• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomaoIYP

scy said:
Manual aiming Crossbows (and the dagger throws) feels a bit awkward for me, though I just haven't tried too much before I just say fuck it and pull out a Bow to line up the shot :/

It necessary for certain situations, especially for sorcerers. You can even aim at things at a much higher or lower angles than you can with the bow 1st person aim.

Zzoram

Someone just Gravelord marked my world!!!

I got the prompt about disasters blah blah.

I'm so pumped!

Or not. I don't see any red phantom versions of normal enemies around. Maybe the guy who cursed my world left the area or quit the game.

Got up tho Nito and yeah, this fight fucking sucks. Hate dealing with minions, it adds an artificial layer of difficulty. Plus that fall damage takes half my health everytime guaranteed.

Time for a break.

Aeana

toasty_T said:
Got up tho Nito and yeah, this fight fucking sucks. Hate dealing with minions, it adds an artificial layer of difficulty. Plus that fall damage takes half my health everytime guaranteed.

Time for a break.
I didn't think the minions were too bad. Take out the 3 regular skeletons with a divine weapon so they don't revive, and then just stick around the area where you fall and the others won't bother you. That's what I did anyway.

toasty_T said:

Time for a break.

When you drop, heal up immediately then wait for the Captain Save-A-Hos to come running. Bump them off as they get there, and by the time they get back up Nito should be there too. Most of his attacks accidentally kill them so you shouldn't have to worry about them much after that.

The thing that gets you screwed is going to Nito, then he's got the whole team + those two giant skeleton douches as backup.

Aeana said:
I didn't think the minions were too bad. Take out the 3 regular skeletons with a divine weapon so they don't revive, and then just stick around the area where you fall and the others won't bother you. That's what I did anyway.
I don't have any divine weapons :( I've got the Astora straight sword but my faith is so low it does barely any damage.

If I could get Nito on his own I think I could end the fight in under a minute

Zzoram said:
Someone just Gravelord marked my world!!!

I got the prompt about disasters blah blah.

I'm so pumped!

Or not. I don't see any red phantom versions of normal enemies around. Maybe the guy who cursed my world left the area or quit the game.
I got that prompt too in Anor Londo but nothing really happened. I was kinda disappointed.

JVIDICAN

I don't like being one hit by a branch while scrambling across a collapsing floor. Fuck you Bed. You're the only boss so far that's been noticeably worse in new game +. :|

yeb

Wow, I'm not sure if I should feel bad or awesome after this.

I invaded a guy with my Blue Eye Orb, and find out he already has two white phantoms with him so I promptly get destroyed. I manage to invade him again, but this time I bust out every cheap trick I can think of.

First thing I do when I see he still has the white phantoms around is I equip the Ring of Fog. Then I run, and equip my Stone Greatsword. They didn't seem to notice me at first, so I manage to make my way into the room in Anor Londo with 3 Silver Knights, which also has the benefit of being very dark. I wait there because I hear them coming down. I use Tranquil Walk of Peace just to scare them a bit, so they all charge in and I manage to hit them with Lloyd's Talisman. While they're running around, obviously locking on to the Silver Knights instead of me, I start swinging my +10 Fire Shotel at the host, and barely manage to bring him down.

It was 3v1, I don't care how I had to do it! Justice was served.

So people have been talking about patches. Which - may or may not take care of soul glitches, the online interface, and some of the more abusable tactics in the game that is unbalanced.

Is this patch confirmed to be coming - or are we just speculating at this point?

Rage time. :mad:

FUCK the final boss. He doesn't give you enough time to hit him, let alone heal. I can get him down to half life but one screw up and I'm done. And because the fight goes on FOREVER I will screw up sooner or later.

I heard Iron Flesh is helpful in this fight. Too bad the pyromancy teacher decided to up and leave. >_>

Nothing in the game gave me much trouble until now.

lowhighkang_LHK said:
So people have been talking about patches. Which - may or may not take care of soul glitches, the online interface, and some of the more abusable tactics in the game that is unbalanced.

Is this patch confirmed to be coming - or are we just speculating at this point?

the developers have talked about one in the works and that it will be out on ps3 first. What it will directly fix is speculation i believe

MrCookiepants said:

FUCK the final boss. He doesn't give you enough time to hit him, let alone heal. I can get him down to half life but one screw up and I'm done. And because the fight goes on FOREVER I will screw up sooner or later.

I heard Iron Flesh is helpful in this fight. Too bad the pyromancy teacher decided to up and leave. >_>

If you use Iron Flesh against Gwyn, you will feel like you cheated afterwards. I did.

Dresden

MrCookiepants said:

Parry!

Gamer @ Heart said:
the developers have talked about one in the works and that it will be out on ps3 first. What it will directly fix is speculation i believe

Cool. It would make sense it'd come out on PS3 first - since I think Sony lets developers put out patches faster with faster approval times.

Any ETA on this patch?

Alright guys. I'm an Anor Londo and stuck at the boss there, ya know the tag team as I like to call it. Now I'm level 47 and I just can't seem to hit hard on these guys. Now I've got the drake sword and been using it and its level'd up twice, but damn I feel I should have some decent other weapons by now that do either fire damage or electric damage but im just utterly confused on who to go to, how to upgrade, etc. I've looked at some chart that confused the shit out of me. Anyways, if anyone could give me some tips for that boss or things I could go and get/make to have this boss battle go by easier, would be great!

*edit* btw I'm pyro and have two spells but unfortunatly forgot to level them up really and my pyro at firelink dissapeared last I looked.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Alright guys. I'm an Anor Londo and stuck at the boss there, ya know the tag team as I like to call it. Now I'm level 47 and I just can't seem to hit hard on these guys. Now I've got the drake sword and been using it and its level'd up twice, but damn I feel I should have some decent other weapons by now that do either fire damage or electric damage but im just utterly confused on who to go to, how to upgrade, etc. I've looked at some chart that confused the shit out of me. Anyways, if anyone could give me some tips for that boss or things I could go and get/make to have this boss battle go by easier, would be great!

How this fight is gonna go will depend largely on your character type and
whether you want to have access to either Smough's gear or Ornstein's later on. For my character who uses a two-handed Iaito with no shield or magic, it came down to this:

- I killed Smough first, who is really easy in his normal form. I also summoned Solaire who helps a lot by drawing some of the heat off of you so you can work on one of the guys.

- Only attack one of them, when you kill one the other is gonna get fully healed, so don't waste your time.

- If you kill Smough first, be prepared to deal with a supercharged SSJ Ornstein who is a real pain in the ass. The main things to do in that fight are to get away when you see him charging electricity because he has a near OHKO attack where he stabs then electrocutes you. After an attack, move in and strike then get back out. You don't wanna go toe-to-toe with him because 9 times out of 10 he'll win. If you still have Solaire, allow Ornstein to target him then dart in and sting him while he's not paying attention to you.

- If you kill Ornstein first, you have the super Smough which isn't nearly as hard as the super Ornstein. The main pain in the ass thing that Smough has is a charge attack where he rushes you with his hammer out, then uppercuts. It's really difficult to avoid, you basically have to dodge right as he gets to you.

Speevy

Banned
Just beat Gravelord Nito, first try.

The funny thing is that I got pinned to a wall which blocked the skeletons from getting to me. Then Nito proceeds to do his scream attack over and over, which I just healed from and kept wailing on him. I was even toxic at the time.

Im a Wanderer and I just bought the Seek Guidance miracle. How do I use it? I see it on the d-pad menu as the up button but its dark like I can't use it. What gives?

Zzoram

Small Mailman said:
Im a Wanderer and I just bought the Seek Guidance miracle. How do I use it? I see it on the d-pad menu as the up button but its dark like I can't use it. What gives?

you have to have a talisman equipped to use miracles

I love love loved Demon's Souls, and I really really really want to love Dark Souls....but I feel like there is a lot more bullshit in this game. Whenever I died in Demon's Souls, I'd be like "fuck, I fucked up, gotta get better." In this one I'm dying a hell of a lot more, and often times it's not because I made a mistake. I.E. A regular enemy hitting me while I'm blocking with my stamina and health bar full, and that one hit kills me instantly depleting all my stamina and health. I lost 30,000 souls because an enemy clear on the other side of the map and nowhere near me, decided to aggro and come in and hit me from behind while I was dealing with another enemy.

I don't know if it's the class I chose, or the game itself, or what, but I've felt a lot more frustrated in this game than the original. In this one, when I beat a boss or get through a difficult section, I don't get that feeling of accomplishment because I'm so frustrated by the time I get through it, I'm just playing to get it over with instead of feeling like I'm being challenged. I've almost hit the point of giving up the game completely at least three or four times now, but I've kept going just because I really really really want to like it as much as Demon's Souls.

Speevy

Banned
Small Mailman said:

That usually means you lack some requisite for using it.

For example, if it's "Magic Weapon" and it's not available, you're not using a weapon that can be enchanted.

Probably you just don't have the stats for it yet?

EDIT: Ah, the talisman. Yeah have to use that.

Zzoram said:
you have to have a talisman equipped to use miracles
I had one in my items, I just equipped it and it says I can't use it with my current stats. Do I need Faith or something? I thought that guy who sold me this was just being religious not talking about stats...

Do divine weapons kill ghosts? Or is it only specific weapons that do that?

Just wondering since I've been using my Divine Long Sword +5 to permanently kill those skeletons, just wondering if they can hit ghosts without being cursed(like the Jagged Ghost Blade).

AlphaDragoon said:
How this fight is gonna go will depend largely on your character type and
whether you want to have access to either Smough's gear or Ornstein's later on. For my character who uses a two-handed Iaito with no shield or magic, it came down to this:

- I killed Smough first, who is really easy in his normal form. I also summoned Solaire who helps a lot by drawing some of the heat off of you so you can work on one of the guys.

- Only attack one of them, when you kill one the other is gonna get fully healed, so don't waste your time.

- If you kill Smough first, be prepared to deal with a supercharged SSJ Ornstein who is a real pain in the ass. The main things to do in that fight are to get away when you see him charging electricity because he has a near OHKO attack where he stabs then electrocutes you. After an attack, move in and strike then get back out. You don't wanna go toe-to-toe with him because 9 times out of 10 he'll win. If you still have Solaire, allow Ornstein to target him then dart in and sting him while he's not paying attention to you.

- If you kill Ornstein first, you have the super Smough which isn't nearly as hard as the super Ornstein. The main pain in the ass thing that Smough has is a charge attack where he rushes you with his hammer out, then uppercuts. It's really difficult to avoid, you basically have to dodge right as he gets to you.

I will try this later tonight. Thank you. Now I just need to get some more humanity since I only have a couple.

Ken

Lionheart1827 said:
Do divine weapons kill ghosts? Or is it only specific weapons that do that?

Just wondering since I've been using my Divine Long Sword +5 to permanently kill those skeletons, just wondering if they can hit ghosts without being cursed(like the Jagged Ghost Blade).
I tried using my Divine Washing Pole without the curse on and it didn't work, I think.

Speevy

Banned
Incendiary said:
I love love loved Demon's Souls, and I really really really want to love Dark Souls....but I feel like there is a lot more bullshit in this game. Whenever I died in Demon's Souls, I'd be like "fuck, I fucked up, gotta get better." In this one I'm dying a hell of a lot more, and often times it's not because I made a mistake. I.E. A regular enemy hitting me while I'm blocking with my stamina and health bar full, and that one hit kills me instantly depleting all my stamina and health. I lost 30,000 souls because an enemy clear on the other side of the map and nowhere near me, decided to aggro and come in and hit me from behind while I was dealing with another enemy.

I don't know if it's the class I chose, or the game itself, or what, but I've felt a lot more frustrated in this game than the original. In this one, when I beat a boss or get through a difficult section, I don't get that feeling of accomplishment because I'm so frustrated by the time I get through it, I'm just playing to get it over with instead of feeling like I'm being challenged. I've almost hit the point of giving up the game completely at least three or four times now, but I've kept going just because I really really really want to like it as much as Demon's Souls.

I think what you're trying to say is that this game is aware you've probably played Demon's Souls.

If they'd created another game where you can just carefully walk from place to place and take on baddies one at a time or cheese them with projectiles/poison, it wouldn't be hard at all.

So what they did instead (which is understandably not to everyone's liking) is to make enemies much more dangerous on the whole. So even if you are careful, you have to employ some sort of strategy, and even then there's luck involved.

Zzoram

Small Mailman said:
I had one in my items, I just equipped it and it says I can't use it with my current stats. Do I need Faith or something? I thought that guy who sold me this was just being religious not talking about stats...

talismans do have a minimum faith requirement to use, also some miracles have a minimum faith to use

Speevy

Banned
Small Mailman said:
My Faith is 9 haha, I can't see myself upgrading it when all it does is up one stat though :/

Well if you want to use miracles, you'll have to. There are some weapons that scale with faith.

I recommend dex though. A lot of the game's really awesome weapons scale with dex.

Zzoram

corrosivefrost said:
WHAT THE HELL?

I have all the rare weapons according to the guide, but my last trophy isn't popping... why the hell not?

Did you get a Channeler's Trident? Supposedly it's needed, and it's the new Pure Bladestone in terms of being a bitch to farm.

Booshka

So the Darkmoon invasions are about a 1/10 success rate for me right now. I have invaded and beaten the same dude 3 times, but that's inbetween about 2 dozen "Failed to Invade" prompts. Still pretty fun beating the guy, he's using fog ring, but trying to go toe-to-toe with me, we both have BK Great Axes, but I have much better stats than he does, and have been getting first hit most of the time. He also almost got me with some Pyromancy and a lunge attack, but I ran like a bitch, consumed a humanity then threw a fireball at him. He assumed I was as slow as he was, so he turned and ran, I caught up to him and backstabbed him for the kill.

Even though this is extremely inconsistent, it still seems better than farming harpies, which I may do, if it starts taking too long. Any suggestions on which area of Anor Londo to try and invade, I have been in the main hall before the boss trying it.

Zzoram

plasticpassion said:
I used the glitch earlier after I hit a
forest covenant NPC in blighttown accidentally when a fucking rock throwing giant slammed me into him
. I refused to grind 156000 souls just to absolve my sins so I can rejoin the covenant when the game basically fucked me over. I was tempted to use it a little more for soul leveling but it would make the game so pointless. I've already been breezing through most parts of the game and I'm soul level 80(?) now. Pyro ascended to +5 plus high stamina for gear and efficient shielding really kicks most enemies' asses. Just started catacombs btw.
Using the soul glitch to absolve your sins is totally fine IMO. The penalty for accidentally hitting an NPC is so harsh otherwise.

Zzoram

Booshka said:
So the Darkmoon invasions are about a 1/10 success rate for me right now. I have invaded and beaten the same dude 3 times, but that's inbetween about 2 dozen "Failed to Invade" prompts. Still pretty fun beating the guy, he's using fog ring, but trying to go toe-to-toe with me, we both have BK Great Axes, but I have much better stats than he does, and have been getting first hit most of the time. He also almost got me with some Pyromancy and a lunge attack, but I ran like a bitch, consumed a humanity then threw a fireball at him. He assumed I was as slow as he was, so he turned and ran, I caught up to him and backstabbed him for the kill.

Even though this is extremely inconsistent, it still seems better than farming harpies, which I may do, if it starts taking too long. Any suggestions on which area of Anor Londo to try and invade, I have been in the main hall before the boss trying it.
Wear the invasion ring too, since you sometimes get summoned from that. I was hanging around Capra, S&O, and the gargoyles trying to blue eye invade but kept the ring on that would sometimes take me to the Anor Londo rotating bridge.

Raxus

toasty_T said:
I think occult weapons damage ghosts although I'm not 100%
I tested everything. No they do not. Only the weapons dropped by the ghosts in New Land do damage to them. Good news is you will likely find a transient curse or two running through the ghosts in the area.

Booshka

Zzoram said:
Wear the invasion ring too, since you sometimes get summoned from that. I was hanging around Capra, S&O, and the gargoyles trying to blue eye invade but kept the ring on that would sometimes take me to the Anor Londo rotating bridge.
Alright thanks, can I switch rings after I get summoned? I got a pretty good build going right now that requires both Havel's and Lautrec's ring.

NIGHT- said:
Newegg sent me a discount code since my LE was canceled. Was this a universal code? I lost that email :(

Lol, it didn't even work for us the day before release. I haven't even bothered to try it yet.

Raxus said:
I tested everything. No they do not. Only the weapons dropped by the ghosts in New Land do damage to them. Good news is you will likely find a transient curse or two running through the ghosts in the area.

Yeah I mean I've been using Jagged Ghost Blades instead of the curses since I can usually take them out in 3 regular swipes. The problem is the building with a billion ghosts in it with the NPC on the roof. That I used the transient curse for. Good thing is I finally lowered the water before and got the
Very Large Ember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom