• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Leunam said:
Havel's ring is like a 50% bonus. The bonus from Favor and Protection isn't as big.

Well I'd wear them both but I have to complete New Londo ruins soon.

Guess I'll wait a little bit.

Insaniac

scy said:
Stat wise, depends on your SL Goal. Basically:

I'm just now starting a new INT character so here's my thoughts on it:

Vitality - Fill out as needed to reach your SL. You'll basically worry about this last.

Attunement - 6 slots is where I feel comfortable on a Mage (23 Attunement); up to you, really.

Strength - As needed for equipment you plan to use; 16 is typically as high as you need it
unless you have aspirations for the really big equipment.

Dexterity - See Strength, though 14 (Great Scythe, Shotel), 12 (Halberd), and 10 (Claymore) are the notable values.

Endurance - 40 for max Stamina.

Intelligence - 40 is where Magic weapons stop scaling, 50 is where Enchanted roughly stop scaling and 50 is about where Crystal Magic Weapon starts really slowing down. I'd aim for 50 personally but 40 is fine if you want to end up at a lower SL.

My current goal is:

Vitality - Dunno still~
Attunement - 23
Strength - 16
Dexterity - 14, currently
Endurance - 40
Intelligence - 50

And keeping around the 100 SL mark with starting class of Pyromancer.

Notable equipment is really just the Dusk Crown and Antiquated Legs, both in the Darkroot Basin after killing
the Hydra and then the Crystal Golem in the back; return to the shore after freeing Dusk from the Golem, summon her (buy her spells if you want), and then return to where the Golem was for a body to loot. The Crown is +Spell Damage and the Legs are amazing for their weight.
Other notable early set is the Crimson Armor set in Blighttown that isn't hard to reach if you took the Master Key at the start.

IMO you don't need nearly that much endurance. I've run with about extra points in endurance above the base and its been fine (wearing ring of favor/protection)

At SL 101 i've got 46 vit, 28 attune, 13 endurance, 10 str, 11 dex, 8 resist, 56 INT, and 8 faith. I have 1730 HP and 116 stamina.

My armor is Crown of Dusk, Gold hemmed rob, havel's gaunts, Antiquated skirt. This puts me at 26.9 / 56.4 equipload. Smart use of the grass crest shield always leaves me with enough stamina to block most hits (honestly you shouldn't even be in range of monsters for the most part)

scosher said:
Was there a mathematical/gameplay reason why the PvP community decided to stop around SL 120 in Demon's Souls?

Not that I'm aware of. The way I heard it explained was that that's where the action dried up, so almost a self-fulfilling prophecy in that sense. But maybe it was mathematical, I dunno.

edit: for a PvP build proper, though, I guess there's the sense that you never want to be a level higher than you need for the weapons, gear & spells you want to use, so that will always be mathematical and will always be pretty low. (The #1 player in Book of the Guilty is only SL20, for instance.)

Wallachia

Weirdness last nite in Dark Souls. ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS ABOUT?

1) Hydra in Ash Lake died on it's own, for no reason. +10,000 souls though. Cool.

2) In Darkroot Wood, near the Forest Protectors.. Humanity was just sitting to the right of Alvina's dwelling. I got it, and died. Next life, the Dark Wood grain was sitting in the same place. Got that too. WTF?

Thread move too fast, can't catch up.
But man, finally rung the second bell last night, was stuck in BlightTown for quite a while.
hate Quelagg so much

EasyMode

Speevy said:
Someone needs to tell the people who run the Dark Souls Wiki to turn off those damn sound effects.
Look for the chat on the bottom left. Click the speaker and tell it to remember your setting.

J2d

Why do I get invaded by these vengeful spirits? I have invaded two times, all by accident when I was with the forest covenant, and killed zero so why the fuck do these assholes keep coming for me? Sure I've killed a couple of vengeful spirits when I got summoned but wtf am I supposed to do?

The last asshole kept using some kind of force magic repeatedly, felt like there was fuck all I could do against him.

Booshka

Speevy said:
Someone needs to tell the people who run the Dark Souls Wiki to turn off those damn sound effects.
It's a live chatbox on the left of the page, I close it every time I look at the wiki. Turns off the annoying sound.

scy

Insaniac said:
IMO you don't need nearly that much endurance. I've run with about extra points in endurance above the base and its been fine (wearing ring of favor/protection)

At SL 101 i've got 46 vit, 28 attune, 13 endurance, 10 str, 11 dex, 8 resist, 56 INT, and 8 faith. I have 1730 HP and 116 stamina.

My armor is Crown of Dusk, Gold hemmed rob, havel's gaunts, Antiquated skirt. This puts me at 26.9 / 56.4 equipload. Smart use of the grass crest shield always leaves me with enough stamina to block most hits (honestly you shouldn't even be in range of monsters for the most part)

40 Endurance is really more of a PvP thing, to be perfectly honest. If it's purely PvE, you can probably just do whatever. I don't like using Havel's or RoFaP if only due to being allowed freedom of choice for both my Ring slots.

Not that there's that many useful rings.

Also, it's under the assumption of meleeing with the build since Magic/Enchanted weapons scale really well and Crystal Magic Weapon can push pretty high numbers as well.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Lionheart1827 said:
Question about New Game +. Prob answered already, but do you keep all your items, including weapons/armor as well as shard materials and such?

except for keys and progression items iirc

Zzoram

Just started a sorcerer guys :) I've played through 90% of the main game myself, but to get me up to speed from anyone who's done an experienced Sorcerer/Magic run, any goodies I should go get immediately after getting to firelink? I know I can get an Estoc below firelink somewhere.

This sorcerer guide seems pretty decent, although I don't think I'll be going for 70 in INT. More in Endurance I think.

I'm not going anywhere near the Drake Sword.

Once you get to Fire Link Shrine, immediately farm up ~2000 souls in the Undead Burg and go back to Fire Link, go down the elevator to New Londo Ruins, and talk to the Blacksmith behind bars, he sells Soul Arrow for 2000 souls. Once you've doubled up and have 60 Soul Arrows to shoot, you'll be able to more easily clear the Undead Burg without running out of shots. As soon as you can, also save up ~4000 souls to buy Heavy Soul Arrow from the same Blacksmith for use on Black Knights and bosses. These two spells, plus your starter copy of Soul Arrow should be sufficient to go pure sorcery until you free the sorcery seller in Lower Undead Burg with either the Master Key or the key purchased from the Undead Burg hollow man merchant.

20 or 30 Vitality (added when you feel it necessary)
20 to 40 Endurance (depends on how high a level you plan to go, shouldn't be raised until INT is at least 24 and you have 19 ATT and 10 STR and 12 DEX already)

10 STR (mainly for Spider Shield for Blighttown/general use and Crest Shield against mages)
12 DEX (short bow for luring enemies to split them up like the ogres in Blighttown)

23 Attunement for 6 slots (maybe 28 for the 7th slot if you can spare the levels, I personally went for 34 to get my 8th slot)

at least 24 INT (for Crystal Homing Soul Mass)
preferably 50 INT for a true sorcery focus (when Logan's Catalyst starts to taper off but is still best)

If you get well past SL100, then you'll want to cap off END at 40, and just crank up INT and VIT

10 STR and 12 DEX also lets you use an Estoc, which you should make into a Lightning Estoc +5, a Fire Estoc +10, or an Enchanted Estoc +5.

J2d said:
Why do I get invaded by these vengeful spirits?

You need to absolve your sins with the black-wearing dude by the first bell if you want it to stop, afaik. I've never been invaded by one of them as I have never sinned. You clearly have. ;)

Leunam

Wallachia said:

1) Hydra in Ash Lake died on it's own, for no reason. +10,000 souls though. Cool.

2) In Darkroot Wood, near the Forest Protectors.. Humanity was just sitting to the right of Alvina's dwelling. I got it, and died. Next life, the Dark Wood grain was sitting in the same place. Got that too. WTF?

Your disc is haunted. D:

NEOPARADIGM said:
You need to absolve your sins with the black-wearing dude by the first bell if you want it to stop, afaik. I've never been invaded by one of them as I have never sinned. You clearly have. ;)

The blue phantoms? I absolved my sins and got invaded in Anor Londo before the boss door.

Zzoram

J2d said:
Why do I get invaded by these vengeful spirits? I have invaded two times, all by accident when I was with the forest covenant, and killed zero so why the fuck do these assholes keep coming for me? Sure I've killed a couple of vengeful spirits when I got summoned but wtf am I supposed to do?

The last asshole kept using some kind of force magic repeatedly, felt like there was fuck all I could do against him.

the Iron Flesh pyromancy spell apparently makes that force spam useless, that or shooting poison arrows/soul spears at him from a distance

Did you kill any NPCs that weren't hostile? That adds to your Sin count and might put you into the book of the guilty. The two people you invaded might've Indicted you if they had Indictments on them when you killed them, which also puts you into the Book of the Guilty. I think paying for absolution removes you from the book so Blue Phantoms stop invading you, but normal Red invaders can still come for you, but maybe it doesn't work like it's supposed to.

scosher

Insaniac said:

Disagree, at least for PvP. Endurance is probably one of your most important stats, not just for equip burden, but for increased stamina. It means things like extra punishes after a block cause you have more stamina to use, or a roll. 40 is considered the ideal stopping point cause that's when you cap out your max stamina at 160 (no more gains after that). A pure spellcaster could get away with less cause he's not using stamina for attacks, but I'd still shoot for 30 or so for good blocking/evading.

Wallachia said:

Hydra @ Ash Lake will beach itself trying to go "home" if you run to the end successfully... it's a pathing bug. ;)

Zzoram

NEOPARADIGM said:
Not that I'm aware of. The way I heard it explained was that that's where the action dried up, so almost a self-fulfilling prophecy in that sense. But maybe it was mathematical, I dunno.

edit: for a PvP build proper, though, I guess there's the sense that you never want to be a level higher than you need for the weapons, gear & spells you want to use, so that will always be mathematical and will always be pretty low. (The #1 player in Book of the Guilty is only SL20, for instance.)

The lower level you stay, the more people will be available to play with you. There are very few characters running around at SL200 but there are a lot more in the SL20-60 range from new players or new characters. SL120 is apparently where people tended to finish NG+ and people very rarely went beyond that so it was decided that SL120 was as far as you would reasonably go or else you'd risk having nobody to play with.

the #1 guy in the Book of the Guilty is SL20 because it lets him invade new players or new characters. The majority of active characters at any given time is probably in the SL20-SL40 range so being there means a very active PvP invading career.

Despite being SL20, he probably has a very min-maxed build with epic equipment. He's probably in NG+, if only because progressing through the game let him get better PvP gear.

Leunam said:
The blue phantoms? I absolved my sins and got invaded in Anor Londo before the boss door.

I thought that was the whole thing: Darkmoon dudes invade people listed in Book of Guilty; to get into Book of Guilty, you have to kill an innocent; absolving removes your name from the book.

????

I have no reservations about being correct. lol Who the fuck knows. Like I said though, I've never been invaded by one of those guys as I've never killed anyone who wasn't red, and have never invaded another player.

Zzoram said:
SL120 is apparently where people tended to finish NG+

Good call. I'm sure you're right about that. So basically whatever the natural finishing level for Dark Souls NG+ will be its cutoff as well.

Kyoufu

Wallachia said:

Dudes jumped off a cliff.

Insaniac

scosher said:
Disagree, at least for PvP. Endurance is probably one of your most important stats, not just for equip burden, but for increased stamina. It means things like extra punishes after a block cause you have more stamina to use, or a roll. 40 is considered the ideal stopping point cause that's when you cap out your max stamina at 160 (no more gains after that). A pure spellcaster could get away with less cause he's not using stamina for attacks, but I'd still shoot for 30 or so for good blocking/evading.

to each their own I suppose

Audioboxer

Thanks for all the help guys :D

Is it possible to run to get crimson armor with a master key out the gate? I can't remember exactly where it is in blighttown.

scy

Thanks for all the help guys :D

Is it possible to run to get crimson armor with a master key out the gate? I can't remember exactly where it is in blighttown.

It is at the very start of Blighttown down some of the ladders (but long before reaching the wheel or the swamp itself). Off-hand, I don't think you even run into anything besides mosquitos on the way to it, barring the three enemies in the tunnel.

Oh yeah and also in New Game +, does the covenants reset? When I was talking to the forest covenant guy I hit No because I couldnt understand what the fuck he was talking about. That soured my relationship with that stupid cat and theres no way I'm spending 140k souls just to be able to get that covenant achievement.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
mjc said:
Queelag is still destroying my face. And I'm running out of opportunities to regain my humanity. Any tips?
Equip as much fire-resistant stuff as possible. Lightning enchant your weapon if you can, because I hear that deals extra damage to her.

Learn the timing for her sword attacks. If she raises it high to the sides, it's a sideways swing and you can either backpedal or roll them. If she looks like she's going to stab the sword, it's a sword thrust. SIDE ROLL those because they have very good range and do surprisingly high damage.

If she pats the spider's head, it's a fire puking attack from her spider. There's a short version and a long version. For the long version, get behind her and two-hand sword smack her a few times, but get away after a few strikes because she is likely to do a red burst-type attack that I couldn't block.

Just be patient, space her out so that you don't get cornered by lava puddles, and you can wear her down.

Zzoram

Lionheart1827 said:
Oh yeah and also in New Game +, does the covenants reset? When I was talking to the forest covenant guy I hit No because I couldnt understand what the fuck he was talking about. That soured my relationship with that stupid cat and theres no way I'm spending 140k souls just to be able to get that covenant achievement.

I think they do reset, but whatever covenant you were still in at the time you finished the game, you keep whatever advanced rank you may have with them.

mjc

corrosivefrost said:
What equipment/spells/loadout?
SL with main stats?
Pyromancer SL 29

Drake Sword
Fireball
Heavy Soul Arrows

My shield and armor is in the mid 20s for defense...but I forgot their names. I summoned Mildred to help but I keep drawing the aggro even if she's whacking her.

Edit: I don't have any fire resistant armor...where can I get some?

Zzoram

mjc said:
Pyromancer SL 29

Drake Sword
Fireball
Heavy Soul Arrows

My shield and armor is in the mid 20s for defense...but I forgot their names. I summoned Mildred to help but I keep drawing the aggro even if she's whacking her.

I think it goes without saying that you shouldn't use Fireball against a monster that shits lava.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I killed Havel and took his ring. Now I'm leveling up my elite knight armor and my bow. Then I'm kill the capra demon

Zzoram

truly101 said:
I killed Havel and took his ring. Now I'm leveling up my elite knight armor and my bow. Then I'm kill the capra demon

Sounds like a plan.

Capra isn't that hard, just figure out a way to run around until you find an opening to get to the stairs. At that point, it's likely a win.

So I've just rung the second bell in NG+ at SL 77. So far I managed to be summoned a couple of times for NG+ quelaag but thats all the co-op action I've seen so far. However I'm getting invaded constantly, whenever I turn human it's almost instant. It's a lot of fun most of the time but the one thing I absolutely hate are laggy backstabs that seem to be initiated from nowhere near my back. Especially from people that never even try anything else, just constantly run around you in circles trying to get it in. Grr. Maybe I need to start working on vit (only have 15) so they aren't always one shot kills.

Insaniac

mjc said:
Pyromancer SL 29

Drake Sword
Fireball
Heavy Soul Arrows

Edit: I don't have any fire resistant armor...where can I get some?

quelaag gave me the hardest time with my melee character (was the last boss i fought with him) the lava spewing really limits your ability to manuever around her and her ridiculous melee range means you need to whack her in the back legs. You basically just gotta be extremely patient, go in for a few hits, and run around for a long time till you can get behind her again. if you can summon mildred get in as many hits as possible while mildred has aggro

Zzoram

mjc said:
Yeah...I use the soul arrows on her.

Equip a shield that blocks a higher fire %. Sort through the ones you have (that you have the requirements for) and pick the best fire % block that also has 100% physical.

Exhaust all your soul arrows, then cut away, but never do more than 1 or 2 hits at a time before backing up to be safe.

Zzoram

Air Zombie Meat said:
So I've just rung the second bell in NG+ at SL 77. So far I managed to be summoned a couple of times for NG+ quelaag but thats all the co-op action I've seen so far. However I'm getting invaded constantly, whenever I turn human it's almost instant. It's a lot of fun most of the time but the one thing I absolutely hate are laggy backstabs that seem to be initiated from nowhere near my back. Especially from people that never even try anything else, just constantly run around you in circles trying to get it in. Grr. Maybe I need to start working on vit (only have 15) so they aren't always one shot kills.

If the guy seems to be trying to circle you, keep backing up, and switch to throwing items like dung pie at him.

It causes Toxin to build up, a few hits and he'll be toxic and drain health very fast. It affects you too but you can use Estus, he can't.

sixghost

Akuun said:
Equip as much fire-resistant stuff as possible. Lightning enchant your weapon if you can, because I hear that deals extra damage to her.

Learn the timing for her sword attacks. If she raises it high to the sides, it's a sideways swing and you can either backpedal or roll them. If she looks like she's going to stab the sword, it's a sword thrust. SIDE ROLL those because they have very good range and do surprisingly high damage.

If she pats the spider's head, it's a fire puking attack from her spider. There's a short version and a long version. For the long version, get behind her and two-hand sword smack her a few times, but get away after a few strikes because she is likely to do a red burst-type attack that I couldn't block.

Just be patient, space her out so that you don't get cornered by lava puddles, and you can wear her down.
Also, if she leans over and gives the spider a big hug, fucking run. That's the queue for the energy burst attack that does a ton of damage.

EasyMode

Can someone clarify (I don't have the mask to test it): does the Mask of the Child have the same stamina regen as the Cloranthy Ring? These two items do not stack, correct?

Zzoram

24FrameDaVinci said:
Anyone wanna help me with those bitch archer in Londo?

SL?

Always go on the right side, just run straight across, roll if necessary to dodge an arrow, then get close to the archer until he pulls out a sword, at which point you've won.

If you have Fog Ring or Hidden Body, you won't even aggro them until you're almost across the bridge.

Leunam

24FrameDaVinci said:
Anyone wanna help me with those bitch archer in Londo?

Do you have a good shield and stamina? What I did was run up there and get close enough to him so he would draw his sword. I hugged the wall with my shield up and locked on to him. He circled the other way and actually dodged back and off the building. Give that a try.

Zzoram

EasyMode said:
Can someone clarify (I don't have the mask to test it): does the Mask of the Child have the same stamina regen as the Cloranthy Ring? These two items do not stack, correct?

Cloranthy Ring and Grass Crest Shield supposedly stack, so Mask of the Child should too.

Non-identical items typically stack, even if the effect is the same.

SolidC213

Does betraying covenants and sin carry over to a New Game? I was wanting to kill all NPC's in the game before I go beat it but not if its going to carry over.

Zzoram

SolidC213 said:
Does betraying covenants and sin carry over to a New Game? I was wanting to kill all NPC's in the game before I go beat it but not if its going to carry over.

Sin doesn't even matter, more invaders is exciting.

Insaniac said:
quelaag gave me the hardest time with my melee character (was the last boss i fought with him) the lava spewing really limits your ability to manuever around her and her ridiculous melee range means you need to whack her in the back legs. You basically just gotta be extremely patient, go in for a few hits, and run around for a long time till you can get behind her again. if you can summon mildred get in as many hits as possible while mildred has aggro

I had a hard time timing my attacks with her to not take damage, so I just hid behind a shield and poked her with my winged tip spear (wasn't even well upgraded at the time).

With solid fire resist gear / shield - even though it wasn't 100% block, it was enough to do the trick - beat taking big damage if I timed my attacks wrong and took full damage from her other attacks.

I'd keep an eye on how much lava she had spewed out onto the ground, and if things were getting cramped run to the other side of the chamber and lure her to me and have some fresh land to work with.

Zzoram said:
If the guy seems to be trying to circle you, keep backing up, and switch to throwing items like dung pie at him.

It causes Toxin to build up, a few hits and he'll be toxic and drain health very fast. It affects you too but you can use Estus, he can't.

Thanks for the tip, will try that next time. Got loads of dung pies I haven't used yet. The thing that bothered me the most with this one guy last night was that I was keeping him in front of me, I hit him four times while he's circling getting him down to a sliver of health then boom! suddenly he's warped behind me and instakilling me with a backstab. Just lag making it look that way to me I guess but it was really annoying. Lost loads of souls and humanity because of it as well :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom