• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incendiary said:
I love love loved Demon's Souls, and I really really really want to love Dark Souls....but I feel like there is a lot more bullshit in this game. Whenever I died in Demon's Souls, I'd be like "fuck, I fucked up, gotta get better." In this one I'm dying a hell of a lot more, and often times it's not because I made a mistake. I.E. A regular enemy hitting me while I'm blocking with my stamina and health bar full, and that one hit kills me instantly depleting all my stamina and health. I lost 30,000 souls because an enemy clear on the other side of the map and nowhere near me, decided to aggro and come in and hit me from behind while I was dealing with another enemy.

I don't know if it's the class I chose, or the game itself, or what, but I've felt a lot more frustrated in this game than the original. In this one, when I beat a boss or get through a difficult section, I don't get that feeling of accomplishment because I'm so frustrated by the time I get through it, I'm just playing to get it over with instead of feeling like I'm being challenged. I've almost hit the point of giving up the game completely at least three or four times now, but I've kept going just because I really really really want to like it as much as Demon's Souls.
I agree with this. Demon's Souls always felt like it was being fair when you died. In Dark Souls however, I've had a lot of moments where I died and it was legitimately not my fault. I still love this game, clearly I wouldn't have had 12 hour marathon sessions playing it if I didn't, but there's also times where I hate this game. Places like Blighttown and Tomb of Giants feel like straight up torture. The framerate and the input lag are also inexcusable considering this game isn't pulling off any technical feats.

Demon's Souls was a 10/10 game, whereas this is more of a 9/10 or an 8/10. It's the best game I've played this year so far but that could easily change.

Zzoram

Maybe it's because I'm a sorcerer but I didn't have any problems at any point in the game. I rarely died to bosses more than 2 times and never got stuck anywhere.

Anor Lando archers? Got past them my 3rd try.
S&O? Beat them my first try.
Tomb of the Giants? Cast Light.
Blighttown? Spidershield + farmed moss from Drakeroot Garden + Rusty Iron Ring

Yo Gotti

Banned
Ugh, Japanese players online tend to be annoying as fuck.

Had a guy come in, watch me fight enemies in Anor Londo while throwing Lloyd's Talismans at me, wait for me to lose half my health during the fight, then run up and backstab me as I tried to heal before our bout... first time getting hit by the Talisman so I didn't know what the purple glow was.

Second guy invades me, and just runs through the level slightly ahead of me as I fight enemies, basically trolling my playthrough and preventing me from saving while I was making progress. Eventually I die to a silver knight while trying to make sure this guy doesn't pull any bullshit.

I hope FROM improves the matchmaking, severely. Would be nice to get matched at high levels with people who aren't just trolling to make a niconico video.

Xanathus

Yo Gotti said:
Ugh, Japanese players online tend to be annoying as fuck.

Had a guy come in, watch me fight enemies in Anor Londo while throwing Lloyd's Talismans at me, wait for me to lose half my health during the fight, then run up and backstab me as I tried to heal before our bout... first time getting hit by the Talisman so I didn't know what the purple glow was.

Second guy invades me, and just runs through the level slightly ahead of me as I fight enemies, basically trolling my playthrough and preventing me from saving while I was making progress. Eventually I die to a silver knight while trying to make sure this guy doesn't pull any bullshit.

I hope FROM improves the matchmaking, severely. Would be nice to get matched at high levels with people who aren't just trolling to make a niconico video.
Errrr, those players are actually playing the "proper" way which FROM intended for invaders to behave. As an invader, you're supposed to give as much grief and use the levels and enemies to your advantage because you're technically at a pretty large disadvantage since the host can summon other players to help him so it can become 3 vs 1. Also the host can heal himself and his allies easily with Estus. AND, you can only invade people who are a higher SL than you (except for certain specific cases which I'm sure you aren't in).

Zzoram

Vect said:
Infinite force glitch.

I thought infinite glitches only worked for consumable items. Force is a miracle isn't it?

Even when glitching, it seems people can sometimes hit him and break the infinite force.

Xanathus

Zzoram said:
I thought infinite glitches only worked for consumable items. Force is a miracle isn't it?

Even when glitching, it seems people can sometimes hit him and break the infinite force.
That force effect is from an item, Dragon Body something.

Styles

Zzoram said:

You get a shockwave spell that is like the miracle force once you
give 30 dragon scales to the dragon covenant.

Zzoram

Ah, and because it's a quickslot item, it can be infinitely used with the glitch.

Ya I guess they have to fix that glitch in the next patch then.

What range is the dragon body force? Is it possible to stay far enough away and spam soul arrows at him?

vhfive

Is there a bonfire in the londo ruins?
I brought the water down but it's really annoying to run all the way from firelink when I die

Zzoram

I don't really understand the trick. If you get caught in it, do you get stuck forever? How come sometimes some people escape it then kill him? Does it depend on Poise?

Speevy said:
But yeah, I'm totally not disagreeing with your sentiment. There are some genuinely frustrating moments in this game, and not in a good "Oh, THAT'S how you do it." way.

But I think it's still a worthy companion to the first game because of how they expanded the "Souls" universe. It's also incredibly addictive. I've put 60 hours into the game probably. However, if you aren't compelled to continue, don't. There's no sense in playing a game you don't enjoy. Find something that doesn't drive you as crazy.

The thing is I am enjoying it. It's just like you said, there are some really frustrating areas and it just seems like they're popping up more frequently than they did in Demon's Souls. The good news is, I finally beat the area I was stuck at, and I'm back to enjoying the game again. I did a little farming, got enough stuff to finally finish upgrading my knife and shield. Right after I did my first invasion as a Blade of the Darkmoon and whooped the guy's butt (no Ring of Fog, just straight up pyromancy + Ring Shield + fully upgraded Lightning Knife). I think this covenant will be my favorite because I'm not a fan of invasions, but I love being able to lay the law down on people that do.

Zzoram said:
Maybe it's because I'm a sorcerer but I didn't have any problems at any point in the game. I rarely died to bosses more than 2 times and never got stuck anywhere.

I actually didn't have any trouble with the archers myself, mostly because I'd heard so much about them to begin with and came in prepared. I think honestly most of my difficulties come from the fact that I started as a thief, then added pyromancy since it didn't require any other stats. The earlier bosses were endurance slugfests that I had to call people in to help for since I was doing so little damage.

But after hitting 21 Dex, I've basically been pumping all my levels into Vit and Endurance (with a random Resistance or Attunement in there). I do butt-loads of damage whenever I parry or backstab. Where I run into trouble is bosses (who you can't do either to) and the larger enemies, because my regular swipes don't do tons of damage, so I have to rely on pyromancy....except if you put unbackstabable enemies in front of a boss, I end up wasting my pyro making the boss harder. It's an endless cycle.

Those are the frustrating parts. Then you have something happen that just is stupid and not your fault, such as when I was waiting for the Blighttown water wheel, and a mosquito hit me through the floor (didn't see it at all) and the force of its attack knocked me off and I fell all the way down, making me lose 30,000 souls. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about when I say I've had some cheap deaths that have soured the experience.

I agree with the guy that said this is a 9/10 instead of a 10/10 just for a few little things. The overall experience is awesome, but certain little nitpicky things end up bothering me.

Soulhouf

vhfive said:
Is there a bonfire in the londo ruins?
I brought the water down but it's really annoying to run all the way from firelink when I die
Actually the huge gate that opened up is a shortcut to valley of drakes.

Zzoram said:

Playing through the Tomb of Giants with only the skull lantern as a light source as a melee character is a nightmare. And even if you are well prepared for Blighttown (and I was), you still can't fix the consistently horrible framerate or the infinitely respawning mosquitoes. I just got to Lost Izalith and I can already tell I'm going to hate this level.

Zzoram

Mosquitoes only bothered me once in about a dozen Blighttown trips. Get a bow and pick them off, or do the same with soul arrow, before they get too close.

DarkMehm

So, I wanted to go on to
Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo, but I've heard that you need a key to go to the Painted World. I don't want to go back to the Northern Asylum. Is it easy to reach the Painting later when I have the Lordvessel
?

Chinpoko_Master said:
Playing through the Tomb of Giants with only the skull lantern as a light source as a melee character is a nightmare. And even if you are well prepared for Blighttown (and I was), you still can't fix the consistently horrible framerate or the infinitely respawning mosquitoes. I just got to Lost Izalith and I can already tell I'm going to hate this level.

Its not that bad, I got down to Nito in two trys and the first time was only because that halberd black knight aggroed from up where the three dogs are and surprise shanked me!

Eventually I just resorted to pyrobombing everything just outside of their agrro range :p

Abooie

Banned
DarkMehm said:
So, I wanted to go on to
Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo, but I've heard that you need a key to go to the Painted World. I don't want to go back to the Northern Asylum. Is it easy to reach the Painting later when I have the Lordvessel
?

You need the doll which you get by returning to your original jail cell in Northern Undead Asylum. It's very easy to get back to painting after Anor Londo.

kyubajin

Odrion said:
I haven't felt this sad nearing the end of a game in a long, long time. :(
I still have a crapton of places to explore (Crystal Caverns, New Londo Ruins, Darkroot Garden, Tomb of Giants, etc) even after 55+ hours in, yet I'm starting to feel the same way... NG+ won't be as magical as my 1st playthrough :_(

UrbanRats

DarkMehm said:
So, I wanted to go on to
?
Yeah, there is basically a bridge to it, later.

Dresden

Johnlenham said:
Pretty much. Never good to basically completlly regret going STR due to the horrible scaling. I mean why bother using stuff like the great dragon lords sword or the bloody asylum demon hamer that seemed so cool at the time when its totally worthless due to the horrible scaling!
Get a BK Greataxe, that shit destroys.

IrishNinja

you know in Andor Londo, when you're walking along the top of the church & cutting down that chandelier - you go to the right of that busty statue to proceed...but there's a treasure chest to the left that i can't get to. even falling from the rafters looks like id be nowhere close. how to reach it?

Dresden said:
Get a BK Greataxe, that shit destroys.
I know and the fucker that drops it didnt give it up so now I have to get it from the kiln which is a way off as Ive killed centiped and up to nito and got annoyed that the seath place. Got the Halberd that I didnt want though! :/

Dresden

IrishNinja said:
you know in Andor Londo, when you're walking along the top of the church & cutting down that chandelier - you go to the right of that busty statue to proceed...but there's a treasure chest to the left that i can't get to. even falling from the rafters looks like id be nowhere close. how to reach it?
When you reach the other end, look left and you'll see that platform thing with the statues set against the wall. Fall onto that, walk to the other end of the room on it, and you'll see a place that you can roll into.

IrishNinja

Dresden said:
When you reach the other end, look left and you'll see that platform thing with the statues set against the wall. Fall onto that, walk to the other end of the room on it, and you'll see a place that you can roll into.

wait, you're talking the busty statue with a knight on each side, yeah? you're saying to fall onto the base of where they're standing? i cant possibly see anything from there that'd get me back up to where the chest is - sorry if im misunderstanding, kinda late heh. wish i could see it in a video.

Chinpoko_Master said:
I agree with this. Demon's Souls always felt like it was being fair when you died. In Dark Souls however, I've had a lot of moments where I died and it was legitimately not my fault. I still love this game, clearly I wouldn't have had 12 hour marathon sessions playing it if I didn't, but there's also times where I hate this game. Places like Blighttown and Tomb of Giants feel like straight up torture. The framerate and the input lag are also inexcusable considering this game isn't pulling off any technical feats.

Demon's Souls was a 10/10 game, whereas this is more of a 9/10 or an 8/10. It's the best game I've played this year so far but that could easily change.

i agree with you on this. Demons Souls was a 9.5/10 for me. Dark Souls an 8.5/10 - a great game but man way too many small glitches or bad areas. after anor londo it has been all downhill so far...

IrishNinja said:
wait, you're talking the busty statue with a knight on each side, yeah? you're saying to fall onto the base of where they're standing? i cant possibly see anything from there that'd get me back up to where the chest is - sorry if im misunderstanding, kinda late heh. wish i could see it in a video.

Their are stairs to reach that chest. Actually there are also symetrical stairs on the other side of the room. Get there and you'll understand how to get to the chest I believe. That's how I figured it out anyway.

Dresden

IrishNinja said:
That's the spot.

Before you jump off look for stairs set into the floor of where you're standing, go down that, and then look across. Should be enough to figure it out at that point.

Audioboxer

Wish there was a way to rebuild your character. I'm at soul level 94 in Lost Ilzaith (or whatever its called).

Kind of have a mish-mash build and I would've prefered going into NG+ with a lower soul level, or at least a better build for easier summoning.

Guess I could start over, but I'm so close to finishing lol.

I remember moruid ( japanese twitch tv streamer ) trying to get that chest for like an hour. He died many times... People watching (including me) couldn't figure it out, so we kept telling him to jump. We also expected the "troll chest" to be a mimic or to contain trollface.jpg.

Took out the Four Kings and the final boss. Stayed true to my samurai-esque build the whole game. No shield, no magic/pyromancy, no cheesy Havel's or Stone armor, high mobility with Dark Wood Grain Ring, 2H Iaito. Feels good man.

NG+ Asylum Demon got wrecked by my Iaito+15 without me having to run into the gate like they expect you to unless you have Black Firebombs as a gift or a lot of time on your hands. Feels good as well man.

Zzoram

Wish there was a way to rebuild your character. I'm at soul level 94 in Lost Ilzaith (or whatever its called).

Kind of have a mish-mash build and I would've prefered going into NG+ with a lower soul level, or at least a better build for easier summoning.

Guess I could start over, but I'm so close to finishing lol.

Apparently new characters tend to finish the game much faster since you already know all the level layouts and enemy attack patterns.

Zzoram said:

Yeah, it's because you're a sorcerer... I was a sorcerer, too, and I tried playing a melee class today and the game is much harder that way.

Audioboxer

Zzoram said:
Apparently new characters tend to finish the game much faster since you already know all the level layouts and enemy attack patterns.

I might just go ahead and start over. Or even try and fly through what I have left and then instead of doing a new game +, do a new game.

Any build guides online? I have a fear it's just my terrible OCD when it comes to character progression lol. Horde souls like a mofo, take ages to spend them, then wonder if I regret my choices! Still, I definitely have a mish-mash build, bumped STR up far too high at the start of the game.

The terrible match making makes me fear my new game + at a high level would be even more lonely than it already is.

Zzoram

Should I kill Gwindolin now? Am I supposed to kill Gwenevyre before/after or can I just leave her alone to keep Anor Lando bright?

What changes when it goes dark?

Finalow

Zzoram said:

yeah but in pvp you suck pretty bad.
i mean, if someone has the fog ring or just roll very fast you can't win.

Finalow

Zzoram said:
Should I kill Gwindolin now? Am I supposed to kill Gwenevyre before/after or can I just leave her alone to keep Anor Lando bright?

What changes when it goes dark?
it changes nothing, just kill her if you want, i didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom