• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GqueB.

Banned
The gold golem would have been right in the middle of the forest outside of the entrance to CC. I'm not sure if she's there if you aren't up on the Seigmeyer quest or not.

Hm, definitely not there. Last I spoke to him he was at firelink and said he was "going down below for more adventures". Mustve screwed up that sidequest.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hm, definitely not there. Last I spoke to him he was at firelink and said he was "going down below for more adventures". Mustve screwed up that sidequest.

Yeah, go to the end of Blighttown (near the slugs) and give him a moss. Of coure..how you'd know to do that at that point in the game is a bit..questionable.. but he does say he's going down! It should still be salvageable..maybe..as long as Seath has nothing to do with it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
We're all addicts! I've put in nearly 25 hours over the last few days. Would've been more were it not for Zelda.

When I say "waste" what I really mean is I like to spend souls on items and leveling up, and I don't want to grind for titanite. I just wanted to be assured I could take most weapons and turn them bad ass so I didn't spend a lot of resources only for them to not be that much good. I want to spend as much time as possible actually progressing rather than trying to collect stuff to beef up weapons.

I feel glad now, because after this thread and reading up on the Lightning Spear it's definitely something I should wait for it would seem.
I getcha. It's always a pickle with so many paths and so many weapons to choose from. But like folks have said, it just depends which weapon you prefer the feel of - if you're comfortable with a moveset and confident in your skill, you will always progress and not have to worry about grinding/farming/beefing up.

My playtime is slowly catching up with my current level. Last time I checked properly it was lvl45 at 35hrs... now it's probably closer to lvl55 at 45hrs. Quite happy to take my sweet time with it, though. There's not gonna be an experience like it for some time.
Quite looking forward to getting home at Christmas and relaxing with some Skyward Sword on the Wii. As much as I'm loving Dark, the change of pace, atmosphere and palette will be refreshing!

Broseybrose

This game is absolutely unbelievable! Its been weeks since I gained access to Sen's, made a run for the Lightening Spear (now +4) and came right back out to explore some more. I wanted to cover everything that I could before tackling Sen's properly.

Last night (at SL 71) I finally decided to face Sen's boss and destroyed him on the first try!

Tonight I went to Anor Londo because there was nowhere else for me to go (except New Londo Ruins bleh). Turned Human at a bonfire, summoned 2 phantoms, and we tore Anor Londo apart, all the way to the boss, and beat him. The phantoms showed me where all the good stuff was, but we moved through that place so fast I didnt get a chance to learn the layout.

I accomplished so much in 2 nights compared to the previous 2 weeks its just nutso.

Yea I got that. I feel Im missing stuff though. Apparently theres a golden golem somewhere. Missed a bunch of stuff in the archives too. Gotta go back. Missed stuff the the tomb of the giants too but Im never going back there.

This game doesnt really promote exploration like the last game did. Theres a lot more "Well I dont wanna do that shit again" in this game. Unfortunate.

i couldnt agree with you more. I started on NG+, as soon as i finished anor londo and Dukes archives i stopped playing. There was no way i was going through catacombs, crystal Caves, Tomb of the giants EVER again.

There were so many terrible and cheap stages in dark souls and i really think they dropped the ball in some of the cheap level design. Crystal caves was barely a stage, but it didnt promote skill or anything....it was just boring shooting arrows to see where the bridge was or using those prism stones...thats not skill its just slow and boring.

Anor Londo, Dukes Archives etc were excellent stages...the last 1/3rd or half of the game was just cheap and poorly designed and does not make me want to go back there.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
i couldnt agree with you more. I started on NG+, as soon as i finished anor londo and Dukes archives i stopped playing. There was no way i was going through catacombs, crystal Caves, Tomb of the giants EVER again.

There were so many terrible and cheap stages in dark souls and i really think they dropped the ball in some of the cheap level design. Crystal caves was barely a stage, but it didnt promote skill or anything....it was just boring shooting arrows to see where the bridge was or using those prism stones...thats not skill its just slow and boring.

Anor Londo, Dukes Archives etc were excellent stages...the last 1/3rd or half of the game was just cheap and poorly designed and does not make me want to go back there.

I loved all of the last stages actually for their brevity.. Catacombs/Tomb were really great at setting a helpless tone.. also arrows? prisms? The crystal rains on to the platforms and you can see where the drops land..they're literally in a straight line and there's only 3 bridges heh. If anything Izalith is a bit weird..

I loved all of the last stages actually for their brevity.. Catacombs/Tomb were really great at setting a helpless tone.. also arrows? prisms? The crystal rains on to the platforms and you can see where the drops land..they're literally in a straight line and there's only 3 bridges heh. If anything Izalith is a bit weird..

Well I hated the last stages for their shitness. And yes arrows and prisms. U need them to get the large magic ember. Regardless of whether u could negotiate the bridges or not it really was a cheaply designed area which wasnt fun

Just finished every area off and just got the "Kiln of the 1st Flame" left to do, Will kill the last boss when im done with other stuff but need help

To get my last bunch of weapon trophies i need

• Titanite Slab
  • Blue Titanite Slab
  • Red Titanite Slab
  • White Titanite Slab

Any ideas of how to get any of these?

I've already used the Titanite slab from the Asylum demon, got the red Titanite slab from Lost Izalith and Snugly won't trade anything with me no more and keeps saying "enough, Enough" to me

I tried to kill the moonlight butterflies from the crystal caves but there drops seem to float in the air and i can't get to them and when i try i fall to my Doom

Kweh

Where do I go after the Crystal Caves? Is it New Londo Ruins? If so, do I need a certain item to kill the ghosts there? I remember venturing in there earlier in the game and not being able to target them.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
@Kweh: You need to be cursed in order to target/damage the ghosts.
There's a guy in New Londo Ruins who will reverse your curse for 1 humanity.
A Transient Curse will work, too.

Eccocid

I have a great idea for the next Souls game!

there should be a new way of invading other people. Instead of invading other world with your own character, you will just posses one of the enemies in the level. But there won't be any way to tell for the invaded player about which regular enemy is being controlled by invader.

So invader could trick player by standing idle like other mobs. There is one disadvantage for invader, you will be using what the enemy mob has but then you have a great advantage of disguise. Since the invaded player won't expect a regular enemy to backstab him or use complex tactics in the middle of fight!

There should be some levels or restrictions for it. Maybe a level system etc. For example if the invader has a higher level he can posses a more tough enemy ie. one of those Black Knights.

Oh it would be fucking fun and hilarious.

Well, after debating about what to upgrade last night I got the Lightning Spear today and upgraded it to +3. In Sen's Fortress that does 5x more damage than my Drake Sword! Very, very happy with that so thanks to everyone who let me know about it! :)

Also, after Blighttown being so shit it's great to go through Sen's Fortress. I love creeping alone, looking for the traps, avoiding the rolling balls, etc etc. It feels like such a cool place to be in. I would say the bonfire on the roof is VERY hard to find, however, as I had to use resort to a Youtube video to find it after wandering around for ages. I don't think bonfires should be that hidden, especially since it took me about 45 mins to work my way through to that point.

I'm really looking forward to not only pushing on in the Fortress, but also going back to other areas and seeing how my new Spear rips through other enemies. Maybe I can actually take on the boss in the Undead Asylum now!

Fuck I love this game. GOTY, easily.

No armor? Makes sense as he beat my ass into a pulp the first time I ran into him by mistake.

How is Drake Sword against him? Either way I guess I should deff go for the backstabs, then.

Thanks.

Yes, no armor, because his weapon is a one hit kill regardless unless you are MASSIVELY overleveled and no armor=faster.

Zzoram

I have a great idea for the next Souls game!

there should be a new way of invading other people. Instead of invading other world with your own character, you will just posses one of the enemies in the level. But there won't be any way to tell for the invaded player about which regular enemy is being controlled by invader.

So invader could trick player by standing idle like other mobs. There is one disadvantage for invader, you will be using what the enemy mob has but then you have a great advantage of disguise. Since the invaded player won't expect a regular enemy to backstab him or use complex tactics in the middle of fight!

There should be some levels or restrictions for it. Maybe a level system etc. For example if the invader has a higher level he can posses a more tough enemy ie. one of those Black Knights.

Oh it would be fucking fun and hilarious.

That would be pretty cool. Even bringing back the human controlled boss they had in Demon's Souls would be good. I like having more ways to have multiplayer without it being traditional multiplayer.

Zzoram

Just finished every area off and just got the "Kiln of the 1st Flame" left to do, Will kill the last boss when im done with other stuff but need help

To get my last bunch of weapon trophies i need

• Titanite Slab
  • Blue Titanite Slab
  • Red Titanite Slab
  • White Titanite Slab

Any ideas of how to get any of these?

I've already used the Titanite slab from the Asylum demon, got the red Titanite slab from Lost Izalith and Snugly won't trade anything with me no more and keeps saying "enough, Enough" to me

I tried to kill the moonlight butterflies from the crystal caves but there drops seem to float in the air and i can't get to them and when i try i fall to my Doom

White Slab is just before Nito, where the 5 mini pinwheels are. When going up the last walk way, instead of turning right to get to the boss door, if you jump forward you can pick it up.

Blue Slab is on a curved invisible bridge in the crystal cave. All the progress bridges are straight, but you'll want to bring prism stones and arrows to figure out the path to the Blue Slab. Go across the first invisible straight bridge, then when you drop onto the second one, instead of going forward, turn around. You can go in the other direction, through a bit of a cave, then onto the curving invisible bridge.

Red Slab is in Lost Izalith and you can also trade an ascended pyro flame to snuggly for it (ascend from +15 to +0 at Queelana sitting in Blighttown swamp beside a pillar)

Titanite Slab from Asylum Demon when returning to the tutorial zone, or from the Onion Knight if you finish his quest line

That would be pretty cool. Even bringing back the human controlled boss they had in Demon's Souls would be good. I like having more ways to have multiplayer without it being traditional multiplayer.

Nito would have been a perfect opportunity for this. Instead of the skeletons, have 1 or 2 Gravelord Servants summoned to fight. Restrict them to two-handing the Gravelord Sword so it's not ridiculously hard and people can't spam magic, and there you go.

Septimius

Nah, it's still bad to match grossly uneven players especially in an rpg where levels and stats matter so much.

From both what I experienced and read DeS has a better online implementation. The covenant stuff is cool and a step in the right track though and hopefully they'll nail it in the third "Souls" game.

Well, levels don't matter that much. From 120 upwards, it really makes little difference. And there's ample powerful low level builds, but yeah, I of course see where you're coming from. It is unfair for an SL1 to be able to invade an SL710. To me, it could be 100+ can invade anyone, and I'd call it a day.

So, excluding the poorly designed cheapness that is
Bed of Chaos,
, what is everybody's least favorite boss?

My vote goes to the
Four Kings.
Super boring, zero fun, just tank them with heavy armor and Iron Flesh then hit them with your biggest stick until they die, and hope the other ones don't come in for a gangbang when you're focused on one. Just a terrible fight. There's not even any pretty setpeices, just you, the Void, and Those of the Really Dry Skin.

Seath sucks. I realize that many bosses won't be able to hit you if you know what you're doing, but Seath literally can't hit you even if you don't know his tells. He has two lasers which will never connect. A melee attack that will never connect. His only dangerous attack is his tail trash, and that is only a problem if you're going after his tail. His health is super bloated. I think he has the highest amount of health in the game. It isn't challenging in the least, it just takes forever. Definitely my pick for the worst boss in the game.

Seath sucks. I realize that many bosses won't be able to hit you if you know what you're doing, but Seath literally can't hit you even if you don't know his tells. He has two lasers which will never connect. A melee attack that will never connect. His only dangerous attack is his tail trash, and that is only a problem if you're going after his tail. His health is super bloated. I think he has the highest amount of health in the game. It isn't challenging in the least, it just takes forever. Definitely my pick for the worst boss in the game.

Well, he might hit you with the crystal spread, but that's a wet noodle kind of attack an it will probably never actually curse you. I agree he's boring, but the Kings actually ARE dangerous, have a ridiculous amount of HP, and require just as little strategy and are just as boring as Seath, except they actually can wreck your shit with little to no warning.

Well, he might hit you with the crystal spread, but that's a wet noodle kind of attack an it will probably never actually curse you. I agree he's boring, but the Kings actually ARE dangerous, have a ridiculous amount of HP, and require just as little strategy and are just as boring as Seath, except they actually can wreck your shit with little to no warning.

I think the fact that the Four Kings can actually do damage to you puts them above Seath. I like the idea of a DPS race. I used to play a lot of WoW so it felt really nostalgic. I liked how they lived in absolute darkness, but I agree it should have had some kind visual set pieces, or perhaps the Darkness should have cleared after you kill them, revealing visual set pieces.

Plus, I think Seath takes longer to kill with the Crystal Ring Shield than the Four Kings with a melee weapon.

I think the fact that the Four Kings can actually do damage to you puts them above Seath. I like the idea of a DPS race. I used to play a lot of WoW so it felt really nostalgic. I liked how they lived in absolute darkness, but I agree it should have had some kind visual set pieces, or perhaps the Darkness should have cleared after you kill them, revealing visual set pieces.

Plus, I think Seath takes longer to kill with the Crystal Ring Shield than the Four Kings with a melee weapon.

Well, that hilariously out of place bonfire shows up. I think the Bonfires should have had a few different models to fit where they are; having a sword stuck in a pile of ash and bones looks weird outside Gwynevere's chambers, the Covenant of Artorias should allow you to leave (after all, how could everyone else who made a Covenant with Kaathe get out if they didn't have the Lordvessel?), stuff like that.

I don't like DPS races, whereas I found it fun to just screw around with Seath, even if the actual battle isn't great. Different strokes.

snap0212

Man, this game is killing me. I'm currently at the bonfire in the
Undead Burg
[heading to the
Undead Parish
]. I've grinded for quite a bit. At first I wanted to get some bolts for my Crossbow – to then realize that you cannot aim properly with it. I wanted to get the
Drakesword
so I grinded more to be able to buy a bow + 100 arrows. Did that to find out I'm unable to even equip it. → More farming.

Anyways; got the
Drakesword
now and am on my way to conquer the
Undead Parish
. Wish me luck!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Man, this game is killing me. I'm currently at the bonfire in the
Undead Burg
[heading to the
Undead Parish
]. I've grinded for quite a bit. At first I wanted to get some bolts for my Crossbow – to then realize that you cannot aim properly with it. I wanted to get the
Drakesword
so I grinded more to be able to buy a bow + 100 arrows. Did that to find out I'm unable to even equip it. → More farming.

Anyways; got the
Drakesword
now and am on my way to conquer the
Undead Parish
. Wish me luck!

With the Drake sword the undead burg is yours for the taking. You won't need luck. It felt great cleaning up all the Black Knights once I had that sword. You also have everything you need to take on Havel in the tower basement. The key to all of this is backstabs, naturally.

Damn, New Londo is a huge pain in the ass. I drained the water and have elevator access, but the elevator near the entrance puts you in a horrible position to fight those skeleton knights. I don't feel like buying more Transient Curses in order to use the other one. Ugh.

snap0212

With the Drake sword the undead burg is yours for the taking. You won't need luck. It felt great cleaning up all the Black Knights once I had that sword. You also have everything you need to take on Havel in the tower basement. The key to all of this is backstabs, naturally.
It was no problem at all until there was some big dude with a shield just as big as him. Fire bombs make it pretty easy; I haven't equipped the Drake sword yet because I'm too weak to hold it in one hand. I'll try again in a couple of minutes. I really hope I'm near a bonfire, though. :(

Damn, New Londo is a huge pain in the ass. I drained the water and have elevator access, but the elevator near the entrance puts you in a horrible position to fight those skeleton knights. I don't feel like buying more Transient Curses in order to use the other one. Ugh.

There's a drop off point a little beyond the first ghost that drops you right at the courtyard before the 2nd giant slime. Search Youtube for New Londo Shortcut- you'll know you have the right vid because the player is wearing the Catarina armor.

Also, I was invaded by Havel the Rock last week. As in, his gametag was Havel the Rock and he had Havel's full set, Dragon Tooth included. He kicked my ass, but it was hilarious.

So, despite playing Demon's Souls for 50 hours and being 25 hours into this game, I've never once teamed up with another guy. I've been invaded, but I played most of Demon's in soul form and I've been playing all of this game in undead form.

I get to the top of Sen's Fortress, I happen to have gained a humanity. I go to a bonfire to save and think the what the hell and use it since I thought I would die on the boss anyway and might as well use it before I lose it.

Then, outside his door, I see a summon sign. I use it, and a guy comes into my game. We go on to the boss, I run up to him and slash away with my Lightning Spear as he throws Heavy Soul Arrows at him. When he's out of magic he runs up and slashes him and I start throwing my Soul Arrows at him. He goes down super easily.

It was fucking cool.

I'm a bit undecided about whether or not to do this again, now. On one hand it really is awesome you can team up like that, but on the other hand there is a great satisfaction in beating a boss by yourself - everything I've done in Demon's and this game I've done by myself. That's a cool feeling.

I think I'm going to try to tackle other bosses by myself, but if I have a humanity handy and I might use it from time to time. Perhaps on bosses that really kick my ass.

Anyway, I know you've all done this a million times, but it's new for me, so yeah. :)

Co-op is a blast indeed. Why not try helping other people out with bosses if you enjoyed it? It's a fun way to get souls and humanity. I solo'ed all the bosses on my first playthrough but I still did loads of co-op helping other people out.

Yeah I might try that :) I only have 5 humanities at the moment, though, so I'm a bit scared of wasting them! I know I'll need them for bonfires in the new areas I'll be going to.

I could always farm 5k to buy some, I guess.

Yeah I might try that :) I only have 5 humanities at the moment, though, so I'm a bit scared of wasting them! I know I'll need them for bonfires in the new areas I'll be going to.

You don't need humanity or to be human to help others out, you can do it as a hollow. Just find a good spot to put your summon sign and you'll soon be raking in the souls. You also get 1 humanity for every boss kill.

tokkun

Say you are in the Forest covenant, put down a white summon sign in the forest, get summoned there, and kill other Forest members while a white phantom.

Do you get expelled from the covenant?

Say you are in the Forest covenant, put down a white summon sign in the forest, get summoned there, and kill other Forest members while a white phantom.

Do you get expelled from the covenant?

Don't you just go right through, like with random mobs? I never tried it, but I can't imagine it would be an different.

I'm somewhat late to the party, but I'm somewhat disappointed with DS so far. I'm up to Anor Londo now, but to be honest I'm feeling the urge to play it fading already, and I've barely had it a week. The thing that soured it the most was Blighttown. Hardly an unusual complaint, but jesus fuck was that place hellish for me.

I got stuck there twice. The first time I was doing pretty well but was finding it difficult to punch through past the first bonfire. Then my weapon broke. I was stuck by the bonfire area with only shitty unupgraded weapons, as at that stage I didn't even realise you could buy items that let you upgrade/fix items yourself at the bonfire. Getting out of there was pure hell and was probably the closest a game has driven me to an embarrassing near toddleresque tantrum. Then after I'd got out of that clusterfuck I surged onwards without a care in the world. Until I got to the hollow tree place, and got cursed. I had to get again get out of blighttown with fuck all health and (eventually) zero anti-poison items. The air turned blue, I can tell you.

If they'd kept the whole Nexus concept from the first game non of this would have happened. Aside from being an atmospheric environment, it also meant you could never truly get stuck in that game. Ditto also for the inability to teleport to areas at well. Having to hike 300 miles through difficult territory just to get some more arrows or whatever is also just infuriating and another huge step back from the original.

Also, who the fucking hell thought walking across endless tiny inch wide platforms was in any way fun? Seeing that return in Anor Londo was a pretty far from welcome surprise, and sums up perfectly the mentality behind the game. Demon Souls was a (very) harsh but (mostly) fair game that punished you greatly for failure but was still on the level. Dark Souls is just plain mean spirited and backwards. I'm honestly preparing myself for an inevitable enemy that reverses my controls or slippy slidey iceworlds where you careen about and enemies move normally, so "oldskool" (by which I mean antiquated)and misguided are some of the design choices in this game.

I've still had fun and really enjoyed the online stuff this time round (I never teamed up with anyone in Demon Souls, and only has a couple of invasions), but there's so much just plain bad in this game. It's a shame.

or glitch and get 99 and level up every bonfire once you kill pinwheel. dont be afraid to glitch before they patch it out. this game is SO broken anyway so just level your character and get your nice weapons before they take it all away.

I'm somewhat late to the party, but I'm somewhat disappointed with DS so far. I'm up to Anor Londo now, but to be honest I'm feeling the urge to play it fading already, and I've barely had it a week. The thing that soured it the most was Blighttown. Hardly an unusual complaint, but jesus fuck was that place hellish for me.

I got stuck there twice. The first time I was doing pretty well but was finding it difficult to punch through past the first bonfire. Then my weapon broke. I was stuck by the bonfire area with only shitty unupgraded weapons, as at that stage I didn't even realise you could buy items that let you upgrade/fix items yourself at the bonfire. Getting out of there was pure hell and was probably the closest a game has driven me to an embarrassing near toddleresque tantrum. Then after I'd got out of that clusterfuck I surged onwards without a care in the world. Until I got to the hollow tree place, and got cursed. I had to get again get out of blighttown with fuck all health and (eventually) zero anti-poison items. The air turned blue, I can tell you.

If they'd kept the whole Nexus concept from the first game non of this would have happened. Aside from being an atmospheric environment, it also meant you could never truly get stuck in that game. Ditto also for the inability to teleport to areas at well. Having to hike 300 miles through difficult territory just to get some more arrows or whatever is also just infuriating and another huge step back from the original.

Also, who the fucking hell thought walking across endless tiny inch wide platforms was in any way fun? Seeing that return in Anor Londo was a pretty far from welcome surprise, and sums up perfectly the mentality behind the game. Demon Souls was a (very) harsh but (mostly) fair game that punished you greatly for failure but was still on the level. Dark Souls is just plain mean spirited and backwards. I'm honestly preparing myself for an inevitable enemy that reverses my controls or slippy slidey iceworlds where you careen about and enemies move normally, so "oldskool" (by which I mean antiquated)and misguided are some of the design choices in this game.

I've still had fun and really enjoyed the online stuff this time round (I never teamed up with anyone in Demon Souls, and only has a couple of invasions), but there's so much just plain bad in this game. It's a shame.

If you don't like Anor Londo, which is probably the best area in the game, I cannot wait until you get to Tomb of Giants or Izalith. The narrow walkways aren't even a problem (archers excluded) if you are careful and don't just run up them.

tokkun

Don't you just go right through, like with random mobs? I never tried it, but I can't imagine it would be an different.

I'm talking about being summoned as a white phantom by someone not in the covenant. Both the NPC covenant members and player covenant members would be hostile to the host.

the sad thing is, once you clear Anor Londo and Dukes Archives..the game is incredibly downhill and painful from then on. i finished the game, started NG+< got to Dukes Archives in a couple of hours and then stopped playing. its just not fun anymore doing catacombs, tomb of the giants/crystal caves etc.

or glitch and get 99 and level up every bonfire once you kill pinwheel. dont be afraid to glitch before they patch it out. this game is SO broken anyway so just level your character and get your nice weapons before they take it all away.

Why would I want to glitch anything? The whole point of the game is a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom