• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varna

Wait a second...

When you kill
Gwyndolin isn't it suppose to get dark and all enemies are suppose to vanish
? Getting ready to finish the game so I decided to collect as much stuff as I can... so I took care of him. Got his soul and everything. Except everything still the same. The princess is still around too.. isn't she just an
illusion
?

Letters said:
(firelink bonfire related)

After killing the guy who murdered the firekeeper woman, I got distracted and used her soul to upgrade my estus flask... I have permanently killed my chances of ever lighting up the firelink shrine bonfire again. It's one of my favorite locations and even if it's just a videogame, I'm completely devastated right now.. fuck this.. seriously :_(

Letters!! Recognize you from the Reach OTs.

Anyway, this exact thing happened to me. I have not found a way
to relight Firelink
. I killed
Queelag's sister
for a soul, and it didn't work.

JVIDICAN

strong magic shield, ring of fog, and a lighting shotel +5. fanfuckingtastic. >:[
Hurry up and nerf this shit From!

BackdoorBeauty said:
Letters!! Recognize you from the Reach OTs.

Anyway, this exact thing happened to me. I have not found a way
to relight Firelink
. I killed
Queelag's sister
for a soul, and it didn't work.
I wouldn't recommend killing off fire keepers unless you're just finishing things up before new game +. :p

Oh yeah after 133h46m10s, Symbol of Avarice GET!
Now I have 1 of each item in the game, had to go into NG+++++.

I can finally put it to rest and concentrate on other games ^^;

klee123

Currently trying to make a weapon to replace my drake sword. I'm thinking of upgrading my long sword to fire or lightning. Are those good choices?

I'm also using the black knight's sword and shield as well. Atm it does much better damage than the drake's sword easily, however it's a bit slow.

JVIDICAN said:
strong magic shield, ring of fog, and a lighting shotel +5. fanfuckingtastic. >:[
Hurry up and nerf this shit From!

I wouldn't recommend killing off fire keepers unless you're just finishing things up before new game +. :p

I was desperately trying to
relight Firelink. I had already joined the Chaos covenant to get the chaos fire orb, which is incredible. There are TWO close bonfires to Chaos Domain, so it is really just a short hike to get to a warp-able location.

Anyway, I am near the end of the game I presume. Only Lost Izalith and New Londo Ruins
has been drained

Ken

InternHertz said:

Wow. I guess I got lucky and got it on my third Mimic in my first playthrough.

yeb

Ok, this was pretty awesome.

I've been PVPing in Kiln quite a bit today, and I kept running into the level 1 female Pyromancer that was linked to earlier in the thread, Some House Cat. The fights were never very fair in the first place, and then he started fighting in no armor, just using the Pyro's starting axe and fighting pure melee. After taking off 80% of his HP with a weak attack, I decided to remove my weapon. Then he removed his weapon. Then I removed my armor.

We ended up doing a naked fist fight to the death, dealing 2 HP per hit.

yeb said:

I've been PVPing in Kiln quite a bit today, and I kept running into the level 1 female Pyromancer that was linked to earlier in the thread, Some House Cat. The fights were never very fair in the first place, and then he started fighting in no armor, just using the Pyro's starting axe and fighting pure melee. After taking off 80% of his HP with a weak attack, I decided to remove my weapon. Then he removed his weapon. Then I removed my armor.

This is the funniest thing I've read in this thread.

Ken

yeb said:

So did you win?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Dark Souls Bibliography NPC Phantom Bonus Round

I took a bit of a break from important characters to compile what little information is available about the NPC phantom invaders and helpers in the game. After putting it all together I combined it with some stuff I speculated about earlier about possible things that they were references/homages to, because actual proper sections about them are depressingly short.

Since all of these characters are completely ancillary to the plot there aren't any real spoilers here, but I've still enclosed all actual information directly from the game in spoiler tags mainly to preserve the formatting because it's going to be included when I next update the real list. I've left all the information about what they're probably references to out of spoiler tags because it's all a combination of supposition, wild guesses, and rampant speculation on my part, and because I kept maiming the markup in Jeremiah's section because of the quote tags and that's just embarrassing.

Let's talk unimportant characters:

Paladin Leeroy
- Was the first member of the Way of White to turn Undead. [Paladin's Armor item description]
- After turning undead he was given the legendary weapon and shield Grant and Sanctus, and sent on a mission to Lordran. He was the first undead member of the Way of White to be sent on a mission. [Paladin's Armor, Grant item descriptions]
- Stylistically, he seems to be an homage to Garl Vinland from Demon's Souls. Both wield massive iron clubs -- Bramd in Garl Vinland's case, Grant in Leeroy's -- and wear medium-heavy armor comprised of a combination of ornate plates and cloth. I don't think Garl Vinland is ever flat-out referred to as a paladin, but he is a knight in service to Astraea, who is referred to as a saint, so it's not much of a stretch to consider him one.
- I think that Grant has a higher total stat requirement to wield than any other weapon in the game. It requires 50 Strength and 30 Faith - a total of 80 stat points.
- His name is probably a reference to Leeroy Jenkins, the extremely enthusiastic World of Warcraft paladin who attained a degree of internet notoriety some time back because of his excessive ebullience.

Witch Beatrice
- Unlike almost all users of sorcery in Dark Souls she did not study at the Vinheim Dragon School. [Witch Cloak item description]
- At some point she entered the Abyss but did not survive. [Witch Cloak item description]
- Her catalyst has signs of being used for age-old sorceries, and has been passed down through many generations. [Beatrice's Catalyst item description]
- Might be an homage to Yuria from Demon's Souls, though stylistically the Gold-Hemmed Robes are a closer analogue to what Yuria wore. Both of them are witches, however, and wear the classically-styled circular pointed witch's hat.
- Her name is probably a reference to the witch Beatrice, from the game/anime series Umineko no Naku Koro ni. I don't know much about it beyond what I've read in summaries, but the reference was pointed out to me by cj_iwakura earlier in the thread and it seems to be a plausible assumption.

Xanthous King Jeremiah
- He is known as the legendary exile, and no one knows where his equipment came from. [Xanthous Crown item description]
- Stylistically he is obviously a reference to the boss of 3-3 in Demon's Souls. In that boss fight a player is selected to be the boss and is given a ludicrous and massively oversized yellow piece of headgear to wear. If victorious, the player serving as the boss has a chance to keep his oversized novelty head wrappings permanently.
- He is probably a reference to the classic horror story anthology The King in Yellow. Other than the obvious fact that he is literally a king in yellow, the description of his armor is "It may be tattered, but its bright yellow color still stings the eyes." In The King in Yellow the eponymous king is repeatedly referred to as wearing tattered bright yellow clothing. See, for instance, this quotation from the opening of the first part:
Robert W. Chambers said:
Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in
Dim Carcosa.

Or this passage from the second part, which wants you to know that he's a bit rattily-dressed so much that it mentions it twice within a single paragraph:

Robert W. Chambers said:
These thoughts passed through my troubled mind
as I lay sick, but they were hopelessly entangled with visions of white
creatures, heavy as stone, crawling about in Boris' basin,--of the wolf's
head on the rug, foaming and snapping at Geneviève, who lay smiling
beside it. I thought, too, of the King in Yellow wrapped in the fantastic
colours of his tattered mantle, and that bitter cry of Cassilda, "Not
upon us, oh King, not upon us!" Feverishly I struggled to put it from me,
but I saw the lake of Hali, thin and blank, without a ripple or wind to
stir it, and I saw the towers of Carcosa behind the moon. Aldebaran, the
Hyades, Alar, Hastur, glided through the cloud-rifts which fluttered and
flapped as they passed like the scolloped tatters of the King in Yellow.

The King in Yellow was originally published in 1895 and is in the public domain, so you can easily read it right now without even needing to get up from your chair if you're so inclined.

Black Iron Tarkus
- He was known for his great strength. [Black Iron Armor item description]
- He journeyed to Anor Londo by way of Sen's Fortress, but ultimately failed in his objective. [Conversation with Sen's Fortress merchant]
- Stylistically he is likely an homage to Biorr from Demon's Souls. Both characters wear extremely heavy armor with a matching tower shield and wield Greatswords. Also possibly worth noting is that Biorr, unlike every other NPC in Demon's Souls, actually helps you fight one of the bosses.
- His name is possibly a reference to the 20-odd minute long rock ballad Tarkus by 70s-era English band Emerson, Lake, & Palmer. It's a 7-part song about a primordial cyborg named Tarkus who is born from a volcano, gets eaten by a manticore, and then gets turned into a fish or something. On the album cover Tarkus is portrayed as a creature who is half tank and half armadillo. I only mention it as a possibility because the song has some sort of inscrutable underground popularity in Japan, enough so that in 2004 a Japanese pianist released a classical rendition of the song. I'm as confused as you are.

Maneater Mildred
- There does not appear to be a single direct reference to her in any item descriptions.
- She is probably an homage to the NPC black phantom in the second stage of the Valley of Defilement in Demon's Souls. Like Mildred, this NPC wanders around a swamp wielding a gigantic meat cleaver. Unlike Mildred, she is entirely capable of killing you. Repeatedly. Note that the Demon's Souls phantom wears rags but no headwear, whereas Mildred wears a bag on her head and nothing else.

Kirk, Knight of Thorns
- He is an infamous member of the Darkwraiths. [Barbed Straight Sword item description]
- He is called the Knight of Thorns because of the gnarly spikes on his favorite weapon. [Barbed Straight Sword item description]
- Could maybe possibly be an homage to Yurt from Demon's Souls, on the grounds that both wear spiky plate mail (though only Yurt's helmet is spiky), are pretty keen on killing people, and are members of an organization that happily enables them to do so regularly. Their choice of weaponry is totally different, however.

Zzoram

InternHertz said:

How do you get that? What is the benefit of getting it?

Ken

Zzoram said:
How do you get that? What is the benefit of getting it?

Increases your item discovery and soul gain significantly, I think, but it also comes with a life drain.

You get it from killing (certain?) mimics. Random drop. Got mine from one of the mimics in Anor Londo.

x3r0123 said:
its not about timing, its about the chances when you do it
alot of the giant weapons have a default of 2 hits when you parry.
In terms of damage, i believe it does some additional damage but not alot.
The only weapon that I have only tried and got the 3 hits is a shotel so I dont know about the rest as my disc is cracked. Hence, the reason why i said i was at friend's house was because of that.
things like these only come once in a while but when it does, it sure looks nice

How do you parry a big fucking dinosaur that is stomping on your head like a cockroach?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zzoram said:
One thing I miss from Demon's Souls was the PvP boss fight.

That was so cool.
Is that honestly the only thing you miss from Demon's Souls... :)?
Thagomizer said:
What did it do if you were playing offline?
You got to fight the worst AI controlled boss battle in the game.

yeb

Ken said:
So did you win?
I survived, but I got back stabbed about 20 times, so I'm pretty sure I lost on style points.

Then I got invaded again while I was sending a message afterwards, and had to fight someone else naked. That didn't work out so well.

Zzoram

Yoshichan said:
Is that honestly the only thing you miss from Demon's Souls... :)?

You got to fight the worst AI controlled boss battle in the game.

Well, I miss the better weapon scaling and the extra weapon upgrade types (poison, bonus critical, bleeding) and more active online, and world tendency holiday events, but I think that's it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zzoram said:
Well, I miss the better weapon scaling and the extra weapon upgrade types (poison, bonus critical, bleeding) and more active online, and world tendency holiday events, but I think that's it.
That's a lot in my honest opinion :p

Yo Gotti said:
Just had about an hour of amazing PVP action in Anor Londo. If anyone wants some good PVP, kill
Gwynevere
to get the
Dark Anor Londo
and go Human. I was invaded pretty much nonstop after doing that, and it brings back the ability to summon people to fight with you. I imagine this place will always be packed full of PVP players for a long time with it being a core part of the Blades of the Darkmoon.

Speaking of, I love the rivalry between the Darkwraiths(Red Phantoms) and the Blades of the Darkmoon(Blue Phantoms), it turns out that during an invasion, they're hostile towards each other. At one point me and a Darkmoon player were fighting it out, when a Darkwraith invaded and starting fighting the Darkmoon player instead of me XD. Me and my summon just sat back and watched as he killed him, then took him out together. Another time 2 phantoms got summoned at once, but they didn't show up for a while. Me and my buddy go to investigate and a red and blue phantom run around opposite sides of the giant elevator in the middle of Anor Londo for a surprise attack. They were cooperating to take us out, pretty awesome.

This game really has it's moments when it's not just 1 on 1, having teams makes everything so much more interestin. At the end of it all we must've gone about 30 matches in a row, I ended up with over 900,000 souls and 4 extra humanity.

I was getting summoned frequently in the Hunter covenant, but I left and joined the Darkmoons, for a changeup. I have not been able to invade a single player, nor have I been summoned. Invasion failed.. am I not high enough level wise? SL80 right now. I must have rubbed out the blue eye orb over 50 times by now.

And since Sif is dead, I don't get invaded in the forest.
My only choice for PvP seems to be to re-join the Hunters, which Alivna continues to option to me. I did not sin by leaving.

kurohana

ixix said:
- Her name is probably a reference to the witch Beatrice, from the game/anime series Umineko no Naku Koro ni. I don't know much about it beyond what I've read in summaries, but the reference was pointed out to me by cj_iwakura earlier in the thread and it seems to be a plausible assumption.
I believe it's definitely a reference to Umineko's Beatrice. Not really big spoilers for Umineko, but I'll just spoiler them anyways.

Her summon sign is gold if I recall correctly, which is a common theme in Umineko, especially for Beatrice.
It's said she's lived for a very long time in Umineko, which matches the catalyst.
I suppose you could say she can travel to an abyss of sorts in Umineko as well, which matches as well.

So yeah, I caught it pretty early and thought it was a clear reference.

Defuser

Nice work ixix,btw there are at least 4 daughters of Izalith.

Quelaag,Chaos Covenant,Quelanna and that hollow witch near Bed of Chaos.

Ken

yeb said:
I survived, but I got back stabbed about 20 times, so I'm pretty sure I lost on style points.

Then I got invaded again while I was sending a message afterwards, and had to fight someone else naked. That didn't work out so well.
He backstabbed you with his fists? No wonder he's #1.

Zzoram

Yoshichan said:
That's a lot in my honest opinion :p

Eh. I still think Dark Souls is better overall.

I hope they add back some things from Demon's Souls and fix other things like unfinished covenants, broken weapon scaling and online, and add some new things for Dark Souls 2.

Defuser said:
Nice work ixix,btw there are at least 4 daughters of Izalith.

Quelaag,Chaos Covenant,Quelanna and that hollow witch near Bed of Chaos.

i always assumed the woman in rags near BoC was
the witch herself.

Clott

Playing a faith character, About to go to anor londo, Whats a good sword to upgrade?

I haven't upgraded a thing, the freaking dragon's tail has been carrying me through the game.

InternHertz said:

What mimic dropped this for you? I gave up after NG+.

Augemitbutter said:
the witch herself.

Just because she's clad like Quelana doesn't make her anything... she could just be a "daughter of chaos".

--

ixix, love your posts, but I'd say Lautrec is the homage to Yurt.

JVIDICAN

Augemitbutter said:
the witch herself.
The Chaos Fire whip description mentions it as being wielded by the eldest daughter of chaos. I'm guessing that hollow would be her since she uses it.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
haha made it to that part in Anor Londo. you know the one. died on my first and only try and went to bed. pretty sure it won't be that bad as long as i approach straight on with my tower shield+5 up so i don't get bounced off the wall to my death. my endurance/strength is such that a direct hit from the front only moved me back like an inch.

Ken

corrosivefrost said:

Just because she's clad like Quelana doesn't make her anything... she could just be a "daughter of chaos".

--

ixix, love your posts, but I'd say Lautrec is the homage to Yurt.
Not sure if it's true but
the wiki says she was the only daughter who escaped from the fire that changed her sisters into Demon's so it could be her? Someone could try killing the unknown Pyromancer in front of BoC, and head back and check if Quelana is still in Blighttown without killing BoC.

JVIDICAN

Ken said:
Not sure if it's true but
the wiki says she was the only daughter who escaped from the fire that changed her sisters into Demon's so it could be her? Someone could try killing the unknown Pyromancer in front of BoC, and head back and check if Quelana is still in Blighttown without killing BoC.
it's not Quelana.

Booshka

Re-rollled a Pyromancer with a friend who went with a Bandit, we have been staying at the same level and organizing co-op sessions. So far we have beat Gargoyles and Capra together in both our games. I just went through the entire Depths with him and we beat the Gaping Dragon down there, now I need to summon him for my game. Really fun, and we are in Private Chat the whole time, really great experience.

Glad I re-rolled a new character, it's awesome trying out the low level stuff more, and experimenting with all the things I learned on my first character. I even got a couple Level 15 invasions in the Church, both were wins, was kind of fun PvP'ing at low level. Hopefully we can take out every boss and clear a lot of areas together, should be fun.

psykomyko

Got through Tomb of the Giants tonight, wasn't as horrible as everyone was saying it is, I actually enjoyed it.
Gravelord Nito is a really cool looking boss

At Demon Ruins now and I have downed
Ceaseless Discharge and FireSage
so far.
I was shocked at how
all the normal enemies are Taurus Demons and Capra Demons, was expecting it to be really hard, but its not bad at all (Having a great weapon helps) :)

Leunam

ixix said:
- Could maybe possibly be an homage to Yurt from Demon's Souls, on the grounds that both wear spiky plate mail (though only Yurt's helmet is spiky), are pretty keen on killing people, and are members of an organization that happily enables them to do so regularly. Their choice of weaponry is totally different, however.

I feel Lautrec is far closer to Yurt than Kirk is. Hell when I heard Lautrec speak to the first time my first thought was "Hello again, Yurt."

corrosivefrost said:
The first one in
Sen's Fortress
There's actually a way too farm that headpiece, I learned of the way a few hours ago, and after ~396 tries it finally dropped

How to farm :
Punch the mimic
Throw a Lloyd's Talisman at mimic, it returns to sleep.
Check if headpiece dropped. If not, you repeat the process

I burned through 4 stacks of Talismans and it dropped on the very last one of the 4th stack

Dresden

InternHertz said:
The first one in
Sen's Fortress
There's actually a way too farm that headpiece, I learned of the way a few hours ago, and after ~396 tries it finally dropped

How to farm :
Punch the mimic

I burned through 4 stacks of Talismans and it dropped on the very last one of the 4th stack
...goddamn it.

InternHertz said:
The first one in
Sen's Fortress

How to farm :
Punch the mimic

Interesting! Thanks... not sure if I'll ever bother, but all mimics are in tact in my current NG++.

Can you stab it? Or do you recommend empty hand punch? If it doesn't move much, is it easy to check for a drop without accidentally opening the chest and getting eaten? Lloyd's talismans are bought in Undead Burg at male merchant? Assuming 30 humanity and gold serpent ring?

zsswimmer said:
His invading partner was wearing that ring that makes you slightly invisible, didn't see it until it was too late. He tried summoning me again but I just ran off the bridge lol

of course he was. the fog ring is SO cheap. what you need to wax him is having homing crystal soul mass. as soon as he comes through the door he will be dead, it actually targets them even if you dont lock on.

I had someone try and cheap me, came through the door in Dukes Archive, Homing Crystal Soul Mass, 99 INT, Logans Catalyst and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring owned him in one hit.

Speevy

Banned
This is no fault of the game, but I'm having trouble getting into a new game +.

I've just never been able to enjoy multiple playthroughs except with one or two games.

corrosivefrost said:
Interesting! Thanks... not sure if I'll ever bother, but all mimics are in tact in my current NG++.

Can you stab it? Or do you recommend empty hand punch? If it doesn't move much, is it easy to check for a drop without accidentally opening the chest and getting eaten? Lloyd's talismans are bought in Undead Burg at male merchant? Assuming 30 humanity and gold serpent ring?
You should empty hand punch, you want to farm so the less damage you do the better.
You can check the drop normally once it's asleep, you won't get eaten.
Yeah, bought there.
I actually was human and had more than 30 humanity (I know it shouldn't change anything but I figured I'd do anything to get it to drop)

maomaoIYP

I had the impression that every boss in Demon's Ruins down to Lost Izalith was one of the daughters of the Witch of Izalith. Count them in the opening cinematic, there's a total of 7.
That's why ceaseless discharge attacks you only after you loot the gear. I felt that it was staring at the body because that was what it was before it turned into a demon.

If that's the case then all 7 daughters are accounted for: Quelaag, Quelaana, Chaos Covenant spider, Pyromancer outside BoC, Ceaseless Discharge, Centipede Demon and the other demon whose name escapes me.

Oh and in my playthrough, Quelaana never left. I fought all of them without using the shortcut, Quelaana thanked me, gave me Fire Tempest, and stayed on. I came back a few times just passing by and she was still there.

tokkun

Phat Michael said:
of course he was. the fog ring is SO cheap. what you need to wax him is having homing crystal soul mass. as soon as he comes through the door he will be dead, it actually targets them even if you dont lock on.

I had someone try and cheap me, came through the door in Dukes Archive, Homing Crystal Soul Mass, 99 INT, Logans Catalyst and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring owned him in one hit.

Personally I find Homing Crystal Soul Mass to be much more cheap than the Fog Ring.

Speevy said:
This is no fault of the game, but I'm having trouble getting into a new game +.

I've just never been able to enjoy multiple playthroughs except with one or two games.
i think its because you will be dreading doing the bits you hated the first time again. i.e. Crystal Cave, Depths, Blighttown etc..

Im considering an NG+ because im finally happy with my weapon and equipment set now....and i dont need to grind so ill just want to see how quickly i can finish the game without uneccessary grinding.

tokkun said:
Personally I find Homing Crystal Soul Mass to be much more cheap than the Fog Ring.

How? its so easy to dodge if you know what you are doing. with the fog ring you cant see shit, you cant lock on therefore its hard to use a shield and back away...all of a sudden - backstab. If you have a decent shield you block the spell easily. The difference is, the fog ring was designed for cheapness...the spell is actually useful in one player as well.

maomaoIYP

tokkun said:

How so? It's not too hard to dodge it, lights you up like a christmas tree, and requires relatively high INT to use it at full power.

Everyone can use the fog ring. Also, there's no answer for magic users vs fog ring users except for both homing spells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom