• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Come on! It's soon Saturday, when are we moving to Community :D?!

tokkun

ixix said:
Are you using the Ring or the Orb? Ring invasions can be brutal because you're often fighting dedicated PvP builds who are just chillin' and waiting for invaders. But if you're using the Ring,
up to three Darkmoon invaders can be active at once. If you're outnumbered when you spawn you can go into hiding until you get some allies. And if a Darkwraith invades too, all the better.

I'm using the Ring. The orb has only worked twice for me ever and I don't have the patience. I don't mind losing to PvP builds (although fighting Claymore/Zweihander users is getting annoying) but the disconnects and cheese tactics are awfully irritating.

Zimbardo said:
anyone know if Greater Lightning Spear (Miracle) is decent to use against bosses?

does it hit for good damage against them or is it just a waste of a slot?

btw, my 'faith' stat is around 47 at the moment. using the ivory talisman.

It is GREAT against Seath, even at my New Game (5 pluses)...=p I tend to just use the 'medium' one though, and a Lightning weapon. Shame of it is, you cannot seem to gt more (which if I could, I would get 40 against that stupid Dragon and wipe him out =p)

As for a tailsman, I like the Darkmoon one, or Solarie's one (just because his looks cooler =p)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

We're in Community, guys :D Enjoy!

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So we're gentrifying Community now. I've already got my eye on a few pieces of prime real estate to pick up for pennies on the dollar once the rising property taxes force out some of the hoi polloi.

tokkun said:
I'm using the Ring. The orb has only worked twice for me ever and I don't have the patience. I don't mind losing to PvP builds (although fighting Claymore/Zweihander users is getting annoying) but the disconnects and cheese tactics are awfully irritating.

I'm surprised you're having so much trouble with disconnects. Whenever I invade with the ring it's pretty much always one of two situations: dedicated PvP-ers who want to fight or people who don't know what's going on and are all like "oh god how did these blue phantoms get here I am not good with pvp."

The former doesn't disconnect because it defeats the whole purpose, the latter doesn't disconnect because they don't understand what's going on. I think I've only had about two disconnects in about thirty ring invasions, and I'm pretty much absolutely certain that one of them was a legit connectivity issue and not my opponent pulling the plug. Mainly because I was losing when it happened.

And after seeing your edit...

tokkun said:
Edit: Just hit a new low in PvP. 2-player team where the white phantom bows and the other guy - who is cloaked and using magic shield exploit - attacks with Crystal Soul Spear if you return the bow.

I gotta admit that, as much as this is utterly craven and the absolute nadir of sportsmanship, I can't help but laugh at the sheer gall of doing something like this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Saren is Bad said:
So on my first attempt at Orstein and Smough, killed Ornstein and got fucking Smough to 1/4 health and then died. What are some tips on Smough 1 on 1, specifically his AoE lightning attack?
From countless attempts, stay close. That stops him using his running attack. Then mostly just stay close and dodge/block when he attacks. Only time you need to back well off is the lightning attack. That is telegraphed with him doing a blank a style squat/build up of charge, so just run away at that point

ixix

corrosivefrost said:
What talisman do they have equipped... I don't know that I've ever seen that one.

It's Solaire's, just like their shield.

2AdEPT

RadicalRad said:
So how important are these forest guys? I've been debating rerolling anyways. May be the breaking point heh.
YOu can easily repair the forest covenant anytime as alvina didn't die she just left and mocked you at your attempt to kill her.........by
paying a large amount of souls to the preist in the gargoyle tower..usually around 100K. I've done it a couple times for one character as I wanted to kill the henchmen first, then rejoined later. Using the souls glitch is OK for this type of situation so don't feel guilty...
I am next to certain that the "glitch" may not have been a glitch at all....too complex to move like that by accident.

def sim

tokkun said:
Edit: Just hit a new low in PvP. 2-player team where the white phantom bows and the other guy - who is cloaked and using magic shield exploit - attacks with Crystal Soul Spear if you return the bow.

I'm for this kind of stuff. Not every match has to be some role playing thing, I'd like to do some silly cat & mouse wily stuff if possible. I totally soul spear dudes who invade me and bow while I'm trying to do single player stuff, because screw that I'm busy.

ixix

2AdEPT said:
YOu can easily repair the forest covenant anytime as alvina didn't die she just left and mocked you at your attempt to kill her.........by
paying a large amount of souls to the preist in the gargoyle tower..usually around 100K. I've done it a couple times for one character as I wanted to kill the henchmen first, then rejoined later. Using the souls glitch is OK for this type of situation so don't feel guilty...
I am next to certain that the "glitch" may not have been a glitch at all....too complex to move like that by accident.

It's definitely a glitch. The item duplication glitch and the infinite spell glitch are both variations on the same animation-cancelling glitch, which is fixed in 1.04 so neither works anymore. Considering the glitch is the source of an enormous number of PvP problems, including the Stone Greatsword instant death aura and the infinite invincibility exploit, there is no way it was intentional.

MoxManiac

Hey guys, any tips on cutting off the tail of taurus demon in NG+? Weapon or gear suggestions? It looks like i'm visibly hitting the tail but it's not coming off. Does it come off mid-battle or afterwards? Need help here!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Not sure if posted but I got a confirmation email from a local online book site saying the hardback version of the Official Strategy Guide would be available again from the distributors come mid Nov.

Dresden

Gen X said:
Not sure if posted but I got a confirmation email from a local online book site saying the hardback version of the Official Strategy Guide would be available again from the distributors come mid Nov.
Poor FuturePress.

MoxManiac said:
Hey guys, any tips on cutting off the tail of taurus demon in NG+? Weapon or gear suggestions? It looks like i'm visibly hitting the tail but it's not coming off. Does it come off mid-battle or afterwards? Need help here!

LOOOOOOOLLL Somebody trolled you hard.

2AdEPT

TommyT said:
gogo ninja flip ring! It really makes playing as melee MUCH better/more fun!
Is it just me or does your run speed also improve? I have a full set of Ornstein/ HAvel accessoried armour combo and am barely under 50 % but I appear to be flipping around and RUNNING as fast as if I were under 25%....took off havel's ring when previously it was on for rollign the whole time as it appeared redundant to bother......perhaps You run twice as fast as normal if you wear the ring plus are below 25%?

Aw, sweet. Community time! Maybe this game will make me subscribe to a Community-thread on GAF for the first time, once the patch hits and hopefully fixes the Online features. Would love to tackle bosses with people from GAF, along with some PvP!

tokkun

ixix said:
I'm surprised you're having so much trouble with disconnects. Whenever I invade with the ring it's pretty much always one of two situations: dedicated PvP-ers who want to fight or people who don't know what's going on and are all like "oh god how did these blue phantoms get here I am not good with pvp."

The former doesn't disconnect because it defeats the whole purpose, the latter doesn't disconnect because they don't understand what's going on. I think I've only had about two disconnects in about thirty ring invasions, and I'm pretty much absolutely certain that one of them was a legit connectivity issue and not my opponent pulling the plug. Mainly because I was losing when it happened.

I don't think these people are using the Black Crystal, I think it's a case of legitimate connection issues or times where another black phantom kills the host between the time you start loading and when you actually invade. Though, I do not seem to encounter the same problems when I'm using the Cat covenant.

rance said:
I'm for this kind of stuff. Not every match has to be some role playing thing, I'd like to do some silly cat & mouse wily stuff if possible. I totally soul spear dudes who invade me and bow while I'm trying to do single player stuff, because screw that I'm busy.

If I invade as a Darkwraith, I'm not going to complain about any tactics the other guy uses. But people in human form in Dark Anor Londo are there for PvP. And while the bow stuff is a complete griefer move, I could deal with it if they didn't also resort to the invincibility glitch.

2AdEPT

ixix said:
It's definitely a glitch. The item duplication glitch and the infinite spell glitch are both variations on the same animation-cancelling glitch, which is fixed in 1.04 so neither works anymore. Considering the glitch is the source of an enormous number of PvP problems, including the Stone Greatsword instant death aura and the infinite invincibility exploit, there is no way it was intentional.
I admiot its a longshot, but there probably were a lot of haters that actually played through and recommended to friends when normally they would have tossed the game, rage quit etc. so in actuality they will likely end up with more users as a result as us hard cores are not going to quit the game becuase of this temporary glitch and will patiently await a patch...this was all potentially predicitable from a marketing perspective....now I feel I might have to get another guide as the stats won'tbe the same....I hope they consider sending a free amendment insert or at least a coded page for those that will not have an authentic guide anymore.

RyanDG

Septimius said:
Really don't want to offend your build here, but Resistance is the worst stat in the game.

To be fair though - if you aren't looking at staying under 120 for PVP purposes - once you get your stats up to level 40-50 ish in other categories, resistance can provide a solid bit of bang for your buck. Considering the character is 181 and has Dex/Str/End/Vit all at the 40-50 levels, packing some points in resistance isn't a bad idea at all.

Anything under SL 120 though I do agree with you, resistance's benefits are negligible compared to where you could be putting stats.

Augemitbutter said:
and he's a
fog ring user. you won't notice him right away.

If he attacked and killed Shiva and didn't deal with the ninja, odds are the ninja fell off a cliff in the forest and he won't be finding that ring this playthrough most likely. (The reasoning here being that the ninja would aggro and attack him with Shiva as soon as one of them started fighting you; it works the other way, I can assure you... I killed the ninja first and Shiva came looking for me.)

Eccocid

Shit. Capra demon is the cheapest boss i have ever seen in both games. I entered to boss area and just one shotted without knowing or seeing anything. such a fast enemy on a very small area is so silly. Healing with flasks takes too much time and i can't survive there for more than 10 secs this is annoying after trying for like 10 times.

So i tried to summon ppl for help but no avail. Is this game dead already? No one summons me either. I am sl 25 i think but sometimes it feels like i am playing this offline ;_;

Eccocid said:
Shit. Capra demon is the cheapest boss i have ever seen in both games. I entered to boss area and just one shotted without knowing or seeing anything. such a fast enemy on a very small area is so silly. Healing with flasks takes too much time and i can't survive there for more than 10 secs this is annoying after trying for like 10 times.

So i tried to summon ppl for help but no avail. Is this game dead already? No one summons me either. I am sl 25 i think but sometimes it feels like i am playing this offline ;_;

Roll around to the stairs on the left. Kill dogs, kite the demon around and take a swipe whenever he misses/falls.

scy

Eccocid said:

Make sure you have a 100% Physical shield as that will greatly help you just take his blows. The leaping double slash will either hit over your guard or take all your Stamina so you're better off trying to dodge it than block it. Besides that, Capra is fully blockable off a predictable pattern so the struggle of the fight is getting it down to him.

At the start of the fight, try to survive the initial attack through blocking; if it's the overhead, you may just have to take it and hope for the best. Your goal is make it up the stairs and use the time the Capra gets stuck to heal up. Kill a dog if you can here but don't expose yourself for no reason. Once Capra makes it up, jump down and try to kill a dog that follows; once Capra makes it down, repeat the process until it's just you and him. At that point, the fight isn't so bad.

Eccocid said:

Lesson 1: Get a good shield with reasonable stability.
Lesson 2: Always hold up your shield when you enter fog gates. :)

Wallachia

Eccocid said:

Are you running NAT Type 3? That makes it harder for online..

Eccocid

Wallachia said:
Are you running NAT Type 3? That makes it harder for online..

No its Nat 2.
I had few online sessions at around bell gargoyles. Helped to some guys and summoned 2 ppl for my own fight. But then it became ghost town. Cant find any ppl to help me with Capra demon. And i put stone at gargoyles again and no one summoned me.

Strife91

So I'm level 55 and just arrived at Anor Londo. I'm finding it to be maybe a little too difficult. I'm still using drake sword and I am wearing stone armor. Should I improve my character first? I haven't defeated that wolf boss and have yet to beat New Londo Ruins. Should I do those things first?

Eccocid said:
Ok thanks for the tip lemme try again.
The best shield i have so far is spider shield which has 100 damage block.

That's pretty much what you want against him -- all of his attacks are blockable save for the two-handed swings. It makes it much easier to back up the stairs and take the dogs out if you have a shield up to block random hits. :)

Zzoram

MoxManiac said:
You can't cut his tail.

List of enemies you can cut the tail from:

Bridge dragon
Gargoyle
Gaping Dragon
Seath the Scaleless Dragon
Priscilla the halfbreed dragon
Eternal dragon covenant leader

Eccocid said:
No its Nat 2.
I had few online sessions at around bell gargoyles. Helped to some guys and summoned 2 ppl for my own fight. But then it became ghost town. Cant find any ppl to help me with Capra demon. And i put stone at gargoyles again and no one summoned me.

the japanese are playing on a seperate patched server right now, you got to factor that one in as well, at least until the patch hits worldwide. 90% of my online encounters used to be with japanese players.

Zzoram

Strife91 said:
So I'm level 55 and just arrived at Anor Londo. I'm finding it to be maybe a little too difficult. I'm still using drake sword and I am wearing stone armor. Should I improve my character first? I haven't defeated that wolf boss and have yet to beat New Londo Ruins. Should I do those things first?
New Londo ruins and the catacombs are supposed to be done after Anor Londo.

What are your stats? You will want to switch to an upgraded weapon. The drake sword gets outdated around Anor Londo.

Booshka

Zzoram said:
New Londo ruins and the catacombs are supposed to be done after Anor Londo.

What are your stats? You will want to switch to an upgraded weapon. The drake sword gets outdated around Anor Londo.
Drake sword gets outdated at blighttown imo. Upgrade just about any weapon to +10 and it will out perform it. If you have low STR/DEX, the Raw path can help and that will out do the Drake sword easily as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom