• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Carcetti said:
That's annoying. I managed to kill total of 9 humanity's worth of people as a darkwraith tonight though, with like 4 or 5 fails. I feel really bad about the last one. We did the mutual bow thing, and then when we started I killed him with my first soul spear. That usually never works and it felt immediately very cheap.

Then I decided to blast the phantom assisting him while the host was dying and when it died I got the text 'phantom knight solaire has been vanquished'. Did I screw up this guy's Solaire storyline by killing him? I have no idea about how this works but I immediately felt so evil that I had to turn the PS3 off and stop playing for now.

phantom solaire respawns

tc farks

This sucks.

After being the Quelaag boss I wanted to go to the great hallow. Couldn't find it somehow so I was like well I will just leave Blighttown the way I came and come back later. Now I'm at that bonfire next to the platform with the iato blade or whatever it is and I can't figure out how to get out of this place. I feel rather sad right now.

Just found out that Siegmeyer (in New Izalith) has to have
more than 50% of his HP left after the fight with the man eating plants in order for him to live. :( I guess I'll have to try again in NG+

Also I found out you can leave the Seath fog gate in the first location (during the fight) after you've already been there once. I wish I had have known that earlier,
it would have saved me a Ring of Sacrifice.

Zzoram

Raxus said:
How does one go about earning the crystal spells? My pyromancy is maxed out but I REALLY have to improve my sorcery.

Also, to NG++ players or higher, high high can I raise my Estus Flask? Can I get it beyond +7?

I have no idea but I imagine it would have a cap. I'm only on 4 still.

2AdEPT

Zzoram said:
People seem to think players are hacking or are infinitely higher level when they do no damage to invaders. I think what's really going on is they used strong magic shield for 30 seconds of invincibility.

As for Eagle Shield, where the heck is it? I didn't find it.
my favourite early game shield (no parry) but STRONG (maybe best?) stabilty to weight ratio at 6 wt. you can get it
in Blighttown, on one of the large support beams just to the left of the first upper bonfire (left if facing theworld from the opposing side of the water, right if looking form start coming form depths) just go forward from the bonfire and kill teh falme dogs and be mindful of an extra ladder down IIRC...you went too far if you get to the octopus creature. Just look at all the giant stone supports..one will have a boarded walkway around and you can actully see the item from above if you hit the right angle.

toasty_T said:
The path is quite short once you know where to go. I saw a lot if messages revealing the hidden bridges when I did it. You can run past solo the enemies pretty easily.

About the blacksmith in The Catacombs, I can hear him working behind a brick wall but I can't seem to break it. How shop I get to where he is?

I realize that. I'm going SunBro for the boss, and keep getting into NG+ attempts. Mucho souls.

Kalnos

Banned
Me and one of those guys who throws rocks in Blight Town won a 3v1 vs some guys heading to kill Quelaag, it was glorious.

tc farks said:
This sucks.

After being the Quelaag boss I wanted to go to the great hallow. Couldn't find it somehow so I was like well I will just leave Blighttown the way I came and come back later. Now I'm at that bonfire next to the platform with the iato blade or whatever it is and I can't figure out how to get out of this place. I feel rather sad right now.

If you're near iaito, #1 GRAB THAT SWORD -- And #2 -- iaito sits on a platform that's at the top height of blighttown -- if you can get to the side where you jump to iaito and are looking at where it is, the exit to the depths is directly behind you.

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Just found out that Siegmeyer (in New Izalith) has to have
more than 50% of his HP left after the fight with the man eating plants in order for him to live. :( I guess I'll have to try again in NG+

Also I found out you can leave the Seath fog gate in the first location (during the fight) after you've already been there once. I wish I had have known that earlier,
it would have saved me a Ring of Sacrifice.

I let him jump down and sniped the last octopus before it ever touched him. I did not get the good ending though.

I don't understand your Seath comment though; If you don't die, you won't end up in the jail cell, no?

Zzoram said:
I have no idea but I imagine it would have a cap. I'm only on 4 still.

The cap is +7.

Baha

Ok beat him, great combustion did 400 or so but Chaos Great Fireball really fucked him up fast, each one did 700 or so damage AND stun him a bit so I did it on my first try. Thanks for the help, only 2 demon weapons to make and I'll be done with my platinum run!

2AdEPT

tc farks said:
This sucks.

Which door did you enter from? I fyou have already done the depths you are literally seconds away from getting back there....if you came in through drakes and the depths door is locked, as you didn't open it yet, you are potentially half an hour away from getting home! ;) YOu are a few minutes, 15-20 away from the hollow....but you have to come back the way you came form the hollow and ash lake unless you already killed orn and smu and can warp bonfires.

Zzoram

corrosivefrost said:
I let him jump down and sniped the last octopus before it ever touched him. I did not get the good ending though.

You have to let fatty both get off a melee hit, AND have 50%+ hp left to get his proper ending.

corrosivefrost said:
If you're near iaito, #1 GRAB THAT SWORD -- And #2 -- iaito sits on a platform that's at the top height of blighttown -- if you can get to the side where you jump to iaito and are looking at where it is, the exit to the depths is directly behind you.

I don't understand your Seath comment though; If you don't die, you won't end up in the jail cell, no?

I mean, after the jail portion, if you take the elevator back up to Seath's old hangout before you encounter him in the Crystal Caves, he'll still be there. You can go back through the fog gate if you for some reason decide to go back into that room.

Zzoram

tc farks said:
I know someone asked this not too far back. But I don't remember seeing an answer and I can't find it again anyway.

I just beat the Chaos Witch and rung the 2nd bell, so I'm chilling back here with her daughter and she just gave me the Great Chaos Fireball spell. But I can't attune it, despite having my flame at +15.

What gives? Also, I know offering humanity opens up a shortcut to Lost Izalith, but how much humanity does it take? Should I wait to do this since I only have like 4 humanity and 1 twin humanity. I don't know if 1 humanity = 1 level.

I'll just patiently chill at this bonfire since the music is sounding pretty good right now.

Great Chaos Fireball takes 2 slots to attune. Only the Chaos pyros require 2 slots.

Baha said:
Ok beat him, great combustion did 400 or so but Chaos Great Fireball really fucked him up fast, each one did 700 or so damage AND stun him a bit so I did it on my first try. Thanks for the help, only 2 demon weapons to make and I'll be done with my platinum run!

If you're sure you only need to forge something from Soul of Sif and Soul of Gwyn, then here's a bit of advice in how to get to anor londo blacksmith the quickest, provided you have the master key:

Firelink > New Londo > Valley of Drakes > Blighttown> Kill Quelaag > Valley of Drakes > Darkroot Basin > Darkroot Garden > Gargoyles > Sif > Sen's Fortress > Anor Londo.

I did it in less than 2.5 hours.

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
I mean, after the jail portion, if you take the elevator back up to Seath's old hangout before you encounter him in the Crystal Caves, he'll still be there. You can go back through the fog gate if you for some reason decide to go back into that room.

Hahaha, I didn't go back up there until after he was long gone and I'd died several times over. :)

After first run, in NG+, I just used one of my 98234 (rare) rings of sacrifice.

tc farks

I'm dumb guys. I figured it out finally, don't know what I was missing there.

I'm going back through the depths. I guess my new plan is to go to Sen's Fortress and do Great Hallow - Ash Lake some other time. Didn't wanna do it that way but I want out of here for a bit.

Zzoram

corrosivefrost said:
If you're sure you only need to forge something from Soul of Sif and Soul of Gwyn, then here's a bit of advice in how to get to anor londo blacksmith the quickest, provided you have the master key:

Firelink > New Londo > Valley of Drakes > Blighttown> Kill Quelaag > Valley of Drakes > Darkroot Basin > Darkroot Garden > Gargoyles > Sif > Sen's Fortress > Anor Londo.

Why do you only have to ring one bell? Why do you have to ring any at all?

2AdEPT

corrosivefrost said:

Hahaha, I didn't go back up there until after he was long gone and I'd died several times over. :)

After first run, in NG+, I just used one of my 98234 (rare) rings of sacrifice.

yip. you forgot to mention ringing the parish bell, but I do belive THIS will be the preferred route for noobs and experts alike for early game. THe trick is to ring both bells as fast as possible which opens up the whole game. (gold hemmed arnour at SL10 doesn't hurt either!!!)

Zzoram said:
Why do you only have to ring one bell? Why do you have to ring any at all?

I was under the impression you had to ring both to get the gate to Sen's Fortress to open.

2AdEPT said:
yip. you forgot to mention ringing the parish bell, but I do belive THIS will be the preferred route for noobs and experts alike for early game. THe trick is to ring both bells as fast as possible which opens up the whole game. (gold hemmed arnour at SL10 doesn't hurt either!!!)

The "Gargoyles" was implying the gargoyle boss before the ringing of the bell in undead church. :)

2AdEPT

we.are.the.armada said:
I suck at cutting off tails - any advice for Priscilla guys? Thanks!
ANyone PVPing in the painted world seemed to know what they were doing...summon good help to
distract her/expose her tail (with fire) then chop the tail yourself! make sure ot get invaded by jeremiah as well for the xanthous set...looks cool if nothing else!!! poor fire res. but HIGH magic and lightning!

Zzoram

corrosivefrost said:
I was under the impression you had to ring both to get the gate to Sen's Fortress to open.

Ya you have to, but you can do that bell in 15 minutes if you just speedrun it.

we.are.the.armada said:
I suck at cutting off tails - any advice for Priscilla guys? Thanks!

Do you have an iaito? It's what I used (lightning +4), and it was GREAT.
Someone else recommended a falchion.

Seriously, easiest fight ever with the iaito; the invisibility was a non-factor... just circle, approach footprints, R2, continue to R2 in general area of where I could see the lightning hit. When she became visible, lock on, circle behind, attack tail.

I watched this beforehand and substituted my iaito technique for his butcher knife, sans the "plink her with an arrow to track her" since I created the R2 samurai cut technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnUJ1ZKRhmA&feature=player_detailpage#t=168s

Zzoram

Are there any new podcasts discussing Dark Souls? I'd like to hear more impressions from well past release/review to see what other people think about the game.

Goddamn from, why would you even leave flame surge in the game if it julst breaks everything when you cast it? First time I've felt like a death isn't my fault, lost a 30k stain too.

sixghost

Does anyone know if it's possible to farm the Bell Gargoyles by killing the first one, then using a homeward? I need that halberd. Two preferably.

Also, I was Chaos Servant+2, but I sort of absent mindedly killed the covenant leader for her Firekeeper soul. Will that just bump me down one rank, or reset me completely?
Zzoram said:
Are there any new podcasts discussing Dark Souls? I'd like to hear more impressions from well past release/review to see what other people think about the game.
I would really like to hear some discussion of the actual game, not just introducing the game to people that haven't played it or talking about how super duper hardcore it is. None of the podcast conversations on Dark Souls ever seem to get past that stuff.

The part in Lost Izalith with
Siegmeyer is such bullshit. I killed two of the Chaos Demons then talked to him and he jumped down the pit. Jumped down after him and wrecked the demons in like 1-2 seconds, allowing him to get a hit and I never even see his HP bar come up like it does when NPCs/enemies take a hit. He still dies. Fucking lame.

Zzoram

sixghost said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to farm the Bell Gargoyles by killing the first one, then using a homeward? I need that halberd. Two preferably.

Also, I was Chaos Servant+2, but I sort of absent mindedly killed the covenant leader for her Firekeeper soul. Will that just bump me down one rank, or reset me completely?

I would really like to hear some discussion of the actual game, not just introducing the game to people that haven't played it or talking about how super duper hardcore it is. None of the podcast conversations on Dark Souls ever seem to get past that stuff.

Maybe GAF has to make it's own Dark Souls podcast. PoliGAF in offtopic has their own podcast. It might be a good way to get more of GAF interested in the game if there was a new thread for each podcast episode. It would be a way to maintain a presence in Gaming after being moved to Community.

Varna

I don't get why there is a bonfire warp to Nito's altar or the abyss... nothing to fucken do. But of course there isn't a bonfire warp to the crystal cavern or undead parish.

tokkun

Zzoram said:
IMO pyromancy is imbalanced.

It's entirely item based, so any character with 10 INT and 10 ATT can have at least 4 chaos fireballs doing 900 damage, meanwhile a Sorcerer needs to have 50 INT to be doing the same kind of damage with sorcery. Of course, the advantage of sorcery is being able to shoot more times, but I don't feel that's properly balanced against how much INT you need to catch up in damage with pyromancy.

A few points:

1. Sorcery has homing spells. Pyro spells are difficult to hit with unless you are a tranquil walk abuser.
2. There is a shield with 100% physical & 95% fire block and it is not very heavy.
3. You can use Flash Sweat against fire damage.
4. Pyro spells tend to leave you open to backstab and require you to be in close to use them. Sorcery has longer range and with spells like homing crystal soul mass you can cast while far away then run into range.

Zzoram

Varna said:
I don't get why there is a bonfire warp to Nito's altar or the abyss... nothing to fucken do. But of course there isn't a bonfire warp to the crystal cavern or undead parish.

They are covenant bonfires. All covenants have an associated bonfire, then there is Firelink Shrine, Anor Londo, and Firelink Altar as the only 3 other warp bonfires.

knitoe

Varna said:
You need those bonfire to leave otherwise you will be stuck in that area.

tokkun

knitoe said:
You need those bonfire to leave otherwise you will be stuck in that area.

It does not need to be a warp-in bonfire, though.

I suspect that it was originally intended that you could use the bonfire for the Gravelord Covenant, but something got mixed up in development - either they forgot to enable the bonfire earlier or they forgot to include a way to continue the convenant after killing Nito.

cj_iwakura

Just slew (Anor Londo)
Gwyndolin on NG+. Wasn't too bad at all. Pure luck, really. If he keeps using arrows, he's a cinch.

sixghost

5il3nc3r said:
So i heard a patch was coming. I've just bought the game should i start now or wait for the patch?
The things that the patch should be fixing probably wont effect you until later in the game. Plus, you've got no idea when the patch will be out. Could be Monday, could be late November.

Zzoram

sara_is_anxious said:
Magic Sniper Crossbow (+10) fully loaded with Lightning bolts, you know you want to try it, trust me.

that's all I wanted to say

Crossbows are trash, you can't first person aim them to shoot past lock on range.

scy

Zzoram said:
Crossbows are trash, you can't first person aim them to shoot past lock on range.

Avelyn is pretty ridiculous. And you can aim if you aim with a real bow first, though that's kind of a round-about way to do it :/ Lets you get away with Crossbowing the Dragon for the Drake Sword, though, so you can avoid DEX points.

maomaoIYP

Zzoram said:

You know you can aim crossbow bolts and spells without locking on or 1st person aiming right? You don't even need a bow to pre-aim.

scy

maomaoIYP said:
You know you can aim crossbow bolts and spells without locking on or 1st person aiming right?

Manual aiming Crossbows (and the dagger throws) feels a bit awkward for me, though I just haven't tried too much before I just say fuck it and pull out a Bow to line up the shot :/

Zzoram said:
Depends on how you use it.

If you're maxing out your character, that's obviously stupid. If you're just using it to buy all the spells in the game and Titanite Shards/Large Shards, all you're doing is reducing the amount of boring grinding you would otherwise have to do to get trophies, but otherwise not impacting your game.

Many veteran players plan specific character builds for particular levels, for example they only want a SL 20, 80, or 120 character for PvP or PvE. Having unlimited souls doesn't make the game much easier for them, since they have purposely set limits on their soul level anyways.
I used the glitch earlier after I hit a
forest covenant NPC in blighttown accidentally when a fucking rock throwing giant slammed me into him
. I refused to grind 156000 souls just to absolve my sins so I can rejoin the covenant when the game basically fucked me over. I was tempted to use it a little more for soul leveling but it would make the game so pointless. I've already been breezing through most parts of the game and I'm soul level 80(?) now. Pyro ascended to +5 plus high stamina for gear and efficient shielding really kicks most enemies' asses. Just started catacombs btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom