• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DigitalDevil said:
I'm jealous of all these people who now get to experience Demon's Souls for the first time. It's going to be funny the first time they try to jump :lol
Haha, yeah, I kept thinking I was doing it wrong. The kick will also be missed.

Zzoram said:
Demon's Souls is kinda harder IMO. Can't kill NG+ bosses with 3-4 hits of Homing Crystal Soul Mass.

There are also fewer weapon move sets, all weapons of the same type have the same move sets.

Upgrade stones are far more annoying to farm.

Can't sell items.

No unlimited item carry, you'll actually get burdened from holding too much non-equipped stuff. Vitality boosts your item holding limit.

No absolution. If you aggro the blacksmith or stockpile thomas or the maiden in black, LOLOLOLOL
I don't think you can aggro the Maiden. You should attack her next time you're in the Nexus.

She does have very few HP though and could accidentally killed her.

My friend hit the attack button setting down the controller, he took a swing and over half of her HP went - we both gasped.

Sarcasm

Argh I am getting so bored being lost. I rang the bell after garogyles and now somewhere with bandits and dogs that bleed.

So losssssst.

Rez said:
I haven't played much, I got distracted by UC3, but yeah, I am. Well -- hmm -- it hasn't given me that moment of clarity that Dark Souls gave me after an hour or two, but I've only just bet the first boss. I'm certainly going to keep playing. I found 1-1 to be more frustrating than much of the time I spent with Dark Souls, if only because the world is so much drearier and uninviting. Again, I've only played one level, but I don't feel like I'm exploring a world as much as I am just trying to get to the end of the level. That's a shame, because exploring and slowly getting deeper and deeper into the world was one of my favourite things about Dark Souls.

-- THIS POST MAY LOOK STUPID WHEN I PLAY FURTHER AND REALISE 1-1 WAS JUST A TRAINING WHEELS VERSION OF THINGS TO COME --

World 3-1/3-2 were sort of the "oh shit, this is amazing" moment in the game for me.

World 1-1 almost made me quit before I even got started, until I caved and started a Royal. A few years ago, being totally new to the series - starting as a Mage was a bad idea.

I sucked at he melee mechanics, relied on spells - but had no way to regen my magic other than buying spice. I'd get a little bit into the level, need to use spice to regen my magic - then need to go back to the nexus and spend any souls I got to buy another spice, and not be able to get any further the next time.

I'm sure I could do it now no problem ---- but my first four hours with that game drove me up the wall.

kvn

rogerroger22 said:
She does have very few HP though and could accidentally killed her.

My friend hit the attack button setting down the controller, he took a swing and over half of her HP went - we both gasped.

No you cannot kill her...She tells you that she could not die and is bound to the Nexus, after you "kill" her. She is not aggro either.

Zzoram

All I have left to do in NG++ of Demon's Souls was to get all the miracles and spells. I think I just got stuck on a boss and gave up that platinum. I don't have the game anymore so I can't go back and try now even if I want to.

Zzoram

If you killed the maiden in black, wouldn't that ruin that save file? no ability to level up or go to the end to finish the game.

Is that why she is invincible in nexus?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
toasty_T said:
I took a shot at Demon's for the first time yesterday. Dunno what to think yet. The first level at the castle was pretty cool though.

One thing that stuck out to me is how much more cinematic it is than Dark.

I never really got that far in it, but seem to remember being very freaked out by a hospital/prison level with medusa's shooting fireballs. Just having to sneak eveyrywhere, assuming death was in every cell, around every corner. Just so creepy.

Will go back and replay when I've finished Dark Souls, but after a break with lovely cuddly UC3 and Zelda, which will both feel like skipping through fields of daisys in comparison

MrWisker

So started NG+ last night. I was under the impression that starting a NG+ reset the enitre world back to the "start of a new game." Including covenants.

I ended the game in the Forest Covenant and one of the first things I did was high tail it to the forest to farm souls. I did not realize I was still in the covenant and killed the forest dwellers, thus screwing myself out of the covenant. Pissed me off as I did not purchase any of the covenant items on my first playthrough and I was looking forward to picking up the washing pole for PVP.

Oh, well.....there is always NG++

Zzoram

MrWisker said:
So started NG+ last night. I was under the impression that starting a NG+ reset the enitre world back to the "start of a new game." Including covenants.

I ended the game in the Forest Covenant and one of the first things I did was high tail it to the forest to farm souls. I did not realize I was still in the covenant and killed the forest dwellers, thus screwing myself out of the covenant. Pissed me off as I did not purchase any of the covenant items on my first playthrough and I was looking forward to picking up the washing pole for PVP.

or absolution

IrishNinja said:
going for the sunlight maggot helm in izalith before returning to tomb of giants - is it really that easily missable as implied elsewhere online? i usually have the covetous ring on anyway, but im reading it might be a rare drop from a non-respawning enemy.

The helm is 100% drop, but there are 9 bugs and it only drops from one of them. And only once, you can't go back and get more, even though all 9 bugs respawn. There are (IIRC) 5 on one side of the shortcut and 4 on the other.

Eccocid

man this game have lizards too! i hate them..missed my first lizard bohoho

So i was at Undeda Parish and accidentally i entered to chimney boss area and used that stone to warp back to bonfire cuz i didn't have any flasks with me. SO i decided to level up and explore more before getting slaughtered by chimney boss....I ended up in the forest lol. I li the bonfire at a tunnel. Killed one of those big knights finally.
And came to an area with a blue small dragon thing. ALmost killed it but i died boho.
Should i use few stones i have for upgrading my longsword or battle axe?
Am i gonan get a better weapon soon? Also can i push forward in that area more or do i have to return back and kill the boss at chimney?

Zeliard

MrWisker said:

Absolution post-patch is/will be soul level x 500

Varna

Eccocid said:

Tip if you want it.
They don't work quiet the same as Demons Souls. They only spawn once and if you miss them they will spawn again in the same spot later (exit/reload a couple of times works too). Not nearly as annoying. They do seem to be faster to run away so you might not even see them sometimes.

after moving to NG+ and hitting blight town...i realise how much i despise this stage. i think im going to shelve this game now. i finished it...and the bad stages outweigh the good stages from here on out so i think im done. this is prepatch i guess but i just remembered how bad it is in here..then getting out of blight town....then moving forward. bleh.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haunted said:
See you in the SC2 thread, Yoshi.
Absolutely, let's stay strong in community! :)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think I just rekindled (pun not really intended) my love for the Bandit Dagger. I just upgraded one, turned it divine and put all my remaining Green Titanite into it for the Catacombs, with the Hornet Ring equipped.

It's so much fun. What's a normal attack? EVERYTHING IS A BACKSTAB. The only downside is that I feel mildly silly because my shield is like three times the size of my weapon.

Sinople

I feel like I'm cheating now that I can buy twinkling titanites from the giant blacksmith. I fully upgraded my black night armor set too easily.

Eccocid

Did i miss some info...Can you carry unlimited amount of armor and weapons? Can't see any limit for it so far and i have like 23074092472930 swords on me..

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Eccocid said:
Did i miss some info...Can you carry unlimited amount of armor and weapons? Can't see any limit for it so far and i have like 23074092472930 swords on me..
Unlimited pretty much.

Eccocid said:
Yep, the item load limit from DeS was dropped.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Eccocid said:
Yes. Your carrying weight is only based on what you have equipped at that moment. Your inventory is unlimited.

johntown

Banned
toasty_T said:
Anyone wanna help me get Priscilla's tail?

SL 114
I will going for this shortly too. Does anyone know where the hit point is on the tail? Close to the end? Or closer to her body?

BTW I would help but I am SL92 too far out of range.

GeekyDad

Started a new character, aggroed the Tauren boss, and then ran up the ladder to see if I could cheese him. He would have none of that shit. Learned the hard way. LOL

johntown said:
I will going for this shortly too. Does anyone know where the hit point is on the tail? Close to the end? Or closer to her body?

I got it with a veritcal chop about 1/3 from the base? It may have been 2H r1 or r2 with my Iaito... I think it hit closer to the base than the end, but her tail is so short comparatively that it's hard to do. Definitely wasn't aiming at the tip, but more the middle when it connected and dropped.

Hit her with an arrow or some poison cloud or something so you can track her (poison is probably preferable, since you could see her damage bar I would think (little, not big) while she's vanished.

I did it solo in NG+ and got the tail when she was less than 1/4 health. I thought I was going to have to die on purpose, then it dropped so I slaughtered her. Lightning Iaito really isn't fair to her... I should think any lightning weapon with a large horizontal slash/swing window could do the same... you just want minimal damage from it, since you can use 2-3 of those to easily "shot in the dark" and once connected with 2-3, she'll reappear.

Eccocid said:

Pretty sure they respawn in this game until you actually kill them / they actually die (not sure if falling off of a cliff counts as a death though.) But if they run into the distance and fade away - they will respawn until you actually kill them. You can just quit game / re-start and they should re-appear.

johntown said:

I got it after a couple attempts when I switched to a Claymore. All you need to do is make sure you're hitting her in the back. The most opportune time to do this is after her scythe swipe attack. She'll show you her back momentarily when she's recovering. Get a hit in then and back off.

The biggest mistake you can make is hitting her at get sides and think you're making progress. If you can see that she's going to die shortly, get yourself killed near the entrance and try again. While I'm not saying this strategy is completely sound, I got her to drop it when she was at 30% health. It's easier if there's a second person acting as a distraction but it's still fairly easy solo.

frequency

Eccocid said:
Yeah I think there's no limit.

I find it kind of annoying. I wish I could see what I'm looting before I loot it or something. Scrolling through a list of 300 items, each with 20 duplicates to find a specific thing is really annoying. Dropping them takes too many button presses. Feeding to Frampt is annoying when you can only do 1 at a time. I've fed him stuff by mistake before because I was spamming the X button to sell a huge list of duplicates but since you can only see 4 items per page, I hit the next item by mistake.

And it sucks that I can't just not pick up items because I still need shards/chunks and stuff.

BigAT

Is there any point to upgrading Greatshield of Artorias? It seems like no useful stat actually gets upgraded. Also, is that the highest stability shield in the game?

Mechanized said:
Getting cursed is the worst fucking thing.

I "kinda" liked that even on NG++ those frogs were still scary to fight ;)

Although if you bother to equip Cursebite ring and have some good humanity stocked, you can basically sit in those clouds until they dissipate and never be even close to being cursed.

BigAT said:
Is there any point to upgrading Greatshield of Artorias? It seems like no useful stat actually gets upgraded. Also, is that the highest stability shield in the game?

Upgrading doesn't affect stability, so no point in upgrading it. But yes, it does have the highest stability in the game. I love using it. Plus it looks cool.

aasoncott

GeekyDad said:
Started a new character, aggroed the Tauren boss, and then ran up the ladder to see if I could cheese him. He would have none of that shit. Learned the hard way. LOL

Haha, the exact same thing happened to me. I'm pretty sure I screamed out loud.

Four kings boss is a pain in the ass! I've made a few attempts and my last I died while jumping into the abyss because I hit the edge of stairs on the way down. Wtf?

Oracle Dragon said:
I "kinda" liked that even on NG++ those frogs were still scary to fight ;)

Although if you bother to equip Cursebite ring and have some good humanity stocked, you can basically sit in those clouds until they dissipate and never be even close to being cursed.

They don't really attack you, other than trying to curse, that's the main offense they have -- so if you just put on crimson robes, you're fine. I think dingy robes are good too... maybe the antiquated set as well. But if you know there's going to be frogs (depths, great hollow, ash lake) just switch out your armor. The 2 times I got cursed unwillingly were before I realized that the red robes gave like 3x curse protection of the gold hemmed ones.

Anyone know the changes made to Ornstein's armour in the patch?

For something that reduces the stamina regen rate it's kind of shit despite it's awesome aesthetics.

frequency said:
Yeah I think there's no limit.

I find it kind of annoying. I wish I could see what I'm looting before I loot it or something. Scrolling through a list of 300 items, each with 20 duplicates to find a specific thing is really annoying. Dropping them takes too many button presses. Feeding to Frampt is annoying when you can only do 1 at a time. I've fed him stuff by mistake before because I was spamming the X button to sell a huge list of duplicates but since you can only see 4 items per page, I hit the next item by mistake.

And it sucks that I can't just not pick up items because I still need shards/chunks and stuff.

One of the blacksmiths sells a bottomless box that you can throw the trash into.

.GqueB.

Banned
Zzoram said:
The problem is that he's so easy to cheese with magic, while that wasn't true of the Demon's Souls final boss who felt more threatening (super dash, soul level drain)
I have a question here. I keep hearing about people who had issue with the final boss in Demon's Soul. Is it the same enemy that slithers around on the ground in that small little area or am I missing something here?

frequency

Thagomizer said:
One of the blacksmiths sells a bottomless box that you can throw the trash into.
I have the bottomless box. But I still have to scroll through all that junk when I want to take something out. It does make it a bit better though since I can clear my inventory of junk.

Thagomizer said:

The interface for that is soooo bad. It should have been just press x to dump highlighted item into box.
You know, like any other sensible storage system in the last 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom