• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyT

scosher said:
Uhh, no. I have both an Iaito +15 AND a Lightning Iaito +5, and the normal Iaito is a good 100 damage, not just AR, less. Unless I enchant it with CMW. This is with 40 Dex, btw.

If you're testing the same and not just theorycrafting, maybe you're testing on lightning resistant enemies (ie. skeletons)?

Fixed that so it wasn't as harsh sounding.

scosher said:
Uhh, no. I have both an Iaito +15 AND a Lightning Iaito +15, and the normal Iaito is a good 100 damage, not just AR, less. Unless I enchant it with CMW. This is with 40 Dex, btw.

If you're testing the same and not just theorycrafting, maybe you're testing on lightning resistant enemies (ie. skeletons)?

I said "around" 40 dex. my current dex is over 50, and the damage is flat out higher. I don't really know what to tell you, except the damage your +15 does will continue to go up the more you pump your dex.

it's not "theorycrafting", i'm comparing the numbers in the equipment screen. I have no idea what monsters are lightning resistant and which ones aren't, so I don't use mob damage as my criteria.

Zimbardo

so is this new patch ever coming out in north america? i mean, the wait is getting kinda ridiculous now.

sheesh. just bring the fucking thing out already.

TommyT

Zimbardo said:
so is this new patch ever coming out in north america? i mean, the wait is getting kinda ridiculous now.

sheesh. just bring the fucking thing out already.

No it's never coming out here. Why is the wait ridiculous? Bringing a patch out here isn't like it is in Japan.

Zimbardo

TommyT said:
No it's never coming out here. Why is the wait ridiculous? Bringing a patch out here isn't like it is in Japan.

seems kinda lazy to me.

when something is patched it shouldn't take weeks to come over to NA, imo.

TommyT

Zimbardo said:
seems kinda lazy to me.

when something is patched it shouldn't take weeks to come over to NA, imo.

LOL WHAT!? This just in folkes, FROM Software hates NA. :lol

wow just wow. So, in your knowledgeable opinion, why shouldn't it take this long? I'm sure you know just exactly what it takes to get a game patched here right?

Ill Saint

Zimbardo said:
As of Filthierich's latest update: "I don't have a date yet but we are currently working on the most recent version patch/update."

Zimbardo

TommyT said:

wow just wow. So, in your knowledgeable opinion, why shouldn't it take this long? I'm sure you know just exactly what it takes to get a game patched here right?

maybe you should calm down a little?

take a deep breath ...exhale.

UFRA

TommyT said:

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

TommyT

Zimbardo said:
maybe you should calm down a little?

take a deep breath ...exhale.

Thanks for answering my questions. :lol

You clearly know what you're talking about here. Especially the lazy part. Pot meet kettle.

tokkun

TommyT said:

For a game with a strong multiplayer component and global play, it is kind of ridiculous to have a couple weeks shortly after launch where two of the major play bases are cut off from each other.

Whether the solution is for Namco to release the US version faster or for From to hold off on launching the Japanese patch until the other regions are ready, either would be better than what they are doing now.

TommyT said:

You clearly know what you're talking about here. Especially the lazy part. Pot meet kettle.

straw-man.jpg

Zimbardo

TommyT said:

i don't typically reply to posts that contain juvenile 'LOL WAT!' type content.

from past experience they aren't worth the effort, but tokkun summed it up nicely.

TommyT

tokkun said:
For a game with a strong multiplayer component and global play, it is kind of ridiculous to have a couple weeks shortly after launch where two of the major play bases are cut off from each other.

Whether the solution is for Namco to release the US version faster or for From to hold off on launching the Japanese patch until the other regions are ready, either would be better than what they are doing now.

I'm not saying that splitting your online player experience is a good idea by any means. If he would have justified it saying what you did, it wouldn't as much of a hyperbole. However, to call the wait ridiculous because he thinks they're lazy is asinine. If someone gives their opinion that it shouldn't take this long, and can justify it based on knowing what it takes to patch a game in NA vs Japan then that's one thing. Which isn't going on here. :lol

Zimbardo said:
i don't typically reply to posts that contain juvenile 'LOL WAT!' type content.

from past experience they aren't worth the effort, but tokkun summed it up nicely.

The only juvenile posts (lately) have been yours. Do not kid yourself. Tokkun's reply and yours are at opposite ends of the spectrum. One, is rational. Yours is just asinine; especially since when asked on what you're basing your opinion you don't provide an answer.

Splitting the player base could be considered ridiculous. Saying the wait is ridiculous because you think they're lazy and having an uninformed opinion (which, feel free to prove me wrong by all means, and I mean that sincerely... If it's that simple then I would agree to call them lazy) is well... just as ridiculous.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
tokkun said:
No, not universally regarded.

It's all about your melee strategy. People who want to stunlock will use Claymore or Zweihander. People who want to critical will use Estoc, Rapier, or Bandit's Knife. Others may use Great Scythe or Halberd.

Katanas are great all-around weapons because they are fast, have good range, deal decent damage, and can bleed, making them very useful in PvE. In PvP, unless you have a build set up to use a strong enchantment like Darkmoon Blade / Sunlight Blade / CMW, you have play like a snake - strike quickly, then retreat.
Estoc? But from the stats screen, Estoc doesn't have any critical bonuses.

Zimbardo

TommyT said:
I'm not saying that splitting your online player experience is a good idea by any means. If he would have justified it saying what you did, it wouldn't as much of a hyperbole. However, to call the wait ridiculous because he thinks they're lazy is asinine. If someone gives their opinion that it shouldn't take this long, and can justify it based on knowing what it takes to patch a game in NA vs Japan then that's one thing. Which isn't going on here. :lol

The only juvenile posts (lately) have been yours. Do not kid yourself. Tokkun's reply and yours are at opposite ends of the spectrum. One, is rational. Yours is just asinine; especially since when asked on what you're basing your opinion you don't provide an answer.

i had no interest in replying to your post after the silly 'LOL WHAT ...listen here follow users' comments.

you acted like an ass, and i typically don't bother with flames and BS like that. the end.

TommyT

Zimbardo said:
i had no interest in replying to your post after the silly 'LOL WHAT ...listen here follow users' comments.

you acted like an ass, and i typically don't bother with flames and BS like that. the end.

:lol so you weren't expecting that to backfire on you. Got it.

Minamu said:
Oh wow, yeah that was great :D Thanks.
Np! I was making the run all the way from Firelink before through the Valley of the Drakes and it was such a pain :\

TommyT said:
:lol so you weren't expecting that to backfire on you. Got it.

Np! I was making the run all the way from Firelink before through the Valley of the Drakes and it was such a pain :\

No, it is you who is the dick.

tokkun

Akuun said:
Estoc? But from the stats screen, Estoc doesn't have any critical bonuses.

Piercing weapons have a hidden bonus to criticals. It's believed they ignore some defense when calculating crit damage. Estoc is not the absolute most powerful crit weapon, but it is better for normal fighting than the others.

TommyT

tokkun said:
Piercing weapons have a hidden bonus to criticals. It's believed they ignore some defense when calculating crit damage. Estoc is not the absolute most powerful crit weapon, but it is better for normal fighting than the others.

Are you using the hornet ring for your lowbie or the one that adds damage to piercing weapons counters (or something like that) or neither? I still haven't settled on a good ring combination yet. :\

tokkun

TommyT said:
Are you using the hornet ring for your lowbie or the one that adds damage to piercing weapons counters (or something like that) or neither? I still haven't settled on a good ring combination yet. :\

Yeah, I use +4 Fire Rapier, Hornet Ring, Dark Wood Grain. Spider Shield and Parrying Dagger in left hand. Gargoyle Helm and Armor of Thorns (for looks, not stats).

I only have 15 VIT and low poise so many characters can one or two-shot me, and I'm screwed if I miss a parry, but that just adds to the excitement.

My builds are more about having fun than min-maxing.

Akuun

tokkun said:
Hmm makes sense. My +4 lightning Estoc outdamages my normal +14 Bandit Knife for crits against some enemies, but does less than it for some other enemies. I assume the latter type of enemy is resistant to lightning.

What is considered the most powerful crit weapon, then?

I love the hornet ring. I mostly go for crits in PvE these days, so it's my go-to ring for that slot.

scosher

Akuun said:
Hmm makes sense. My +4 lightning Estoc outdamages my normal +14 Bandit Knife for crits against some enemies, but does less than it for some other enemies. I assume the latter type of enemy is resistant to lightning.

I love the hornet ring. I mostly go for crits in PvE these days, so it's my go-to ring for that slot.

Rapiers. Only a few AR less than Estoc, but has the 110 crit modifier and the thrusting weapons' better backstab formula.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man sometime I love usin the wiki..have all of Reah's stuff? A certain event can't happen in this playthrough anymore? Humanity suck and slice!

TommyT

rance said:
jesus christ tommyt what is your problem

im not even in this argument and im still getting annoyed

The 'problem' is that it seems (to me) people are quick to jump to these asinine conclusions without knowing what it is going on. The assumptions that are flying around...

I have no issue with any opinion, provided you can explain why you think that way or have come to it. Tokkun's is a great example and something which I agree with. To give an opinion, not support it, and call it 'lazy' is pretty ridiculous. That is unless they really are being lazy, which I've been trying to find out the actual certification 'process' but haven't had any luck.

RadicalRad said:
The funniest is when he gets mad about being quoted.
I forget that asking why someone is quoting me is being mad these days. I'll be sure to remember that. "ok... Why are you quoting me on this?" = RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEE :lol

tokkun said:
Yeah, I use +4 Fire Rapier, Hornet Ring, Dark Wood Grain. Spider Shield and Parrying Dagger in left hand. Gargoyle Helm and Armor of Thorns (for looks, not stats).

I only have 15 VIT and low poise so many characters can one or two-shot me, and I'm screwed if I miss a parry, but that just adds to the excitement.

My builds are more about having fun than min-maxing.

I never got the helm to drop, so I'll look into if it's good for the weight/stats that fit my char. I think I'm still at lvl 12, so I might have room to pump a few more into END to raise my carry weight without Havel's. Dark Wood Grain seems like a must though!

tokkun

Akuun said:

Strictly speaking, weapons like Grant, Greataxe, Zweihander will outdamage piercing weapons, but they are not ideal for a number of reasons.

Among small elemental weapons, I believe Rapier does the most. I'm not sure about what happens when you introduce stat-scaling. Estoc is also popular since it comes close in crit damage and is a better weapon for non-crit attacks. Bandit's Knife can also be used to bleed foes which can be quite useful. So there's no clear winner.

Septimius

Sullichin said:
I have my Iaito as lightning, for my Uchigatana I'm working on making it +15. Where it is now (+8 or 9), the damage output just sucks. It's so much easier to make a powerful lightning weapon. Hopefully it will be better after the patch.

A +15 weapon is frickin AWESOME when you buff it (CMW or Darkmoon Blade). Otherwise, Enchanted +5 can easily be better, if you're INT. I have 40 INT 40 DEX, and +5 Enchanted does more damage than +15.

Manmademan said:
I said "around" 40 dex. my current dex is over 50, and the damage is flat out higher. I don't really know what to tell you, except the damage your +15 does will continue to go up the more you pump your dex.

it's not "theorycrafting", i'm comparing the numbers in the equipment screen. I have no idea what monsters are lightning resistant and which ones aren't, so I don't use mob damage as my criteria.

Well, let's see then. With 50 DEX a +15 Uchi does 415 damage, while a Lightning Uchigatana +5 does 498 (247/0/0/251) - so I don't really get where you're coming from here. Even with 99 STR and DEX, it still only does 455 dmg, so you're not comparing your numbers right.

But that being said, +15 Uchi is no match for a +5 Lightning at 40 DEX. Why? Because ALL damage comes from one type, so it doesn't have to go through multiple defenses. If we assume 200 DEF in both LIG and PHY, then you get -200 damage total, that's 300 damage. With a Uchi at 415 against 200 PHY def, you lose 100 damage, so that's 315 damage.

So it's whichever way between the two. How much resistance and how high they are compared to each other will determine which does most damage. However, throw a CMW on that +15, and you'll kill everything by looking at it.

EDIT: whops - those numbers for the Uchi were from 1.05, not 1.03 - in 1.03 with 99 DEX and STR the +15 Uchi does 415 damage. That'll take some magic to be better than Lightning.

Just touched a dragon remnant for the first time. Well, at least I've now seen the infinite firebomb spewing glitch in action. Seems like a weird invasion method if you're just going to do that. Was also surprised to see that you can indict dragon eye invaders.

TommyT

Air Zombie Meat said:
Just touched a dragon remnant for the first time. Well, at least I've now seen the infinite firebomb spewing glitch in action. Seems like a weird invasion method if you're just going to do that. Was also surprised to see that you can indict dragon eye invaders.

When they do that, does it just spam them at a single point (so if you're hit you're pretty much screwed)? Or can they aim once they've started throwing? Can you not just dodge when they do the first one and take advantage when they're stuck in that 'infinite' use animation?

Never seen it in action but always wondered why you can just avoid then run up to them and backstab/attack while they're in that animation. :O

Septimius

Air Zombie Meat said:

Among Japanese players, it's seems honorary to get indicted - a way of saying "thank you for the good fight". I can easily see why. I love getting indicted, and I get more sins and climb in the book of sins!

TommyT said:
When they do that, does it just spam them at a single point (so if you're hit you're pretty much screwed)? Or can they aim once they've started throwing? Can you not just dodge when they do the first one and take advantage when they're stuck in that 'infinite' use animation?

Never seen it in action but always wondered why you can just avoid then run up to them and backstab/attack while they're in that animation. :O

I don't think he could aim them that well, they were landing all over the place in a big arc around him. They spewed out really quickly and didn't seem predictable at all. I tried to get in close but with them going off all over the place I couldn't even see where he was through the explosions then I got hit by a few in a row and died.

Septimius said:
Among Japanese players, it's seems honorary to get indicted - a way of saying "thank you for the good fight". I can easily see why. I love getting indicted, and I get more sins and climb in the book of sins!

This stuff really confuses me to be honest. I used to indict the cheesiest players till I realised some actually wanted it. So now I indict people that fight fair but I end up feeling awful just in case they didn't want it :/

Guy camping at the Bridge spawnpoint and Twops on spawn

That's cool

Oh and he does the "Was that it?" taunt too

what a swell guy

holy crap, and a different one doing the same thing but with CSM

What the hell is wrong with this community? And FROM, did you playtest the balance of this shit at all? Patch can't come soon enough

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Alright..90 hours clocked. Everything but Gwyn done. Just need to forge up my big soul weapons and farm a few misc stuff before finishin my first play through Currently 67% trophies.

TommyT

worldrevolution said:
Alright..90 hours clocked. Everything but Gwyn done. Just need to forge up my big soul weapons and farm a few misc stuff before finishin my first play through Currently 67% trophies.

Don't forget to kill NPCs if you plan on going to NG+!

Thagomizer said:
Guy camping at the Bridge spawnpoint and Twops on spawn

That's cool

Oh and he does the "Was that it?" taunt too

what a swell guy

holy crap, and a different one doing the same thing but with CSM

What the hell is wrong with this community?

Check out the kiln for pvp, seems like theres much less of that bullshit going on there.

Air Zombie Meat said:
Check out the kiln for pvp, seems like theres much less of that bullshit going on there.

I want to get my Ears so I can get my Darkmoon stuff ( I HATE farming and especially in Aramais, and I only need 4 more) before I open up the path to save Solaire. I'm saving the Tomb for last.

Akuun

I killed surprisingly few npcs at the end of my run. I just couldn't bring myself to kill the nice ones, like the blacksmith in the church, and the daughter of chaos :(

I'm an expert

TommyT said:
Don't forget to kill NPCs if you plan on going to NG+!

Yep..cleared out some firekeepers and some clerics and even went for the cat but she was gone haha. Few more things to clean up and plan out for NG+ and then I'm gonna put this game a bit to the side and play some Battlefield!

Akuun said:
I killed surprisingly few npcs at the end of my run. I just couldn't bring myself to kill the nice ones, like the blacksmith in the church :(

thanks for remindin me..gotta kill the big guy for the chest behind him and finish off my ring set. man..weird now being 100% in the know with this game.

It's over..that feeling of new..now to wait another 2 years for a special game like this. To be fair when I finished Demon's I thought that I'd never play a game like it again. This one did well enough to warrant one more.

worldrevolution said:
Yep..cleared out some firekeepers and some clerics and even went for the cat but she was gone haha. Few more things to clean up and plan out for NG+ and then I'm gonna put this game a bit to the side and play some Battlefield!

thanks for remindin me..gotta kill the big guy for the chest behind him and finish off my ring set. man..weird now being 100% in the know with this game.

It's over..that feeling of new..now to wait another 2 years for a special game like this. To be fair when I finished Demon's I thought that I'd never play a game like it again. This one did well enough to warrant one more.

You don't have to kill the giant. You can go around behind him.

I'm an expert

Thagomizer said:
You don't have to kill the giant. You can go around behind him.

I swear I tried..but maybe only one way..who cares he has a helmet too I want! Death to every one!

.GqueB.

Banned
Tried to solo Nito last night because I couldnt find any summons... beat him to within an inch of his life... then he did that stupid unblockable move and killed me. I dont want to go back to there.

scosher

Akuun said:
I killed surprisingly few npcs at the end of my run. I just couldn't bring myself to kill the nice ones, like the blacksmith in the church, and the daughter of chaos :(

Pfft, Blacksmiths needed to go.

The only two NPC's kills I actually regretted killing were
Sieglinde after she had already killed her father, and the Daughter of Chaos...I even put on the Old Witch's Ring to see what she would say, and her death cries now haunt me :(

TommyT

.GqueB. said:
Tried to solo Nito last night because I couldnt find any summons... beat him to within an inch of his life... then he did that stupid unblockable move and killed me. I dont want to go back to there.

Which move? I didn't think he had anything you couldn't avoid. The ground stab thing is really hard to get the timing on though.

Soulhouf

worldrevolution said:
You can get to the chest without killing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom