gotta go rescue
Logan in Duke's Archive.
Should have known, I missed him during the first playthough and I missed killing him for dragon's breath. At least I almost finished my pyromancy. Miracles are going to be a pain to collect as well. Fucking Patches.

Raxus said:
How does one go about earning the crystal spells? My pyromancy is maxed out but I REALLY have to improve my sorcery.

You need to free Logan from his cell in the Archives -- when he relocates, he sells crystal magic weapon, crystal soul spear, and the most badass spell in the game -- crystal soulmass. To get white dragon breath, you need to:
Beat Seath and buy everything from Logan; this will cause Logan to spout crazy talk and act like he's senile -- when you reload the area, he's gone and left a chest where he was located with his catalyst, and most of his armor set. He's actually gone hollow and located up in the room where you lost to Seath initially. Kill him for his hat, an awesome catalyst, and white dragon breath. The large magic ember is in a chest in that room as well.

Mortrialus said:
A better comparison would be the original Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

Don't you do that. Don't you dare.
Dark Souls is an amazing game, damn you. Do not compare it to that. :p

Raxus said:
Should have known, I missed him during the first playthough and I missed killing him for dragon's breath. At least I almost finished my pyromancy. Miracles are going to be a pain to collect as well. Fucking Patches.

Miracles aren't really bad, save the one that requires Gwyn's soul -- and that's more of an annoyance where you need 50 faith or x faith + y modifier to join the sunlight covenant and then have to have 10 sunlight medals. If you figure you can get 5 a playthrough, the medals aren't the worst part, the 50 faith (- modifier).

Rare weapons is the worst, by far. Pyromancy is bad too, simply because of the hidden location of some of the blighttown spells, the stuff necessary to get toxic cloud, and the stuff necessary to get the rest of the chaos spells from the covenant and such.

maomaoIYP

corrosivefrost said:
You need to free Logan from his cell in the Archives -- when he relocates, he sells crystal magic weapon, crystal soul spear, and the most badass spell in the game -- crystal soulmass. To get white dragon breath, you need to:
Beat Seath and buy everything from Logan; this will cause Logan to spout crazy talk and act like he's senile -- when you reload the area, he's gone and left a chest where he was located with his catalyst, and most of his armor set. He's actually gone hollow and located up in the room where you lost to Seath initially. Kill him for his hat, an awesome catalyst, and white dragon breath. The large magic ember is in a chest in that room as well.

Don't you do that. Don't you dare.
Dark Souls is an amazing game, damn you. Do not compare it to that. :p

Actually if you don't have the money to buy all his spells but want white dragon breath, the tin crystal catalyst and only his hat, you can just kill him when he's still selling his spells in the archives.

maomaoIYP said:
Actually if you don't have the money to buy all his spells but want white dragon breath, the tin crystal catalyst and only his hat, you can just kill him when he's still selling his spells in the archives.

Heh. Fair enough. But considering how easy it is to make the 100k you need by that point (again, using the "Frost Patented" Dark Anor Londo farming :p), you should really by them all (except crystal magic weapon, if you don't care to use that sort of sorcery... soulmass is a must and the soul spear is pretty worth it too).

2AdEPT

sixghost said:
Chunks are a guaranteed drop from Black Knights. The only thing you need to raise your item find for is their shield/weapons, which are all very useful.
No wonder I had trouble upgrading my Lightning spear (+2) to where it was (+4) on my first character after doing the speed run for LS/GOld hemmed/high chaos pyro. I avoided all black nights and didn't go as far as anor londo on the speed run.

edit: still. +2 LS, +8 pyro glove, and gold hemmed set at level 30 makes a lot of suffering in the depths and blightotown dissipate in a hurry so still well worth doing IMHO! I took particular pleasure in electrocuting both dogs with one swing of the spear at the top of the stairs, and melting Capra himself with only two chaos spurts of lava.

maomaoIYP

corrosivefrost said:
Heh. Fair enough. But considering how easy it is to make the 100k you need by that point (again, using the "Frost Patented" Dark Anor Londo farming :p), you should really by them all (except crystal magic weapon, if you don't care to use that sort of sorcery... soulmass is a must and the soul spear is pretty worth it too).

The spells are good.....but on my achievement run character I didn't have intelligence to cast anything beyond great magic weapon. So I thought, screw this, and killed him just to collect his stuff.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Once Sen's Fortress is clear and you are sent to Anor Londo, are you stuck there until you clear the area?

Raxus

corrosivefrost said:
Miracles aren't really bad, save the one that requires Gwyn's soul -- and that's more of an annoyance where you need 50 faith or x faith + y modifier to join the sunlight covenant and then have to have 10 sunlight medals. If you figure you can get 5 a playthrough, the medals aren't the worst part, the 50 faith (- modifier).

Rare weapons is the worst, by far. Pyromancy is bad too, simply because of the hidden location of some of the blighttown spells, the stuff necessary to get toxic cloud, and the stuff necessary to get the rest of the chaos spells from the covenant and such.
Pyromancy has some crazy shit but the best spells are all purchased. The ones you REALLY have to work for are hardly worth it when Great Combustion owns anything that isn't a fire creature. Aside from the annoying boss soul weapons I have most of the elemental weapons ready to reach their max level. I think I just need to go around and collect some more slabs. I have raw and lightning done and I have enchanted, magic, regular just about done.

Lost Izalith can seriously go to hell. It's not soul-breaking like the fucking Four Kings, but the first part of the level design is pretty damn terrible. Which is a shame, because the second half when you actually get into the Angkor Wat-esque temples and such is actually pretty cool.

Beat Seath and Nito, now it's only (as I've heard) the most annoying assholes in the game left, Four Kings and Bed of Chaos.

Got Ornstein's armor this go, and it looks so awesome. Too bad it can't be upgraded at all. Ended up going back to my Eastern Armor/Leather Gauntlets/Black Leather Boots setup because I'm getting more DEF with them upgraded. Plus I look like a badass samurai with my Iaito + 15.

Sullichin

Oichi said:
Once Sen's Fortress is clear and you are sent to Anor Londo, are you stuck there until you clear the area?

no, you can go back to where you were dropped off and go back to sen's. I found the knights there are a good place to farm titanite and then go back and upgrade at anor's blacksmith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom