• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
and i can confirm that you don't need any ghost blades for the knight trophy. never had any drop for me in 2,5 playthroughs.

Qwgwg.jpg

J2d

Leunam said:
The blue phantoms? I absolved my sins and got invaded in Anor Londo before the boss door.
Zzoram said:
the Iron Flesh pyromancy spell apparently makes that force spam useless, that or shooting poison arrows/soul spears at him from a distance

Did you kill any NPCs that weren't hostile? That adds to your Sin count and might put you into the book of the guilty. The two people you invaded might've Indicted you if they had Indictments on them when you killed them, which also puts you into the Book of the Guilty. I think paying for absolution removes you from the book so Blue Phantoms stop invading you, but normal Red invaders can still come for you, but maybe it doesn't work like it's supposed to.
Seems conflicting but yea I've killed them all two times, I'l look into it though.

mjc said:
Pyromancer SL 29

Drake Sword
Fireball
Heavy Soul Arrows

My shield and armor is in the mid 20s for defense...but I forgot their names. I summoned Mildred to help but I keep drawing the aggro even if she's whacking her.

Edit: I don't have any fire resistant armor...where can I get some?

I'm not aware of fire resistant armor.
Your Fireball is useless on her. If you have Iron Flesh, however, that might be worth pyromancy being equipped.

Those heavy soul arrows and any other magic you have would be good. When I was helping people beat her, I would stay as far away as possible and spam heavy soul arrow, great heavy soul arrow, and great soul arrow with the bellowing dragoncrest (boost sorcery) equipped (tin banishment catalyst). It got even better when I managed to take out the hydra in darkroot basin; if you can do that, you can free Dusk of Oolacile -if you buy her catalyst, it's got some insane magic adjust that is just permanent with no scaling. I went from doing 180 a pop to doing 400 a pop with great heavy soul arrow.

If you have to stay close, make sure you're mobile -- make sure your shield is the best you have (fire resistance wise) and has 100% physical block. Summon Mildred in hopes she takes the focus off you, stay back, use your soul arrows till all gone -- then lock on and circle til she starts attacking and you end up on the side or in back -- quickly switch to 2H and go to town then back out -- always keep a good distance, because if she uses the force push heat thing, you're probably proper fucked.

You could potentially try taking your best non-drake sword weapon and try putting pine resin on it.

Carcetti

Zzoram said:
The lower level you stay, the more people will be available to play with you. There are very few characters running around at SL200 but there are a lot more in the SL20-60 range from new players or new characters. SL120 is apparently where people tended to finish NG+ and people very rarely went beyond that so it was decided that SL120 was as far as you would reasonably go or else you'd risk having nobody to play with.

the #1 guy in the Book of the Guilty is SL20 because it lets him invade new players or new characters. The majority of active characters at any given time is probably in the SL20-SL40 range so being there means a very active PvP invading career.

Despite being SL20, he probably has a very min-maxed build with epic equipment. He's probably in NG+, if only because progressing through the game let him get better PvP gear.

This makes me want to do a low level dex assassin but it's hard to estimate where to take stats in those 20 levels. Low soul level gives you so much more invasions since apparently you can invade people lot higher than you so it's not just a griefing mechanic. Now just to pick a weapon? Some sort of a knife or a short sword? Spear?

Carcetti

corrosivefrost said:
I'm not aware of fire resistant armor.

The swamp pyromancer armor set itself is heavily fire resistant and easy to upgrade with cheap shards. It's on a corpse in blighttown swamp so you can get it before Quelaag even if you don't start as pyro.

24FrameDaVinci said:
Anyone wanna help me with those bitch archer in Londo?

Some fellow gaffer had some great advice bout this spot a few days ago but the best thing I took away from it was simply, "Don't block" You block an arrow the knockback is going to kill you. Just sprint up the last part, close in to the archer on the right and roll under the arrow he shoots. Get in his face, he'll draw his sword and then you take him out. I was a pyro so I blasted greater combustion in his face twice and that was the end of that.

If you get hit with an arrow you stumble and there's a chance you stay on the ledge, block one and you'll be knocked back and fall to your doom.

Zzoram

Nothing is better than invading someone, looking all over and not finding them, only to have a Crystal Soul Spear come out of a barrel and hit you in the back.

Zzoram said:
Nothing is better than invading someone, looking all over and not finding them, only to have a Crystal Soul Spear come out of a barrel and hit you in the back.
aha wait till you invade and get fog ring pyro raped before you even have control of your character

BeeDog

So, figured I'd get the weapon-related trophies before tearing my hair out at the last boss. Can someone give recommendations on what I should upgrade for:

Standard Weapon (+15)
Raw Weapon (+5)
Magic Weapon (+10)
Chaos Weapon (+5)
Occult Weapon (+5, but I figured I'll just upgrade the Occult Club)
Crystal Weapon (+5, but it's worthless anyway)

Any suggestions are appreciated. Wanna get the "best" weapon in each category, if possible.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm constantly reading about people accidentally killing merchants, and I'm always thinking "Hah! what idiots, I'd never be so careless!"

...but lo and behold.. Yeah, look at that idiot in the mirror..

I think there should be a "Are you really sure?"-patch..

FFS...

Zzoram said:

Haha, I completely forgot I had that spell. Think I'm going to have to try it out on some invaders tonight.

Augemitbutter said:
and i can confirm that you don't need any ghost blades for the knight trophy. never had any drop for me in 2,5 playthroughs.

http://i.imgur.com/Qwgwg.jpg[/QUOTE]

Congratulations !

I wish I'd seen your message before farming the ghost blades. Gold ring + 30 humanity + bad luck + way too much time = 72 transient curses + 12 jagged ghost blades (TWELVE) and eventually just one ghost blade. Hmph...

What about that pole from those titanite demon ? Please tell me it's not needed.

How did you manage to get the spells that require online interactions (especially the gravelord one) ?

I can't seem to be able to invade with the darkmoon blue eye and the gravelord thing is absolutely not working for me. Unless I'm missing something you have to kill at least two people for each eye of death you use in the hope to reach the 30 needed... Given I used 4 to absolutely no avail , I'm on the verge of giving up on the platinum.

Zzoram

Johnlenham said:
aha wait till you invade and get fog ring pyro raped before you even have control of your character

That just sucks. When I was ambushed by a barrel, that made me laugh out loud.

I'm level 27, I should not have this much difficulty finding a person to invade/co-op. I've only seen two non-NPC summon signs in 20 hrs of play (~6 of those human) and I've had all of my cracked red eye items fail.

Also, the cracked eye orb being consumed even if you fail to invade is fucking bullshit.

Zzoram

Invasion or summoning takes time. Put down a new sign every 5 minutes to reset the online lobby you're in. Do something else like read or post on GAF while waiting for it to happen.

Carcetti

Sir Garbageman said:
Some fellow gaffer had some great advice bout this spot a few days ago but the best thing I took away from it was simply, "Don't block" You block an arrow the knockback is going to kill you. Just sprint up the last part, close in to the archer on the right and roll under the arrow he shoots. Get in his face, he'll draw his sword and then you take him out. I was a pyro so I blasted greater combustion in his face twice and that was the end of that.

If you get hit with an arrow you stumble and there's a chance you stay on the ledge, block one and you'll be knocked back and fall to your doom.

You don't even have to hit them to take them out. Once you run up, roll couple of times on the ledge towards the right mob, ignore one on left. Get in his face and whip a shield out. After a couple of hits his own momentum of blocked hits will throw him off and you're off to the bonfire.

So what's the main item used to just invade similar to the cracked red eye orb and where do you get it?

I know there has to be a permanent one as I have lost all of my cracked ones to failed invasions as well. Quite frustrating!

goodfella

The game will arrive in the post tomorrow, any essential information I should know before playing?

I want to go in a fresh as possible, so something such as getting the cling ring in demons souls would qualify as essential to me.

I'm (if this post gets no replies) so ready for the game!

Carcetti

So what's the main item used to just invade similar to the cracked red eye orb and where do you get it?

The Red Eye Orb.

You get it by joining Darkwraith and leveling it up to +1 with 10 humanity sacrifices.

To join Darkwraith you have to
Get the Lordvessel from the princess, then NOT talk to Frampt. Instead you go next to New Londo Abyss and Kill the Four Kings, then talk to Kaathe there.

Zzoram

Thagomizer said:
I'm level 27, I should not have this much difficulty finding a person to invade/co-op. I've only seen two non-NPC summon signs in 20 hrs of play (~6 of those human) and I've had all of my cracked red eye items fail.

Also, the cracked eye orb being consumed even if you fail to invade is fucking bullshit.

You can get an unlimited use invading item if you join the Darkwraith covenant.

Zzoram said:
You can get an unlimited use invading item if you join the Darkwraith covenant.

I'm aware of that. It doesn't change the fact that loosing the item if the game fails to find a player to invade is dumb as this is in no way the player's fault and they shouldn't be punished for it.

BeeDog said:
Any suggestions are appreciated. Wanna get the "best" weapon in each category, if possible.

Don't know about it being the best, but I roll Occult Scythe +5 and it's pretty nasty. Have done over 1000 damage with it off a parry and my faith, dex, & str aren't even that high (all under 25).

ultron87

Carcetti said:
To join Darkwraith you have to
Get the Lordvessel from the princess, then NOT talk to Frampt. Instead you go next to New Londo Abyss and Kill the Four Kings, then talk to Kaathe there.

The fact that they make
disobeying one of the few things the game actually tells you to do a requirement for getting the infinite invasion item really really annoys me

Booshka

Just beat 4 Kings on NG+++, they have so much HP, jeez. I didn't have to use Iron Flesh, just put on Havel's gear, Grass Crest Shield on my back and 2H my BK Great Axe. I consumed a Stamina moss before the fight started and noticed a pretty big difference, but it's hard to eat another one while the fight is going on, better off just healing while your stamina regens. As long as I am all up in their shit, the attacks do little damage, once they get a little range though, each hit takes nearly 1000 HP from me.

Only took a few tries to kill the Stray Demon, but I cannot for the life of me kill the stupid knight right after in front of the doll. Worse is I lost all the souls I got from the Stray Demon. I have the doll now but I WILL KILL THIS FUCKER.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
bj00rn_ said:
I'm constantly reading about people accidentally killing merchants, and I'm always thinking "Hah! what idiots, I'd never be so careless!"

...but lo and behold.. Yeah, look at that idiot in the mirror..

I think there should be a "Are you really sure?"-patch..

FFS...
I've started to follow the whole "do not fire unless fired upon" rule. If it's something I haven't seen before, I'll walk up to it and see if it tries to kill me.

I also put away any weapons if I'm talking to an NPC, and turn away after I start the dialogue so that I don't hit them by accident if any of the shoulder buttons trigger for whatever reason.

Xanathus

Booshka said:
Just beat 4 Kings on NG+++, they have so much HP, jeez. I didn't have to use Iron Flesh, just put on Havel's gear, Grass Crest Shield on my back and 2H my BK Great Axe. I consumed a Stamina moss before the fight started and noticed a pretty big difference, but it's hard to eat another one while the fight is going on, better off just healing while your stamina regens. As long as I am all up in their shit, the attacks do little damage, once they get a little range though, each hit takes nearly 1000 HP from me.
Geez, why are you even playing NG+++? I'm probably going to stop playing after getting platinum and maybe building an INT character in anticipation of the patch. There's really not much else to do after experiencing all the content since co-op is such a bitch to get working.

Booshka

NEOPARADIGM said:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/tshop/rk1vn4.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Haha exactly, I died the first try because I tried to heal right after I got hit by one of those huge attacks, bad idea, while I was healing I got hit again. The better thing to do is to just rush toward it and then heal when you are right next to it.

Edit: I keep playing because I like leveling my character and upgrading all kinds of gear, it's fun to me to try and get a bunch of Heavy Armor upgraded, while increasing my Endurance to wear it. I also haven't got all the Achievements/Trophies yet, because I wasn't really going for them for most of my playtime, I have been for a while now, and only need 4. I've been messing around with some Covenants and trying to get the online to work, but it's inconsistent to say the least.

Zzoram

Akuun said:
I've started to follow the whole "do not fire unless fired upon" rule. If it's something I haven't seen before, I'll walk up to it and see if it tries to kill me.

I also put away any weapons if I'm talking to an NPC, and turn away after I start the dialogue so that I don't hit them by accident if any of the shoulder buttons trigger for whatever reason.

I started doing all that in Demon's Souls so I was doing that out of instinct when I started Dark Souls. It's a good thing too, I haven't accidentally hit any NPCs.

sixghost

Anyone got any idea what's wrong here?

I've got my Hollow Soldier Shield at +10, and I'm at Andrei, but it won't let me upgrade it to +11. It's in neither Modify or Reinforce weapons.

Shields go up to +15 normal right?

Zzoram

sixghost said:
Anyone got any idea what's wrong here?

I've got my Hollow Soldier Shield at +10, and I'm at Andrei, but it won't let me upgrade it to +11. It's in neither Modify or Reinforce weapons.

Shields go up to +15 normal right?

some shields go up to 15 others 10

Did you give him the large ember yet? There is an ember that lets him ascent a +5 to +6 and an ember that lets him ascent a +10 to +11

kyubajin

FINALLY made it to
Seath the scaleless
, guy cursed me... cursed for the 1st time! cursed for the 1st time!

FINALLY reached the Tomb of Giants bonfire, hating the place with a passion. Since I'm 100% melee I have to resort to the skull lantern... guess it's better than nothing.

FINALLY made it to
Four Kings
, guys obliterated me... I'm loving New Londo Ruins, it gives me the creeps and I love it.

My progress seems to be so slow now... I decided to ascend the Dragon Tail Axe to Fire +3 but it still pails in comparison to my old and rusty Lightning +3 Spear. Nothing beats Lighting apparently...

sixghost

Zzoram said:
some shields go up to 15 others 10

Did you give him the large ember yet? There is an ember that lets him ascent a +5 to +6 and an ember that lets him ascent a +10 to +11
It's already at +10 so that means I've given him the large ember. And I'm 99% sure I've given him the very large ember, but I guess I'll run to New Londo and make sure.

Finalow

btw why the fuck do i find only black phantoms at level 169?
it's not ''there is nobody at that level'' it's ''there are only dudes that want to invade your world''.
W. H. Y.

Zzoram

sixghost said:
It's already at +10 so that means I've given him the large ember. And I'm 99% sure I've given him the very large ember, but I guess I'll run to New Londo and make sure.

you don't need the very large ember to get to +10, only to +11

BeeDog

Oh, by the way, is it worth upgrading the Black Knight Shield to +5? I'm trying to use the base version against the last boss (to block the fire damage), but he hits so hard I get staggered. Simply put, will an upgrade let me block the attacks without getting staggered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom