• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihos

Gold Member
Speevy said:
What is the purpose of the black eye orb that the dead firekeeper left?

Where and when am I supposed to use it?

The black eye orb vibrates right before S&O room... yuo can invade and kill her killer to bring her back to life

MechaX said:
Even after skipping the worst part of Izalith, I absolute hate this area.
On the way to the boss after the short cut, the floor gave way at a certain location and I fell into a swampy-like area with some Cthulhu-looking things. I thought "Hey, a place I haven't seen in my first playthrough!". But naturally, for the effort one would have to go through to fight all the enemies here, I only got shit like crappy soul items. And one of them ended up breaking all of my equipment as a "middle finger" to me with its breath attack before dying.
Now that I have beaten the boss, again, I never want to fucking see this place for a long time.

Hopefully Tomb of Giants isn't too bad on the NG+ run.
It isn't too bad, to be honest, but those skeleton dogs are a stamina drain! As for that area you discovered, that is very important for a certain character's storyline. Well worth it in my opinion as you'll get a Titanite slab for doing it (and feel sad after...although I failed on New Game++ to save him)

frequency

Speevy said:
What is the purpose of the black eye orb that the dead firekeeper left?

Where and when am I supposed to use it?
Just keep playing. You'll know when to use it.

But if you want details:
You use it to invade Lautrec at Anor Londo in the room before the boss. You get a Firekeeper Soul from him to revive the the dead Firekeeper at Firelink Shrine... but make sure not to use it to upgrade your flask by mistake!

Sullichin

Soulhouf said:
But you can't block while you attack with a scythe, can you?

Spears do less damage but it's more safe, have a better range and the thrust attack make it easier to attack enemies in narrow places without being blocked by the walls.

it's true, it's why I bothered upgrading my demon's spear at all, just so I have a different type of weapon.

Sullichin

Speevy said:
Okay, what if I've already beaten Smough and Ornstein? Is it something you can do any time?

it's in the room right before that boss with the two big dudes and the archer. You should get a message saying it's quivering?

DONT be like me and
use the firekeepr soul to upgrade your flask. I was so happy to have an opportunity to upgrade my flask that I failed to realize this soul could have revived the firekeeper in firelink shrine :(

scy said:
That and Lautrec pretty much
outright says he's going to kill the Fire Keeper before leaving.

When does he do it? People say when you enter the Depths, bu I already killed the Gaping Dragon & went to Blighttown & he still didn't kill her.

.GqueB. said:
Or buy some throwing knives and take them out. Easy to target, fast(er than bow and arrow anyway) and theyre one shot kills.

So how do the Mosquitoes respawning work?

Do they respawn only when you leave a zone or is it a timed thing where after a few seconds, more will come or do they indefinitely respawn only in a certain area?

StMeph

MechaX said:
On the way to the boss after the short cut, the floor gave way at a certain location and I fell into a swampy-like area with some Cthulhu-looking things. I thought "Hey, a place I haven't seen in my first playthrough!". But naturally, for the effort one would have to go through to fight all the enemies here, I only got shit like crappy soul items. And one of them ended up breaking all of my equipment as a "middle finger" to me with its breath attack before dying.
Now that I have beaten the boss, again, I never want to fucking see this place for a long time.

There's a Red Slab down there. And it's part of the
Siegmeyer
quest line.

Audioboxer

Going to start a new game instead of finishing this current one.

Pyro or Sorcerer it is! Is cleric good for magic as well? Fancy trying a magic build with no cheap shots this time around (drake sword). Although I'll require a weapon good enough for cutting off tails.

scy

EasyMode said:
In my case I didn't even kill the gargoyles or ring any bells.
Instead I just made a run to the New Londo firekeeper soul, then the one in Blighttown. Went back to Firelink to upgrade my Estus and fuuuuuuu...

See You Next Wednesday said:
When does he do it? People say when you enter the Depths, bu I already killed the Gaping Dragon & went to Blighttown & he still didn't kill her.

My understanding is
she dies, regardless of where Lautrec may or may not be (well, if he's alive), once you pick up any second Fire Keeper soul. This can be done with absolutely no boss kills and only making progress in three areas (New Londo, Valley of the Drakes, Blighttown). And even then it's like a 5 minute trek into Blighttown and less than a minute in the others.

EasyMode

Volcynika said:
I think it's after you ring the second bell.
He can do it before you ring either bell in my experience.

scy said:
My understanding is
she dies, regardless of where Lautrec may or may not be (well, if he's alive), once you pick up any second Fire Keeper soul. This can be done with absolutely no boss kills and only making progress in three areas (New Londo, Valley of the Drakes, Blighttown). And even then it's like a 5 minute trek into Blighttown and less than a minute in the others.
I think you're right.

GeekyDad

The Dragonslayer Spear is kinda shitty...any suggestions for a great weapon with the stats I now have (Str/Dex both 24)?

Sullichin

Last night I was so tired playing this that I accidentially upgraded my Iaito instead of the curved sword that I planned on making into queelagg's sword. So now I have a lightning Iaito.. love the move set of that weapon.

Zzoram

maomaoIYP said:
OMG white dragon breath with tin crystallization catalyst, I love you.

It kinda disappoints me. Shorter range than Crystal Soul Spear and around the same damage, although it does do splash in a straight line.

Desaan

GeekyDad said:
The Dragonslayer Spear is kinda shitty...any suggestions for a great weapon with the stats I now have (Str/Dex both 24)?

24/24 is still kind of low to get any benefit off stat scaling, we worked out the other day that to make he DS spear +5 do the same damage as a lightning spear +5 you would need at least 50 dex and around 35 faith. Your best bet is to push a weapon of choice to +15 then use the spell magic weapon, or greater magic weapon (15int) when you need the extra damage.

The highest damage weapon I think I ever had was the Murakumo +10 fire, was around 800 damage in stat page but obviously effected by resists on certain creatures. One or two shotted almost anything undead.

Zzoram

EasyMode said:
In my case I didn't even kill the gargoyles or ring any bells.
Instead I just made a run to the New Londo firekeeper soul, then the one in Blighttown. Went back to Firelink to upgrade my Estus and fuuuuuuu...

Lautrec's trigger is you picking up your second Fire Keeper Soul, no matter when you do it.

Zzoram

Risk Breaker said:
Wo wo wo, I killed Stray Demon's cousin... and now I'm fighting something MUCH worse.

I don't know how will I kill this monster, UGH.

If you mean in the Demon Ruins, try cutting off the tail first.

Zzoram

Carcetti said:
If I were to build a character just to help other people, what build should it be? Faith for healing?

Anything strong enough to be helpful really. You can't heal the host when summoned anyways. In fact, they are supposed to heal you with their Estus.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Almost done with this game!! I only need to do Painted World, Duke's Archive/Crystal Cave, then the Final Dungeon! So excited!!!

RedSwirl

What's the most complete map anyone has of this game? I've noticed that the one that comes with the special edition is just of the first "layer," and that Dark Souls is more vertical than horizontal, seeing as you start the game on top of a mountain.

krakov

Do they respawn only when you leave a zone or is it a timed thing where after a few seconds, more will come or do they indefinitely respawn only in a certain area?

From a lot of places you can se them respawn right in front of you and pretty much instantly. I think they will stop coming after you in some areas of the swamp and when you get high up on either side.

finalozzo said:
what, stopping point? The hell are you talking about.

Was where pvp dried up in Demon's Souls. Poster you're quoting is assuming it will be the same with Dark Souls. I have a hunch it will go higher this time around.

Zzoram

Lionheart1827 said:
Question about New Game +. Prob answered already, but do you keep all your items, including weapons/armor as well as shard materials and such?

You keep everything except keys (keep master key though), abyss walker ring, embers, and the lord vessel.

Xanathus

Lionheart1827 said:
Question about New Game +. Prob answered already, but do you keep all your items, including weapons/armor as well as shard materials and such?
Everything except keys and key items like embers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Zzoram said:
You keep everything except keys (keep master key though), abyss walker ring, embers, and the lord vessel.

I heard you lose charred orange ring? Anyone confirm/disprove?

MechaX said:

Did you not get the red titanite slab in there?
Also, if you started and followed the Onion Knight questline, that's where the last step of it occurs which will either result in a rare ring (speckled stoneplate) or a titanite slab.

Clear said:

Confirmed.

scy

Lionheart1827 said:
Ahh ok, sucks about the Embers, but I can see why they dont carry over. Thanks.

Keep in mind that they're only necessary for the actual Ascension of weapons (i.e., "Modify" command); the leveling of them can be done by any Blacksmith or even yourself with the toolbox for it, even without the required Embers (i.e., you can't make a new Enchanted weapon but you can upgrade it still).

Audioboxer

Just started a sorcerer guys :) I've played through 90% of the main game myself, but to get me up to speed from anyone who's done an experienced Sorcerer/Magic run, any goodies I should go get immediately after getting to firelink? I know I can get an Estoc below firelink somewhere.

This sorcerer guide seems pretty decent, although I don't think I'll be going for 70 in INT. More in Endurance I think.

I'm not going anywhere near the Drake Sword.

.GqueB.

Banned

I honestly never stood around too long to find out. I do remember one instance where I was standing near the lower bonfire and I saw another one appear in the same spot as the one that was coming toward me. I just left the area.

It seems they just come out of nowhere.

scosher

NEOPARADIGM said:
Was where pvp dried up in Demon's Souls. Poster you're quoting is assuming it will be the same with Dark Souls. I have a hunch it will go higher this time around.

Was there a mathematical/gameplay reason why the PvP community decided to stop around SL 120 in Demon's Souls?

Insaniac

Just started a sorcerer guys :) I've played through 90% of the main game myself, but to get me up to speed from anyone who's done an experienced Sorcerer/Magic run, any goodies I should go get immediately after getting to firelink? I know I can get an Estoc below firelink somewhere.

This sorcerer guide seems pretty decent, although I don't think I'll be going for 70 in INT. More in Endurance I think.

Two big things: head to new londo ruins and talk to the blacksmith in the cell. there you can buy an extra soul arrow and heavy soul arrow, which will very useful.

When you get to the first undead merchant in the undead burg, be sure to buy the burg resident key (if you don't have the masterkey). Once you have access to the lower undead burg you can immediately save the trapped guy in one of the locked residents (watch out for dogs and assassins) he will sell you more spells and a particularly useful ring which boost sorcery damage (which essentially powers up your spells while you can spend points in other things like vitality or whatever)

Also later in the game perhaps invest in pyromancy. your sorcery damage boosting items will work with pyromancy and also I find pyro spells to be more useful in close range than soul arrows

Put at least 1 point into attunement right off the bat for 1 extra attunement slot

I used to get summoned for co-op Quelaag a lot and if I was quite a distance away from the summoner any mosquitos I'd put down would just revive again after a few seconds. Really weird.

scy said:
Keep in mind that they're only necessary for the actual Ascension of weapons (i.e., "Modify" command); the leveling of them can be done by any Blacksmith or even yourself with the toolbox for it, even without the required Embers (i.e., you can't make a new Enchanted weapon but you can upgrade it still).

Ahh true, I forgot about that. I still have a ways to go to beating my first playthrough, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting close. Just tying up some loose ends before the game gets harder in NG+.

Zzoram

Clear said:

I think so, you're right.

None of that is a big deal. I'm ~100 hours into just NG due to farming for weapons/materials for trophies and at this point I have pretty much every level perfectly memorized and can zip through them each in like 5 minutes. I imagine NG+ or new characters will progress super fast.

scy

Stat wise, depends on your SL Goal. Basically:

I'm just now starting a new INT character so here's my thoughts on it:

Vitality - Fill out as needed to reach your SL. You'll basically worry about this last.

Attunement - 6 slots is where I feel comfortable on a Mage (23 Attunement); up to you, really.

Strength - As needed for equipment you plan to use; 16 is typically as high as you need it
unless you have aspirations for the really big equipment.

Dexterity - See Strength, though 14 (Great Scythe, Shotel), 12 (Halberd), and 10 (Claymore) are the notable values.

Endurance - 40 for max Stamina.

Intelligence - 40 is where Magic weapons stop scaling, 50 is where Enchanted roughly stop scaling and 50 is about where Crystal Magic Weapon starts really slowing down. I'd aim for 50 personally but 40 is fine if you want to end up at a lower SL.

My current goal is:

Vitality - Dunno still~
Attunement - 23
Strength - 16
Dexterity - 14, currently
Endurance - 40
Intelligence - 50

And keeping around the 100 SL mark with starting class of Pyromancer.

Notable equipment is really just the Dusk Crown and Antiquated Legs, both in the Darkroot Basin after killing
the Hydra and then the Crystal Golem in the back; return to the shore after freeing Dusk from the Golem, summon her (buy her spells if you want), and then return to where the Golem was for a body to loot. The Crown is +Spell Damage and the Legs are amazing for their weight.
Other notable early set is the Crimson Armor set in Blighttown that isn't hard to reach if you took the Master Key at the start.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
re: mosquitoes

In the blighttown swamp there is a little group of 2 or 3 mosquitoes in a central position across from the waterwheel. Basically as you kill them, a replacement respawns within a second or two.

With Fog Ring on you can snipe them down with a bow and watch it happen in complete safety.

If you get far enough away after aggroing them, they will lose interest and return to this spot.

Once you know the lie of the land they really aren't an issue. Generally speaking the best tool to use against them is a bow at range and pyromancer combustion up close. The latter is really handy when they are hiding behind walls as you can fry them through surfaces that would otherwise block weapons.

Grinchy

Banned
Speevy said:
Before I put on Ring of Favor and Protection, can it replace Havel's ring?
Depends on what you are looking for. IIRC Havel's ring is 50% extra equip burden and RFP will only do 20% (but has other 20% bonuses too). I have just used the RFP the whole game so far and kept my equip burden <25% with light armor.

Speevy

Banned
Sullichin said:
it's in the room right before that boss with the two big dudes and the archer. You should get a message saying it's quivering?

DONT be like me and
use the firekeepr soul to upgrade your flask. I was so happy to have an opportunity to upgrade my flask that I failed to realize this soul could have revived the firekeeper in firelink shrine :(

Yeah I should have checked the forum. I did it too. :(

Thanks anyway, I killed the bastard.

Speevy

Banned
Grinchy said:
Depends on what you are looking for. IIRC Havel's ring is 50% extra equip burden and RFP will only do 20% (but has other 20% bonuses too). I have just used the RFP the whole game so far and kept my equip burden <25% with light armor.

Well I'm wearing Havel's armor set and suspect that I might have a problem if I removed it. I'll check it out and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom