• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

sixghost said:
Why is Drake Sword out of the question?
Because it needs 16 Str. I only have the stats of whatever Pyro starts with. I was planning to use the soul exploit to upgrade the Pyro flame to max but I need to beat Quelagg first.

STR/DEX/INT/FTH is 12/9/10/8

dreamer3kx said:
You guys who continue building your character, is that for pvp play, what SL is it recommended from Blighttown on, Im around SL 35.

You should be good. The problem with Blightown is more the platforming than the actual enemies. Also, stock up on blooming purple moss. Seriously, you can't have too much of it. I had 30 blooming and 50 regular and I still almost ran out by the time I got to the boss.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The_Darkest_Red said:
Those guys are like a demonic version of Toad.

Ugh, same here. I saw at least 5 and ended up killing none of them...
They respawn if they run away. The biggest challenge is killing them without Ring of Fog and getting to their corpses without falling to your death..

Xanathus said:
Because it needs 16 Str. I only have the stats of whatever Pyro starts with. I was planning to use the soul exploit to upgrade the Pyro flame to max but I need to beat Quelagg first.

What about 2 handing it?

Zeliard

Thagomizer said:
You should be good. The problem with Blightown is more the platforming than the actual enemies. Also, stock up on blooming purple moss. Seriously, you can't have too much of it. I had 30 blooming and 50 regular and I still almost ran out by the time I got to the boss.

Most important thing to have in Blighttown is the Spider Shield, which can block the toxic darts. What makes it tricky the first time through is that it's so dark and the darts are so small and silent that it can be hard to see where they're coming from. But with that shield you can block the darts as you go up to those guys to take them out.

Facism

if a lizard runs away and disappears, stand where it was initially, reload your game and it'll be sitting their, right infront of you, waiting to get smashed by your throbbing weapon.

sixghost

Xanathus said:

So you'll need to 2-hand it then. It's still miles better than almost every other weapon available to you at that point.

You could definitely beat Queelag doing that. Just switch to 2hand when you need to attack, then back to 1hand when you need to block.

Don't worry, I thought of that too!

Use the speedrun trick to get it. Stand in the safe spot on the bridge, two hand your starting axe, apply some gold resin to the axe, then sprint to the tail when the dragon flies to land in the middle of the bridge. You'll probably die, but you have a good 4 attacks at the tail, it should come off in 3.

Xanathus

sixghost said:
So you'll need to 2-hand it then. It's still miles better than almost every other weapon available to you at that point.
Oh another problem with getting it is that it takes 12 DEX to use a bow to shoot the tail. Right now I'm thinking of just upgrading my starting axe to +5

Kurod

Banned
Xanathus said:
Oh another problem with getting it is that it takes 12 DEX to use a bow to shoot the tail. Right now I'm thinking of just upgrading my starting axe to +5
You could use a bow to aim then switch to a crossbow to shoot it off. Just don't touch the right stick and you're golden.

scosher

- Changes to the Magic Shield Spells.
- Changes to Ring of Fog
- Changes to TwoP
- Blacksmiths sell arrows and more shards (perhaps twinkling, but let's not get too hasty)
- Merchants sell arrows, Xeno sells the Master Key
- Changes to Weapon Scaling
- The guy who gives you the Key in New Londo Ruins sells Transient Curse
- Sunbros Faith Requirement halved to 25 at base, with -5 for each successful co-op
- Bug fixes

Fuck yes, I was pissed that my toon picked the pendant. No master's key required me to go through the Depths on every NG+.

This patch pretty much fixes every issue with the game. Stat scaling, TWoP, Ring of Fog, glitches, PvP matchmaking. Even the cost of absolution.

scosher said:
Fuck yes, I was pissed that my toon picked the pendant. No master's key required me to go through the Depths on every NG+.

This patch pretty much fixes every issue with the game. Stat scaling, TWoP, Ring of Fog, glitches, PvP matchmaking. Even the cost of absolution.

I picked the fucking Tiny Being's Ring. WHoever did that particular translation should be shot in the ass.

soldat7

Tarin02543 said:
Just cleared Sen Fortress and explored every corner. Any pointer on the boss? The moment he grabs you you are a dead man.

Roll through his legs and be sure to get him out on the bridge. Keep close to him and roll/attack.

scosher

soldat7 said:
I hate these (just like I hated them in Demon's Souls.) You can still farm everything they drop, right?

Yeah, not as bad as Demon's Souls. They respawn if you quit/load but you can only kill each spawn once per playthrough. Better than having it run into a crack in the wall and then forever missing out on much needed shards.

Septimius

So I started a new character. I've played for 1:15, and I've rung the second bell, and have a pyromancy glove at +8. I'm level 13, or thereabout. Taurus really is a joke when you plunge him, plus gold pine resin.

sleepykyo

WanderingWind said:
If I had to venture a guess, I'm betting they're nerfing Iron Flesh. I don't see another spell that's even close to OP in the pyro's arsenal. My main character is a pyro and even if fire orb is really useful, it takes a while to cast, has limited range and runs out pretty quick. Same with great combustion. Great spell, but you have to be within melee range to use it anyway.

I'm glad I got the platinum out of the way then. Iron Flesh made a lot of the fights more bearable. Did they mention anything about the way depleted stamina increases the damage you take? I really, really hate that.

Septimius

Am I the only one considering making a max level char before they patch it? The only reason I would do it is because it seems like great fun to join in in the PvP at max level, plus I would really never make it to max level on my own.

Xanathus said:

Do what I did. Two hand that thing, and add one point in DEX. Helps out massively to beat everything up to Quelaag.

Also, I can 100% confirm that Quelana most certainly doesn't need you to have +10 glove for her to appear. I reached her in one hour, had not ever modified my glove. She wasn't there the first time, but I activated the bonfire and quit the game, and she was there the next time

oracrest

Finally made it past Anor Londo last night, and
met Gwenyvyre. Big momma!

I teleported back to Firelink Shrine, and down into the Catacombs for the first time. I heard that divine weapons will kill the skeletons permanently, so I jacked my divine morning star as much as I could.

I made it as far as the skeleton blacksmith. Is dropping down that suicide hole and landing on the small ledges the only way to make it down to him?

Sarcasm

Septimius said:
Am I the only one considering making a max level char before they patch it? The only reason I would do it is because it seems like great fun to join in in the PvP at max level, plus I would really never make it to max level on my own.

How can one obtain this in a fastly matter? To do the glitch.

Septimius

oracrest said:
Finally made it past Anor Londo last night, and
met Gwenyvyre. Big momma!

I teleported back to Firelink Shrine, and down into the Catacombs for the first time. I heard that divine weapons will kill the skeletons permanently, so I jacked my divine morning star as much as I could.

I made it as far as the skeleton blacksmith. Is dropping down that suicide hole and landing on the small ledges the only way to make it down to him?

Maybe the first time, but he does open up a path that means you can drop down some other, not so suicide ledges to reach him from then on.

Sarcasm said:
How can one obtain this in a fastly matter? To do the glitch.

Which they are patching out.

Xanathus

Kurod said:
You could use a bow to aim then switch to a crossbow to shoot it off. Just don't touch the right stick and you're golden.
This tip is awesome! Gotten the Drake Sword this way, rest of the game should be a cakewalk!

FUCK! Drake Sword needs 10 Dex too!

kodt

Banned
So does anyone know what the Fog Ring nerf will actually do?

Right now it makes it so you cannot be targeted, if they remove that it is a useless item... If they don't remove it, then nothing changes.

Unless they change the range at which you can be targeted or something.

scy

Zeliard said:
These are the two parts that seem to mention them:

It seems to be more along the lines of "We're looking into fixing" rather than "It is being fixed." But that's just my own shaky translation of it so I'm not completely sure one way or the other.

Ryu bogard said:
Wow what a terrible day my ps3 started locking up every time I loaded my dark souls save file. And now my 100hrs save file has been corrupted. I have yet to even finish my first play through :(

That's really sad, my only advice would have been to get PS Plus and utilize the cloud saving system.

I lost my beautiful Demon's Souls save when my PS3 died, now I know my Dark Souls save lives forever on the cloud.

johntown

Banned
kodt said:

Right now it makes it so you cannot be targeted, if they remove that it is a useless item... If they don't remove it, then nothing changes.

That is the only change that matters but if they change the fog ring then they need to change the others too. If they fix strong magic shield but don't fix the fog ring then it is unbalanced.

What was wrong with Tranquil Walk of Peace? It is good for use against fog users and good for magic users. What are they going to fix with that? Or should I say what is wrong with it how it currently is?

.GqueB.

Banned
Im a level 52 character who is still trying to find a happy balance between sorcery, pyro and melee... should I be in the catacombs? I feel this game has opened up quite the bit but Im having a hard time finding where to go next.

Yo Gotti

Banned
toasty_T said:
What the hell? Have I been had?

That was the worst ending I've ever seen.

Hehehe.

Yea, it was bad. Not like they didn't tell you what would happen though :/.

Gotta see the alternate ending now

.GqueB. said:
Im a level 52 character who is still trying to find a happy balance between sorcery, pyro and melee... should I be in the catacombs? I feel this game has opened up quite the bit but Im having a hard time finding where to go next.

Catacombs is a good level - I liked it. Pinwheel is an easy boss, rite of kindling is handy (can make bonfires even stronger), and can get the blacksmith that does fire upgrades.

Thagomizer said:
I went into Blighttown the first time with 0 moss items and I didn't have the ring that helps with walking in the swamp. After awhile you just adjust to being poisoned. It really wasn't that bad as long as I avoided the few times that toxicity was a threat.

But yeah, your advice is still solid, I'm just saying that it's not absolutely necessary.

kodt

Banned
johntown said:
That is the only change that matters but if they change the fog ring then they need to change the others too. If they fix strong magic shield but don't fix the fog ring then it is unbalanced.

What was wrong with Tranquil Walk of Peace? It is good for fog users and magic users. What are they going to fix with that? Or should I say what is wrong with it how it currently is?

I think people just feel it is too overpowered and the range is too big. Once you get stuck in the slow effect you are kind of screwed, unless you are a tank.

There is a glitch with the Stone Greatsword and the infinite casting glitch, where you cast magic weapon on it (infinitely) and then the AOE effect just does damage to everything around you. I have never seen that used in PVP though and the fixing the infinite item/souls glitch would remove that.

kodt said:

Hopefully it will be a matter of the range of which you can be targeted/locked on at. Can still get an edge with keeping your distance / sneaking up / etc. Like reduce lock-on range by 60% or something - a good player will still be able to dodge/roll out of lock on range quickly to make the ring useful, but not quite as overpowering as it is now.

RyanDG

oracrest said:

To him, the first time yes. Afterwards, no. But it will remain the quickest way.

johntown

Banned
kodt said:
I think people just feel it is too overpowered and the range is too big. Once you get stuck in the slow effect you are kind of screwed, unless you are a tank.

There is a glitch with the Stone Greatsword and the infinite casting glitch, where you cast magic weapon on it (infinitely) and then the AOE effect just does damage to everything around you. I have never seen that used in PVP though and the fixing the infinite item/souls glitch would remove that.
Yeah the range is pretty big but right now that is a good counter to fog ring users. I use TWOP and Strong Magic Shield only against fog ring users. I fight all others fairly but being a magic user TWOP is really helpful since most people can dodge magic attacks. I am not really fond of them changing that but I did not have anything like that in DES so I will adapt if they make the casting time longer like Firestorm and basically make it unusable.

Also, if they limit the range of the spell the by the time most people finish casting it they will get a sword right to the face. I have got that a couple times because they were too close when I cast the spell.

sleepykyo

johntown said:

What was wrong with Tranquil Walk of Peace? It is good for use against fog users and good for magic users. What are they going to fix with that? Or should I say what is wrong with it how it currently is?

It's virtually a free backstab on the slowed opponent. Even if they decrease the range, the spell is pretty op.

Septimius

johntown said:

TWoP is the single biggest pile of garbage in this game. If you think it is a viable way to deal with anything, you're one of the people I warp away from when I invade. Fog ring is not that bad. Fog ring + TWoP is hilariously stupid. Fog ring + TWoP + fireballs from just out of reach - epic stupidity.

TWoP + Crystal Soul Spear. TWoP + anything that doesn't require you to be within melee range. Those are the reasons why it should just be deleted from the game.

There was an equivalent to Fog's Ring in Demon's Souls, and that wasn't OP, nor useless. It was mighty useful in PvE, and great for sneaking around in PvP. That's what this should do, too. It doesn't need any range reduction.

Septimius said:

Do what I did. Two hand that thing, and add one point in DEX. Helps out massively to beat everything up to Quelaag.

Also, I can 100% confirm that Quelana most certainly doesn't need you to have +10 glove for her to appear. I reached her in one hour, had not ever modified my glove. She wasn't there the first time, but I activated the bonfire and quit the game, and she was there the next time

I have a +10 Glove, visited the egg dude and the spider chick and shes not there.

I estimate that it's because I haven't killed the Gaping Dragon.

scosher

johntown said:

TWoP - big range AoE slow. If you combine it with sorceries or pyromancies, your opponent can just hurl fire orbs or soul spears/crystal soulmass and you CANNOT dodge. You can't even roll away cause TWoP prevents that. It's basically a cheese win tactic without any real counters.

tokkun

kodt said:

It would still be extremely useful in PvE.

frequency

I really wish they weren't so cryptic about when a vital class trainer appears. It's just annoying. I hate going down there.

I haven't been able to get her to appear on my NG+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom