• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
K' Dash said:
I went to the four kings without fucking knowing, I didn't even got to see them, I was putting on a Rare Sacrifice Ring when the fucked me, I heard there are no bonfires in New Londo, is that true?
Not that I know of. There is a way you can just run straight to the Four Kings boss fight from Firelink though.

linko9

Sullichin said:
Any idea how Quelaag's furysword (fully upgraded I suppose) compares to lightning scythe+5? Hard to tell... 90/270 fire damage doesn't sound that impressive

with 40 dex, 40 str, and 10 humanity, a furysword+5 has about 540 total strength. As it has a very fast swing, low weight, and a low stamina bar reduction, it is in my experience the best weapon in the game DPS-wise, as long as you keep your humanity up.

K' Dash said:
I went to the four kings without fucking knowing, I didn't even got to see them, I was putting on a Rare Sacrifice Ring when they(?) fucked me, I heard there are no bonfires in New Londo, is that true?

True, but it is very close to FireLink shrine and if you got as far as 4 kings you should have activated the shortcut (elevator right across the 2nd bridge in New Londo, only 3 ghosts to go through). From that location it is a quick trip back to the boss.

Also IIRC the fall to the abyss doesn't kill you, so as long as you have the ring on no need to walk down the steps, just jump from the top.

JVIDICAN

K' Dash said:
Care to explain? I'd be on your debt, hate this area...
Lol. I jumped into the firelink well before thinking it'd be some secret entrance into the abyss. Turns out it's just a bottomless pit. :p
fastest way I'm aware of is through the giant door in Valley of the Drakes.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
StunandStab said:
What is that armor set and where do you get it?

It's the Xanthous set. Go into the Painted World as a human and stand at the edge of the cliff in the graveyard section of the courtyard near the large box/cell things and you'll be invaded by a Black Phantom named King Jeremiah wearing the armor. It's the area immediately to your right when you pass through the shortcut door near the bonfire. Beat the phantom and he'll drop a whip, then go through to where you meet/fight Priscilla and there will be a corpse on the beginning of the plank that you jump off to return to Anor Londo. The armor is on the corpse.

JVIDICAN said:
Lol. I jumped into the firelink well before thinking it'd be some secret entrance into the abyss. Turns out it's just a bottomless pit. :p
fastest way I'm aware of is through the giant door in Valley of the Drakes.

I believe that should actually be slower than the short cut in New Londo; when activated the elevator takes you past the section you enter from Valley of Drakes. Plus, you don't have to cut your way through like 6 drakes first ;)

Dresden

K' Dash said:
Care to explain? I'd be on your debt, hate this area...
Go from Firelink to New Londo, cross the bridge, and right when you meet the first two ghosts, just head to the right and look for a place to drop down. You should be in that little pool area where the darkwraith assaults you. The boss door is like thirty seconds of running from that area.

ShaneB

I'm at the bonfire on the Blighttown bridge, got a weapon at risk message to realize I need to repair soon dang it. Am I anywhere close to a blacksmith?

oracrest

ShaneB said:
I'm at the bonfire on the Blighttown bridge, got a weapon at risk message to realize I need to repair soon dang it. Am I anywhere close to a blacksmith?

No, I had to go back to the first blacksmith to repair it. It's not really that far though...

Wallachia

ShaneB said:

Nope. and its a bitch to get back to Andre. Did you buy a Repair Box item?

ShaneB said:

Nope, you'll probably have to use a backup weapon. I'd probably tough it out to the swamp bonfire, then fight your way up and activate the shortcut rather than take on the boss with your backup weapon.

And then when you are at the smith, BUY A REPAIR BOX :D

Aeana said:
Man, are they kidding me with the ghosts in the tight passages here? And being able to go through walls?

Hey, they're GHOSTS ;) Besides, if you can see even part of them sticking out of the wall, you can hit them. Even if your weapon clangs off the stone, you should still hit them.

Keep your shield up, and just walk into each area and wait a few seconds. They'll come to you.

ShaneB

God dammit :( Thanks for the replies. Fuck.

I dont have a repairbox :( I bought a smithbox though, but I dont believe it's letting me repair? Unless I'm missing an option..

dammit.

ShaneB said:

I dont have a repairbox :( I bought a smithbox though, but I dont believe it's letting me repair? Unless I'm missing an option..

dammit.

No the smithbox lets you do weapon reinforcement with ores, but not repair.

Wallachia

ShaneB said:

dammit.

Or keep killing the Fatties and hope they drop a Giant Club.

Dresden

Wallachia said:
Or keep killing the Fatties and hope they drop a Giant Club.
He can find one in the swamp, if he can fight his way through. They drop large clubs which are probably better though.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Aeana said:
Man, are they kidding me with the ghosts in the tight passages here? And being able to go through walls?

It helps a lot to bait them out into the open areas. They love to swarm when you enter interior rooms, so if you run into one then immediately do a 180 and dash back out onto one of the walkway areas they're vastly easier to deal with. Keeping a Soulmass active constantly is also a huge help in case one pops out of a wall right in front of you.

You could also do what I did the first time and just forget about fighting them entirely. I died about a dozen times but eventually managed to run screaming through the entire area in my underpants without fighting a single one.

After many failed attempts, I finally managed to jump down upon the bookshelf with the chest on it in Dukes Archives. Had a unique crossbow in it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ixix said:
I died about a dozen times but eventually managed to run screaming through the entire area in my underpants without fighting a single one.

That's how it usually ends in every area in Dark Souls, me running naked just to see what was around that corner I just died behind.

Mortrialus said:
After many failed attempts, I finally managed to jump down upon the bookshelf with the chest on it in Dukes Archives. Had a unique crossbow in it.

Did you get the chest in the Painted Hall? When you go across the ceiling to the ladder, on the left you can see a chest but I never figured out how to get to it. That, and the loot when you look down from Moonlight Butterflies bridge, always drive me crazy! ;)

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Mortrialus said:

Which room is the chest on? I kinda rushed through the area so id like to go back and grab it.

JVIDICAN

Oracle Dragon said:
I believe that should actually be slower than the short cut in New Londo; when activated the elevator takes you past the section you enter from Valley of Drakes. Plus, you don't have to cut your way through like 6 drakes first ;)
When you have a crystal ring shield +5 it's faster, no ghost orgies either :p

Baha

Four Kings & Seath down in NG+. All I have left is Firesage (thinking of killing him for elevator access from Chaos covenant), Bed of Chaos and the last boss.

For Four Kings in NG+, you need at least 6 casting of iron flesh + 2H weapon. I was getting my ass kicked until I did that. Also I went with Smough armor and I don't regret it one bit!

Wallachia

oracrest said:
I am loving it, but I have only had little spurts of time to play it so far. I am in Anor Londo right now...

Cool. Me too.. I haven't been this addicted to a game and the mood that it puts me in, since.. Castlevania: SotN. I am only at Quelaag, can't wait to beat her and get into the new areas.

Gr1mLock said:
Which room is the chest on? I kinda rushed through the area so id like to go back and grab it.

The first giant room near the entrance. You have to jump off the rotating bridge to land on it. Not easy.

yeb

Oracle Dragon said:
Did you get the chest in the Painted Hall? When you go across the ceiling to the ladder, on the left you can see a chest but I never figured out how to get to it. That, and the loot when you look down from Moonlight Butterflies bridge, always drive me crazy! ;)
I think I know the chest you're speaking about in the room with the painting. After you cross the ceiling beams, look for a platform you can roll down onto in front of the big statue, it lets you cross to the other side of the hall.

I'm not sure I know what item you mean in Darkroot, but there is a large hidden area there.
You can destroy a tree along a wall to access it, or drop down off the cliff some distance before the hidden bonfire and farming door.

ShaneB

Well I'm back at Firelink Shrine, that wasn't so bad. Anyways... while I'm here a question about the gold armour guy and what he does. I honestly have no clues about spoilers anymore in this thread, but ah well
does he kill this woman who reinforces my estus flasks? should I off him now? what's more important, the armour from him or the flasks? etc?

Septimius said:
Furysword +5 is.. 90(phy)/270(fire), and at +10 with my 26 DEX, it comes up to a total of ~+60/70. +5 lightning Uchigatana is 240/250 or something very close to that, that is almost to the point EXACTLY the same as the Furysword, so it only comes down to preference and what you're fighting. At 35, any scaling weapon will start to outdo the static ones.

Can you explain this? According to this, the furysword doesn't surpass the +5 lightning Iaito even with 40 dex (at 0 humanity).

Dresden

ShaneB said:
Well I'm back at Firelink Shrine, that wasn't so bad. Anyways... while I'm here a question about the gold armour guy and what he does. I honestly have no clues about spoilers anymore in this thread, but ah well
does he kill this woman who reinforces my estus flasks? should I off him now? what's more important, the armour from him or the flasks? etc?
I'd just
let him live, you get some extra dialogue and armor and stuff that way.

It's not a huge inconvenience so long as you remember to
rekindle that bonfire after you kill him. You'll get a firekeeper soul from him to revive the bonfire keeper, DON'T USE IT TO BOOST YOUR FLASK.

Oracle Dragon said:

What Yeb said. It contains a Divine Blessing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
g35twinturbo said:
man I hear when you beat them you get a bonfire there.

But it's pretty useless isn't it. The bonfire in the Abyss I mean. Why would you warp there? There is nothing and no way out.

Unless I'm missing something (which is probably the case)

JVIDICAN

TTP said:
But it's pretty useless isn't it. The bonfire in the Abyss I mean. Why would you warp there? There is nothing and no way out.

Unless I'm missing something (which is probably the case)
There's a "secret" covenant there.

ShaneB said:

The armor is honestly no big deal. It's a nice set but by that point you probably have better anyways, at least if you aren't rushing into Anor Londo. Not to mention either of the boss sets you get from the AL boss are probably better. I prefer to just kill him when hes in Firelink.

Aeana

Kalnos said:
Pretty hard fight, particularly on NG+, assuming you don't cheese it.
I won on my second try. I don't know if using crystal soulmass and crystal soul spear counts as cheesing, though. It was kind of funny. The fourth one appeared right behind me and was about to attack, so I turned around and crystal soulmass took him out in one shot.

Just had my first chance to test my black knight greataxe +5 on an invader. The width of its swing basically made his ring of fog irrelevant. Got close to him and just kept swinging, broke his guard and kept him pinned with hit after hit until he dropped. So satisfying :)

ShaneB

Oracle Dragon said:
The armor is honestly no big deal. It's a nice set but by that point you probably have better anyways, at least if you aren't rushing into Anor Londo. Not to mention either of the boss sets you get from the AL boss are probably better. I prefer to just kill him when hes in Firelink.

well he's dead, but he fell off the side of the cliff. Hope he didnt drop an item or something. Ah well. This is when I hate the game being so obtuse

Kalnos

Banned
Aeana said:
I won on my second try. I don't know if using crystal soulmass and crystal soul spear counts as cheesing, though. It was kind of funny. The fourth one appeared right behind me and was about to attack, so I turned around and crystal soulmass took him out in one shot.

Nah, it's easier for casters I think. By cheesing I meant putting on Havel's armor and using Iron Flesh which will make just about any character take 10 damage from any attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom