• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntown

Banned
LukeSmith said:
I placed my summon sign at the bonfire inside the Londo Fortress before the boss and ended up getting 6 or so boss assist kills last night (SL 54)
Yeah that is a good place too. I know I always went back to the main bonfire so I could get 10 Estus flasks as compared to 5 at the other one.

Eusis

toasty_T said:
Is there an easy way to get back to Duke's Archive? I don't have near enough to buy all the crystal sorceries.
A secret passage opened after
Seath killed you
, it's on the right side of that elevator that took you up to that battle. It's probably not the shortcut you were hoping for, but from there it's not to get back to learn more sorceries.

For those who mentioned the Ghost Blade on the previous page: you don't need it for the Knight's Honor trophy, I got the trophy without it.

Booshka

Sullichin said:
If you kill him, are you effectively preventing yourself from being able to make lightning weapons in anor londo because you cant upgrade to +10 from him? He's still alive in my game.. just wondering. that would suck
Yes, same with Fire weapons and Divine. I guess the only Lightning you could upgrade would be a drop, so the Lightning Spear, otherwise, you're kinda screwed. If I did that to my self I would just focus on upgrading a Twinkling Titanite required weapon, or creating one of the few good Boss soul weapons (Quelagg's Furysword and Crystal Ring Shield). He is the most important Blacksmith in the game though.

Septimius

For the most fun online experience, I would recommend people to invade. For a while I was a Darkmoon Blade invading in Anor Londo for "two days" straight. That probably netted me about 40 fights, many of which were people farming invaders. Then I met Kaathe, and I invaded probably 70 people yesterday in about 6 hours, all in the painting world. For people wondering about NAT type, I don't NAT. (Yes, that's right, my IP is *my* IP, not my routers)

40 humanity. Hello dark set.

Also, I just had to try attempting the glitch with just estus flasks, today. People were saying how hard it was. Nailed it on the first try. I do agree with what people are saying. It's not really anything positive to farm anything, anywhere, so I totally agree that it doesn't break the game. If people use this to reach max soul level, then they still won't have the skills for PvP. It does make A LOT of sense that people can reach 'end game' (max level) whenever they want. If a SL120 emerges in this game, it seems that that's near what you're gonna get to anyway by way of playing through the game to get all the equipment you need, but it's definitely a bonus that you can skip pointless soul-farming. And it is tempting to just make a max level char so you can join everyone that surely are gathering there with this glitch. Also means it is totally down to tactic, and not build, but that again has several weak-points.

Dresden said:
Before the end of the game, where you can farm respawning black knights, the only place you can grab it is the one black knight in
the catacombs
. I equipped the serpent ring, crossed my fingers, and got it.
Such a pain in the ass, I got the halberd that I didnt want but not the great axe that I really wanted!

Got a feeling ill be using Nitos till the end of the game at this rate!!

MedIC86

Muhaha! i finished the game!

Pfew, one run is more then enough for me.

final thoughts:

Loved everything except lost izalith, rest wasnt so bad, and the end boss? what a serious push over, i had Havel sets + his shield +5, and he couldnt lay a finger on me, i threw 7/8 great fireballs at him and he was dead....and seriously that ending movie? wtf...ok..
but i loved the game, and im happy i pushed trough the initial toughness

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Finally working my way through Blighttown..I love that area..had no health or flasks and just living off my (don't know English name) life draining ring. Got to the bonfire down in the swamp and was like yessssssssssss! Such a good feeling. Also the framerate for me hasn't been THAT bad..slow but not horrible. Definitely not like the cats in the forest.

Booshka said:
Without Andre, you can't upgrade weapons to Raw, or to +10/+15 for Normal Reinforcement. He also sells the Crest of Artorias, and the Weapon and Armor Reinforcement smithboxes. If he died, you should have been able to pick up the Crest of Artorias though.

Yep, I managed to get the loot even though I never found the body. While it sucks I won't be able to upgrade weapons to +10 at least I bought the repairbox and both smithboxes. I guess weapon ascension will have to wait until NG+.

Sullichin said:
Iron golem is a surprisingly easy boss. I didn't even have the lightning spear because I died right when I killed the mimic (which was incredibly frustrating at the time), but I had no trouble taking him down with my weak ass divine gargoyle halberd. Sen's fortress is such a cool area.

That's good to know. Is Iron Flesh useful against him or should I try to stay mobile? Agreed on Sen's, both layout and traps make for some interesting fights.

Septimius

Duebrithil said:
Yep, I managed to get the loot even though I never found the body. While it sucks I won't be able to upgrade weapons to +10 at least I bought the repairbox and both smithboxes. I guess weapon ascension will have to wait until NG+.

That's good to know. Is Iron Flesh useful against him or should I try to stay mobile? Agreed on Sen's, both layout and traps make for some interesting fights.

To be honest, I'd start over. I just love my Quelaag's Furysword and Lightning Uchigatana. But hey, that's me.

Sullichin

Duebrithil said:

I don't have iron flesh (im a pyromancer though.. but I only have 3 attunement slots, i'm mostly melee). He's just slow and easy to get behind.

TommyT

StunandStab said:
For those who mentioned the Ghost Blade on the previous page: you don't need it for the Knight's Honor trophy, I got the trophy without it.
The guide disagrees with you. Maybe you picked it up unknowingly? Either way, if you save it for last you'll figure it out ;D

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
How is the crystal ring attack damage calculated? Can it be improved by refining the crystal ring shield?

kyubajin

So I finally discovered the Painted World, however
I didn't want to kill the giant ghost boss and I exited the level... Do I need cursed weapons to deal with her?

Made it to
Sif
and killed him quite easily. Then killed the Hydra as well, only took me like 5 tries.

I'm almost 50 hours in and I still have Crystal Caverns, Tomb of Giants, past Demon Ruin and other locations I don't know about left to explore and conquer :) This game is so epic!

I'm joining the syndicate for a better stat scaling system... STR and DEX scaling is puny compared to elemental damage. Are there any news on a patch remedying this?

Also, I'm using my twinkly titanite on my trusty Black Iron set. It just has the perfect weight for having medium roll speed using Havel's ring.

I've only been invaded once, and it was when I was very low level (just before Gaping Dragon) and now I can tell the invader was wearing Havel's set... I couldn't stand a chance.

John Harker said:
Yea I need to stop being hyper conservative with my souls.
Where do you buy that thing cheaply again?

I think it's cheapest at Andre (blacksmith), but you can also buy it at the first undead merchant (male) -- it's 2k at Andre and 3k at undead merchant, I think.

I highly recommend dropping the souls on all 3 boxes from Andre -- having the ability to upgrade your own weapons is very liberating when you only need to visit the blacksmiths to ascend them.

Sullichin

Septimius said:
To be honest, I'd start over. I just love my Quelaag's Furysword and Lightning Uchigatana. But hey, that's me.

Any idea how Quelaag's furysword (fully upgraded I suppose) compares to lightning scythe+5? Hard to tell... 90/270 fire damage doesn't sound that impressive

Akuun said:
How is the crystal ring attack damage calculated? Can it be improved by refining the crystal ring shield?

It depends on the damage your right-hand weapon does, although there doesnt seem to be a fixes rate. My 400 total dam does about 700 with a +5 shield while my upg. Py flame + 2 does 900.

Easiest way is to go with the highest overall damage weapon that you can wield, but also try out other stuff and compare the output

Final damage is affected by the shield level

MedIC86

kyubajin said:
So I finally discovered the Painted World, however
I didn't want to kill the giant ghost boss and I exited the level... Do I need cursed weapons to deal with her?

no she is invisble, just watch for footsteps and blast with fireballs if you have it

mudkyp

Do people in NG+ find themselves skipping a lot of stuff? I'm plotting my path and I see myself skipping a great deal minus the free slabs for the trophies.

Dever

Banned
Dever said:
The last time I saw the onion knight was in the Blighttown swamp, where did he go from there?

Anyone? I'd really like to see how his quest concludes before I go kill the last boss

Sullichin

Dever said:
Anyone? I'd really like to see how his quest concludes before I go kill the last boss

if he's the same guy im thinking of,
he's in a room in anor londo and he will ask you to kill knights for him and he gives you something totally useless in return :p

purg3

slept with Malkin
Sullichin said:
Any idea how Quelaag's furysword (fully upgraded I suppose) compares to lightning scythe+5? Hard to tell... 90/270 fire damage doesn't sound that impressive
Yeah but the fury sword has B dex scaling too. Once they fix scaling, it might be better.

Sullichin

purg3 said:
Yeah but the fury sword has B sex scaling too. Once they fix scaling, it might be better.

I guess I'll get it, I don't have a weapon that does fire damage. Although I'm a pyro so doing fire damage isn't an issue

Ken

Sullichin said:
he's in a room in anor londo and he will ask you to kill knights for him and he gives you something totally useless in return :p

And after that he'll be in
Firelink Shrine. If you don't speak with him after killing the knights in the room in Anor Londo he won't show up in Firelink.

Booshka

Dever said:
He goes to
Lost Izalith in the Poison Swamp
area. His daughter(?) is in a
Gold Crystal Golem at the start of Crystal Caves

StunandStab said:

You sure about that? I'm looking at the official guide and it's the only thing listed I don't have and I haven't gotten the achievement.

Mortrialus said:
You sure about that? I'm looking at the official guide and it's the only thing listed I don't have and I haven't gotten the achievement.

I know there are two different kinds of ghost blades, the Jagged Ghost Blade and the rarer "Ghost Blade", I had the jagged one, I did not have the other one. I am sure of that

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Thanks guys. I'll finish upgrading the Fury sword before I start putting Demon Titanite into the shield, then.

Onion knight dude ended up in
Firelink Shrine, and then if you tell him you opened the door to Sen's Fortress he gives you a miracle. I don't know what happened to him after that.
Onion armor looks so funny. Does it really help with parrying, as mentioned in the description?

DigitalDevil said:
well there's our answer

Not necessarily, apparently the guide is wrong a lot... maybe one of the ghost blades is needed but not both of them and he has neither? I never had the Ghost Blade, and I Platinumed the game, that's for damn sure.

Septimius

Sullichin said:

Furysword +5 is.. 90(phy)/270(fire), and at +10 with my 26 DEX, it comes up to a total of ~+60/70. +5 lightning Uchigatana is 240/250 or something very close to that, that is almost to the point EXACTLY the same as the Furysword, so it only comes down to preference and what you're fighting. At 35, any scaling weapon will start to outdo the static ones.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Sullichin said:

I found him there, but he never asked me to do anything or gave me anything, and I did talk to him multiple times... did I miss a step somewhere? Too bad, I like that guy haha.

Also... the Gravelord sword is so bad ace.

Aeana

I'm going to head to New Londo Ruins soon. A question, however: should I bother getting myself cursed? Does being cursed even work with magic or is it just for physical attacks on the ghosts?

Aeana said:
I'm going to head to New Londo Ruins soon. A question, however: should I bother getting myself cursed? Does being cursed even work with magic or is it just for physical attacks on the ghosts?

I'd just use the transient curses the ghosts drop, buy a couple from the undead merchant to get you started, slap on the gold serpent ring while fighting them and you'll have loads in no time. And yeah, curses work with both magic and physical attacks.

MoxManiac

TommyT said:
The guide disagrees with you. Maybe you picked it up unknowingly? Either way, if you save it for last you'll figure it out ;D

Do not take the guide as gospel. It has a number of inaccuracies, I would not be suprised if it's wrong about the trophies.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Oracle Dragon said:
Upgrade any 1H sword to +10 and provide it with Sifs Soul to the Anor Londo smith. The True version is the same idea, but upgrade your broken hilt from the tutorial level to +10.

ahhh ok it depends on what sword you use.

dammit I upgraded the broken straight sword for nothing.

Wallachia

some funnies..

dpeipc.jpg

dark_souls_brutal.jpg

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Aeana said:
Use Transient curses. Also as you explore you'll pick up more transient curses as drops or stuff along the way so try not to worry too much.

K' Dash

I went to the four kings without fucking knowing, I didn't even got to see them, I was putting on a Rare Sacrifice Ring when they(?) fucked me, I heard there are no bonfires in New Londo, is that true?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
K' Dash said:
I went to the four kings without fucking knowing, I didn't even got to see them, I was putting on a Rare Sacrifice Ring when the fucked me, I heard there are no bonfires in New Londo, is that true?

man I hear when you beat them you get a bonfire there.

I need to summon some folk or try to. lol

and YEP no bonfire in londo ruins, but there is some shortcuts you unlock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom