• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

finalozzo said:
yeah but in pvp you suck pretty bad.
i mean, if someone has the fog ring or just roll very fast you can't win.

You'd think so, but 30 homing soul mass later, they usually have less than half health, then I bust out my Lightning Estoc +5 while his hands are tired from all that rolling and usually win

Finalow

Zzoram said:
You'd think so, but 30 homing soul mass later, they usually have less than half health, then I bust out my Lightning Estoc +5 while his hands are tired from all that rolling and usually win
until now i dodged every magic just rolling away or rolling to the other player and then kill him with my weapon.
maybe we should try a match if you reach SL 160. =D

Zzoram

finalozzo said:
until now i dodged every magic just rolling away or rolling to the other player and then kill him with my weapon.
maybe we should try a match if you reach SL 160. =D

I'm pretty terrible once it gets to melee. How is it that people seemingly backstab me without being at my back?

I'll never doubt the power of pyromancy again. Casted iron flesh and walked up to Nito like the fucking T-1000 and blew flames in his face.

He didn't last long.

Chinpoko_Master said:
Playing through the Tomb of Giants with only the skull lantern as a light source as a melee character is a nightmare. And even if you are well prepared for Blighttown (and I was), you still can't fix the consistently horrible framerate or the infinitely respawning mosquitoes. I just got to Lost Izalith and I can already tell I'm going to hate this level.

I just... don't GET what it was about Blighttown that gave players so much trouble. It's just like that level from Demon's Souls... Valley of Defilement? I didn't get it then either. That level didn't give me trouble, this level didn't give me trouble. Maybe it's just the way I play? *shrug*

toasty_T said:
I'll never doubt the power of pyromancy again. Casted iron flesh and walked up to Nito like the fucking T-1000 and blew flames in his face.

He didn't last long.

see this is my problem. i have Pyro glove +15 and loads of spells, also have talismans and the wands or whatever to cast spells - adding the Pyro glove means you cant have all magics equipped like you could in Demons souls. so i have to choose...since i need a weapon equipped as well. Also - there was the one item in Demons Souls that let you do miracles and spells - i wish there was something like that here.

Pyro seems much more useful for PVP, but in single player having 60 soul arrows and all the other types of soul arrows is much more useful than the ltd range pyro spells....

Spoilt for choice..but im not sure im keen on the pyromancer mechanic with the separate glove.

Blighttown was kinda blown out of proportion in terms of how difficult it is, IMO.

On the fresh playthrough I just beat, I had started over to make a DEX build character. I ran down to Blighttown as soon as I got out of the Asylum, made my way up to the top and grabbed my Iaito, and came back down and out to the Firelink Shrine again with little difficulty. Died like twice total trying to get past the fire-shooting dogs.

Now Four Kings is some full-on bullshit that completely lives up to the rage topics about them.

Defuser

Zzoram said:
Should I kill Gwindolin now? Am I supposed to kill Gwenevyre before/after or can I just leave her alone to keep Anor Lando bright?

What changes when it goes dark?
A easier way to farm 10k souls.

Zzoram said:
Should I kill Gwindolin now? Am I supposed to kill Gwenevyre before/after or can I just leave her alone to keep Anor Lando bright?

What changes when it goes dark?

Heard something about Darkmoon guys being able to invade you with no warning on your end if you make it go dark, but that honestly could be some trolling like the whole being able to spare Sif thing (which I wish was true, I love dogs).

I left Gwynevere alive on my game, as she was cool and never did anything to me. It's not her fault
she's an illusion made by Gwyndolin of the real Gwynevere who's actually off chilling with her husband somewhere completely unaware of this.

toasty_T said:
The poor framerate combined the over-use of bloom makes Blighttown a rather unpleasant area to traverse.

See, I have to start wondering about the framerate issues in this game. I didn't have any noticeable framerate drops in Blighttown. At all. I'm not saying it didn't drop, just that it didn't drop to the point where I was like "omgz framerate". There were however two different areas that caused me EXTREME framerate problems:

1. when farming humanity near the hellkite bonfire, as I would roll off the ledge to fall down towards where the rats are, 2-3 FPS.

2. the first time I entered the depths, as I moved down towards the butchers, and specifically on the level where the butchers were, 2-3 FPS.

Now, Dark Souls did KILL my fat 80g MGS4 PS3 last weekend, and I was forced to purchase a brand new slim 320. That was BEFORE I entered Blighttown. I'm interested now, to return to the two areas that gave me trouble before and see if they are still doing it with my new slim.

Zzoram

The dusk crown that's supposed to boost magic damage actually reduces my Crystal Homing Soul Mass damage from 1140 vs Black Knights to 1110.

Nvm, crown of dusk boosts damage when it isn't a 1-hit-kill, just tested soul spear.

Zzoram

AlphaDragoon said:
Heard something about Darkmoon guys being able to invade you with no warning on your end if you make it go dark, but that honestly could be some trolling like the whole being able to spare Sif thing (which I wish was true, I love dogs).

I left Gwynevere alive on my game, as she was cool and never did anything to me. It's not her fault
she's an illusion made by Gwyndolin of the real Gwynevere who's actually off chilling with her husband somewhere completely unaware of this.

How do you know she
is chilling with her husband somewhere, or that she ever existed at all?

linko9

ShaneB said:
well he's dead, but he fell off the side of the cliff. Hope he didnt drop an item or something. Ah well. This is when I hate the game being so obtuse

He did drop some items (one of which is really good). If it's not too late, you can quit and reload your game and his items will be on the edge of where he fell off.

AlphaDragoon said:

Sif is a wolf! but the darkmoon invading is true.
It seems to only happen with the ring equipped but you get warped in to the pitch black world and the other person has no idea.
Its abit of a pain in the ass as its pitch black, no enemys to lure them into really and they can litrally be anywhere in the level and it can take a bloody age to find them!

Xanathus

Hah! Finally killed NG+ Four Kings at SL70. Had to boost my Vit and Res so that I don't get one shotted but even then it was pretty hairy. My hands are still shaking.

Xanathus said:
Hah! Finally killed NG+ Four Kings at SL70. Had to boost my Vit and Res so that I don't get one shotted but even then it was pretty hairy. My hands are still shaking.

At SL70!? My heart was pounding trying to do that (pre-Lordvessel) at SL177, god damn. What equipment/spells did you go with?

Finalow

Xanathus said:
they are pretty annoying at ng+/ng++.

linko9

Xanathus said:

Yeah, that's probably the hardest boss in the game if you don't use iron flesh. Also, please tell me you use the Xanthous armor set :)

Xanathus

TyrantGuardian said:
At SL70!? My heart was pounding trying to do that (pre-Lordvessel) at SL177, god damn. What equipment/spells did you go with?
Dusk Crown, Lightning claymore +4, Grass Crest Shield, max Pyro glove, Great Combustion, Iron Skin, Great Magic Shield

The biggest problem was damage output, Iron Skin and G. Magic Shield don't last long enough to kill them and I could easily die in 3 hits in between spell casts. In retrospect, I should have gotten and equipped another copy of G Combustion because it takes 10 casts to kill one King.

Giard

A lot of spoilers in the thread now :(

In Anor Londo, I just
entered a painting world by accident. Seems like there's no way to go back before completing it, am I wrong?

DigitalDevil said:
See, I have to start wondering about the framerate issues in this game. I didn't have any noticeable framerate drops in Blighttown. At all. I'm not saying it didn't drop, just that it didn't drop to the point where I was like "omgz framerate". There were however two different areas that caused me EXTREME framerate problems:

I have had no framerate problems either...nothing bad at least. I'm wondering if it is a PS3/360 difference? I remember way back when somebody suggested problems on the 360 version, not sure if that was every checked out or not.

As for the post above, yeah you need to finish it.

Giard said:

In Anor Londo, I just
entered a painting world by accident. Seems like there's no way to go back before completing it, am I wrong?

its not a great stage but ppl here will tell you otherwise. its not that difficult but you can get lost. there is a bonfire there. go around, open up the short cuts, head down a ladder to the basement where there are some skeletons, make sure you use the wheel thing attached to one of the walls (i missed it first time) then go out and the boss will be there.

Giard said:

In Anor Londo, I just

yes, you're stuck until you finish it.

DigitalDevil said:
I just... don't GET what it was about Blighttown that gave players so much trouble. It's just like that level from Demon's Souls... Valley of Defilement? I didn't get it then either. That level didn't give me trouble, this level didn't give me trouble. Maybe it's just the way I play? *shrug*
There are parts of that level that feel like the game is trying to troll you. I don't think it's a difficult area, it's just aggravating to play through.

Zzoram said:
How do you know she
is chilling with her husband somewhere, or that she ever existed at all?

Description on the ring you get from her states that she married the Flame God Flann. Can't remember exactly when, but you find out the other gods departed Anor Londo, including Gwynevere. She actually exists, just not in this realm. But because she was a much better "symbol" for people to look up to Gwyndolin created an illusion of her to guide people in his stead.

Zzoram

Just need Black Knight Great Sword and Channeler's Trident for the monster weapon drops in the rare weapons trophy. After that it's just the NG+ and NG++ boss soul weapons.

So where to now? Both Nito and Seath are down of the two remaining which one requires less of a time investment?

Tomb of The Giants easily eclipses Blighttown as the worst the game. Way to build up the tension by NOT ALLOWING ME TO SEE WHERE I'M GOING.

That said I'm still enjoying myself. Too bad the game had to peak so early structure-wise with Undead Burg/Parish

anddo0

Zzoram said:
Just need Black Knight Great Sword and Channeler's Trident for the monster weapon drops in the rare weapons trophy. After that it's just the NG+ and NG++ boss soul weapons.

Good luck with the Channeler's Trident. It took me almost an hour and half (70 kills) of grinding last night to get a drop.

I'll get the weapons trophy on NG++ if I can cut off Priscilla's tale and collect a few more boss souls... No more farming for rare drops!

Zzoram

anddo0 said:
Good luck with the Channeler's Trident. It took me almost an hour and half (70 kills) of grinding last night to get a drop.

I'll get the weapons trophy on NG++ if I can cut off Priscilla's tale and collect a few more boss souls... No more farming for rare drops!

I just got the Black Knight Greatsword, what a relief. Not looking forward to farming Channeler's Trident again, but I'm going to do that BEFORE I kill Gwindolin so I never have to go back to Anor Londo once I kill him.

I just need Channeler's Trident, Prescilla's tail, Gaping Dragon's tail, Gargoyle's tail axe, Divine +10, Magic +10, and Fire +10 and the NG+/NG++ boss soul weapons to finish the item trophies.

I also have to do Warrior of Sunlight covenant rank up to get the miracle trophy, but it's ridiculously hard to get someone to summon me into a boss fight. I think I've helped successfully beat 3 or 4 boss fights for other players, but given that my faith is at 8, I need to do 9 total to get into the covenant so it will take quite a bit of time.

Zzoram

toasty_T said:
So where to now? Both Nito and Seath are down of the two remaining which one requires less of a time investment?

Tomb of The Giants easily eclipses Blighttown as the worst the game. Way to build up the tension by NOT ALLOWING ME TO SEE WHERE I'M GOING.

That said I'm still enjoying myself. Too bad the game had to peak so early structure-wise with Undead Burg/Parish

Cast Light or the sunlight maggot helmet in Lost Izalith make that area ezpz, assuming you can 1-2 shot those skeletons with pyromancy.

Zzoram

When abusing the hawk girl trading, how do you ensure that you pick up the new item before the one you just put down if they are in the same spot?

I might do it for dragon scales to get the dragon body item but I don't particularly care for it

Soulhouf

DigitalDevil said:
In Demon's Souls you had the HP regen ring so the poison wasn't a trouble.
In Dark Souls thank god you have the infinite mosquitoes. With the eye thing ring you get like 30 HP for each mosquito you shot. And since they keep coming back, you have an infinite source of HP.
So yeah I agree. Provided you are well prepared, this level isn't a trouble.

Xanathus

Zzoram said:
When abusing the hawk girl trading, how do you ensure that you pick up the new item before the one you just put down if they are in the same spot?

I might do it for dragon scales to get the dragon body item but I don't particularly care for it
Try not putting it down on the same spot? You don't need to place items in the nest, just near it.

Kweh

I am playing on 360 and the framerate is atrocious at Blighttown.

There was also another point when you descend down the ladder to the rats under the bridge where the dragon sits where the game came to a crawl, anybody else had that?

Septimius

So I guess it's just duke archieves that are left for me. I'm back to like 50 humanity now, after losing 77 yesterday. People are like "why do you have so many??"

I know it stops being beneficial at 40, but it's just so much fun invading people :D yesterday I spent killing people invading me. I've got to say, generally much easier killing them than those I invade. I guess it's only natural, since they can't heal. I make it a habit to not heal when I'm invaded, either. Just more fun that way. Oh, and sorry to that guy I decimated within three seconds of invading me - I had three Capras right behind me, and I wasn't about to die to them or you, so you had to go :D

Baha

Rung both bells and forged the last 2 rare weapons. Took me a little over an hour to do with the slowest part being the fire bomb throwing giant in Sen's Fortress. I always poison arrow him, should've tried running past him this time. Anyways, I finally have my platinum :D.

Zzoram said:

You always pick up the traded item first. It won't matter if you pick up the item you just put down anyway, as long as you don't pick up the trade before putting something down.

Livanh

are there no low level guys running around in human form anymore? i'm not getting summoned at all -.-
put my summons sign down at the gargs, capra and queelag - nothing at all.

MechaX

finalozzo said:
they are pretty annoying at ng+/ng++.

No kidding. In NG+ it really comes down to whether Four Kings feels like spamming its grab move or wiffing with sword swings, simply because you won't do enough damage to kill one before the next one shows up. I tried it twice and came really close both times. The first time I severely underestimated the reach of his sword, the second, he just got annoying and started strafing my crystal ring shield shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom