• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVIDICAN

Raxus said:
I tested everything. No they do not. Only the weapons dropped by the ghosts in New Land do damage to them. Good news is you will likely find a transient curse or two running through the ghosts in the area.
The cursed great sword of artorias damages them as well.

Zzoram

When being summoned to help against S&O I always wait for the host to hit one of them as a sign of who he wants me to kill first.

Oh, I like it when hosts are smart enough to know that drinking Estus heals their summons and actually help me help them.

Zzoram

Going from 51 to 52 INT didn't seem to increase the MagAdjust of Logan's Catalyst despite the S rank INT scaling. Since I've crossed 50, does it take 2-3 points before each increase in damage now?

Booshka

Zzoram said:
Going from 51 to 52 INT didn't seem to increase the MagAdjust of Logan's Catalyst despite the S rank INT scaling. Since I've crossed 50, does it take 2-3 points before each increase in damage now?
I think so, it may also be level based, I usually don't get increases to base stats until every other level. When I was raising STR to 58 I was only getting a 1 point damage increase every other level, I assume it is the same for Magic.

LukeSmith

Solaire was in Anor Londo at the bonfire before the boss. I've been in a bunch of summoned games with other people, but now Solaire isn't in my game at the bonfire anymore (I haven't gone human to check and see if his summon sign is still in the room before the boss).

I haven't had any accidental melees with the old Sunbro

Ken

Zzoram said:
When being summoned to help against S&O I always wait for the host to hit one of them as a sign of who he wants me to kill first.

Oh, I like it when hosts are smart enough to know that drinking Estus heals their summons and actually help me help them.
I just assume they want Smough dead first unless I see them doing a ton of damage on Ornstein and using their best spells on him.

LukeSmith said:
Solaire was in Anor Londo at the bonfire before the boss. I've been in a bunch of summoned games with other people, but now Solaire isn't in my game at the bonfire anymore (I haven't gone human to check and see if his summon sign is still in the room before the boss).

I haven't had any accidental melees with the old Sunbro

He could have moved on to the Sunlight Altar.

Booshka

Zzoram said:
Anyone playing a HUD-less run?

Did you guys even know there is a no HUD option?
I didn't know until I saw one of EpicNameBro's vids where he had it off, it looks cool, I will try it on this character when I am messing around and see how I feel with it off.

LukeSmith

Ken said:
I just assume they want Smough dead first unless I see them doing a ton of damage on Ornstein and using their best spells on him.

He could have moved on to the Sunlight Altar.

I've been soloing Smough down while the summoner and the NPC Phantom try and kill Ornstein. I want the phantom to get the sweet looking armor, not the fatty's armor

Speevy said:
I think what you're trying to say is that this game is aware you've probably played Demon's Souls.

If they'd created another game where you can just carefully walk from place to place and take on baddies one at a time or cheese them with projectiles/poison, it wouldn't be hard at all.

So what they did instead (which is understandably not to everyone's liking) is to make enemies much more dangerous on the whole. So even if you are careful, you have to employ some sort of strategy, and even then there's luck involved.

I think if it was just that I wouldn't be as frustrated. And honestly, it's actually the exact opposite. I'm frustrated because I actually have to use exploits and cheese otherwise I end up dead every time. I've spent the last hour and a half in
the Painted World
trying to get to the boss. Not even fighting the boss, just trying to get to it. The knight in front of the boss area kills me in one shot if I make a single mistake, and it's gotten to the point where I can't get past it because of the narrow area, so I literally have to lure it to the end of the bridge where it gets stuck in a loop of backing up and not attacking just so I have a chance of making it to the boss. I've only actually gotten to the boss area twice in an hour and a half of trying.

It's little things, like an enemy winding up for an attack, so I dodge behind it, only because I misjudged it by a nanosecond, the enemy is able to do a complete 180 turn and bring the attack down on me and kill me at the end of my dodge before I can even trigger a block. I feel like this kind of shit wasn't as prevalent in Demon's Souls.

Zzoram said:

Generally as a stat gets higher, it takes a bit more to see a noticeable increase in what it affects. Not many stats have a linear progression.

Zzoram

Incendiary said:
I think if it was just that I wouldn't be as frustrated. And honestly, it's actually the exact opposite. I'm frustrated because I actually have to use exploits and cheese otherwise I end up dead every time. I've spent the last hour and a half in
the Painted World
trying to get to the boss. Not even fighting the boss, just trying to get to it. The knight in front of the boss area kills me in one shot if I make a single mistake, and it's gotten to the point where I can't get past it because of the narrow area, so I literally have to lure it to the end of the bridge where it gets stuck in a loop of backing up and not attacking just so I have a chance of making it to the boss. I've only actually gotten to the boss area twice in an hour and a half of trying.

It's little things, like an enemy winding up for an attack, so I dodge behind it, only because I misjudged it by a nanosecond, the enemy is able to do a complete 180 turn and bring the attack down on me and kill me at the end of my dodge before I can even trigger a block. I feel like this kind of shit wasn't as prevalent in Demon's Souls.

I killed that knight properly the first time, but after that I just ran around him.

Protip: you can just run around most enemies in most areas once you know the level.

I'm about to go into Sen's Fortress but I've been thinking about upgrading my weapons. What is the easiest want to farm Large Titanite to make an Lightning Iaito and Quelaag Sword?

Druz

Got invaded by Folding06 or some similar name, he lagged like crazy, if I kicked him he would stagger 5 seconds later, so I'd waste all my stamina slashing through him with no effect. He finally finished me by warping to me after facing the wrong direction and instantly stabbing me with his spear, rage.

bathala

Banned
Quote said:
I'm about to go into Sen's Fortress but I've been thinking about upgrading my weapons. What is the easiest want to farm Large Titanite to make an Lightning Iaito and Quelaag Sword?
Well there is actually a merchant in Sen's that sell Large Titanite that is if u don't mind going through Sen's

Booshka

Quote said:
The top of Sen's is a decent farming spot for Large Titanite Shards, but the best is probably the Leeches in the Swamps. Some people prefer to farm Souls and then buy them from the Merchant in Sen's, but I don't suggest that, especially not on a first playthrough.

Quote said:

There won't be any lightning Iaito or Queelag Fury Sword until later. There's lightning spear inside the fortress in a mimic chest which is the earliest I think you can get a lightning weapon.

Also, there's a dude who sells large titanite shards at the top of sen's fortress. Farm for some souls in the forest and get your Iaito and a curved blade to +10 so you can convert them as soon as you get to the blacksmith in Anor Londo.

Speevy

Banned
Incendiary said:
the Painted World

One thing that might help you out is leveling up a little bit. Also search for more powerful weapons. If it's taking you more than 5 hits to kill something, your weapon isn't fit for the area.

Once you open the doors, getting to the boss in Painted World is just a straight shot from the bonfire.

Let me give you a good tip for all giant knights. Try running between their legs. It works.

But yeah, I'm totally not disagreeing with your sentiment. There are some genuinely frustrating moments in this game, and not in a good "Oh, THAT'S how you do it." way.

But I think it's still a worthy companion to the first game because of how they expanded the "Souls" universe. It's also incredibly addictive. I've put 60 hours into the game probably. However, if you aren't compelled to continue, don't. There's no sense in playing a game you don't enjoy. Find something that doesn't drive you as crazy.

Zzoram

LukeSmith said:
I've been soloing Smough down while the summoner and the NPC Phantom try and kill Ornstein. I want the phantom to get the sweet looking armor, not the fatty's armor

I don't do that because if they killed one first in NG, they'll want to do the opposite in NG+ and there is no way to know other than based on who the host is targeting.

maomaoIYP

toasty_T said:
There won't be any lightning Iaito or Queelag Fury Sword until later. There's lightning spear inside the fortress in a mimic chest which is the earliest I think you can get a lightning weapon.

Also, there's a dude who sells large titanite shards at the top of sen's fortress. Farm for some souls in the forest and get your Iaito and a curved blade to +10 so you can convert them as soon as you get to the blacksmith in Anor Londo.

Beat Sen's fortress first, get the gold serpent ring, then go farming slugs in blighttown. You can ignore the poison status because each run should be quick enough for you to reach the bonfire again. It's much faster than trying to get 4000 souls a pop, especially if you're in your first playthrough and you don't want to cheat.

LukeSmith

Zzoram said:
I don't do that because if they killed one first in NG, they'll want to do the opposite in NG+ and there is no way to know other than based on who the host is targeting.

At SL 54 on 360 I hope I'm not encountering too many NG+ folks that do less damage than I do

Zzoram

LukeSmith said:
At SL 54 on 360 I hope I'm not encountering too many NG+ folks that do less damage than I do

I think there are Japanese players in NG+ at SL20. It just takes skill and patience.

Thanks guys, I'll start my adventure into Sen's before getting crazy about upgrading.
maomaoIYP said:
Beat Sen's fortress first, get the gold serpent ring, then go farming slugs in blighttown. You can ignore the poison status because each run should be quick enough for you to reach the bonfire again. It's much faster than trying to get 4000 souls a pop, especially if you're in your first playthrough and you don't want to cheat.
Which bonfire do you rest at for this plan? The sewer tunnel or tree?

yeb

I just fought someone who ran into a room with one of the Demon Titanite enemies, and he literally sat there for 20 minutes trying to bait me in. He'd sometimes approach the door and I'd hit him, then he'd run back and use the healing miracle. Eventually he ran out of heals and left. WTF is wrong with some people?

Quote said:
Thanks guys, I'll start my adventure into Sen's before getting crazy about upgrading.

I actually find it quicker to go to the bonfire in sens then run up, kill the black knight then sprinting back again. I did it for about maybe an hour and ened up with 13 and around 25ks worth of souls, not ot mention like 4 swords, 2 axes, 4 sheilds and a bunch of other junk!

It got alot faster once I realized stripping down and stacking magic attack made my pyroballs kill him in two shots!

maomaoIYP

Quote said:

Either one is fine, although I prefer the sewer tunnel because I'm more used to the route. Make sure you have the rusted iron ring before you do so though.

Johnlenham said:
I actually find it quicker to go to the bonfire in sens then run up, kill the black knight then sprinting back again. I did it for about maybe an hour and ened up with 13 and around 25ks worth of souls, not ot mention like 4 swords, 2 axes, 4 sheilds and a bunch of other junk!

It got alot faster once I realized stripping down and stacking magic attack made my pyroballs kill him in two shots!

I prefer blighttown because it gives a shitload of green titanite as well, which I break down to titanite shards. But yeah either way is still better than farming souls to buy them off the merchant.

Johnlenham said:

ur actually making me want to go back to Sens Fortress and pick up some of the weapons i missed out. (Black Knights sword, lightning spear etc)

also - the most powerful ive got a lightning weapon is +3 (with my lightning Estoc) - i just cant seem to get the stuff to make it +5. What do i need and where can i get it?

I tried killing that boss back in the undead asylum but he always kicks my butt with those huge blasts of energy, anything that repels that stuff?

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I tried killing that boss back in the undead asylum but he always kicks my butt with those huge blasts of energy, anything that repels that stuff?

Cast iron flesh and walk through that shit like a boss

slasher_thrasher21 said:

i used iron flesh and great heavy soul arrow. make sure to heal as soon as you fall down as well.

Zzoram

yeb said:
I just fought someone who ran into a room with one of the Demon Titanite enemies, and he literally sat there for 20 minutes trying to bait me in. He'd sometimes approach the door and I'd hit him, then he'd run back and use the healing miracle. Eventually he ran out of heals and left. WTF is wrong with some people?

Some people are just trolls. I've experienced that, people always fight within a few seconds of seeing each other.

Abooie

Banned
Now this may seem a really stupid question but

I've beaten all the end bosses but can't work out where to go.

Where do I go to end the game?

Zzoram

Abooie said:
Now this may seem a really stupid question but

I've beaten all the end bosses but can't work out where to go.

Where do I go to end the game?

Firelink Altar, where you put the Lord Vessel. It's in your warp list.

Zzoram

The main PvP things that need to be patched are the Strong Magic Shield shouldn't give invincibility and the range at which Fog Ring and Tranquil Walk of Peace effect human players should be reduced.

Weapons should also scale better with stats than they currently do, to encourage people to use something other than +5 Lightning weapons.

Also, they really need to consolidate online lobbies to make online more active.

For covenants, they really need to fix Gravelord.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Damn, I think I fucked up right after tolling the two bells :lol
I attacked that disgusting serpent, no way I'm going to trust a fucking serpent with human teeth filled with meat. Now it's gone, I hope he wasn't necessary unlock any paths or anything...

maomaoIYP

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well looked up how to get Iron flesh and that guy is dead for me... I think I'm screwed on that.

Stay at his back, when you're at his back he only does 2 kinds of attack. One he flies up and drops back down on you. Just step backwards to avoid it. The other one he lifts his weapon with its tip facing the ground and slams it down onto the ground creating an explosion. You cannot block it, so you need to step away. If you're directly behind him, as long as you're a little behind the length of his tail you're fine. If you're slightly off to his side there's a chance he'll swing his weapon horizontally into the air creating an explosion. When you see the animation, run like hell to his back. Try to have as high a mobility as you can. You can leave the shield behind, you won't be blocking anything. If your weapon causes bleeding, it makes it a short fight.

Zzoram

DKnight said:
I attacked that disgusting serpent, no way I'm going to trust a fucking serpent with human teeth filled with meat. Now it's gone, I hope he wasn't necessary unlock any paths or anything...

You got rid of the normal ending, the one that tricks you into thinking it's the good ending but turns out to be the bad ending.

Pretty much. Never good to basically completlly regret going STR due to the horrible scaling. I mean why bother using stuff like the great dragon lords sword or the bloody asylum demon hamer that seemed so cool at the time when its totally worthless due to the horrible scaling!

Grinchy

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well looked up how to get Iron flesh and that guy is dead for me... I think I'm screwed on that.
You don't need iron flesh.

I beat him all melee with my dagger. You just run behind him as often as you can. I did not use lock-on iirc. After a while you will know when he's going to use that fire move. If he does the fall on his ass move, you don't have to move very far out of the way and you can get in a few good hits. *edit - beaten

Xanathus

Johnlenham said:
Pretty much. Never good to basically completlly regret going STR due to the horrible scaling. I mean why bother using stuff like the great dragon lords sword or the bloody asylum demon hamer that seemed so cool at the time when its totally worthless due to the horrible scaling!
Just wait for the next patch to come out, it may not be a failed build.

UrbanRats

DKnight said:
Same, but don't worry, you can still go through with the game.

Thanks for the help guys. I gotta try to beat this boss in Anor londor first, but then I'll go work on him. Excellent game but man sometimes you just feel so stuck and helpless only to later succeed and feeling amazing! :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom