• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

tokkun said:
Domnhall will tell you after you spend like 50K souls at his shop. Is this what you were talking about? Not exactly easy to find.

I definitely never found this information out from the game in my playthrough, it can definitely be missed easily.

I also conceded that it wasn't the best example of the game not explaining mechanics. Just an example showing that it's tough to sell your friends on the greatness of this game.

The blacksmith told me I would want divine weapons for the catacombs, but then again so did common sense. Where else would you need them?

Despite that, I never noticed they prevent skeletons from resurrecting. All I noticed was that divine weapons did shit damage with my build, and proceeded to beat the catacombs without using one.

Fullmetal-GTO said:
The way I fight him... There are some rock pillars in the room. Try to keep one of those between you and Gwyn. Stay as close to it as possible. You'll hardly receive any damage because he hits the rocks, and only attack him when his guard is down... Like when he does the grab attack.

Good luck!

Already beat him, mate, but thanks! Yeah I was trying to use the rocks during my death marathon. I think I wasn't close to them enough. Thanks. Knowledge for NG++ that I've just begun!

scy

Sullichin said:
But if the skeletons in the graveyard (which is where he was), dont have a necromancer, you'd need a divine weapon to keep them down right?

They don't revive at all so you don't need anything special for them. On the bright side, they (and New Londo Ghosts) gives souls in 1.04. Whenever we actually get that.

Told him not to focus on leveling resistance because it's pretty useless.

I half think it's there because they wanted 8 stats and couldn't figure out what put there over Luck :/

Told him about the weapon detail screen and how scaling works (would it really have been so hard, the first time you pick up a weapon, for the game to go into the menu and explain the different screens / what matters - it's really not obvious at all).

The game actually explains all of it optionally via the Select button if I recall. It doesn't say much but at least it explains most of the stats (or at least which symbols are which stats). Scaling is pretty straight-forward though; better letter grade, better scaling ... but I guess I'm just math oriented so it was pretty obvious for me.

turns out stability is the most important thing about a shield, but the numbers it gives you by default are for the attack power? dumb.

Yeah I don't get the Shield Attack power listing, honestly. It seems mostly out of laziness due to Shields being considered "Weapons."

Haunted said:
Probably was the same guy!

Dark Souls has the same amount of shitty but easily fixable design decisions as its predecessor. Almost infuriating how close From has come twice now to creating a masterpiece, yet fallen painfully short because of shit design decisions.
Totally OT, but can someone explain why we have these avatars? I have searched and can't figure it out...

Minamu

Yo Gotti said:
Gwyn's armor is pretty much for show as far as I can tell. I haven't messed with it much so I'm not sure if it can be upgraded.

Go for Ornsteins armor. Medium weight, high Phys protection, decent resistances.
Damnit I killed Smough second :( I should probably farm some humanity and fix my bonfires instead :S Pretty much the only thing I have left I think.

TommyT

:lol at all this talk with the skeletons, how to kill them, and the game being obscure with information...

Fong Ghoul said:
Totally OT, but can someone explain why we have these avatars? I have searched and can't figure it out...

huh? Explain why GAF has avatars?

TommyT said:
huh? Explain why GAF has avatars?
LOL sorry - my avatar is (for me) a picture of a guy wearing a crown. I didn't set it that way (and my profile shows the one I chose). Never seen this pic before.

I happened to notice that Haunted had the same one. Figuring I missed something.

Edit: back to normal now. That was weird.

The reason why I went down to the Skeleton land in the first place was because everything else was closed for me. Anor Lando/Orange gate sealed by the lord, Demon's Ruins/Orange gate sealed by the lord, New Lando/ ran into a dead end with levers stuck by some contraption, Valley of Drakes/ killed couple of the drakes guarding that giant gate (which apparently leads to New Lando) but couldn't open the gates.

Now after finally clearing the entire Giant Tomb and going to the bottom, another orange gate...

Is there some area that I completely missed which I need to kill an important boss or pick up something so I can finally open these things ?

EasyMode

TheThunder said:
The reason why I went down to the Skeleton land in the first place was because everything else was closed for me. Anor Lando/Orange gate sealed by the lord, Demon's Ruins/Orange gate sealed by the lord, New Lando/ ran into a dead end with levers stuck by some contraption, Valley of Drakes/ killed couple of the drakes guarding that giant gate (which apparently leads to New Lando) but couldn't open the gates.

Now after finally clearing the entire Giant Tomb and going to the bottom, another orange gate...

Is there some area that I completely missed which I need to kill an important boss or pick up something so I can finally open these things ?
Have you beaten Anor Londo and obtained the
Lord Vessel by beating Ornstien and Smough
? If so, talk to
Frampt, the serpent dude
at Firelink Shrine.

Yo Gotti

Banned
EasyMode said:
? If so, talk to
Frampt, the serpent dude
at Firelink Shrine.

OR you could beat
New Londo ruins, and kill the 4 Kings there.
For the alternate ending.

theta11

TheThunder said:

You need to place the Lordvessel by either talking Kingseeker Frampt or going into New Londo Ruins and besting the Four Kings and talking to Darkstalker Kaathe.

Aselith

Sullichin said:
I know you can kill them if you kill the necromancer.

But if the skeletons in the graveyard (which is where he was), dont have a necromancer, you'd need a divine weapon to keep them down right?

Anyway, I realize that might not be the best example of the game not explaining stuff well, it's just what came to mind at first because my friend was like "this game is stupid hard these skeletons are destroying me."

The next way he tried to go was New Londo ruins. :lol

But i also had to warn him to not pick the Tiny Ring because of the translation error.
Told him not to focus on leveling resistance because it's pretty useless.
Told him about the weapon detail screen and how scaling works (would it really have been so hard, the first time you pick up a weapon, for the game to go into the menu and explain the different screens / what matters - it's really not obvious at all).
turns out stability is the most important thing about a shield, but the numbers it gives you by default are for the attack power? dumb.
How do you know there's a stamina regen penalty for some armor? is it in the item description?

The only thing I remember the game explaining was when I got cursed. And I thought it was out of place because I don't remember any other explanatory text like that :p
Let me ask you something...why do you need to know that? That's all min maxer shit. Just equip yourself with what you think is best and you'll be fine.

Odrion

Banned
So, beaten the game a few days ago. About a 54 hour playthrough. I guess I could talk about my opinions from my experience with it.

For the longest time, it felt like every hour or so I would think to myself "Why would anyone do this?!" Sometimes in wonder, sometimes in complete anger. It's great to play a game where you can feel the personality of the developers reverberate in almost everything - the surreal environments (it felt like they built the kingdom in the remnants of an earthquake, and then they had another earthquake), the macabre theme, the countless booby traps that would kill me (and I would always think "if my reflexes were just a little quicker"), the near-to-instant death mechanics I would discover certain enemies having. Every time I'd discover a pathway in a new land that led back to familiar territory there was a odd feeling of nostalgia that overcame me, that I couldn't really trace back to any singular game, perhaps it was just something deep inside me remembering how the good ol' days were.

But eventually, when you get the Lordvessel and gain the ability to teleport, those feelings kinda slowly evaporated. It felt like it got to the point where I managed to figure out the game, and it stopped feeling like a game where I had to meet it on it's own terms.

Right before finishing Anor Londo I realized that allocating stats in a "hybrid" manner, due to how elemental weapons and pyromancy worked, was a dumb decision, and that if I wasn't purely into strength, dexterity, or int, I was basically wasting those stats. So I went to Darkroot Basin, spent about a half hour farming, and gained about ten levels which used to get my Int to 40. From there, it got stupid easy. Homing Soulmass made destroying enemies fairly easy, then I got the crystal version and jesus fucking christ. What should of been the hardest areas of the game became trivial, I was walking up to enemies that should've felt like terrifying dances of death and one shotting them. Then I fought the final boss and killed him in three hits. Then
I was treated to an unsatisfying ten second ending, for all my work, a ten second ending that may of just been "YOU WON."

It also didn't help that the final areas (outside of the fantastic Duke's Archive) weren't all that great either.
Tomb of the Giants felt kinda like a throwback to the old King's Field games, but didn't really hold a candle to the areas before it (because really, you're in a lightless cave.) And Lost Izalith felt very rushed, what with the low framerate, enemies that had no animated frames, and the thousands of copy-paste dragon asses you had to kill.
And at this point of the game, the whole feeling of a interconnected world is rather gone.

And I guess the game should've tried a little more at giving you some more information in the beginning. They could've given that Crestfallen Knight some more "hints" on what you could explore next. Yeah, yeah, "No hand holding!" But it seemed like at every other point of the game but
after the first bell
you had a clear idea where to go next. Not to mention the plethora of mechanics that simply go unexplained.

I guess that was more bitching than anything, and I'm sorry, I guess it's because the later parts of the game are still fresh. But overall it was a very awesome and refreshing experience. It isn't perfect, and I'm excited to see them improve upon it. Heck, I'm excited to see whatever From Software does next. Armored Core V? Hell yeah.

I guess if I were to give some score to my whole experience, it would be a strong 4/5.

Beats

tokkun said:
Domnhall will tell you after you spend like 50K souls at his shop. Is this what you were talking about? Not exactly easy to find.

Huh? He pretty much told me straight up the first time I "talked" to him in the Depths in both the playthroughs that I did. I didn't buy a single thing from him until later.

scosher

TheThunder said:

Go back to Anor Londo. Take that lift down to the bridge with the two gargoyles (non-respawning). To the left of the bottom of the lift, you'll see a lower ledge, and a beam/railing that takes you to the chapel. I'm willing to bet you missed that and thought Anor Londo was a dead end.

EasyMode said:
? If so, talk to
Frampt, the serpent dude
at Firelink Shrine.
Where do I find these guys ?

I went to Anor lando, beat a couple of the big statues, found a fire keeper, killed another gargoyle and ran into an orange gate that I can't pass

Edit:
scosher said:
Go back to Anor Londo. Take that lift down to the bridge with the two gargoyles (non-respawning). To the left of the bottom of the lift, you'll see a lower ledge, and a beam/railing that takes you to the chapel. I'm willing to bet you missed that and thought Anor Londo was a dead end.
oh... totally missed that

Now to the painful journey out of this skeleton land

.GqueB.

Banned
Zzoram said:
upgrade your stuff
kindle all bonfires to 20 estus
buy boss armor/spells you want
I never do this for some bizarre reason. Ive only kindled one bonfire my entire game. I just finished Sen's fortress (just to give you an idea of where I am in the game) and Ive been surviving on 5 flasks setups all this time, lol.

Dresden

.GqueB. said:
I never do this for some bizarre reason. Ive only kindled one bonfire my entire game. I just finished Sen's fortress (just to give you an idea of where I am in the game) and Ive been surviving on 5 flasks setups all this time, lol.
20 is overkill, usually. I usually don't dip below 18 flasks.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Well, looks like I've hit a wall for now. Orstein & Smough keep beating me down. I did take down one of them and had only the fat dude to deal with but he took me out as I was too slow/armored up to outmaneuver him. I'm pure melee and so far have been using the special attack of the Dragon King Great Axe when I get close--that's how I was able to take out lightning dude one time and fast.

I actually stopped trying and ended up stumbling upon Gwyndolyn not realizing crossing the fog barrier automatically took you to fight him--this after joining his covenant--and had to beat him and am now an eternal sinner. Did I just mess up my ending!??

I am confused about-- in a story sense-- Human vs. Undead vs. Hollow. Spoilery questions:

1) Is the term "human" the same as "undead" in the current state of the game world? Like when you reverse hollowing at a bonfire it says that you become human, but does this just mean you are back to undead and there is no ascending above that for the average Joe?

2) Did Gwyn linking the flame turn everyone in the world from human to undead? Trying to get this!

3) Is everyone you talk to in the game "undead?" (sort of answered by 1 and 2)

4) I gather that hollow is like an advanced form of undead-- but what makes people go undead to hollow? I know in terms of gameplay you die to go hollow, but in the story events it seems more like "going crazy" or "losing your mind."

Minamu

.GqueB. said:
At this point, it's mre likely you can only do each bonfire to +10, not 20, because you need a special story item for that.

.GqueB.

Banned
Minamu said:
At this point, it's mre likely you can only do each bonfire to +10, not 20, because you need a special story item for that.
Ah thats good to know. I'll probably go around doing that tonight. Funny thing is, its never occurred to me to actually kindle to bonfires. Instead, I waste an attunement slot on having heal on me at all times. I pretty much forgot I could actually kindle. What a waste. Now I need some damned humanity...

le sigh...

MomoPufflet said:
I am confused about-- in a story sense-- Human vs. Undead vs. Hollow. Spoilery questions:

1) Is the term "human" the same as "undead" in the current state of the game world? Like when you reverse hollowing at a bonfire it says that you become human, but does this just mean you are back to undead and there is no ascending above that for the average Joe?

2) Did Gwyn linking the flame turn everyone in the world from human to undead? Trying to get this!

3) Is everyone you talk to in the game "undead?"

4) I gather that hollow is like an advanced form of undead-- but what makes people go undead to hollow? I know in terms of gameplay you die to go hollow, but in the story events it seems more like "going crazy" or "losing your mind."

1. Undead/Darksign bearers is a curse. Lordran, where the game takes place, is almost completely undead, so it's a bit confusing. There are other countries that send people who become undead to Lordran in exile.

2. No, those are totally separate events.

3. For the most part. There are a few exceptions, but nearly everyone you talk (and fight) to either undead or a God.

4. The exact mechanics are never fully explained and seem rather arbitrary- it's implied that dying too much eventually turns you hollow, but the player character never does, likely do to a particular piece of Phlebotonim that is a major twist in the story.

Yo Gotti said:
OR you could beat
New Londo ruins, and kill the 4 Kings there.
For the alternate ending.

How is ANYONE supposed to figure that out? After obtain the lord vessel, the princess tells to to go to Frampt, who immediately takes you away.
The alternative is to go through a level not necessarily part of you next location, beat the bosses there & then find a new NPC.

Stuff like this people can miss even playing through multiple times.

mattp

See You Next Wednesday said:
How is ANYONE supposed to figure that out? After obtain the lord vessel, the princess tells to to go to Frampt, who immediately takes you away.
The alternative is to go through a level not necessarily part of you next location, beat the bosses there & then find a new NPC.

how is anyone supposed to find the upside down castle(and second of half) sotn?

That's the point. Why are we expected to find every single secret in a game? I like it when games have really obscure stuff, especially ones with NG+ stuff.

So what's your favorite armor set / piece in the game? Looks wise.

I kinda got attached to the Helm of the Wise since I used it for such a long period of time that I started to identify it as the looks of my character. Felt really weird to change.

Now I can't imagine myself without the Mask of the Child.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Odrion said:
And I guess the game should've tried a little more at giving you some more information in the beginning. They could've given that Crestfallen Knight some more "hints" on what you could explore next. Yeah, yeah, "No hand holding!" But it seemed like at every other point of the game but
after the first bell
you had a clear idea where to go next. Not to mention the plethora of mechanics that simply go unexplained.

I guess that was more bitching than anything, and I'm sorry, I guess it's because the later parts of the game are still fresh. But overall it was a very awesome and refreshing experience. It isn't perfect, and I'm excited to see them improve upon it. Heck, I'm excited to see whatever From Software does next. Armored Core V? Hell yeah.

As I recall,
Mopey McFirelink does give you a bit of direction in terms of what to do after the first bell. When you first talk to him he'll tell there's one bell up above in the Parish and one bell down below in Blighttown, then if you talk to him after ringing the first bell he's got a piece of dialogue where he basically tells you he would never set foot in Blighttown for love or money, so good luck, sucker. Of course, he basically leaves the Depths out of the explanation entirely.

I do agree that the game could stand to have the NPCs be more forthcoming in terms of explaining things in general, though. Making you go as far as Andre or Domhnall to find out about the whole "9 out of 10 clerics agree, you want a divine weapon for the Catacombs!" thing when the area is immediately accessible and it would be entirely thematically appropriate for it to be explained by Petrus just seems a bit unreasonable.

And your assessment of the end is pretty close to the one I had right after I finished and the final areas were still fresh in my mind. But then I started a new character who's about to enter NG+++, so apparently I didn't really mean it.

TommyT

Jeez man... Have you never played a game like this before? It's not the games fault you aren't tedious.

The ending has 0 to do with which serpent you talk to. It only matters what you do once you beat the boss.

Yo Gotti

Banned
MomoPufflet said:

3) Is everyone you talk to in the game "undead?"

I think that everyone you meet in the game world besides Seigmeyers daughter and Gwyndolin is Undead. In other parts of the world people are human, but some of them are cursed with the Darksign and end up going Undead after they die. It seems like it's some kind of immortal curse for the victims, and they're hoarded and shipped off to the Undead Asylum to wait for the "End of the world". Whatever that entails.

Going Hollow seems to be the point where the Undead completely lose their humanity and with that, lose their mind. There are theories as to why the player character never loses their mind while others do, not sure if you've beaten the game yet so you might not want to read the next part.

Not everyone in the world is Undead. It's debatable whether Gwyn linking the fire is the cause of the Darksign, or whether the player characters ancestor, the Pygmy is the original cause of the Darksign. It's been theorized that every Undead character in the game is somehow a descendant of the Furtive Pgymy that's introduced in the very beginning of the game, with your character being the "Chosen Undead", or the one Undead who carries the Pgymy's Dark Soul. Something like that, details of the story are largely still up to interpretation.

bob_arctor said:
Well, looks like I've hit a wall for now. Orstein & Smough keep beating me down. I did take down one of them and had only the fat dude to deal with but he took me out as I was too slow/armored up to outmaneuver him. I'm pure melee and so far have been using the special attack of the Dragon King Great Axe when I get close--that's how I was able to take out lightning dude one time and fast.

I actually stopped trying and ended up stumbling upon Gwyndolyn not realizing crossing the fog barrier automatically took you to fight him--this after joining his covenant--and had to beat him and am now an eternal sinner. Did I just mess up my ending!??

How did you get to Gwyndolyn? I thought you needed to beat S&O to advance anywhere else in the story line quest.

Also turn human & summon people for the boss fight. It becomes easier when the bosses attention are split.

EasyMode

Misterinenja said:
For light armor I love the look of Shadow Mask + Black Cleric outfit. Too bad the stats are kinda underwhelming, even fully upgraded. For heavier armor, Ornstein's runs away with it.

Beats

Misterinenja said:

I kinda got attached to the Helm of the Wise since I used it for such a long period of time that I started to identify it as the looks of my character. Felt really weird to change.

My favorite helms are the masks. I pretty much just wear Ornstein's set, and any of the masks depending on the situation.

scosher

Misterinenja said:

Silver Knight Armor with either Wanderer's/Thief's Hood or Dark Mask.

Character update time!

Name: Yasmena
Game: NG++
Level: 181

GKAka.jpg

Covenant: Darkmoon Blade

Gdotk.jpg

Vitality: 40
Attunenment: 12
Endurance: 43
Strength: 40
Dexterity: 50
Resistance: 50
Faith: 18

HqncL.jpg

R Weapon 1: Black Knight Halberd +5
R Weapon 2: Lightning Uchigatana +5
Shield: Black Knight Shield +3

Head: None or Sunlight Maggott
Body: Armor of Thorns +2
Legs: Gold Hemmed
Arms: Gold Hemmed

Ring1: Dark Wood Grain Ring
Ring2: Variable

.GqueB.

Banned
Im having a helluva time trying to decide what armor set to level up while still maintaining the bad ass look I have going on. Is the hard leather set worth leveling up? Or should I up my endurance so I can be quick in the Elite knight set and level that up? But isnt that getting nerfed?

HELP GAF! ARTEA fgkrsgsklfgs gsa *melts*

Booshka

.GqueB. said:
Im having a helluva time trying to decide what armor set to level up while still maintaining the bad ass look I have going on. Is the hard leather set worth leveling up? Or should I up my endurance so I can be quick in the Elite knight set and level that up? But isnt that getting nerfed?

HELP GAF! ARTEA fgkrsgsklfgs gsa *melts*
I'm using a mixture with the Elite Knight gear and Hard Leather Gauntlets, I have the Elite Knight Armor and Leggings upgraded, Hard Leather Gauntlets upgraded, and then I swap around helms, but the Elite Knight Helm pushes the poise to the 40 threshold. I heard the poise is getting nerfed, but the defense is still really high for a medium armor if you upgrade those pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom