• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eusis said:
You only use Fire Keeper Souls from your inventory when your Estus Flask is +7, at that point it can't be reinforced so they're spare humanity items instead.

You can also drop them for friends when you coop. Because through your first playthrough the max you can get is +6 even if you kill all the firekeeper's because then you don't have a firekeeper to upgrade your flask. So if you give a friend one and he kills all but one of the firekeeper's he can get to +7 on his first playthrough.

IrishNinja

ah, right right, meant weapons. it sucks the wiki (which seems down right now) keeps putting together guides with weapons you dont need for it - looks like i still have to rank up the gravelord or whichever covenant wants 10 souvenirs of reprisals for the miracle trophy though, crap. farming harpies sounds like a blast...

Augemitbutter said:
it is required. are you still using false lists?

ah, so - the 3rd rank one that grabs more humanity, or the base one you get before it?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Is there a list of "things" you could miss out by just not doing them at the right time etc.

Like - if you kill xxx before doing xxx you`ll not get to go to xxx and collect xxx.

IrishNinja

nice. looks like i just need a few more weapons in upcoming areas, some more boss soul ones, 2 tails and whatever drop i missed in duke's. what's everyone using as a legit knight's honor list?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm wondering about something kind of esoteric: is Berenike a place or a person? The phrasing on the Steel Armor item description implies it's a place, the phrasing on the Black Iron Shield implies it's a person.

Edit: ... aaaaand nevermind. Immediately after posting this I discover the Tower Shield clearly states Berenike is a person. Scratch one mystery.

Bonus question: does anyone know if he's ever mentioned in dialogue anywhere? I can't recall ever hearing his name, but that doesn't mean it never happens.

Zzoram

knitoe said:
I am using the official guide. That's incorrect?

Slightly. It claims you need a Titanite Pole but you don't. You don't need the Ghost Blade either.

Also, this may not be in the guide, but you need a Crescent Axe. You can buy it from Patches.

Nose Master

akira28 said:
WAIT!

No. You trade the keeper soul in to the fire keeper. You use it you waste it. It just gives you 6 humanity. I was pissed when I wasted mine. Luckily there was the other one in Anor Londo

You were too late. :(.

PS: How do I use the gold pine resin? Do I need to be engaged with an enemy or something?

Zzoram

Nose Master said:
You were too late. :(.

PS: How do I use the gold pine resin? Do I need to be engaged with an enemy or something?

equip the resin in one of your 5 quick slots, press down on dpad until it is selected, press square (on ps3) to use your quickslot item (same button as for Estus) and you'll rub the resin on your right-hand weapon

you can only use resin on weapons that don't already have magical properties, and aren't unique dragon or boss associated weapons

therefore, you can use it on a Claymore +15, but not on a Lightning Claymore +5 or Drake Sword, for example

Therefore, especially after patch 1.04, a Claymore +15 with resin is better than a Lightning Claymore +5 for overall damage.

IrishNinja

nah, you just use it like any consumable item, and enjoy lightning on your weapon for a bit - great for the gargoyles! but i don't think it works on weapons like the drake sword.

Zzoram

Insaniac said:
http://youtu.be/lZTbTFYHp0E

Sorcery damage post patch. Seems like only Crystal Homing mass got the big end of the nerf bat

The magic enchant weapons get a buff

I can't read Japanese

Is the first shot in each comparison pre or post patch? it seems like homing got a slight nerf, crystal homing got a big nerf, and everything else is the same

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Crystal Homing Soulmass looks to be a pretty marginal improvement over the regular version now. Which I suppose isn't that unreasonable since it only requires 6 more Intelligence to equip.

I've been pondering making a Faith build and was mulling over the possibility of taking some Int boosts to have some sorcery spells to use with the Tin Darkmoon Catalyst, and it looks like post-patch 18 Int would get me everything I'd be interested in.

Chakan

Well I beat the game. Last boss wasn't the hardest, but it was good fight.
However, I'm very disappointed with the Gravelord Nito fight. I mean, seriously, he should be tougher. Killed him on my first try.

Dark Souls is a very good game, but I don't think I'll play it again on NG+. First of all, despite the fact of being one of the best releases of this year, it lacks some of the feeling from Demon's Souls, not to mention all the bugs DaSo has.

I was way more impressed with the boss fights from DeSo too.
I mean, seriously, that Dragon God was INSANE and having a last boss that can DRAIN your levels? How awesome is that? Now thats a boss worth fighting.

I got my platinum on DeSo, but my time on DaSo is done, for now.

Overall, DeSo is 10/10 for me. DaSo is 9/10.

Now its time to start playing BF3, U3 and Batman lol

ixix said:
NPC phantoms who die in a boss fight don't die permanently. You can re-summon them if you don't beat the boss and they'll still be alive in the outside world. Basically there are no consequences for them dying in battle, so feel free to summon them whenever you please.

Don't use the Fire Keeper Souls from your inventory, take them to a Fire Keeper and use the Reinforce Estus Flask option. If you use them from your inventory you just get some Humanity, which isn't nearly as useful..
Humanity can heal you in a pinch, but until one reaches max estus, they definitely should use them only to upgrade.

NBtoaster

For all the build up to the proper fight with Seath, he was a bit of a pushover. I suppose it's harder if the clams get in there. Priscilla was easy as well.

Zzoram

NBtoaster said:
For all the build up to the proper fight with Seath, he was a bit of a pushover. I suppose it's harder if the clams get in there. Priscilla was easy as well.

The hard part about those two is getting their tails. They are the two hardest tails to cut.

Zzoram said:
Ya the dark souls final boss is really underwhelming

the story segments
cough
surrounding the boss were disappointing, i agree, but the actual fight is very interesting as a melee fighter if you don't cheese him.

too many oversights by FS though.

test_account

XP-39C²
IrishNinja said:
hey, is there any one catalyst/talisman/etc that can be used for sorcery, miracles and pyro, or at least more than one category? i know i had one for both in Demons Souls and it was crazy-useful, be nice not to have to switch out secondary stuff much.
There is one wand that can be used for both sorcery and pyro if i remember correctly. But i think that it is weaker when using sorcery with it, so i wouldnt really recommend it as a dual sorcery/pyro weapon.

Eccocid

Wouw..this game is much more unforgiving than Demons Souls...

Fuck Undead Parish and high level enemies lurking around there.
I keep stumbling to them lol. The big guy at the bottom of tower before first boss fight at bridge. And those knights with horns bohohoho. So tempting but they always one shot me hehe.

So here are some questions;

I was summoned once and helped a guy to kill the bridge boss. I noticed that i can't use flask to heal myself when i am helping. Is that normal?

The guy i helped sent me a msg on pen and told me about this jumping trick what was it?(I already killed the boss at my world tho)

I am pyromancer now almost level 20 and still at Undead Parish. A friend told me that later in the game bosses are immune to fire etc. Should i start as Sorcerer? Cant every class learn every spell in this game like in Demon's Souls?
And seems like with the lack of mana, it feels like spell casting had been nerfed so i shouldn't be relying on spells(it feels more strategic tho)

I still couldn't decide with which class i should continue to game. I started as Thief first but it will be uber difficult for bosses. Knight sounds strong but lack of range is annoying. Uggggh can't decide.

Zzoram

Augemitbutter said:
the story segments
cough
surrounding the boss were disappointing, i agree, but the actual fight is very interesting as a melee fighter if you don't cheese him.

too many oversights by FS though.

The problem is that he's so easy to cheese with magic, while that wasn't true of the Demon's Souls final boss who felt more threatening (super dash, soul level drain)

Zzoram

Eccocid said:
Wouw..this game is much more unforgiving than Demons Souls...

Fuck Undead Parish and high level enemies lurking around there.
I keep stumbling to them lol. The big guy at the bottom of tower before first boss fight at bridge. And those knights with horns bohohoho. So tempting but they always one shot me hehe.

So here are some questions;

I was summoned once and helped a guy to kill the bridge boss. I noticed that i can't use flask to heal myself when i am helping. Is that normal?

The guy i helped sent me a msg on pen and told me about this jumping trick what was it?(I already killed the boss at my world tho)

I am pyromancer now almost level 20 and still at Undead Parish. A friend told me that later in the game bosses are immune to fire etc. Should i start as Sorcerer? Cant every class learn every spell in this game like in Demon's Souls?
And seems like with the lack of mana, it feels like spell casting had been nerfed so i shouldn't be relying on spells(it feels more strategic tho)

I still couldn't decide with which class i should continue to game. I started as Thief first but it will be uber difficult for bosses. Knight sounds strong but lack of range is annoying. Uggggh can't decide.

I don't think any bosses are immune to fire, but a few are resistant. Just use melee on those bosses instead. Pyromancers are meant to be melee characters with fire for support.

The drop thing is, if you climb the ladder just beside the entrance to that bridge after triggering Taurus, you can then drop down and press R1 to do a drop attack for ~8x the normal melee damage you do. That is often a good way to start the fight since it takes his health down significantly.

Eccocid

So what about not being able to use flask when summoned? Was that normal?

I had up to 4 humanity points once..tho when i become human actually?

V_Arnold

Zzoram said:
I don't think any bosses are immune to fire, but a few are resistant. Just use melee on those bosses instead. Pyromancers are meant to be melee characters with fire for support.

Quelagg definitely is immune to fire. Hit her with pyromancy, and you get no damage. Not even a "0" will show up.

Eccocid said:
So what about not being able to use flask when summoned? Was that normal?

I had up to 4 humanity points once..tho when i become human actually?

it's very normal. the host can heal you with flasks if you stand near him.

you can revert back to human at any bonfire at the cost of one humanity.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Augemitbutter said:
it's very normal. the host can heal you with flasks if you stand near him.

you can revert back to human at any bonfire at the cost of one humanity.
What button does the host press to do this?

Zzoram said:
The problem is that he's so easy to cheese with magic, while that wasn't true of the Demon's Souls final boss who felt more threatening (super dash, soul level drain)

indeed. i don't want to compare him to the last boss of demon's souls, that seems kinda unfair at this point, but i enjoyed him as a melee with light armor nonetheless. the music is great as well.

Eccocid

Rez said:
What button does the host press to do this?

I guess when hosts heal himself you get healed too?
Ugh i am gonna jump in to game now! and get killed! lol

One thing i liked more in Demons Souls was nexus tho. Lack of a separate hub from game world is kinda disturbing! I always felt safe at Nexus !

toddhunter said:
Depends how you play. For example I only realised you could run in Demon Souls when I was in like NG++

Eh? lol really? How did you pass the bridge with red dragon? lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny reading your experiences, Eccoid. I started playing Demon's Souls for the first time after fi owning Dark Souls and it's freaking me out in the same way. :p

Kyoufu

FROM just tweeted that they are investigating the issue of summon signs not being visible. Seems like that issue is for the patched version.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
Are you liking Demon's Souls any better now after Dark Souls, Rez?
I haven't played much, I got distracted by UC3, but yeah, I am. Well -- hmm -- it hasn't given me that moment of clarity that Dark Souls gave me after an hour or two, but I've only just bet the first boss. I'm certainly going to keep playing. I found 1-1 to be more frustrating than much of the time I spent with Dark Souls, if only because the world is so much drearier and uninviting. Again, I've only played one level, but I don't feel like I'm exploring a world as much as I am just trying to get to the end of the level. That's a shame, because exploring and slowly getting deeper and deeper into the world was one of my favourite things about Dark Souls.

-- THIS POST MAY LOOK STUPID WHEN I PLAY FURTHER AND REALISE 1-1 WAS JUST A TRAINING WHEELS VERSION OF THINGS TO COME --

Zzoram

Rez said:
I haven't played much, I got distracted by UC3, but yeah, I am. Well -- hmm -- it hasn't given me that moment of clarity that Dark Souls gave me after an hour or two, but I've only just bet the first boss. I'm certainly going to keep playing. I found 1-1 to be more frustrating than much of the time I spent with Dark Souls, if only because the world is so much drearier and uninviting. Again, I've only played one level, but I don't feel like I'm exploring a world as much as I am just trying to get to the end of the level. That's a shame, because exploring and slowly getting deeper and deeper into the world was one of my favourite things about Dark Souls.

-- THIS POST MAY LOOK STUPID WHEN I PLAY FURTHER AND REALISE 1-1 WAS JUST A TRAINING WHEELS VERSION OF THINGS TO COME --

1-1 and the Undead Burg seem equivalent to me. Maybe the Undead Burg is better designed though.

Zzoram said:
1-1 and the Undead Burg seem equivalent to me. Maybe the Undead Burg is better designed though.

1-1 was better designed for pain, Undead Burg was better designed for OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH LOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKK

Zeliard

Rez said:

Yeah one of the reasons I love Dark Souls' open world so much is because it puts a premium on exploration, and thus feels a lot more adventurous. It's just a natural end effect of opening the world up so much.

I still think Demon's Souls' levels are a lot of fun to explore since they're beautifully designed, but the hub and stage system means you can inevitably feel like you're just completing level after level rather than organically exploring a world in the way it feels in Dark Souls. It can end up feeling a bit more mechanical, basically.

To people who dislike open worlds, though, Demon's Souls' more structured approach is a positive.

Rez said:

1-1 is basically training wheels. :D

You can't even level up till after you beat it. However even though it's technically the level that trains you for what's to come, for many players it can end up the toughest one to beat in the game outside of certain boss encounters. Though if you're coming from Dark Souls you should be able to manage it pretty well.

DigitalDevil said:
1-1 was better designed for pain, Undead Burg was better designed for OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH LOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKK
Nothing wrong with that though. :) Reaching the chapel for the first time was as epic it deserved to be.

I took a shot at Demon's for the first time yesterday. Dunno what to think yet. The first level at the castle was pretty cool though.

One thing that stuck out to me is how much more cinematic it is than Dark.

54-46!

How much (and what) did You farm before NG?

Also thinkin about picking up Demon's now that I've finished Dark Souls, will be interesting to see what's different.

I'm jealous of all these people who now get to experience Demon's Souls for the first time. It's going to be funny the first time they try to jump :lol

Zzoram

54-46! said:
How much (and what) did You farm before NG?

Also thinkin about picking up Demon's now that I've finished Dark Souls, will be interesting to see what's different.

Demon's Souls is kinda harder IMO. Can't kill NG+ bosses with 3-4 hits of Homing Crystal Soul Mass.

There are also fewer weapon move sets, all weapons of the same type have the same move sets.

Upgrade stones are far more annoying to farm.

Can't sell items.

No unlimited item carry, you'll actually get burdened from holding too much non-equipped stuff. Vitality boosts your item holding limit.

No absolution. If you aggro the blacksmith or stockpile thomas or the maiden in black, LOLOLOLOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom