• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

ZackieChan said:
Can anyone recommend a good early grinding spot?
I've beaten Capra and Butterfly, but can't beat Gaping Dragon yet.
Where should I go around here? In the depths? Killing those ice/diamond guys in the Basin? Thanks!

Save up 20,000 souls and buy the key crest from the blacksmith. Open the sealed door in the area before those stone knights in dark root garden.

To get souls quickly, go ahead and beat the gaping dragon. Don't lock on, stay close, move away when he raises his body, wait for the slam, hit head three times, run to the side, hit his butt a couple of more, watch out for the occasional butt stomp or tail swipe, and repeat. That's seriously the pattern, you won't get hit if you follow it.

NBtoaster

Eusis said:
I've mainly found the Dragonslayer bow useful against the Hellkite. Otherwise it's not significantly enough better than other bows to go after due to the equip burden making it too heavy to keep on the offhand.

I found it useful for the undead dragons as well. I don't think it's a weapon you should carry around all the time, but just use it when you want to the jump on something nasty in the distance. Might be good for the
taurus demons
in the demon ruins as well.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
corrosivefrost said:
Some is good; some is horrible. Vamos in particular. My god, it sounded like a 64kbs wav file. :(

As tangentially-related aside, if you look carefully while he's hammering you will notice that
Vamos' spinal column is not connected to his pelvis or ribcage. It just sort of... floats, swaying with every swing of the hammer.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thagomizer said:
You, You MONSTER! The Fair Lady! What have you done? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!? * Horrifically anguished weeping*

If those two characters don't make you feel like a terrible person for killing them, you are completely dead inside.
Well, at least I'm not completely dead inside. :'(

NBtoaster said:
I found it useful for the undead dragons as well. I don't think it's a weapon you should carry around all the time, but just use it when you want to the jump on something nasty in the distance. Might be good for the
taurus demons
in the demon ruins as well.

I found that it thinned out the Capra Demon gauntlet pretty nicely.

I have 6 silver straight swords, and still no spear. Damn you silver knights!

Aselith

Man, I go t a Chaos Estoc +4 and that thing is fucking awesome. :) Testing it on the Black Knights in the Kiln...I was backstabbing them for 660. Contrast that with a Lightning Iaito +5 which did 525 and Chaos Great Scythe +4 which did about 650 and Chaos Spear +1 which did like 348 (at that same level my Estoc was doing 529 backstabs). Plus, it's fast as shit. Does about 80 per damage pokes which I think is respectable. I'm really happy with it right now. Should mention that was all with maxed bonus from humanity.

rance said:
Save up 20,000 souls and buy the key crest from the blacksmith. Open the sealed door in the area before those stone knights in dark root garden.

To get souls quickly, go ahead and beat the gaping dragon. Don't lock on, stay close, move away when he raises his body, wait for the slam, hit head three times, run to the side, hit his butt a couple of more, watch out for the occasional butt stomp or tail swipe, and repeat. That's seriously the pattern, you won't get hit if you follow it.

Gonna go try it now. Wish me luck.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aselith said:
Man, I go t a Chaos Estoc +4 and that thing is fucking awesome. :) Testing it on the Black Knights in the Kiln...I was backstabbing them for 660. Contrast that with a Lightning Iaito +5 which did 525 and Chaos Great Scythe +4 which did about 650 and Chaos Spear +1 which did like 348 (at that same level my Estoc was doing 529 backstabs). Plus, it's fast as shit. Does about 80 per damage pokes which I think is respectable. I'm really happy with it right now. Should mention that was all with maxed bonus from humanity.
Obviously the biggest impact came from the hornet ring but my Lightning Knife +5/Hornet Ring backstabs did 1085 to those guys.

BeeDog

Hawkian said:
Obviously the biggest impact came from the hornet ring but my Lightning Knife +5/Hornet Ring backstabs did 1085 to those guys.

Backstabbing with a Fire Zweihander +10 also did around 1000 (something like 115 + 882) in damage without the Hornet Ring.

Aselith

Hawkian said:

I'll have to try it with the Hornet Ring.

Edit: All right, so it was 990 with Hornet Ring and I went ahead and upgraded it to +5 which brought it to 1055. You win this round, Hawkian! :p

I tested with Lightning Iaito +5 and it was doing a measly 785. :(

IrishNinja

hey, is there any one catalyst/talisman/etc that can be used for sorcery, miracles and pyro, or at least more than one category? i know i had one for both in Demons Souls and it was crazy-useful, be nice not to have to switch out secondary stuff much.

Dresden

IrishNinja said:
hey, is there any one catalyst/talisman/etc that can be used for sorcery, miracles and pyro, or at least more than one category? i know i had one for both in Demons Souls and it was crazy-useful, be nice not to have to switch out secondary stuff much.
Nope.

Aselith

Saren is Bad said:
So I upgraded my Iaito to +5 and now I can't find it on my Reinforce Weapon menu. What do?

You have to go to the Parish blacksmith and use the modify weapon menu to reinforce it to +6 which will require an Ember (which you probably already got.) Go check there. You have to do that with any upgrade every five levels generally and it will also require a higher tier ore to upgrade in your case, it will be Large Titanite.

IrishNinja

Dresden said:

balls!
okay, well, where are the warp points past the abyss? i just finished the crystal cave, not sure if there's one back to duke's - do any campsites in izalith or gaint's tomb serve as them?
*edit nevermind, i should read the wiki better.

Aselith said:
You have to go to the Parish blacksmith and use the modify weapon menu to reinforce it to +6 which will require an Ember (which you probably already got.) Go check there. You have to do that with any upgrade every five levels generally and it will also require a higher tier ore to upgrade in your case, it will be Large Titanite.

If I want it to be lightning I go to +10 correct?

Aselith

Saren is Bad said:
If I want it to be lightning I go to +10 correct?

Yep and then you'll need to visit the blacksmith in Anor Londo instead of the Parish as he's the only one that can do lightning.

IrishNinja

going for the sunlight maggot helm in izalith before returning to tomb of giants - is it really that easily missable as implied elsewhere online? i usually have the covetous ring on anyway, but im reading it might be a rare drop from a non-respawning enemy.

Aselith

IrishNinja said:
going for the sunlight maggot helm in izalith before returning to tomb of giants - is it really that easily missable as implied elsewhere online? i usually have the covetous ring on anyway, but im reading it might be a rare drop from a non-respawning enemy.

I've gotten it both times I went there. I can't say for sure that it's not rare but if it is then I must have a rabbit's foot stuck in my ass. I'd say as long as you find the place where it is, you'll get it.

Dresden

IrishNinja said:
It's always dropped for me, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you reach the right place it's like, well, unmissable.

Eusis

Yeah, far as I can tell it's a guranteed drop from a red-eyed Chaos Bug. Incidentally, I suspect that (character related spoiler)
despite the guide and other places saying ALL Chaos Bugs must be killed to save Solaire before entering Lost Izalith, it's only that one that matters since the rest keep respawning, and don't drop the Sunlight Maggot you see on his head taking him over.

ixix

Eusis said:
Yeah, far as I can tell it's a guranteed drop from a red-eyed Chaos Bug. Incidentally, I suspect that (character related spoiler)
despite the guide and other places saying ALL Chaos Bugs must be killed to save Solaire before entering Lost Izalith, it's only that one that matters since the rest keep respawning, and don't drop the Sunlight Maggot you see on his head taking him over.

On that subject,
I know that until the patch hits Solaire's quest line is bugged in NG+ and beyond, but is it possible to get him to show up in Izalith pre-patch? I wanted to kill him so I could verify the item descriptions of all of his equipment personally, and figured letting him get brainsucked by the maggot would be the most guilt-free way to do it. But he never showed up.

I don't want to straight-up murder the poor guy in cold blood, but if circumstances demand...

Dresden

ixix said:
On that subject,
I know that until the patch hits Solaire's quest line is bugged in NG+ and beyond, but is it possible to get him to show up in Izalith pre-patch? I wanted to kill him so I could verify the item descriptions of all of his equipment personally, and figured letting him get brainsucked by the maggot would be the most guilt-free way to do it. But he never showed up.

I don't want to straight-up murder the poor guy in cold blood, but if circumstances demand...
I think he just disappears after Undead Burg in ng+. Didn't even show up in Anor Londo for me. Never was able to save him because of that.

ixix

Welp. Then it looks like I am doing the unthinkable the minute NG+++ starts.

maomaoIYP

Dresden said:
I think he just disappears after Undead Burg in ng+. Didn't even show up in Anor Londo for me. Never was able to save him because of that.

He never disappeared in my game. I went back to Undead Burg a few times way down the quest line and he was still there, admiring the sun. He just never progressed on.

2AdEPT

gamelova said:
What's a good sword to use to upgrade to a divine weapon? I have been using Queelags Fury blade for half the game now, but I want a good divine weapon to take out the skeletons at the catacombs and tomb of the giants.
I like using the astora short sword for early game as opposed to the drake...it does take a little faith but then does well for the skelly's in the catacombs.

I made a greatsword of artorias for the ghosts and found that when i got to darkwraiths I needed more power, didn't have enough demon titanite or whatever, and ranged weapons like the crystal ring shield took over.....in other words a waste of a soul (but I guess if it also does the skelly's that's great ...I already did that level with astora) I preferred my shield, and all the normal weapons I usually carry pyro's etc. transient curses don't halve your health and one lasts long enough to kill all ghosts, three darkwraiths and the 4 kings if you mow straight through after opening the floodgates....not even sure you need them for kings as i killed them shortly after starting the level, but did use one at the start.....didn't bother with any special weapon for ghosts the second time and is going fine without (though I know the level now and can afford to rush through.)

Aselith

2AdEPT said:
I like using the astora short sword for early game as opposed to the drake...it does take a little faith but then does well for the skelly's in the catacombs.

I made a greatsword of artorias for the ghosts and found that when i got to darkwraiths I needed more power, didn't have enough demon titanite or whatever, and ranged weapons like the crystal ring shield took over.....in other words a waste of a soul (but I guess if it also does the skelly's that's great ...I already did that level with astora) I preferred my shield, and all the normal weapons I usually carry pyro's etc. transient curses don't halve your health and one lasts long enough to kill all ghosts, three darkwraiths and the 4 kings if you mow straight through after opening the floodgates....not even sure you need them for kings as i killed them shortly after starting the level, but did use one at the start.....didn't bother with any special weapon for ghosts the second time and is going fine without (though I know the level now and can afford to rush through.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ISHYtccEs0

ixix

Orayn said:
Oh snap, I think we might know the name of From's next RPG, which could very well be a sequel to Dark Souls.

www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-10-30/from-software-files-dark-forest-game-trademark

EDIT: Mock if old.

I'm not sure if I'd assume that's related to Dark Souls. As far as I know Dark Souls in Japan is just known as Dark Souls, rendered in English, whereas according to that link the trademark they filed is for Yami no Mori, which translates to Dark Forest but which doesn't follow the trend of the title being in English even in Japan.

It'd be swell if it is a follow-up, but I'm not pinning my hopes on a woodland-themed Demon's/Dark Souls successor just yet.

knitoe

Dresden said:
Got him to help me during S&O fight in NG+ and NG++. He didn't appear in Izalith NG+. I was wondering what happen after opening the shortcut door. I haven't gotten that far yet in NG++. I am still trying to farm for my weapon trophy, only missing the Ghost Blade.

Nose Master

Ugh. Was in a pretty good groove, went through a mist door instead of cashing in my souls (so I can finally use the Drake Sword) and BOSS OUTTA NOWHERE. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Least it's an easy trip back there to collect your souls.

Want tips?
Go human, and look around the boss door and you can summon Solaire and Lautrec if you've rescued him.

Ristlager

Is there any reason for me to use any other weapon than the Uichi (lighning +3)/Other katana I can't remember the name for(normal +10)? I am a mainly dex build (45), but since the scaling is so rubbish, I have increased end, vit to 32, strenght to 24. I have tried some of the great swords, but I find them to slow, I want to be fast. Any other recomendation would be great, as I have grown a little tired of them. I have drained the ghost place for water. And done the whole New Londo bit.

Dresden

Ristlager said:
Is there any reason for me to use any other weapon than the Uichi (lighning +3)/Other katana I can't remember the name for(normal +10)? I am a mainly dex build (45), but since the scaling is so rubbish, I have increased end, vit to 32, strenght to 24. I have tried some of the great swords, but I find them to slow, I want to be fast. Any other recomendation would be great, as I have grown a little tired of them. I have drained the ghost place for water. And done the whole New Londo bit.
The Washing Pole, maybe? It's basically a longer katana with worse scaling, perfect for elemental weapons.

Aselith said:
I've gotten it both times I went there. I can't say for sure that it's not rare but if it is then I must have a rabbit's foot stuck in my ass. I'd say as long as you find the place where it is, you'll get it.

yes, it drops every time afaik.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ixix said:
So shocked am I by this revelation that no fewer than three exclamation points can properly convey my surprise:

!!!

I definitely checked for him twice. Once immediately after Anor Londo and once after placing the Lordvessel but before going to the Duke's Archive. I had finished the Tomb of Giants and New Londo before the second check, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. After the Duke's Archive he was there, though. Just a narcoleptic walking onion big as you please hanging out in the swamp like it was a thing to do.

I was down in blight town farming leeches and bumped into him. I'd placed the lord vessel and one soul, but haven't yet gone into the Duke's archives or Lost Izalith. After giving him the moss he was at the fire link shrine next time I went there.

Nose Master

Hawkian said:
Least it's an easy trip back there to collect your souls.

Want tips?
Go human, and look around the boss door and you can summon Solaire and Lautrec if you've rescued him.

Oh, nice.
I did rescue him, I didn't know you could summon NPCs, though. If he dies once in the fight is he gone forever?

Also, using a fire keeper soul will permanently increase my flask potency, right? I'm always paranoid everything will be temporary in this game.

IrishNinja

wait wait, Knight's Armor trophy checklist on the wiki says i need the Dark Hand, from 3rd rank (give 80 humanity) to the dark wraith covenant. is that right? i thought the one you got either just for joining or at rank 1 would suffice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
have the lightning spear (upgraded a bit), and a winged spear +10, and another normal spear +7 (I like spears...). Also the demon's spear. Don't have Ornstein's soul for dragonslayer.

does the winged spear have noticeably longer range than the lightning spear? Or is there another spear I can upgrade and elementalise? lightning spear feels like it has limited reach sometimes.

I'm a dex build so not that strong.

glaurung

mrklaw said:
have the lightning spear (upgraded a bit), and a winged spear +10, and another normal spear +7 (I like spears...). Also the demon's spear.

does the winged spear have noticeably longer range than the lightning spear? Or is there another spear I can upgrade and elementalise? lightning spear feels like it has limited reach sometimes.
The Partizan and Trident are also pretty nifty. I guess you might get some more spears later on, but at some point you may want to try out halberds instead.

mrklaw said:
have the lightning spear (upgraded a bit), and a winged spear +10, and another normal spear +7 (I like spears...). Also the demon's spear. Don't have Ornstein's soul for dragonslayer.

I'm a dex build so not that strong.

The best reach you can get with spears is the Pike, but it weighs 10 so you have to be careful with it.

ixix

Nose Master said:
Oh, nice.
I did rescue him, I didn't know you could summon NPCs, though. If he dies once in the fight is he gone forever?

Also, using a fire keeper soul will permanently increase my flask potency, right? I'm always paranoid everything will be temporary in this game.

NPC phantoms who die in a boss fight don't die permanently. You can re-summon them if you don't beat the boss and they'll still be alive in the outside world. Basically there are no consequences for them dying in battle, so feel free to summon them whenever you please.

Don't use the Fire Keeper Souls from your inventory, take them to a Fire Keeper and use the Reinforce Estus Flask option. If you use them from your inventory you just get some Humanity, which isn't nearly as useful..

akira28

Nose Master said:

WAIT!

No. You trade the keeper soul in to the fire keeper. You use it you waste it. It just gives you 6 humanity. I was pissed when I wasted mine. Luckily there was the other one in Anor Londo

Eusis

You only use Fire Keeper Souls from your inventory when your Estus Flask is +7, at that point it can't be reinforced so they're spare humanity items instead.

knitoe

IrishNinja said:
wait wait, Knight's Armor trophy checklist on the wiki says i need the Dark Hand, from 3rd rank (give 80 humanity) to the dark wraith covenant. is that right? i thought the one you got either just for joining or at rank 1 would suffice.
There's no armor trophy / achievements. There's only the weapons (Knight Honor). And, the Dark Hand isn't req for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom