• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on NG+ @ SL130~

I was doing great through most areas with fire +5 Iato (which has been traded for a fire +5 washing pole). I had a hell of a time on four kings, and I couldn't find a summons once. I ended up having to use every patch fixed trick in the book! The final working combo was iron flesh, moonlight sword +5 RH, crystal ring shield LH. I was getting 952 damage ring hit.. I was just shocked because in OG, I beat them on my first try. Also, fuck those dark wraiths!

Just wanted to rant...

I get the most damage in the least time swinging that iato. I like playing around with all the other weapons... Especially Velkas rapier at +5. But I keep going back to those fire based eastern blades...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Jimmy Stav said:
I'd like some feedback on my stats, if anyone cares to offer it:

SL 61
VIT 17
AT 11
END 34
STR 33
DEX 18
RES 12
INT 11
FTH 8

I use minimal armor with large weapons one-handed with a shield. Should I just start pumping points into vitality at this point?

Yeah I hit a point where I was like..ok..time to get 40 vit.. the hp helps so much, and is critical in pvp. Though in Demon's and this for some reason I like playing the main game with little hp, gives more challenge.

shiroryu

So satisfying to take down the Black Knights in the Asylum with magic, especially when they can oneshot you if you make a mistake. Died 5-6 times in all before I figured out their patterns and learned to bait attacks and hit them with magic.

Got so happy I tried to take down the boss, and as expected, made no headway. Thing is the boss is clearly beatable with Drake Sword even early on, needing patience and pattern recognition. Just that because I'm a magic user, lock-on is necessary, and not using lock on makes it tough to target spells.

Anyone here take down this guy with magic early on?

It's fun to take on areas that you're not exactly meant to take on yet. Killed the first drake in Valley of the Drakes coming from Darkroot Basin, and it was almost like a miniboss. Halberd BK in the Basin was no challenge because he fell off 20 seconds into the fight trying to back up lol. Now considering defeating the Hydra and Havel :p

I'm still considering which weapon to upgrade though...I'm still rolling with standard spears and swords, can't make up my mind which to upgrade. Spears/rapiers are helpful because of the attack while blocking, while longswords help you tear through multiple mobs at once.

roxya

shiroryu said:
So satisfying to take down the Black Knights in the Asylum with magic, especially when they can oneshot you if you make a mistake. Died 5-6 times in all before I figured out their patterns and learned to bait attacks and hit them with magic.

Got so happy I tried to take down the boss, and as expected, made no headway. Thing is the boss is clearly beatable with Drake Sword even early on, needing patience and pattern recognition. Just that because I'm a magic user, lock-on is necessary, and not using lock on makes it tough to target spells.

Anyone here take down this guy with magic early on?

Not with magic but I did lockon using a halberd. Basically you keep yourself unlocked so you can get behind him faster, and then you can lock on to get your spell off.

snap0212

I've finally found time to start this game and I'm amazed how much I like it. I did die a couple of times but it felt like I can avoid it if I just proceed with caution. I started as a Pyromancer and it feels like I need a better shield. I'm only at the Undead Burg but I think I should get a better one asap?

roxya

snap0212 said:
I've finally found time to start this game and I'm amazed how much I like it. I did die a couple of times but it felt like I can avoid it if I just proceed with caution. I started as a Pyromancer and it feels like I need a better shield. I'm only at the Undead Burg but I think I should get a better one asap?

Pretty much the first priority in Demon's and Dark Souls is to get a shield that can block 100% physical damage. You might get lucky on a Hollow Soldier Shield drop (though I only got one in the whole game...), or you can buy the Heater Shield from the male undead merchant for 1000 souls.

shiroryu

snap0212 said:
I was watching EpicNameBro's playthrough yesterday and he remarked how Dark Souls, an action RPG, nails survival horror, while Resident Evil is going the opposite way in becoming more like an FPS. Caution is essential when exploring any new area...once you've become familiar with how an area is laid out, though, you'll wonder why it gave you trouble.

shiroryu

Soulhouf said:
This is the key to progress in Dark/Demon's Souls.

And keep your shield up.
snap0212:

Don't keep it up all the time though when multiple enemies are wailing on you...they'll eat up your stamina and break your guard. Back off if that happens, lower your shield for 1-2 seconds, and wait for your stamina to regenerate. The greater your equip load in proportion to what you can carry, the slower it regenerates.

snap0212

roxya said:
Pretty much the first priority in Demon's and Dark Souls is to get a shield that can block 100% physical damage. You might get lucky on a Hollow Soldier Shield drop (though I only got one in the whole game...), or you can buy the Heater Shield from the male undead merchant for 1000 souls.
Okay. I have a few thousand souls and want to spend them on something anyway so I think I'll just purchase that shield.

shiroryu said:
I was watching EpicNameBro's playthrough yesterday and he remarked how Dark Souls, an action RPG, nails survival horror, while Resident Evil is going the opposite way in becoming more like an FPS. Caution is essential when exploring any new area...once you've become familiar with how an area is laid out, though, you'll wonder why it gave you trouble.
Yes, I noticed that immediately. I'm usually pretty impatient when it comes to games (I rush through them :p) but that's just not possible here. I've yet to encounter something that really frustrates me because every death seems completely fair.

shiroryu said:
snap0212:

Don't keep it up all the time though when multiple enemies are wailing on you...they'll eat up your stamina and break your guard. Back off if that happens, lower your shield for 1-2 seconds, and wait for your stamina to regenerate. The greater your equip load in proportion to what you can carry, the slower it regenerates.
Oh, I didn't know that. :eek:

I'll have to wait a couple of hours until I can play more because my girlfriend wants to watch me play. We skipped Skyrim so we could finally start this one. I haven't been that excited to play more of a game since I was a little kid. :D

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hollow Soldier Shields..I think I have like 9..that and Crystal Long Swords..

Mephala

140.85 said:
But that's the problem. That strategy becomes almost useless in NG+ because it takes longer to take a single king down.

Eventually for me it came down to Iron Flesh + two-handing my best weapon but even with 6 casts of Iron Flesh I had to simply keep dying until I got lucky and all the random elements of the battle fell into place for me.

And here I thought I was doing something horribly wrong or my character has some horrible disease where he couldn't kill a king fast enough. I've been trying this for over 2 hours. Such a pain in the ass. I'm beginning to wonder if I can start a new character and join the Darkwraiths before I beat these guys in NG+. The sheer difficulty spike on this thing is nuts.

Zzoram

You know what beats the 4 Kings in NG+ no problem? Homing Crystal Soul Mass. You know what else it beats in NG+ no problem? EVERYTHING.

I think the only boss that could handle more than 3 hits of it was Gaping Dragon.

I'm so glad to be playing a pure melee new character now, that sorcerer I got my platinum trophy with was ridiculously overpowered.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Air Zombie Meat said:
This stuff really confuses me to be honest. I used to indict the cheesiest players till I realised some actually wanted it. So now I indict people that fight fair but I end up feeling awful just in case they didn't want it :/
Hehe, I can understand this confusion.

If you can indict anyone who invades you, surely that's fair enough. If you didn't want them there and they messed things up for you, that seems like a reason to indict.

If people "want" indictment, so be it. They gain some pretty numbers that extend the e-peen and feeling of being evil, and you have (hopefully) contributed to their eventual sentence. Maybe one day the Darkmoon will be all-powerful and all the cheesy players will be sorry they ever wished for indictments.

For now, we should all just play the way we want, and care less about the elusive "community". Like any online game that gets popular, it's a mixed one. When you start second-triple-quadruple guessing others too much, pidgeon-holing them and over-analysing, you get bogged down and the whole thing becomes less fun.

Zzoram

Indictment might be broken. I only have one of them, and I always choose Yes when I get killed and get the prompt, but my indictment never seems to get used up. It should be consumable because you can buy 99 of them.

shiroryu

Zzoram said:
You know what beats the 4 Kings in NG+ no problem? Homing Crystal Soul Mass. You know what else it beats in NG+ no problem? EVERYTHING.

I think the only boss that could handle more than 3 hits of it was Gaping Dragon.

I'm so glad to be playing a pure melee new character now, that sorcerer I got my platinum trophy with was ridiculously overpowered.
What did you use as your melee weapon for your mage? And did you take it down the Enchanted path or Magic path, or simply use Lightning weapons?

TommyT

Zzoram said:
Indictment might be broken. I only have one of them, and I always choose Yes when I get killed and get the prompt, but my indictment never seems to get used up. It should be consumable because you can buy 99 of them.

I believe this is a bug, and was/is addressed in the patch. You're not supposed to buy 99 of them since when you use one it isn't being 'consumed' from your inventory. You should only need one, and just use it over and over again.

tokkun

TommyT said:
I believe this is a bug, and was/is addressed in the patch. You're not supposed to buy 99 of them since when you use one it isn't being 'consumed' from your inventory. You should only need one, and just use it over and over again.

It seems likely from the dialog that it was at least originally intended that you would consume indictments. "Stocking up on indictments? How honorable of you."

scosher

Jimmy Stav said:
I'd like some feedback on my stats, if anyone cares to offer it:

SL 61
VIT 17
AT 11
END 34
STR 33
DEX 18
RES 12
INT 11
FTH 8

I use minimal armor with large weapons one-handed with a shield. Should I just start pumping points into vitality at this point?

You are 3 Str points away from using Black Knight Great Axe one-handed. It's considered one of the best Str weapons cause it's not too slow, stunlocks like a beast (need 80+ poise to not get staggered by an R1 hit), and has a wide-sweeping attack that catches people trying to circle-strafe you. You can farm for one at the end of the game from the respawning Black Knights in the Kiln. After 36 Str, you can then focus on Vit if you want, and bringing Endurance to 40.

EasyMode

Does anyone know what the stats are for the Gold-Hemmed set in 1.05? Or have a link to that Japanese(?) wiki. I should have bookmarked that, I remember it having enough English for me to navigate.

tokkun

scosher said:
stunlocks like a beast (need 80+ poise to not get staggered by an R1 hit),

Is this really true? I played with a BK gaxe for a while and I did not seem to stunlock anyone. I had much more success with Claymore, Gravelord, and Zweihander.

scosher

tokkun said:
Is this really true? I played with a BK gaxe for a while and I did not seem to stunlock anyone. I had much more success with Claymore, Gravelord, and Zweihander.

Probably shouldn't have used the word "stunlock" since the axe swings are slow enough where the opponent can still roll/block after the first hit. I just meant that it takes a lot of poise to not get staggered by the hit, so you don't have to worry about someone just circle-strafing you for the backstab and taking the damage without interruption.

shiroryu

TheThunder said:

EWGF on GameFAQs:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/60862103

I tested a few breakpoints to find some jazz, see what I could puzzle out. I didn't test everything... I couldn't. I didn't have the stats to wield everything, nor did I have it all on me. Adding poise also appears to be additive... not diminishing, which means you'll probably never want to stack it to high-heaven unless you're some kind of idiot.

- 40 poise seemed to stop most non-issue light stuns. Nothing that will combo you, but junk like Katanas, Barbed Swords, etc. This would probably be the minimal amount to have if you're using any larger weapons.

- 53 poise stops one 2-handed Claymore swing. Probably the most important breakpoint in the game.

- 55 stops one 2-handed Murakumo swing. Might as well go for this if you have 53. This will likely be the most common amount of Poise for sensible players that use it. Anything beyond here is cake icing.

- 76 stops one 2-handed Zwei/Gaxe swing (R1 swings only). This is probably the most you should ever go for. You'll need 106 poise to resist even 2 Claymore swings, which doesn't seem reasonable. Increasing Poise beyond 76 however will start turning certain Zwei/Gaxe (and like other) knockdowns into stuns.

TommyT

tokkun said:
It seems likely from the dialog that it was at least originally intended that you would consume indictments. "Stocking up on indictments? How honorable of you."

I've never bought one, so based of that I'd be willing to bet that's the case and it should be consumed on use. Can't remember where I read that... to searching!

.GqueB. said:
The one where he sends souls at you. He has to bend down to do it and I got stuck in the corner.

Edit: lol totally quoted the wrong person. But yea I realized last night that you CAN block that move. I think you have to use a shield thats high in magic? I was using the crystal ring shield.

Yeah, the damage can be mitigated with a shield. I would *think* it's magic (so Crest shield go!) unless it has some other specific property to it.

Zzoram said:
You found a way out? If not, you could've gotten yourself invaded by someone from GAF and have him push the switches for you.

Yeah I found a way out, its were the trankil miracle is, you drop there into a hole and you appear before that door :D amazing how everything is carefully thought to leave a way out

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So who else did this the first time they went to Painted World?

Pretty lady: "Please leave."

You:
okay-face.jpg

140.85 said:
So who else did this the first time they went to Painted World?

Pretty lady: "Please leave."

You:
okay-face.jpg

I don't know why this made me laugh, but it did.

My favorite part was when she said that the inhabitants were peaceful and kind.

I actually turned my character around to look back at the fog door, that statement was so inane. I like to imagine him giving Priscilla a flat stare at that and her looking a little sheepish at being called on her bullshit.

Sullichin

Lol, for some reason Priscilla was one of the hardest bosses for me. I beat Four Kings on my first try and was stuck on Priscilla for a pretty long time.

akira28

roxya said:

How does that work? I have like 100 of them...I guess you didn't upgrade farm early?

Sullichin said:
Lol, for some reason Priscilla was one of the hardest bosses for me. I beat Four Kings on my first try and was stuck on Priscilla for a pretty long time.

I left her alone on OG but took her out on the first try in NG.. Just hit her with some pyro and she goes visible. Also, if you're going to start a fight, start by hacking her tail! Has anyone noticed that a 2H Priscilla dagger sometimes deals an insane level of damage? Usually not, though, but it is fun to use..

BackdoorBeauty said:
I left her alone on OG but took her out on the first try in NG.. Just hit her with some pyro and she goes visible. Also, if you're going to start a fight, start by hacking her tail! Has anyone noticed that a 2H Priscilla dagger sometimes deals an insane level of damage? Usually not, though, but it is fun to use..

Her invisibility is actually a hidden status bar that you deplete with hits/damage; it has nothing to do with pyro/whatever. I hit her a few times with a +10 Painting Guardian sword to kncok her out of invisibility

Thagomizer said:
I don't know why this made me laugh, but it did.

My favorite part was when she said that the inhabitants were peaceful and kind.

I actually turned my character around to look back at the fog door, that statement was so inane. I like to imagine him giving Priscilla a flat stare at that and her looking a little sheepish at being called on her bullshit.

I thought the same thing. Perhaps she is referring to others we didn't see? The world seems pretty big.

Mortrialus said:
I thought the same thing. Perhaps she is referring to others we didn't see? The world seems pretty big.

Well, to be perfectly fair, she probably doesn't get out much- that undead dragon, tower knight, and mob of Hollowed are probably there to keep her in as much as invaders out- after all, this is a woman who scared the piss out of Gwyndolin and Ornstein (Priscilla seems to have come around after Gwyn had already left for the Kiln) and anyone going after her has a death wish. The people in the town you go through may have been perfectly normal at one point, but since she doesn't really have contact with anyone else, she doesn't know that.

Thagomizer said:
Well, to be perfectly fair, she probably doesn't get out much- that undead dragon, tower knight, and mob of Hollowed are probably there to keep her in as much as invaders out- after all, this is a woman who scared the piss out of Gwyndolin and Ornstein (Priscilla seems to have come around after Gwyn had already left for the Kiln) and anyone going after her has a death wish. The people in the town you go through may have been perfectly normal at one point, but since she doesn't really have contact with anyone else, she doesn't know that.

The whole thing with Priscilla seems very rushed and unfinished, even compared to the Covenants and Lost Izalith. It's vague even by the game's standard for lore the point of being almost incomprehensible. We don't know why she is there. We don't know why she exists. All we know is that the gods feared her. The Strange Doll almost makes it seem like she wants to be there voluntarily to escape persecution from the outside world. Given that she knows how to leave, this seems to be the case.

A lot of people think she might be an experiment by Seath. If this is true, and that she thinks the player doesn't belong in the Painted World, this would hint at other half dragons existing there.

I don't know the whole thing doesn't really make sense to me.

It feels like a DLC pack they were planning but stuck in the retail game before it was finished.

140.85 said:
HAHAHA...oh Solaire.

I saw this a while ago. Good stuff.

Moving on, one thing I really want to see an areal map of the actual game world in Dark Souls like this:

map-sml.gif

Larger version:

http://nosgoth.net/Soul_Reaver/map.jpg

Mortrialus said:
The whole thing with Priscilla seems very rushed and unfinished, even compared to the Covenants and Lost Izalith. It's vague even by the game's standard for lore the point of being almost incomprehensible. We don't know why she is there. We don't know why she exists. All we know is that the gods feared her. The Strange Doll almost makes it seem like she wants to be there voluntarily to escape persecution from the outside world. Given that she knows how to leave, this seems to be the case.

A lot of people think she might be an experiment by Seath. If this is true, and that she thinks the player doesn't belong in the Painted World, this would hint at other half dragons existing there.

I don't know the whole thing doesn't really make sense to me.

It feels like a DLC pack they were planning but stuck in the retail game before it was finished.

There's a couple story things that just don't make sense. For instance, why are Ornstein and Smough trying to kill you when you enter the cathedral? Ornstein was probably just talking to Gwynevere a minute ago; he jumps down from the balcony before the fight. He probably knows the score, so why would he try to kill the
patsy undead
? It just doesn't make sense from any direction. The only thing I can think of is
he knows that the Undead would have to kill Lord Gwyn, and Ornstein, being supremely loyal, balked at this and tries to stop anyone from reaching Gwynevere and obtaining the Lordvessel. Ths is also why the Knights and most of the giants are hostile; they are Ornstein's unit and he's going behind Gywndolin's back. He then bribed Smough with Astorias' position on the Knights to get him to go along with it.

Thagomizer said:
There's a couple story things that just don't make sense. For instance, why are Ornstein and Smough trying to kill you when you enter the cathedral? Ornstein was probably just talking to Gwynevere a minute ago; he jumps down from the balcony before the fight. He probably knows the score, so why would he try to kill the
patsy undead
? It just doesn't make sense from any direction. The only thing I can think of is
he knows that the Undead would have to kill Lord Gwyn, and Ornstein, being supremely loyal, balked at this and tries to stop anyone from reaching Gwynevere and obtaining the Lordvessel. Ths is also why the Knights and most of the giants are hostile; they are Ornstein's unit and he's going behind Gywndolin's back. He then bribed Smough with Astorias' position on the Knights to get him to go along with it.

That bugs me as well.

2AdEPT

mickcenary said:
I've never played a Western RPG, let alone a JRPG. Would this game eat me alive?
THe menacing aspect of this game is the ACTION part of action/rpg...The fact it is in the RPG category is not the reaosn it can be tough. If you have fast reflexes and like realistic fighting games there is no reason to fear anything. THere usually is a trick or pattern that can make the particular boss or situation easy enough to remain at full health....if you have patience and curiosity for that type of challenge this game can be very rewarding. I totally love it for that reason as it is a throwback to the earliest video games around, which simply put, were virtually unbeatable, or if they were, you had to spend a lot of hours. SOme purposely just got faster and faster until you simply could not progress and there was no ending per se...the only thing important was getting the "high score." THis game mixes in a lot of that history of impossibility, but always gives a way out; if you find it, the game is not punishing any longer. I find there are lots of people born into the PONG, Atari 2600, and intellivision crowd, and played "arcade" games when they first came out like asteroids, defender, frogger, centipede, that actually like dark souls as it takes them back to their youth.... YOu gotta be almost 40 to be in this crowd though....... FLippin kids nowadays ....too much pampering! ;P

shiroryu said:
EWGF on GameFAQs:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/60862103

I tested a few breakpoints to find some jazz, see what I could puzzle out. I didn't test everything... I couldn't. I didn't have the stats to wield everything, nor did I have it all on me. Adding poise also appears to be additive... not diminishing, which means you'll probably never want to stack it to high-heaven unless you're some kind of idiot.

- 40 poise seemed to stop most non-issue light stuns. Nothing that will combo you, but junk like Katanas, Barbed Swords, etc. This would probably be the minimal amount to have if you're using any larger weapons.

- 53 poise stops one 2-handed Claymore swing. Probably the most important breakpoint in the game.

- 55 stops one 2-handed Murakumo swing. Might as well go for this if you have 53. This will likely be the most common amount of Poise for sensible players that use it. Anything beyond here is cake icing.

- 76 stops one 2-handed Zwei/Gaxe swing (R1 swings only). This is probably the most you should ever go for. You'll need 106 poise to resist even 2 Claymore swings, which doesn't seem reasonable. Increasing Poise beyond 76 however will start turning certain Zwei/Gaxe (and like other) knockdowns into stuns.
I knew using the Havel's set + Wolf ring was an overkill...

I really need to find a good ring for the second slot and stick with it.

An interesting theory I found on TvTropes regarding the final fight:

You go back in time to kill Lord Gwyn.

Posted on THE Imageboard, but has been paraphrased for obvious reasons. If this theory is correct, soapstones aren't just a handwave.

As you enter the Kiln of the First Flame, it's unlike anything you've ever experienced. Same atmosphere from the intro sequence. Notice the Black Knights come out of fog gates just like you. You can even summon Solaire for the final battle if he hasn't gone insane, even though the last time you meet him he's ready to keel over. And if you link the fire, Gwyndolin has his plan come to fruition. Gwyndolin and Frampt tricked you into causing a Stable Time Loop, so the demigods of Anor Londo can keep having the shinier grass. If you leave the fire, though, you can declare the Age of Man and enter mankind through a renaissance age.

2AdEPT

Mortrialus said:
That bugs me as well.

HUge spoilers ahead go see Kaathe first if you want to figure it out yourself.......
Keeping in mind that Gwynivere is just an image put up by Gwyndolin and one can therefore assume he poses as a woman and is a devious trickerster and an outright liar, that things are not what they seem.
I won't give it away, but go seee kaathe before cutting down before cutting down what littel story there is in this game, he is your friend, not the family of Gywn, nor that fucker Frampt. Everything makes loose sense, but there are a multitude of questions unanswered.

2AdEPT said:
HUge spoilers ahead go see Kaathe first if you want to figure it out yourself.......
Keeping in mind that Gwynivere is just an image put up by Gwyndolin and one can therefore assume he poses as a woman and is a devious trickerster and an outright liar, that things are not what they seem.
I won't give it away, but go seee kaathe before cutting down the, he is your friend, not the family of Gywn, nor that fucker Frampt.

This is pretty well known. The thing is, there's nothing to really indicate that bringing on the Age of Man really benefits anyone besides the player character (and Kaathe) besides "we're free!" (...to do what? Go Hollow on our own time?) warm fuzzies.

Plus, it's not like Kaathe's a big shining bowl of good either. Remember the perks of his covenant? The ability to invade and kill anyone, anywhere, armor that pretty much screams "evil," and a weapon that sucks the humanity out of it's victims? Even if he's not as bad as Ingwald makes him out to be, he's still not a nice person, and his
"it's not my fault, every single Darkwraith went insane completely independantly of my gifts" excuse
is just laughably flimsy.

Oh, and remember, he's currently trapped in a black void. He'd most likely tell you your asshole smells like wildflowers and sandlewood if it got you to agree with him.

roxya

akira28 said:
How does that work? I have like 100 of them...I guess you didn't upgrade farm early?

I didn't upgrade farm at all until I got to Anor Londo, but if I had, I'm not sure I'd have been doing it on hollow soldiers?

Hi!

A quick question:

I just helped Lautrec escape from his cell - then bought the Artoria Crest to farm some souls. I did not beat the gargoyles yet but Lautrec did not appear at Firelink Shrine. What am I missing. A friend of mine told me he should be there.

Thanks in advance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom