• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
.GqueB. said:
I have a question here. I keep hearing about people who had issue with the final boss in Demon's Soul. Is it the same enemy that slithers around on the ground in that small little area or am I missing something here?

True King Allant
wasn't so much a "boss" in the video game sense as he was story resolution.

sleepykyo

.GqueB. said:
I have a question here. I keep hearing about people who had issue with the final boss in Demon's Soul. Is it the same enemy that slithers around on the ground in that small little area or am I missing something here?

Everyone is referring the one before the final boss. You're actually technically right that's the final boss.

Dresden

So I guess the patched version of the game is having severe online issues and Japan might be getting a patch 1.05 soon. Wonder when Scamco / MS will let the current patch go through.

scy

Dresden said:
So I guess the patched version of the game is having severe online issues and Japan might be getting a patch 1.05 soon. Wonder when Scamco / MS will let the current patch go through.

So ... just wait until 2012 for this patch, eh?

Dresden said:

Oh fer Christ's sake

Booshka

Dresden said:
Par for the course.

Mechanized said:
Getting cursed is the worst fucking thing.
Yeah, those freaking basilisks made me shelve the game for a week in frustration. Once I found the shortcut that let you skip over them I suddenly wanted to start playing again. Then the gaping dragon happened. 20 or so deaths and I am still scared shitless during this fight. Any advice?

Dresden

GrumpyAlien said:
Yeah, those freaking basilisks made me shelve the game for a week in frustration. Once I found the shortcut that let you skip over them I suddenly wanted to start playing again. Then the gaping dragon happened. 20 or so deaths and I am still scared shitless during this fight. Any advice?
He has easily recognizable patterns and stuff, but just remember - hit him when he's not moving and don't stay in front of him.

Sullichin

The biggest problem with this game is the complete lack of explanation of many mechanics.
I'm trying to get my friend into this game. He loves games, he loves a challenge, but I still have to sell him on stuff.

"No, don't go that way to the skeletons, you cant even kill them without a divine weapon."
"How do you know that?"
"The internet."

(maybe this was explained in the game, but I don't think so). For how deep the leveling system and weapon upgrading system are, there could be a fucking tutorial. At the very least, explain the scaling. And explain humanity.

Xanathus

Dresden said:
LOL in this situation it sounds as if Namco and MS/Sony's longer certification process are justified. It seems as if FROM has been pushing out half-assed untested patches, shame on them.

Dresden

Sullichin said:
(maybe this was explained in the game, but I don't think so).
The merchant dude in the Depths tells you that, actually.

But I agree, the game needs to explain some of the basic mechanics better.

Sullichin

Dresden said:
The merchant dude in the Depths tells you that, actually.

But I agree, the game needs to explain some of the basic mechanics better.

Well, then you just have to have the general RPG mindset that "I shouldn't go this way, the enemies are way stronger than me", and then eventually that guy will tell you. The depths are pretty long after the beginning of the game for a new player though. Maybe the guy who tells you about the two bells of awakening should tell you this. Idk.

GrumpyAlien said:

Not really sure how people have difficulty with this fight. All of his moves except for the tail swipe are insanely telegraphed and take forever to wind up. Just cut off the tail and swipe away at his butt. Back off whenever he flies up in the air or pukes, never go directly in front of him unless he's stuck after a slam (and back off the INSTANT he starts to get up), make sure you don't get caught in his legs, and don't let yourself be backed against a wall.

Him and Sif. After hearing all these horror stories about how hard Sif was, I beat her first try and only got hit once, and that was because I got sloppy.

Dresden said:
He has easily recognizable patterns and stuff, but just remember - hit him when he's not moving and don't stay in front of him.
The time I got him down to literally 1 more hit I got cocky and attacked from the front. Bastard chomped me to death. I think I have the patterns down, but 3/4 way through the fight I always panic and do something stupid. I think it's appearance and size actually frightens me into screwing up. can't think of many games that do that.

mattp

Sullichin said:
The biggest problem with this game is the complete lack of explanation of many mechanics.
I'm trying to get my friend into this game. He loves games, he loves a challenge, but I still have to sell him on stuff.

"No, don't go that way to the skeletons, you cant even kill them without a divine weapon."
"How do you know that?"
"The internet."

(maybe this was explained in the game, but I don't think so).
yeah but that's not true at all
if you actually go through the dungeon you find the guys you need to kill so the skeletons don't respawn. it's easily figured out if you just explore on your own

Leunam

Made it to the Crystal Caves yesterday and killed Seathe. Plummeted to my death only once but I was able to figure out where the right paths were after that.

Sullichin said:

"How do you know that?"
"The internet."

As soon as I saw the skeletons reviving in the catacombs I concluded two things:

1. I can't kill them with this weapon.
2. Maybe something else is bringing them to life.

I ran further in, saw a guy with a lantern and killed him, fought the skeletons normally and noticed they don't reassemble. Some things can be figured out on your own quite easily (like the Crystal Caves).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
GrumpyAlien said:
Don't lock on. Keep your distance from him and don't face him head on. Watch how he moves, stay patient and run in and swipe at his tail/back when you think it's safe to do so. Stay away from his front and his arms.

Futureman

Just killed the Taurus Demon, I don't see a bon fire anywhere! I thought there would be one right after a boss. All I see are groups of enemies everywhere I go.

54-46!

Futureman said:
Just killed the Taurus Demon, I don't see a bon fire anywhere! I thought there would be one right after a boss. All I see are groups of enemies everywhere I go.
It's fine, just run out on the bridge.

Futureman said:
ran out on to the bridge and a huge dragon flew by and killed everyone.
On the right where the Hollowed squad spawns, there's a stair case. Right as you get on the bridge, there's a puddle on the ground. Stand on the puddle, raise your shield, and the dragon won't kill you. As soon as you can move, SPRINT to that staircase. You should make it before the dragon comes in for round 2.

And make sure you kick the ladder before you jump down, or you'll have to take the long way again.

54-46!

Thagomizer said:
On the right where the Hollowed squad spawns, there's a stair case. Right as you get on the bridge, there's a puddle on the ground. Stand on the puddle, raise your shield, and the dragon won't kill you. As soon as you can move, SPRINT to that staircase. You should make it before the dragon comes in for round 2.
Didn't know you could do that, I just ran for it and made it in without taking a hit.

Futureman

thanks.

how do you do the quick kill from behind? I rented this a few weeks ago on Red Box and can't remember.

I have a sword I can't use. I need to upgrade a stat to use it?

what do I do now? My ax says it's about to break, or needs attention or whatever. Will it last another go at the Taurus Demon? If not, what the hell do I do? use the broken sword you start with?

how do you raise your shield, Thag?

Dresden

Thagomizer said:

And make sure you kick the ladder before you jump down, or you'll have to take the long way again.
:eek:

I always just died the first time and then hauled ass the second time.

matmanx1

Spent an hour with the creepy and macabre skeleton babies last night and netted 100k souls and about 35 humanity. Of course I immediately warped to the Abyss and gave
Kaathe
30 humanity for the full Dark Armor set. I was surprised that at least 2 pieces of the set (gloves and helm if I remember right) are lighter weight than Ornstein's while offering better protection against most damage types and can be upgraded with Twinkling Titanite to get even better. I haven't purchased all of Ornstein's set yet so I didn't compare the legs but so far I am really liking the Dark set.

Ornstein's chest piece is clearly superior and may remain so since it's getting a little buff with the patch but the Dark chest piece may actually outdo it if fully upgraded.

Anyone know if the Dark set is getting adjusted in the patch and if so, by how much?

Also, the Dark Sword looks rad and the R2 move is sweet. I wish it was a little stronger.

Futureman said:
thanks.

how do you do the quick kill from behind? I rented this a few weeks ago on Red Box and can't remember.

I have a sword I can't use. I need to upgrade a stat to use it?

what do I do now? My ax says it's about to break, or needs attention or whatever. Will it last another go at the Taurus Demon? If not, what the hell do I do? use the broken sword you start with?

how do you raise your shield, Thag?

Quick kill: hold the R1 button when you are behind them. Hitboxes change depending on the enemy, so it takes a bit of practice, and you can't backstab nonhuman enemies.

Yes, you need to have the right stats to use certain weapons. On the data screen, the numbers in red are what you need to raise that stat to to use that weapon effectively with one hand; two-handed is lower, but you lose the shield.

As for the ax, you can buy repair powder from the undead merchant. Backtrack slightly to where the two pike undead are, and there'll be a staircase hidden by some boxes. Follow that down.

You have to have a shield in your left hand. If it's equipped, press L1.

Eccocid

EH!!!
Usual knights with shields(the easy ones without capes) can use levels to open and close gates! One of them used lever and closed that big gate in front of my eyes lol!

Dyno

GrumpyAlien said:

That's where I am. He killed Solitarie, that disgusting freak. I went on to clear some other areas until I have several more levels.

Septimius

So, the patch has been out for a while in Jap, but not in the other regions. How the hell does PvP work, then? Do Jap and the rest of the world no longer play with each other, then?

EDIT: And when is it coming out here??

Dresden said:

Blah. I guess this gives me more time to mess around with the soul glitch and pillage snuggly. Still annoying.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Thagomizer said:

Holy shit, I thought the puddle was oil so I specifically avoided it.

Septimius said:
So, the patch has been out for a while in Jap, but not in the other regions. How the hell does PvP work, then? Do Jap and the rest of the world no longer play with each other, then?

Yeah, it splits the community basically. People with the patch can only play with people on the same version.

Septimius said:
EDIT: And when is it coming out here??

No word at all yet :(

xero273

Septimius said:

yes the japanese can only play with ppl with the japanese version...sort of since 1.04 seems to have online issues

Aselith

Sullichin said:

"How do you know that?"
"The internet."

(maybe this was explained in the game, but I don't think so). For how deep the leveling system and weapon upgrading system are, there could be a fucking tutorial. At the very least, explain the scaling. And explain humanity.
That's actually not true. You can kill them with anything if you kill the necromancer first and the skellies in the graveyard don't have a necro.

Eccocid said:
Did i miss some info...Can you carry unlimited amount of armor and weapons? Can't see any limit for it so far and i have like 23074092472930 swords on me..

There is a limit of 1,938 items that you can carry & then you become over encumbered.

I'm not making that up either, that number is in the guide.

sixghost

I need some advice for my last couple levels before I stop.

My current stuff
SL108
VIT 38
ATT 12
END 41
STR 16
DEX 14
RES 11
INT 8
FAI 50

I was thinking about getting my STR up to 34 to 2hand the Grant, since it's supposed to switch to STR/FAI scaling with the patch, then maybe adding 2-3 more points to ATT to get 3 slots.

That would put me at SL129. Would that put me outside the range of the more active PvE co-op levels?

Or would I be better off getting VIT to 40, then putting 10 or 11 points in ATT to get 6 spell slots?

Septimius

I was thinking about not starting NG+ before the patch was out, because then I could buy the Master Key before starting anew. Seems like it might take some time, and I might not be able to utilize the Snuggly glitch if I wait, since I can't get more Twinkling this playthrough.

I want to make this build, too:

VIT: 40
ATT: 15(?)
END: 40
STR: 8?
DEX: 40
RES: 8 (useless stat)
INT: 40
FAI: 8 (12 for heal?)

Should come out at around SL 120. I pretty much want to stick with Katanas with this build, but instead go +15 Normal and use Crystal Enhanced Sword to really dish out some damage.

See You Next Wednesday said:
lol they can even open & close doors as well,

I always laugh when they CLOSE doors infront of me.

I'm confused by the comments that upgraded armor is better than the special non-upgradeable armors. I want to use heavy armor with super high physical defense for this area. I've got Havel's Armor, Stone Armor, and Black Iron Armor already, so I figured I'd try to upgrade something else to be even better. The heaviest armor I've got that can be upgraded with Titanite Shards is Elite Knight Armor, but after bringing it up to +4 it's still nowhere near as good as those special armors. Am I missing something?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh man. Finally got the final end of the Siegmeyer/Sieglinde sub-story...

Fantastic stuff. Love the ambiguity of it all.

TommyT

Dresden said:
:eek:

I always just died the first time and then hauled ass the second time.

Pretty sure the only variants on the damage depend on where you're standing. Middle of the bridge = large damage. Near the walls of the bridge = less damage.

Thagomizer said:
Not really sure how people have difficulty with this fight. All of his moves except for the tail swipe are insanely telegraphed and take forever to wind up. Just cut off the tail and swipe away at his butt. Back off whenever he flies up in the air or pukes, never go directly in front of him unless he's stuck after a slam (and back off the INSTANT he starts to get up), make sure you don't get caught in his legs, and don't let yourself be backed against a wall.

Him and Sif. After hearing all these horror stories about how hard Sif was, I beat her first try and only got hit once, and that was because I got sloppy.

My biggest issue with that fight was keeping Solare alive. He runs into that right super reckless and usually gets himself killed pretty fast.

Alright I give up

I said I won't check any of the Dark Souls threads until I finish my 1st playthrough but fuck it

Did I miss a giant red button in the game that turns the Tomb of Giants to it's "fuck you" mode instead of "fuck you and your family, ancestry and everyone and everything you ever loved" ?

Seriously how in the fuck I'm supposed to know where should I go, how to tactically maneuver around those giant assholes when I can't see shit past my nose.

I loved Demon's Souls and I'm loving Dark souls but this level/area is straight up retarded "yeah let's take away everything you learned in the past two games and throw it outside the window, oh and as an added bonus let's give these giant fucks fast powerful attacks that drain your stamina but also give them fast recovery so there is no way to punish them BRILLIANT !!"

Oh and I'm at the bonfire beneath Patches cousin, so as far as I can tell (which isn't much) there's no way for me to get out of this shithole

TheThunder said:
Alright I give up

I said I won't check any of the Dark Souls threads until I finish my 1st playthrough but fuck it

Did I miss a giant red button in the game that turns the Tomb of Giants to it's "fuck you" mode instead of "fuck you and your family, ancestry and everyone and everything you ever loved" ?

Seriously how in the fuck I'm supposed to know where should I go, how to tactically maneuver around those giant assholes when I can't see shit past my nose.

I loved Demon's Souls and I'm loving Dark souls but this level/area is straight up retarded "yeah let's take away everything you learned in the past two games and throw it outside the window, oh and as an added bonus let's give these giant fucks fast powerful attacks that drain your stamina but also give them fast recovery so there is no way to punish them BRILLIANT !!"

Oh and I'm at the bonfire beneath Patches cousin, so as far as I can tell (which isn't much) there's no way for me to get out of this shithole
Did you pick up the lantern down in Patches' pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom