• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
sixghost said:
Maybe this is simplistic way of viewing it, but I sort of default to thinking Kaathe is telling the truth just because there is an absence of evidence that he's lying or trying to trick you.

The other side in the situation gets exposed pretty harshly as being deceptive at the very least.

Kaathe certainly surrounds himself with some shit, but he does mention how the darkwraiths are considered failures. Most of what he does and says seems to be focused on assisting the humans/undead so that eventually they will end the Age of Fire.

That just seems like the more likely fit for the good ending, as isn't it mentioned that the Dark Soul is unique in that it gets more powerful as the first flame gets weaker? And that's why Gwyn tried is so afraid of humans/undead? The whole establishment of Anor Londo and the Lord Souls just seems completely at odds with the rise of humanity, which seems like more than enough to make them the evil side.

I think the context of what Kaathe says is not that the others are failures as Darkwraiths so much as they are failures as the Dark Lord.

Kaathe's assertion that Gwyn's sacrifice goes against nature implies he has a pretty survival of the fittest mentality, which the Darkwraiths certainly embody. I don't think Kaathe is disappointed that the Darkwraiths are evil. I think he is disappointed that the Darkwraiths are not evil enough.

And, furthermore, I think it's really important to point out that even Kaathe himself calls Gwyn's linking of the First Flame a sacrifice. He completely acknowledges that what Gwyn did was selfless. This obviously pisses him off, and I think that's an important insight into his character.

Thagomizer said:
4. She's implied to be relatively young, possibly coming into existence while the First Flame was still burning and Gwyn was in power, as she's imprisoned in a massive, specially-made painting in the Royal Castle.

5. That she's alive at all implies that she's related to a member of Gwyn's court, as if she wasn't, Gwyn would have just had her killed outright for being part dragon- especially because of the Lifehunt. Seath, being Seath, managed to convince Gwyn to keep her alive but in exile, either out of genuine caring (not likely, as he's a bastard who doesn't care about anyone but himself) or so he can run more experiments on her when he thinks of something. The environment of the painting also suits her and complements her abilities perfectly; if Gwyn wanted to be a dick, he could have made her prison painting a river of lava, but he gives her something that she seems to be perfectly OK with.

Without commenting on the Priscilla issue on the whole, these two points are contradictory. If Gwyn even knows she exists then she is at least a thousand years old, and Seath would have made her long before he went mad.

When Gwyn left Anor Londo it's safe to assume that Seath was still sane and wasn't kidnapping women and turning them into octopus-headed monstrosities, or else Gwyn wouldn't have left half his Lord Soul with him. Both Quelana and Frampt say it's been a thousand years since Gwyn left, and so it's safe to assume that Seath went mad sometime afterwards.

If she is a product of Seath's experiments there's basically no chance whatsoever that she ever met Gwyn. She probably came along after Gwyndolin was in charge of Anor Londo and Seath went mad/hollow.

Thagomizer said:
Basically, I feel that Gwyn and Gwyndolin specifically are the problem here, not the Age of Fire. They are power hungry tools, sure, but the Darksign is also not their fault and caused more ruin to the country than the waning of the First Flame ever did- it's hard to run a country when most of it is going stark bonkers.

Setting Gwyndolin aside for a moment, what bad things did Gwyn ever do? He clearly knew kindling the flame was going to kill him and he did it anyway. There's also zero evidence within the game that he was considered to be anything other than a completely stand-up guy. Even Kaathe, who pretty obviously hates his guts, can't muster any criticism for him more harsh than saying that he sacrificed himself to defy nature.

I do also think Gwyndolin's villainy is massively overstated most of the time, but I haven't got it in me to put forth a comprehensive reasoning for that at the moment.

Maleficence said:
Finished it last night, WTF at that ending?!

Now you can join the real party. The massive blocks of spoiler tags party. It's where all the cool kids hang out.

Grinchy

Banned
abstract alien said:
Thanks for the heads up. Ill leave him alone for now lol

He's honestly not that hard to fight legitimately. Just run all the way to him in the big open plateau area. Try not to block, but dodge his hits and you have plenty of time to wail on his arm while it rests on the plateau. But you also definitely have time to suicide run past him for the armor if you wish, too.

Zzoram

Haunted said:
Not a guaranteed drop. I think one GAFer said earlier in the thread that he had to play through NG++++ or something ludicrous like that to finally have it drop and get his trophy.

ugh you need the barbed sword to get the rare weapon trophy? It wasn't on any list I saw

Eusis

Teknoman said:
Are they going to be able to do events like in Demon's Souls at all?
No, but events were largely for World Tendency that was pretty much impossible to properly control sort of staying offline since other players influenced it too.

Zzoram

Couldn't From theoretically trigger some kind of Gravelord event?

PS, I think I found 1 vagrant my entire 110Hour NG play through. It was sitting in the Kiln of the First Flame on one of those thin beams. It shot some projectile at me and couldn't move. It died pretty easily, and I never saw it again. I didn't see it my first time farming that place, it was there sometime around my 4th? time there, and never since, which is the clue that it was a Vagrant.

Vagrants are supposed to be black phantom monsters that invade your game, spawned from another player dropping random weapons on the ground and waiting around in their game. I assume that most players never wait around long enough for their weapon to turn into a Vagrant invader, which is why it's so rarely seen.

Grinchy said:
He's honestly not that hard to fight legitimately. Just run all the way to him in the big open plateau area. Try not to block, but dodge his hits and you have plenty of time to wail on his arm while it rests on the plateau. But you also definitely have time to suicide run past him for the armor if you wish, too.
I actually grabbed the armor first before I ever encountered him. Right when when I grabbed it, he started coming after me.

Zzoram

GodlyPerfection said:
Wow it is amazingly easy to invade when everyone is above your level. lol... even in the middle of the night I'm still getting victims in Blighttown.

low level PvP is the best

I think with invasion, anyone above your level is fair game, so low levels should have the best activity

Carcetti

I don't know about 'best' activity. Last night I invaded a level 300 with my level 50. It was like chipping a block of stone wrapped in Havel's Armor and Shield with three sorts of magic and a fog ring.

Zzoram

Carcetti said:
I don't know about 'best' activity. Last night I invaded a level 300 with my level 50. It was like chipping a block of stone wrapped in Havel's Armor and Shield with three sorts of magic and a fog ring.

Consider it a boss fight.

TP

Zzoram said:
Vagrants are supposed to be black phantom monsters that invade your game, spawned from another player dropping random weapons on the ground and waiting around in their game. I assume that most players never wait around long enough for their weapon to turn into a Vagrant invader, which is why it's so rarely seen.

Do you really have to wait around for the item to go vagrant? I've just been dropping them in the areas listed in the guide and moving on.

Carcetti said:

Well yeah that's why I'm invading at Blighttown and Undead Burg at level 1 with fully upgraded gear... lol. It is oh so evil. I've beaten everyone tonight so far... other than one guy who got to Quelagg.

maomaoIYP

I think everyone I was punishing last night were lower than me. The most souls I got for the kill was 3K, everyone else was in the range of 1K.

Zzoram

Jeo said:
Do you really have to wait around for the item to go vagrant? I've just been dropping them in the areas listed in the guide and moving on.

I don't know, I just suspect that we are supposed to wait because Vagrants are so rare, so people must be doing it wrong.

maomaoIYP said:
I think everyone I was punishing last night were lower than me. The most souls I got for the kill was 3K, everyone else was in the range of 1K.

I believe the restrictions are above your level or within 10%/10 levels below your level. As for the souls you get I'm pretty sure it is what they are carrying because I've gotten 117K before.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not really paid attention to my shields except for basic physical/fire/lightning defence. Whats this poise/stablity being talked about? I'm a DEX based character with limited strength (under 20) so massive shields aren't an option, and I've only upgraded one (spider shield) so I can get the crystal shield.

poise=stat you get from armour. the higher it is the bigger hits you can take without having your attacks interrupted

stability=shield stat. higher it is the less stamina you lose from blocking attacks.

maomaoIYP

GodlyPerfection said:
I believe the restrictions are above your level or within 10%/10 levels below your level. As for the souls you get I'm pretty sure it is what they are carrying because I've gotten 117K before.

There's a lvl 1 dude who routinely invades and rapes people who are much much higher level than him, he's somewhere at the top of the sinner's leaderboards. Some GAFers mentioned bumping into him earlier in the thread.

Dresden

Stayed in the forest for like an hour tonight on my sorc - it was nonstop action as I kept getting invaded, usually two at a time.

I got really good at running away while slipping a ring of fog on depending on what the enemy worse. >.> Also had 3 Strong Magic Shields, which I would pop on whenever... they did. I ran out in fifteen minutes.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm getting too close to the end... I don't want to beat this game at all. It has been so good. Even the shitty areas like crystal cave are pretty good. I haven't been to Lost Izalith yet but I've pretty much liked every area for one reason or another.

linko9

Grinchy said:
I'm getting too close to the end... I don't want to beat this game at all. It has been so good. Even the shitty areas like crystal cave are pretty good. I haven't been to Lost Izalith yet but I've pretty much liked every area for one reason or another.

NG+ is really fun, it's not like by beating NG you're "done".

glaurung

Since my strategy guide still has not arrived yet (the shop lists the item as being printed again due to demand - the original bulk must have been pretty low), I need to ask another question here.

How does magic work and how does it scale?

To clarify: I am now playing a sorcerer, ran through everything up to the metal boar, killed it and then decided to go to sleep. Have not died once until now, Soul Arrow is awesome. But I don't quite get how it works. Some enemy armor seems to block it, others less so.
  1. How does the catalyst affect my magic?
  2. When do I get more spells? That is, when or where do I meet some more trainers?
  3. How does the Attunement stat work?
  4. Are there any spells that I should focus on getting before others?
  5. What's the deal between sorcery and pyromancy?

Dresden

glaurung said:
Since my strategy guide still has not arrived yet (the shop lists the item as being printed again due to demand - the original bulk must have been pretty low), I need to ask another question here.

How does magic work and how does it scale?

To clarify: I am now playing a sorcerer, ran through everything up to the metal boar, killed it and then decided to go to sleep. Have not died once until now, Soul Arrow is awesome. But I don't quite get how it works. Some enemy armor seems to block it, others less so.
  1. How does the catalyst affect my magic?
  2. When do I get more spells? That is, when or where do I meet some more trainers?
  3. How does the Attunement stat work?
  4. Are there any spells that I should focus on getting before others?
  5. What's the deal between sorcery and pyromancy?
1. It scales off your Int stat to determine how much magic damage you will do.

2. Beginning of New Londo Ruins (cliff staircase) has a blacksmith that sells soul arrows.

3. More attunement means more slots for you to slot in spells and use.

4. As a sorceror you'll just focus on your soul arrows and their variants for now.

5. Pyromancy doesn't scale off any stat save for Dexterity for cast speed boost and Attunement for slots. Sorcery requires Intelligence to boost its damage.

maomaoIYP said:
There's a lvl 1 dude who routinely invades and rapes people who are much much higher level than him, he's somewhere at the top of the sinner's leaderboards. Some GAFers mentioned bumping into him earlier in the thread.

That's the guy that inspired me to make my lvl 1 trolling character. lol... he is a genius. Getting through the game as a lvl 1 was definitely fun. Much harder than NG++ fully geared.

soldat7

Zzoram said:

I've never heard of this before. Anyone can just drop weapons on the ground and wait?

orion434

glaurung said:
Ever since I started the new sorcerer character, I notice these Dragon Remnant symbols on the floor.

What be those?

Those little circles are where other players cast Miracles, supposedly if you cast a miracle in the vacinity it will be amplified.

edit: woops!

glaurung said:
Ever since I started the new sorcerer character, I notice these Dragon Remnant symbols on the floor.

What be those?

It's a Dragon covenant thing. People put them down to initiate duels, the winner of which gets a dragon scale which lets them level up in the covenant.

Chakan

Zeliard said:
Has anyone seen a Vagrant in their game?

I did once. At least I think it was.

I was going to the Bsmith near Undead Parish from the church elevator and then I saw this weird looking enemy, with the same red color tone that a player gets when they invade.

Beat it very easily for some souls.

glaurung

Air Zombie Meat said:
It's a Dragon covenant thing. People put them down to initiate duels, the winner of which gets a dragon scale which lets them level up in the covenant.
So when I am seeing those in the Undead Burg, it means that somebody is just trying to gank me and boost their level - since my slvl 13 guy is no match?

I'm about 5 hours in with my Pyromancer run, just finished up Capra Demon and the Depths last night. It's so weird going from a melee only character to a magic class, but at least Pyro is kind of in between. I just upgraded my glove to +4 and bought a few more spells. The damage I'm doing seems insanely high for where I am in the game...

Also, even after beating Dark Souls once it refuses to let me properly play other games. I've got about 1.5 hours on Batman: Arkham City right now...

orion434

Now just 2 weapons separates me and 100% Well I just need to make a Magic + 10, Occult +5 & Chaos +5 weapon, which should be easy once I get to the final boss, Blue slab is in the Crystal Caves, the White Slab is in the room with the baby skeletons & the Red Slab is at the shortcut to Lost Izalith.

Then in NG++ I have to beat Sif then make a bee-line to The Giant Blacksmith to make the last 2 weapons with boss souls! I can taste it!

glaurung said:
So when I am seeing those in the Undead Burg, it means that somebody is just trying to gank me and boost their level - since my slvl 13 guy is no match?

Or just trying to get a duel going. ;) The person placing it doesn't have any control over who's world it ends up in. Is unusual to be seeing them at such a low level though.

Moofers

Anyone got tips for beating Bed of Chaos?

I destroyed the two areas under the magic bubbles on each side, but now the floor is mostly gone so there's no way to get close to him unless I get directly in reach of his arms which have knockdown strength. Arrows didn't seem to damage him? I've got no idea what to do.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I am dying here, and ready to quit.

I'm level 28, cursed, accidentally killed the Pyromancer in the depths, and feeling aimless. Someone pick me up and help me continue!

Moofers said:

I destroyed the two areas under the magic bubbles on each side, but now the floor is mostly gone so there's no way to get close to him unless I get directly in reach of his arms which have knockdown strength. Arrows didn't seem to damage him? I've got no idea what to do.
You don't actually need to hit him. Run straight towards the middle of the room while blocking his attacks and look for a huge hole in the floor. In that hole is a branch you can drop to that lets you run straight towards him and under him. Keep going back and it will all make sense.

shantyman said:
I am dying here, and ready to quit.

I'm level 28, cursed, accidentally killed the Pyromancer in the depths, and feeling aimless. Someone pick me up and help me continue!
What class are you? I also killed the Pyromancer my first time through and it wasn't really a big deal. As far as the curse goes just spend some time farming souls from the frogs and then go to the merchant at the top of the church in Undead Parish (where you beat the Gargoyles). He sells a cure for 3000 souls.

You got this!

orion434

Moofers said:

There is a Root you need to jump onto in the pit that opens... then run to the back.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Has this been posted?

Patch Update for 1.04, coming out tomorrow :D.

http://darksouls.fromsoftware.jp/online/

Very rough translation:

Ver1.04 updates
, November 02 (Wednesday) will be distributed from 12:00

The main contents are as follows: the corresponding correction.

The main items to be improved [fix]
some magic · review of the effect of
  "magic shield", "magic shield" strong
  "history of a moderate peace" Slow effects, such as
  "Ring of the Mist,"
  "Iron Body "
to attribute weapon · weapons capability review of the balance of
magic adjustment / armor / weapon - other
  "magic fire" magic power correction and tuning
· matching conditions adjusted Multiplayer
• In multiplayer when you kill a boss Adjust the amount of available host in Seoul (available in full)
- "Orb cracked red eye" when it fails to break in using a number of high rate corrected to use
when adjusting the amount of the defeated enemy acquisition Seoul
Adjusting items when you kill an enemy drop
  some boss "humanity" and "bone fragment return" drop the
  item drop rate adjustments and commitments reinforced materials, especially low drop rate
item by finding may force · Person increase effective coordination
coordination • The shop lineup
Merchants of Immortality (M)
"Bottomless wooden box" Add
Merchants of Immortality (Female)
"Arrow" normal, "or" big, "and the tree", "Normal Bolt," "Heavy Bolt", "Wood Bolt" Add
Andrei blacksmith
"Arrow" normal, "or" big, "and the tree", "Normal Bolt," "Heavy Bolt", "Wood Bolt" Add
The Xena Donaru
If the ritual after moving to the next day, and "universal key" Add
Giant blacksmith
"Arrow" normal, "or" big "feather and", "Normal Bolt," "Heavy Bolt," "Sniper Bolt"
"Fragments of a stone wedge," "fragments of the rock wedge," "fragments of the green wedge", "shining stone wedge",
Box "fire weapons", "fire armor box," box "repair" Add
Vamos blacksmith
"Arrow" normal, "or" big, "and the tree", "Normal Bolt," "Heavy Bolt", "Wood Bolt"
"Fragments of a stone wedge," "Box arms fire," "fire armor box," box "repair" Add
Inguuado Healer
"Curse of the temporary" add
Pledge - "Warriors of the Sun" downward adjustment constraints (× 5 ≧ 25 + multiplayer number of successful faith × 5 ≧ 50 ⇒ number of successes + Multiplayer faith)
required downward adjustment of acquittal in Seoul (Level level × 500 × 2000 ⇒ )
· Adjust the weight with
Lock-on, adjust and lock switching
• Enable modification of the case hangs
on display in Seoul changed and the level up menu
behavior fix or magic items that can be used indefinitely for certain operations ·
Attacks Fixed problem that the imposition of a one-second delay
on lap, 2, "Astra Soraru" behavior modification event does not proceed
- "Exploring the king's Furamuto" By feeding the stone wedge, wedge If the number exceeds 99 possession of the stone, the number of bug fixes and zero possession
of a phenomenon at a particular location map drawn to · avoid non-progression
with a change in the overseas edition is in English produce some changes in the subtitle

From what I can make out sounds like there's some good stuff in here. Will wait for a good translation before I get too excited.

Just started the game last night and I'm falling in love all over again, just like I did with Demon's. Went with a Sorcerer.

Played for a few hours and stopped after I beat the Taurus. Can't wait to see what this game has in store.

Any tips on Sorcery builds?

Also, are there any Yurt type characters in this game that I should be warned about?

Also, I haven't used it yet, but I do hope this patch doesn't bork the infinite souls glitch. Would be fun to abuse that on a secondary character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom