• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

K' Dash

psykomyko said:
Finally beat
Sif and Seath
. For some reason I could not get past these two. Now I'm off to New Londo Ruins. Which is the better way to get cursed and to play through New Londo with? Transient? Or just get actually cursed?

Use transient and put the serpent ring, ghosts will drop transient pretty often, you'll end up having more than you need.

Sullichin

bob_arctor said:
Sen's Fortress--is that the huge gate where Onion Knight is sitting that opens after ringing the 2nd bell?

And I didn't even know about a Lost Izalith shortcut. This game is bananas.

Yes. after the initial room with the snake dudes and the trap (always fun to get them caught in that), instead of crossing the bridge drop down into the pit... you can do a plunging attack on one of the demons down there. You'll have to heal right away.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Sullichin said:
Yes. after the initial room with the snake dudes and the trap (always fun to get them caught in that), instead of crossing the bridge drop down into the pit... you can do a plunging attack on one of the demons down there. You'll have to heal right away.

Ah, thanks. Guess I will finish up Demon Ruins before heading to Sen's.

Sullichin

bob_arctor said:

Didn't even know you can do that order... I havent even been to Demon's Ruins. What level are you? You haven't been to Anor Londo yet? Sen's was challenging to me at around SL40.

finalozzo said:
anyone? :*

I'd help, but I'm only SL 130... besides, I think I'm done for awhile. Still hanging out in here answering questions, but I've moved on to Arkham City. :)

sixghost said:
If you've opened the Lost Izalith shortcut (30 humanity to the Chaos Servant cov), there's a respawning Titanite Demon in there, and it's not far from a bonfire. Other than that, I don't know of any respawning sources of Demon Titanite.

Transient Curse all the way. You'll find enough of it from drops and item pickups that you'll be ok unless you're dying a ton. Real curse should only be a last resort, because there are a ton of ghosts in that area and no bonfire. Half health there would be a bitch.

You can still farm the lost izalith demon in the shortcut, it's just a little more annoying because instead of running by a capra/taurus/worm and statues, you have to run across lava, then run by statues and kill the octopus first. It's really not much further.

As far as going into new londo cursed? Depends -- if you have a good shield and wear the gold serpent ring as one of your accessories, I highly recommend it -- I got so many drops in there that I still, after going in there *without* the ring on in NG+, I have 37 or so transient curses where I had 45 before. If you don't know where you're going or where the ghosts are, I'd say the best option is to (1) get the rite of kindling, kindle firelink to +20 estus flasks. (2) get cursed and put on the gold serpent ring. (3) Go nice and slow, never rush an area... bait and lure the ghosts out and take them on 1 on 1 with shield up avoiding the grab attack. If you see a ghost with a red eye (there are only 2) waste it as fast as you can, within reason. (3) get to Ingward, get the key, drain the ruins. (4) heal curse by your preferred method.

That's what I did -- and by the time I slowly worked through to Ingward and opened the gate I'd gone from 1 transient curse to +25. At that point, I felt comfortable enough that I'd not run out and healed the curse with a purging stone (which gives you full life, btw) and switched to the transient curse method.

I tried the ghost blade/jagged ghost blade, but their reach is so short and their damage so little that it was better to be cursed (transient or otherwise) to get the damage to kill a ghost effectively. The only other option would be using the soul of Sif immediately to get the greatsword that is cursed and can hit ghosts -- the one caveat here is that your magic and shield will not work, so you're best off 2h.

bob_arctor said:

You can't really *finish* demon's ruins before you go to Sen's, unless you've already been *through* Sen's and gotten the lordvessel, as there's a yellow fog barrier before the 2nd boss.

Sen's Fortress has 4 Titanite demons on the lower floors. As far as I can remember there are another 3 out in the wild (not counting Lost Izalith which I haven't reached yet) which are the one in Undead Burg, and the other two being in The Catacombs and Anor Londo.

For some reason I found the Anor Londo one a lot harder to kill than the rest. Still need 2 more to get Queelag's Fury Sword to +5

Mihos

Gold Member
toasty_T said:
Sen's Fortress has 4 Titanite demons on the lower floors. As far as I can remember there are another 3 out in the wild (not counting Lost Izalith which I haven't reached yet) which are the one in Undead Burg, and the other two being in The Catacombs and Anor Londo.

For some reason I found the Anor Londo one a lot harder to kill than the rest. Still need 2 more to get Queelag's Fury Sword to +5

You can kill the arnor londo one from ranged upstairs. You have to shoot through the holes in the railing. Poisen doesn't work on these guys unfortunatly

Mihos

Gold Member
corrosivefrost said:
I'd help, but I'm only SL 130... besides, I think I'm done for awhile. Still hanging out in here answering questions, but I've moved on to Arkham City. :)

I am doing the same thing, at least until the patch. Does anyone know when that is?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Sullichin said:
Didn't even know you can do that order... I havent even been to Demon's Ruins. What level are you? You haven't been to Anor Londo yet? Sen's was challenging to me at around SL40.

I am SL42 now if I remember. Haven't been to Anor Londo or Sen's. I am a Bandit class with high Strength (36 now) and my weapon of choice has been a Zweihander +6 and a Divine Great Axe +2. I just got Pyromancy a little while ago, leveled it to +6, and copped Iron Flesh and the basic fireball spell. I avoided Blighttown, only going through the lower level shortcut directly to Queelag but have messed a bit with New Londo Ruins, which I aim to go back to soon as well.

Pretty awesome how you can tackle these areas so differently.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
scy said:
I'll double check on my current file, assuming I don't sequence break the shit out of it, but he makes a remark about
the "Keeper has served me well ... but enough of her"
. Put with basically everything else he says, especially his "tips" ...

He is expounding a little bit but he does say something like "now I can get back to work bwahahahaha" in a really evil tone. I assumed he was taking about killing somebody.

Damn, I didn't hear those lines at all. I think the only things he said to me were about not getting too close to him because we don't know what may happen later, and that he is glad to see me well.

sixghost

corrosivefrost said:
You can still farm the lost izalith demon in the shortcut, it's just a little more annoying because instead of running by a capra/taurus/worm and statues, you have to run across lava, then run by statues and kill the octopus first. It's really not much further.
It's much faster to use the Daughter of Chaos Bonfire, take the lift down, then use the stairs above the Firesage Demon room.

Mihos

Gold Member
toasty_T said:
There's another towards the back with some loot next to it.

Actually I think there might be 3.

There are 2 around the corner(stay in the water, and take a right if you are facing the back)

It is a little tough to fight one without getting the other in that area.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
levious said:
how close is he to her? I checked down there. I'll hit up youtube I guess.

Yea he never showed up there in my game. I freed him from his cell, but he never appeared at firelink. I checked several times throught my journey, but he just never materialized. I even looked it up to make sure I was in the right place, I was right where I should have been he just wasn't there lol. The rest of the event with him still played out though... after Blightown.
Even though he never appeared at Firelink after saving him, I still found the murdered Fire Keeper and got her stuff... then invaded him in Anor Londo and got his stuff.
So the quest ended up working out, for some reason he just never appeared for me at Firelink and I never got his "tips".

sixghost

Mattdaddy said:
Yea he never showed up there in my game. I freed him from his cell, but he never appeared at firelink. I checked several times throught my journey, but he just never materialized. I even looked it up to make sure I was in the right place, I was right where I should have been he just wasn't there lol. The rest of the event with him still played out though... after Blightown.
Even though he never appeared at Firelink after saving him, I still found the murdered Fire Keeper and got her stuff... then invaded him in Anor Londo and got his stuff.
So the quest ended up working out, for some reason he just never appeared for me at Firelink and I never got his "tips".
Weird. You're sure you checked the area right outside of the fire keeper's cell?

Come to think of it, he actually did disappear then reappear on me before he was actually supposed to. I wonder if it's a glitch, or a very specific time in the game where he leaves Firelink temporarily before his story arc starts.

Sullichin

maomaoIYP said:
Not a single summon tonight, what gives? I fought O&S 6 times in 90 mins last night, and tonight, not even once. =(

Whenever I try to fight O&S I always get into PVP games in dark londo (fun, but not what I was looking for).. or nothing :(

.GqueB.

Banned
Zzoram said:
Mosquitoes only bothered me once in about a dozen Blighttown trips. Get a bow and pick them off, or do the same with soul arrow, before they get too close.
Or buy some throwing knives and take them out. Easy to target, fast(er than bow and arrow anyway) and theyre one shot kills.

scy

Akuun said:
Damn, I didn't hear those lines at all. I think the only things he said to me were about not getting too close to him because we don't know what may happen later, and that he is glad to see me well.

He has a lot of random stuff he says. Notably,
he gives insight into Petrus being a terrible person and it's through him you're supposed to find out about Rhea's whereabouts in the Tomb (though he tells you it expecting you to kill her). A lot of his random talks seem to bring up some shady things he does (he notes that he learns this information from some "fleeing old man" he killed, for instance)

sixghost said:
Come to think of it, he actually did disappear then reappear on me before he was actually supposed to. I wonder if it's a glitch, or a very specific time in the game where he leaves Firelink temporarily before his story arc starts.

He does seem to leave occasionally and come back, though I honestly don't know what causes it. To be honest, like 90% of the NPC scripting in Dark Souls confuses me.

Akuun said:
Oh see he says that when you get back to firelink and talk to him. He said the other stuff when you talk to him just after freeing him.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
sixghost said:
Weird. You're sure you checked the area right outside of the fire keeper's cell?

Yea I thought I was just confused or something, but I looked online and saw right he should have been. I don't know if I did something that changed the event, just missed him, or if he actually walked a path and got stuck somewhere, or if it just glitched or what. After ringing the second bell everything went along fine though.

EasyMode

Looks like I didn't explore Sen's as well as I had thought.

Lautrec's quest seems to play out no matter what. I deliberately avoided him and cause I wanted to get 3 firekeeper's souls before freeing him, but the event happened anyways despite never seeing him.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
scy said:
He does seem to leave occasionally and come back, though I honestly don't know what causes it. To be honest, like 90% of the NPC scripting in Dark Souls confuses me.

If this is true then I guess its possible I just kept missing him haha. Unlucky maybe?

maomaoIYP

Sullichin said:
Whenever I try to fight O&S I always get into PVP games in dark londo (fun, but not what I was looking for).. or nothing :(

How does that happen? You're wearing the darkmoon summoning ring? Take it off man!

sixghost

maomaoIYP said:
How does that happen? You're wearing the darkmoon summoning ring? Take it off man!
It's probably people who are having trouble with S&O, so they
Kill Gywnevere to make to run from bonfire
wait nevermind, that's impossible. How does that happen?

Giard

Am I crazy, or does the Bloodshield increase damage taken on blocked enemies? None of the wikis mention it.

Nvm, seems all shields work that way

Sullichin

maomaoIYP said:

I'm not wearing the darkmoon summoning ring. I'm wearing havels ring and ring of favor and protection (which I'm terrified that I'll accidentially remove). Dropping white summon stone. Already beat O&S in my game. Hollow.

maomaoIYP

sixghost said:
It's probably people who are having trouble with S&O, so they
Kill Gywnevere to make to run from bonfire
wait nevermind, that's impossible. How does that happen?

That's exactly my point! It's not possible! Unless he's farming the NPCs as a human in dark anor londo while waiting for S&O summons.

edit
Sullichin said:
I'm not wearing the darkmoon summoning ring. I'm wearing havels ring and ring of favor and protection (which I'm terrified that I'll accidentially remove). Dropping white summon stone. Already beat O&S in my game. Hollow.

You mean you can get invaded in dark anor londo even as a hollow?

EasyMode said:
Looks like I didn't explore Sen's as well as I had thought.

Lautrec's quest seems to play out no matter what. I deliberately avoided him and cause I wanted to get 3 firekeeper's souls before freeing him, but the event happened anyways despite never seeing him.

Yup -- I found him, let him out and immediately killed him cause I didn't like his attitude in my first game. NG+, I let him out to do the stuff that requires him. NG++ I didn't even go near him (my extent of undead burg/parish was limited to the building with Andre, using the elevator in the church in case I needed the shortcut later, and going straight to the roof to kill the gargoyles. He still got out and did his thing. I was quite pissed when
I warped from anor londo after killing smough and ornstein to do something quickly at firelink (don't remember what) only to find out she was dead and I had to grab her orb and go kill Lautrec. Fucker.

maomaoIYP said:

People can summon you for whatever purpose they want if you put down your sign.
If that person is a griefer who wants to kill all comers in Anor Londo and is just standing around as a human waiting to be invaded, well, have fun. Or use the black separation crystal. :)

Sullichin

maomaoIYP said:
That's exactly my point! It's not possible! Unless he's farming the NPCs as a human in dark anor londo while waiting for S&O summons.

edit

You mean you can get invaded in dark anor londo even as a hollow?

No, I get summoned into someone else's game right by the boss, and then THEY get invaded. Anor londo is not dark in my world btw.

maomaoIYP

Sullichin said:
No, I get summoned into someone else's game right by the boss, and then THEY get invaded. Anor londo is not dark in my world btw.

Ahhh I get it. Anor londo isn't dark in their world too then I guess. I could go for that now, I'm so bored from waiting.

Sullichin

Mihos said:
What covenent are you in?
Covenant of the white, never joined another one. Can I even leave white summon stones if I'm not?

maomaoIYP said:
Ahhh I get it. Anor londo isn't dark in their world too then I guess. I could go for that now, I'm so bored from waiting.

Anor Londo is dark in the world i get summoned to, not in my world. don't know about the world's of the invading players. It's happened a few times, the player who summons me messages me saying to wait for invaders. Red and blue phantoms come. It's fucking fun as hell actually even though I suck at PVP. Also it takes way too long to get summoned, I'm waiting forever.

EasyMode

corrosivefrost said:
Yup -- I found him, let him out and immediately killed him cause I didn't like his attitude in my first game. NG+, I let him out to do the stuff that requires him. NG++ I didn't even go near him (my extent of undead burg/parish was limited to the building with Andre, using the elevator in the church in case I needed the shortcut later, and going straight to the roof to kill the gargoyles. He still got out and did his thing. I was quite pissed when
I warped from anor londo after killing smough and ornstein to do something quickly at firelink (don't remember what) only to find out she was dead and I had to grab her orb and go kill Lautrec. Fucker.
In my case I didn't even kill the gargoyles or ring any bells.
Instead I just made a run to the New Londo firekeeper soul, then the one in Blighttown. Went back to Firelink to upgrade my Estus and fuuuuuuu...

MechaX

Even after skipping the worst part of Izalith, I absolute hate this area.
On the way to the boss after the short cut, the floor gave way at a certain location and I fell into a swampy-like area with some Cthulhu-looking things. I thought "Hey, a place I haven't seen in my first playthrough!". But naturally, for the effort one would have to go through to fight all the enemies here, I only got shit like crappy soul items. And one of them ended up breaking all of my equipment as a "middle finger" to me with its breath attack before dying.
Now that I have beaten the boss, again, I never want to fucking see this place for a long time.

Hopefully Tomb of Giants isn't too bad on the NG+ run.

Ken

Sullichin said:
Covenant of the white, never joined another one. Can I even leave white summon stones if I'm not?.
You can leave white summon signs regardless of your covenant.

So covenant stuff is mainly for online pvp stuff, correct?

Some covenants focus on online co-op (Way of White, Princess' Guard, Warrior of Sunlight), and the others on online PvP. I usually just join covenants for the items and leave. For example, the Warrior of Sunlight covenant gets you lightning spear miracles, while the Princess' Guard gives you support miracles. Chaos Servant gives you Chaos pyromancy while Way of the Dragon gives you items that turn you into a dragon and also an item that lets you invade people with dragon scales.

I like the Darkwraith covenant for the infinite use invasion item.

finalozzo said:
anyone? :*

I'll try and co-op with you =p I am at...SL140 something now, on New Game+++, so I'll get to Blighttown as soon as I can.

Side Note: As I mentioned before, the difficulty jump now is so minor, I nearly didn't notice! Then again, using both pyro and sorcery is working well as an alternative (excluding the Catacombs, the first time....hate using Divine weapons)

Why did I not realize that there's an item that let's you get summoned into peoples worlds for PVP duels instead of strictly invading? That's awesome and explains how i got invaded recently, not realizing what I was clicking.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
DigitalDevil said:
Oh see he says that when you get back to firelink and talk to him. He said the other stuff when you talk to him just after freeing him.
That explains it. I left him alone after freeing him because I tried talking to him repeatedly and he just said he needs some time to move. I thought that was all he was going to say.

Mihos

Gold Member
EasyMode said:
In my case I didn't even kill the gargoyles or ring any bells.
Instead I just made a run to the New Londo firekeeper soul, then the one in Blighttown. Went back to Firelink to upgrade my Estus and fuuuuuuu...

The spider witch chick and the firekeeper in Anor Lando can upgrade Estus also.

elty

Can I just join covenant A, get the initial reward, leave via the church guy, join B, get reward.... and continue without sinning?

EasyMode

Mihos said:
The spider witch chick and the firekeeper in Anor Lando can upgrade Estus also.
Yep, I ended up taking them to the chaos chick. I was just wondering how far I could upgrade my Estus before facing Quelaag.

elty

Speevy said:
What is the purpose of the black eye orb that the dead firekeeper left?

Where and when am I supposed to use it?

I think it is for
invading the gold knight realm in Anor Londo, so you can reclaim the firekeeper soul and resurrect her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom