• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow what a terrible day my ps3 started locking up every time I loaded my dark souls save file. And now my 100hrs save file has been corrupted. I have yet to even finish my first play through :(

deim0s

The patch notes tells a lot about the smithys and merchant changes, easing the availability of the shards as well. Hope someone translates it properly.

DigitalDevil said:
Also, I haven't used it yet, but I do hope this patch doesn't bork the infinite souls glitch. Would be fun to abuse that on a secondary character.
I bet people will find another one. In Demon's Souls they found a dupe glitch 2 years after the games release.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't mind if they improve stat scaling, but I hope they don't instead downrate elemental weapons. Might keep signed out until I hear back, so close to the end game I don't want anythign dealing less damage than it already is..

Zeliard

Yo Gotti said:
Has this been posted?

Patch Update for 1.04, coming out tomorrow :D.

http://darksouls.fromsoftware.jp/online/

Very rough translation:

From what I can make out sounds like there's some good stuff in here. Will wait for a good translation before I get too excited.

Needs moar duckroll translation

Looks like some neat stuff from what I can tell. Arrows/bolts being added to several merchants and a couple blacksmiths are getting more ores to sell; looks like there may also be a way to get the Master Key in-game now from the Depths/Firelink merchant, if that's what the "universal key" stuff is referring to. Lock-on targeting and switching is getting an adjustment of some sort. And killing a boss in co-op now grants you the full amount of souls instead of half?

Scaling, matchmaking and certain spells as well, which we knew. The scaling only seems to specify magic but that's probably due to the rough translation. Level up menu seems to be getting a fix. Cracked Red Eye Orbs are also getting a tweak. The absolution guy now only seems to cost soul level x 500 and maybe x 2000 after that first time, though again it's hard to tell with the translation.

Zeliard said:
Needs moar duckroll translation

Looks like some neat stuff from what I can tell. Arrows/bolts being added to several merchants and a couple blacksmiths are getting more ores to sell; looks like there may also be a way to get the Master Key in-game now from the Depths/Firelink merchant, if that's what the "universal key" stuff is referring to. Lock-on targeting and switching is getting an adjustment of some sort. And killing a boss in co-op now grants you the full amount of souls instead of half?

Scaling, matchmaking and certain spells as well, which we knew. The scaling only seems to specify magic but that's probably due to the rough translation. Level up menu seems to be getting a fix. Cracked Red Eye Orbs are also getting a tweak. The absolution guy now only seems to cost soul level x 500 and maybe x 2000 after that first time, though again it's hard to tell with the translation.
Yeah, I can't wait for a good translation. Honestly it seems like they are making a lot of changes that will make the game easier.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
The_Darkest_Red said:
You don't actually need to hit him. Run straight towards the middle of the room while blocking his attacks and look for a huge hole in the floor. In that hole is a branch you can drop to that lets you run straight towards him and under him. Keep going back and it will all make sense.

What class are you? I also killed the Pyromancer my first time through and it wasn't really a big deal. As far as the curse goes just spend some time farming souls from the frogs and then go to the merchant at the top of the church in Undead Parish (where you beat the Gargoyles). He sells a cure for 3000 souls.

You got this!

You can get cured there? I thought you had to go to the New Londo area for a cure. Awesome, thanks.

I am a pyromancer, which is why I am annoyed that I killed that guy. I know it does not really matter, but I have only had the fireball forever so I was looking forward to something new.

glaurung

shantyman said:
You can get cured there? I thought you had to go to the New Londo area for a cure. Awesome, thanks.
Actually the undead merchant in the sewer pipe also sells the curse cure now. The price is just a bit higher, I think 6000.

shantyman said:
Yeah and there is also a merchant in the sewer-like tunnel that connects Firelink to the Undead Burg that sells the cure for 6000 souls if you don't feel like traveling that far.

As long as you don't fall in any holes in The Depths it will be easy to avoid getting cursed from now on. Just take your time around the frogs and make sure to move to the side of them when they start spewing crap.

shantyman said:
I am a pyromancer, which is why I am annoyed that I killed that guy. I know it does not really matter, but I have only had the fireball forever so I was looking forward to something new.
I'll be honest... that kinda sucks. I'm not sure where the next pyro teacher is because I just started a pyro playthrough myself but I've already gotten tons of good stuff from that first guy.

Zeth

This patch should be amazing! I wonder if we will see new ranks for STR/dex weapons or if it's just under the hood. It's coming tomorrow?

xero273

Zeth said:
This patch should be amazing! I wonder if we will see new ranks for STR/dex weapons or if it's just under the hood. It's coming tomorrow?

For the japanese version. It depends on how fast the patch gets through certification process for SCEA/MS. So for US version, it could also be this week or next.

scy

Most noteworthy thing is the Giant Blacksmith getting Twinkling Titanite. There's some other notable things (Pyromancy nerf, 25 Faith for Sunbro Covenant, adjusted drop rates across the board for many items/Humanity) but fuck yeah, legit infinite (...hopefully) Twinkling Titanite.

However, it doesn't seem like the weapon scaling and glitched spells are going to be fixed for this patch. Probably just misreading it?

maomaoIYP

I hope this means that farming slabs and twinkling aren't virtually impossible anymore.

Also, how long till a 360 patch? Goddamned certification processes take forever.

fionel

Yo Gotti said:
Since it's like 10PM in Japan right now, does that mean the patch is coming out in a couple hours?

:x

its 11pm on 11/1 in japan now , which means the patch wont come out in another 13 hours.

I haven't had the time to really get into Dark Souls so I was gonna try and start it today, but looks like I'll hold out until the patch hits. I know it wouldn't make much a difference at the start but I haven't really started yet, I can wait out a little bit more.

I like that From is making a pretty comprehensive patch like this. Something you don't see too often on consoles.

kodt

Banned
Zeliard said:
Has anyone seen a Vagrant in their game?

Yes, I saw one in Darkroot Garden, across the bridge and to the right from where you fight Sif. It looked like a black metal crab, it died very easily and dropped twin humanities.

Finally found out who Pharis is, but, didn't go as planned let's just say!

scy said:
Most noteworthy thing is the Giant Blacksmith getting Twinkling Titanite. There's some other notable things (Pyromancy nerf, 25 Faith for Sunbro Covenant, adjusted drop rates across the board for many items/Humanity) but fuck yeah, legit infinite (...hopefully) Twinkling Titanite.

However, it doesn't seem like the weapon scaling and glitched spells are going to be fixed for this patch. Probably just misreading it?

The blacksmith getting Twinkling is AWESOME.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
mrklaw said:
noo. My pyromancy isn't that strong (only +10) but I need all the help i can get as a melee character with limited ranged options..

If I had to venture a guess, I'm betting they're nerfing Iron Flesh. I don't see another spell that's even close to OP in the pyro's arsenal. My main character is a pyro and even if fire orb is really useful, it takes a while to cast, has limited range and runs out pretty quick. Same with great combustion. Great spell, but you have to be within melee range to use it anyway.

matmanx1

I hope Pyromancy isn't getting nerfed too much. I specifically saw the Iron Flesh spell mentioned, which I can understand, but spells like Firestorm most definitely do not need any nerfing. Firestorm could use some buffing or additional charges, if anything.

The various fireballs all do great damage when the Flame is scaled high enough (I'm getting 950+ out of a Great Fireball I just ascended to Quelana) but the range is still short and you only get 4 charges. I've invested pretty heavily in Pyromancy here lately because it provides a great offensive boost for those of us who like to play "up close and personal" so I would hate to see it lose it's usefulness.

In other news I picked up the Uncharted 320GB Bundle last night at midnight to replace my Tales of Xillia X Edition PS3 that got struck by lightning last month. I've been limping along on an OG 60GB that has a bad hdmi port (also thanks to the lightning) but still functions over component video. I uploaded all my saves to the cloud yesterday but because of the silly 24 hour lockout on certain save files I can't play Dark Souls until this afternoon. Oh well. At least I have plenty of time to get all of my PSN stuff downloaded and installed. (But what I really want to do is just play more Dark Souls!)

The only overpowered thing about pyromancy is that you can make it perhaps a bit too powerful at low levels if you're willing to invest the souls. However, once you've maxed the flame thats it. Theres no further way to increase the damage so it gets overtaken in a big way by sorcery at higher levels.

And yeah twinkiling at the blacksmith is good news for me, really wasn't looking forward to farming clams again.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The patch sounds glorious. I hope From keeps it up and doesn't stop with them the way they did with Demon's Souls.

scy said:

If you asked me 10 days ago I wouldn't have cared, but now I hope they keep it in there. Once you've paid your dues it saves so much time.

Zeliard

scy said:

These are the two parts that seem to mention them:

some magic · review of the effect of
  "magic shield", "magic shield" strong
  "history of a moderate peace" Slow effects, such as
  "Ring of the Mist,"
  "Iron Body "

to attribute weapon · weapons capability review of the balance of
magic adjustment / armor / weapon - other
  "magic fire" magic power correction and tuning

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fuck a twinkling titanite...what about titanite slabs? Will those at least be viable to farm?

/mad at 3 hours, no drops.

Thagomizer said:
I haaaaatteee the Great Hollow. I always manage to get down to the mushroom men and then get my ass turned into pate by the big ones.
Those guys are like a demonic version of Toad.

Zeliard said:
Great Hollow was a massive crystal lizard fail on my part. :(
Ugh, same here. I saw at least 5 and ended up killing none of them...

Kenka

I don't know if this question has been asked before in this thread but are all OTs for this game (put together) the biggest GAF thread ever ?
Last time I remember a thread this big was Rock Band and I think it may have reached up to 67'000 posts but I am not sure anymore.

edit : nevermind, Halo Reach has 7 (!) OTs. Damn.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Kenka said:
I don't know if this question has been asked before in this thread but are all OTs for this game (put together) the biggest GAF thread ever ?
Last time I remember a thread this big was Rock Band and I think it may have reached up to 67'000 posts but I am not sure anymore.

Nah. Halo: Reach I believe topped H3.

Edit: Actually I think Halo 3 was the king, but Reach is still going...

Xanathus

Anyone know a really good weapon for my SL1 run? Drake Sword is out of the question and I'm a little stuck at Quelagg. I'm open to using exploits and stuff for upgrading weapons.

Kenka said:

edit : nevermind, Halo Reach has 7 (!) OTs. Damn.

The Halo 3 thread had 106,193 posts in one thread. The Smash Dojo thread was pretty massive too.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Xanathus said:
Anyone know a really good weapon for my SL1 run? Drake Sword is out of the question and I'm a little stuck at Quelagg. I'm open to using exploits and stuff for upgrading weapons.

EDIT: NVM you already started, my bad!

What are your stats?

sixghost

Xanathus said:
Why is Drake Sword out of the question?

WanderingWind said:
Fuck a twinkling titanite...what about titanite slabs? Will those at least be viable to farm?

/mad at 3 hours, no drops.

You can farm Slabs in
New Londo Ruins. The Darkwraiths drop them but extremely rarely.
In NG+, I managed to farm 2. I also managed to rack up 700,000 souls at the same time. I get 2700 souls per kill, so that was about 260 kills to get 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom