• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is Pharis' Hat any good? It bugs me how often the game's description will mention enchantments, resistances, or additional effects but not actually list them anywhere. They do the same thing with the Blood Shield as well.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
See You Next Wednesday said:
How did you get to Gwyndolyn? I thought you needed to beat S&O to advance anywhere else in the story line quest.

Also turn human & summon people for the boss fight. It becomes easier when the bosses attention are split.
It was an accident. At the 2nd bonfire room in Anor Londo, I happened to have on the Darkmoon Seance ring because I intended to wield magic. If you have it, try it and see.

Septimius

NEOPARADIGM said:
Vitality: 40
Attunenment: 12
Endurance: 43
Strength: 40
Dexterity: 50
Resistance: 50
Faith: 18

Really don't want to offend your build here, but Resistance is the worst stat in the game.

Finally got the tail off of Seath. You really need to hit the very end of the tail, even though a larger region is not affected by the crystals (which would imply that you can cut off that part as well), it's only the end that comes off.

Now to farm for the Channeler's Trident. Worst farming place ever.

Akuun said:
Is Pharis' Hat any good? It bugs me how often the game's description will mention enchantments, resistances, or additional effects but not actually list them anywhere. They do the same thing with the Blood Shield as well.

It adds +10 to swagger.

So I uh attacked an npc again... I think

I just beat the hydra and I went up the ladder to the high part of darkroot or whatever. Anyways i killed those scary dogs and made my way through this broke down tower with a bridge.

I notice a wolf hanging out a window that looked like he was gonna pounce on me and after getting jumped by those nasty black cats I decided to get the jump on this perceived threat. Anyhow I shot him and he laughed at me and poofed then i had some npcs jumped me. Did i just out myself with a group of npcs?

Also a black phantom attacked me in the area while i was busy fighting the npcs. Was this a npc black phantom that ive now missed out on?

Thanks for the help!

Zimbardo

anyone know if Greater Lightning Spear (Miracle) is decent to use against bosses?

does it hit for good damage against them or is it just a waste of a slot?

btw, my 'faith' stat is around 47 at the moment. using the ivory talisman.

Wallachia

When and where do you get the ability to warp to bonfires?

I'm at Anor Londo and thinking of taking a break to come back later. But I don't want to have to trudge down Sen's Fortress, and then back up, when I want to return to Anor Londo again. Or is that the only way, at this point?

TommyT

RadicalRad said:
So I uh attacked an npc again... I think

I just beat the hydra and I went up the ladder to the high part of darkroot or whatever. Anyways i killed those scary dogs and made my way through this broke down tower with a bridge.

I notice a wolf hanging out a window that looked like he was gonna pounce on me and after getting jumped by those nasty black cats I decided to get the jump on this perceived threat. Anyhow I shot him and he laughed at me and poofed then i had some npcs jumped me. Did i just out myself with a group of npcs?

Also a black phantom attacked me in the area while i was busy fighting the npcs. Was this a npc black phantom that ive now missed out on?

Thanks for the help!

That's the leader of the
Forest
Covenant. Before if you pissed them off you could go through absolution and have it be ok... But if you attacked the actual provider it might be a different story.

Backfoggen said:
Finally got the tail off of Seath. You really need to hit the very end of the tail, even though a larger region is not affected by the crystals (which would imply that you can cut off that part as well), it's only the end that comes off.

Now to farm for the Channeler's Trident. Worst farming place ever.

Try farming in the Duke's Archives on NG++. The archers there do a ridiculous amount of damage. That easily one of my least favorite spots in the entire game.

Wallachia said:

I'm at Anor Londo and thinking of taking a break to come back later. But I don't want to have to trudge down Sen's Fortress, and then back up, when I want to return to Anor Londo again. Or is that the only way, at this point?

You get the ability to warp after you beat the boss of Anor Londo. Stick it out and you can warp. Also, there is a shortcut you can unlock to bypass most of Sen's.

Wallachia said:

Complete the Anor Londo.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Try farming in the Duke's Archives on NG++. The archers there do a ridiculous amount of damage. That easily one of my least favorite spots in the entire game.
One of the archers got buffed and gave me a random fucking headshot that insta-killed me. It's so ridiculous it's funny.

TommyT said:
That's the leader of the
Forest
Covenant. Before if you pissed them off you could go through absolution and have it be ok... But if you attacked the actual provider it might be a different story.
Damn... I really need to stop shooting at things that look threatning before they acctually attack me.

Backfoggen said:
One of the archers got buffed and gave me a random fucking headshot that insta-killed me. It's so ridiculous it's funny.

I also swear to God those guys can slightly bend their arrow shots, too. I hate them so much.

So on my first attempt at Orstein and Smough, killed Ornstein and got fucking Smough to 1/4 health and then died. What are some tips on Smough 1 on 1, specifically his AoE lightning attack?

.GqueB.

Banned
RadicalRad said:
Damn... I really need to stop shooting at things that look threatning before they acctually attack me.
Best to try and target first. If you cant target then dont attack. I almost shot frampt because he looked like he was gonna try and eat me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The easiest way to get Seath's tail is to keep your weight down and equip the ring that changes the roll into the flip-flop. He turns fast but you can keep up with him, and the best part is that if you keep circling him, you wont get hit either.

To make things simpler just remember that he stops turning after he does his breath attack and after he does his tail flail, and also to get a good head start on this wait til he's in the center of the room before smashing the crystal, this will freeze him for a good few seconds.

Weapon-wise I recommend something with a bit of reach like a spear, because you dont want to be too close to his tail during his flail move especially if you're really close to the edges of the arena. Don't bother with aoe magic/pyromancy its too slow to be reliable.

If you want to get the weapon without finishing Seath first you need to get close to his severed tail and loot it - its actually inside it, so there's no soul flame to see.

If you're still running 1.03 just abuse magic shield and you don't need to even worry about flail.

Xanathus

Saren is Bad said:
So on my first attempt at Orstein and Smough, killed Ornstein and got fucking Smough to 1/4 health and then died. What are some tips on Smough 1 on 1, specifically his AoE lightning attack?
Try not fighting them 1 on 1, it's much much easier. You can summon an NPC to help you if you're in human form, the sign is on one of the staircases just outside the boss fog. When Super Smough jumps in the air, if you're still locked onto him and near him then your only hope is to keep backing away with your shield raised. Use a shield with high lightning resist.

RadicalRad said:
So how important are these forest guys? I've been debating rerolling anyways. May be the breaking point heh.

After 3 kills, they give you a ring that lets you be a cheap prick in multiplayer.

Xanathus

RadicalRad said:
So how important are these forest guys? I've been debating rerolling anyways. May be the breaking point heh.
Not worth restarting over, you've just lost one possible online PVP method but you would probably have hated that anyway because it's design is pretty broken.

Ristlager

Is killing the four kings optional? And should I skip it and just go to the serpent guy instead? And is there a way back after going to the serpentguy? Have not done the tomb of giants.

And who do I need to kill to open the white fog in Anor Lando?

Ristlager said:
Is killing the four kings optional? And should I skip it and just go to the serpent guy instead? And is there a way back after going to the serpentguy? Have not done the tomb of giants.

And who do I need to kill to open the white fog in Anor Lando?

Four Kings aren't optional. You can do it in whatever order you wish.

As for the white fog...Idunno, walk through it?

Xanathus said:
Not worth restarting over, you've just lost one possible online PVP method but you would probably have hated that anyway because it's design is pretty broken.
You talkin' bout foggy shenanigans?

scosher

RadicalRad said:

Pro-tip, try to lock on. You can't lock onto NPC's, so if you do lock-on, it's a hostile enemy and feel free to pummel him.

You get the Ring of Fog while in that covenant, but you can also get another Ring of Fog by trading a Sunlight Maggot helm to the crow.

The big loss is the Dark Wood Grain Ring, which you get by joining the covenant, and then killing one of their NPC's (rather, his bodyguard) that drops it. Afaik, he doesn't spawn unless you're in that covenant, so you might want to try absolution to get back in. Only to betray them again.

Ristlager

Thagomizer said:
Four Kings aren't optional. You can do it in whatever order you wish.

As for the white fog...Idunno, walk through it?
The fog says I need to kill a boss or something, is at the end of the road. I have done everything else there, also made it dark.

I thought I read something about killing the Four Kings got the alternative ending?

sleepykyo

Septimius said:
Really don't want to offend your build here, but Resistance is the worst stat in the game.

Really wish From would stop being so intent on everything being lethal. Kind of silly that the difference between a tank build and all round is only a single hit and having stat that is virtually useless in majority of situations.

Xanathus

RadicalRad said:
I'm talking about forest invasions. It's fundamentally broken because there's NO level range restrictions so either you use exploits to max your stats or you'll be fighting players who will take a sliver of damage from each hit.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Are the counters for firestorm and the firewhip glitched? Mine start at 20 and 80..

Xanathus

worldrevolution said:
Are the counters for firestorm and the firewhip glitched? Mine start at 20 and 80..
They're correct, the counters behave like firesurge. Try actually using them. Hold down the attack button.

demigod

I've been wearing the same armor for like 30 lvls now. I'm lvl 50 and most of my armor is Balder+Boar Fang Helm. What armor should I be making at this lvl?

...Ya'know what? I'm just gonna skip getting the RoF. I'm not going to use it anyway. Do you need it for an achievement? If not, I'm going to kill Shiva and his bodyguard and get out of this stupid covenant.

Also, my current set up is Ornstein set + Giant Helm. Looks so cool it hurts.

Give Fire Keeper souls to fire keepers to upgrade your flask. Lulz at wasting one on Frampt.

tokkun

.GqueB. said:
Im having a helluva time trying to decide what armor set to level up while still maintaining the bad ass look I have going on. Is the hard leather set worth leveling up? Or should I up my endurance so I can be quick in the Elite knight set and level that up? But isnt that getting nerfed?

HELP GAF! ARTEA fgkrsgsklfgs gsa *melts*

Hard Leather is pretty decent. I would go ahead and upgrade it, just don't use any slabs. It's easy to get more shards and chunks later.

tokkun

8 Invasions as Blade of the Darkmoon today

1: Doing well until I get double-teamed
2: Killed by lag teleport backstabs
3-7: Immediate disconnect after invading
8: Killed by Great Magic Shield exploit

Edit: Just hit a new low in PvP. 2-player team where the white phantom bows and the other guy - who is cloaked and using magic shield exploit - attacks with Crystal Soul Spear if you return the bow.

TommyT

Thagomizer said:
...Ya'know what? I'm just gonna skip getting the RoF. I'm not going to use it anyway. Do you need it for an achievement? If not, I'm going to kill Shiva and his bodyguard and get out of this stupid covenant.

Also, my current set up is Ornstein set + Giant Helm. Looks so cool it hurts.

Give Fire Keeper souls to fire keepers to upgrade your flask. Lulz at wasting one on Frampt.

gogo ninja flip ring! It really makes playing as melee MUCH better/more fun!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Nora Kisaragi said:
So if you eat a fire keeper soul, it kills you, yes?

What happens if you feed it to frampt?

edit: DAMN. nothing happened.

If you use a Fire Keeper Soul from the inventory it gives you 5 Humanity.
Frampt probably just became a bit more human.

tokkun said:
8 Invasions as Blade of the Darkmoon today

1: Doing well until I get double-teamed
2: Killed by lag teleport backstabs
3-7: Immediate disconnect after invading
8: Killed by Great Magic Shield exploit

Are you using the Ring or the Orb? Ring invasions can be brutal because you're often fighting dedicated PvP builds who are just chillin' and waiting for invaders. But if you're using the Ring,
up to three Darkmoon invaders can be active at once. If you're outnumbered when you spawn you can go into hiding until you get some allies. And if a Darkwraith invades too, all the better.

TommyT said:
gogo ninja flip ring! It really makes playing as melee MUCH better/more fun!

I have a guy who's TWoPing and acting like he's hot shit for killing me with it. I want to teach him a lesson first

God damn I hate this fucker NamBan get this fucking patch out on 360 already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom