• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

the sad thing is, once you clear Anor Londo and Dukes Archives..the game is incredibly downhill and painful from then on. i finished the game, started NG+< got to Dukes Archives in a couple of hours and then stopped playing. its just not fun anymore doing catacombs, tomb of the giants/crystal caves etc.

All of those areas are easy as hell the second run through. Just get the Sunlight Maggot for Tomb of Giants and you're good. Learn the positions of the invisible bridges and you're good. Even Lost Azelith was pretty reasonable on my second time around.

The more I progress, the more I miss enemies dealing damage to each other. It made things very tactical in Demon's because you could position yourself so enemies would slice each other.

Feels cheap they don't do that now.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The more I progress, the more I miss enemies dealing damage to each other. It made things very tactical in Demon's because you could position yourself so enemies would slice each other.

Feels cheap they don't do that now.

I might be remembering totally wrong but I think some enemies can hurt other enemies. It doesn't appear to be very common though.

Edit: the wiki says Bounding Demons can hurt each other, for example. I also have a vague and possibly false memory of a big knight hurting some grunts in the Painted World. Oh yeah, and the Hydra in the Basin definitely can kill crystal golems.

EasyMode

Some enemies do damage others. Some bosses and minibosses damage enemies that respawn from what I noticed. I often let the Hydra in Darkroot Basin take out the enemies down there.

Eccocid

Just rung the first bell and I'm headed to New Londo Ruins. Wrong way? Ghosts are overwhelming me.

Yes lol, no need to go there yet! I assume you picked up Master Key as starting gift? That key opens too many shortcuts for later areas at the beginning of the game and confuse people a lot.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Seriously..I fell for the whole let's go to Londo ruins thing too. Who knew it's completely pointless to go there till extremely late in the game (I mean the actual inner ruins, not the shortcuts)..

I might be remembering totally wrong but I think some enemies can hurt other enemies. It doesn't appear to be very common though.

Edit: the wiki says Bounding Demons can hurt each other, for example. I also have a vague and possibly false memory of a big knight hurting some grunts in the Painted World. Oh yeah, and the Hydra in the Basin definitely can kill crystal golems.

Every enemy hurt each other in Demon's though, unless I'm remembering incorrectly. I miss that :(

It sucked they couldn't trigger the traps in Sen's Fortress, for example. I had to lure the in to the line of fire after they walked right over the switch.

You've made me doubt myself now but I was sure they did when I noticed enemies weren't in this game.

It happened more in Demon's, for sure.

Also, the Asylum Demon still destroys me. Mental boss.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You've made me doubt myself now but I was sure they did when I noticed enemies weren't in this game.

The Asylum Demon? Really? Beat that thing immediately..it's the same boss. They even reuse it later in the game. Really boring..roll back and circle strafe.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I finally beat the Stray Demon at level 61, full black iron armor, lightning claymore+4 and dark wood grain ring, and it still took several attempts. I probably could have done it earlier, but he destroyed me so badly the first time that I didn't bother going back until I was way more confident.

What I recommend is equipping the Crest Shield to mostly block his giant magic explosion if you happen to get caught in front of it, and just try to stay behind one of his thighs. He'll do the butt stomp, but that's easy to avoid. If he does the huge magic blast, you'll only have to back off a little bit if you're behind him. And the horizontal swing that also does a magic blast is fairly easy to avoid if you're up close and roll towards him. Basically you need to be close to him the whole time because at range he will destroy you.

The Asylum Demon? Really? Beat that thing immediately..it's the same boss. They even reuse it later in the game. Really boring..roll back and circle strafe.

If he's talking about the stray demon, it's obviously much more powerful in every way than the first boss of the game. If you don't have a decent weapon, it takes forever to chip away at him and the longer you fight the more likely you are to screw up and get hit extremely hard.

I either get killed quickly after dropping down (since I need to heal and can't find another way down to him) or after he knocks me down. If I get behind him I can get a good rhythm going, but then one of his attacks always gets me and it's game over.

I'm going to go to a few other things then come back to see if I can finally down the fat bastard.

Edit: Yeah, I meant the second fight with him.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I either get killed quickly after dropping down (since I need to heal and can't find another way down to him) or after he knocks me down. If I get behind him I can get a good rhythm going, but then one of his attacks always gets me and it's game over.

I'm going to go to a few other things then come back to see if I can finally down the fat bastard.

Edit: Yeah, I meant the second fight with him.

I found that if you fall in the right place and roll as you land towards the closest wall you have plenty of time to heal by estus before he engages you.

By the time I beat him I had enough stamina to block a physical blow without getting hurt which made the whole thing more forgiving. The first time I went there, there was no room for error and I gave up. I think I might have still had the Drake sword too, which did pitiful damage to him. There was basically no way I'd survive long enough to win.

I'm an expert

I wasn't talking about the first...or second fight with him... cough..

And yes the power is different but the moveset same. Also after you drop just run right behind you to a little a cubby and heal. One estus should get you back to full. Then when he yells for the AOE, roll back, run in, swipe, roll back, run in swipe, all while running in circles..like with every mob in the game..

I'm an expert

More like pretty decent at cheesing the same AI I spent a hundred hours with in Demon's..once you get it..you get it.. and it applies pretty much to everything in the game.

TheFatOne

So this is my first time playing Dark Souls. If I get the Drake Sword will it ruin the game? I googled how to get past the red dragon on the bridge and found out about the sword. I want to get it, but I don't want to break the game early.

Leunam

It won't last the whole game, honestly. If you don't want to depend on it, use it as a back up to get out of overwhelming situations.

Sullichin

Just beat S&O solo in NG+, with Ornstein last. That was fucking intense. Yesss. Now I can finally get his armor!

So this is my first time playing Dark Souls. If I get the Drake Sword will it ruin the game? I googled how to get past the red dragon on the bridge and found out about the sword. I want to get it, but I don't want to break the game early.

It doesn't break the game. I replaced it with a divine gargoyle's halberd pretty soon after getting it. It's probably the most powerful weapon you'll find for a little bit, but that's about it. I'd use it, no reason not to; just don't bother upgrading it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I have a great idea for the next Souls game!

there should be a new way of invading other people. Instead of invading other world with your own character, you will just posses one of the enemies in the level. But there won't be any way to tell for the invaded player about which regular enemy is being controlled by invader.

So invader could trick player by standing idle like other mobs. There is one disadvantage for invader, you will be using what the enemy mob has but then you have a great advantage of disguise. Since the invaded player won't expect a regular enemy to backstab him or use complex tactics in the middle of fight!

There should be some levels or restrictions for it. Maybe a level system etc. For example if the invader has a higher level he can posses a more tough enemy ie. one of those Black Knights.

Oh it would be fucking fun and hilarious.
I was thinking about this recently as well: how could they surprise us with new online concepts in the next game? (Boy, I hope there's a next game...)

Your idea is pretty cool. Maybe you could use in-game currency (souls or the like) to buy a 'reincarnation' as an enemy in another player's world. The more powerful enemies would be more expensive, etc.

It would take a TON more balancing (or much better matchmaking), though, as eventually people would just stop choosing the weak enemies at all, and I can imagine only one or two powerful enemies would be abused. Newbies coming to the game late would think "wow, what a neat idea! Let's try it..." only to get beaten horribly once and think of it as a waste of souls/time, making the whole thing obsolete.

It could also go the opposite way, with even the most powerful 'NPC players' being sussed and defeated easily by good players. Sure, they'd have the size, damage and HP going for them, but wouldn't they be stuck with the same low speed/lack of maneuverability?

It would be nice to see the Covenant concept play a bigger role next time, perhaps with more opportunities to team up with members from your Covenant and invade as a group - against another group of course.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

It definitely makes things easier for a little while, which I found to be a relief, frankly, after spending so much time in Undead Burg learning the ropes. It never felt like it was too easy, though, and it allowed me to do some exploring that I probably wouldn't have done otherwise so early in the game. You still have to fight carefully, even if enemies go down faster, so I'd say it doesn't change the dynamics of the combat that much.

If you get it and you find it ruins the challenge, you can always not use it or even drop it somewhere and lose it forever.

Jhoan

I played for several hours yesterday after grinding in the Darkroot Forest covenant area and I went from level 64-79. I beat Capra Demon (who was ridiculously easy) and the Moonlight Butterfly after my bro told me where it was which was easy too even though I almost died with no flasks left. Oh, and I took out the Hydra which was also surprisingly easy despite falling to my death two times.

I was going to fight Sif but then I read that you need high stamina or the Eagle Shield (which I don't have). I think I should more than strong enough to take him out without the Eagle Shield.

I tried to fight the Stray Demon but he kept kicking my ass but now that I read the strategy here (I'm still using the Drake sword as my main weapon as well and the soul arrows on the side), I don't think he should be that bad.

I also tried going into Blighttown but the freakin' toxic effect keeps killing me so it's keeping me from proceeding through the area. My brother told me that you can get a spell that removes Toxic in the New Londo Ruins where the ghosts are. But I ran out of Transient Curses so I'm forced to use the crappy Jagged Ghost Blade to take them out unless I grind for souls to buy some.

79 sounds way overpowered for what you're doing. I've done more and I'm about 50 (did Capra around 25, for example).

I'm impressed/puzzled you're such a high level having done relatively so little.

More like pretty decent at cheesing the same AI I spent a hundred hours with in Demon's..once you get it..you get it.. and it applies pretty much to everything in the game.
I guess I don't pay as much attention. I just try and react when I see the enemies attacking, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It's more fun like that, I think.

I'm probably not cautious enough at times, I'll happily admit. I get a bit too slash happy every now and again!

roxya

As invading kept failing, and because my build is fucking awful for PvP, I decided to just get my souvenirs from the crows in the painted world. Took two hours to get 9 (actually 10, but one of the corpses fell off the stairs ¬_¬)... which is actually far less painful than I expected!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I played for several hours yesterday after grinding in the Darkroot Forest covenant area and I went from level 64-79. I beat Capra Demon (who was ridiculously easy) and the Moonlight Butterfly after my bro told me where it was which was easy too even though I almost died with no flasks left. Oh, and I took out the Hydra which was also surprisingly easy despite falling to my death two times.

I was going to fight Sif but then I read that you need high stamina or the Eagle Shield (which I don't have). I think I should more than strong enough to take him out without the Eagle Shield.

I tried to fight the Stray Demon but he kept kicking my ass but now that I read the strategy here (I'm still using the Drake sword as my main weapon as well and the soul arrows on the side), I don't think he should be that bad.

I also tried going into Blighttown but the freakin' toxic effect keeps killing me so it's keeping me from proceeding through the area. My brother told me that you can get a spell that removes Toxic in the New Londo Ruins where the ghosts are. But I ran out of Transient Curses so I'm forced to use the crappy Jagged Ghost Blade to take them out unless I grind for souls to buy some.

You need blooming purple moss to cure toxin, which is pretty easy to get from the tree monsters in Darkroot Garden. You can also equip the spider shield and shadow armor set to increase poison resistance. The toxin effect is caused by darts, and the dart blowers don't respawn when you kill them, so you just have to power through.

You should be able to beat Sif without the eagle shield; dodging is just as important as blocking.

roxya

I don't believe there is any spell that cures toxin.

Go to the forest and farm the tree enemies for moss. One of the moss types will cure toxin (the "blooming" / white one). You shouldn't need too many. The enemies that cause toxin won't respawn after you kill them, which should make it easier to progress.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't believe there is any spell that cures toxin.

Go to the forest and farm the tree enemies for moss. One of the moss types will cure toxin (the "blooming" / white one). You shouldn't need too many. The enemies that cause toxin won't respawn after you kill them, which should make it easier to progress.

Remedy sounds like it does, but I've never used it so I don't know for sure. In any case, if that's the spell he's talking about, it's not in New Londo Ruins, it's in Blighttown (according to wiki).

I was invaded by Havel the Rock last week. As in, his gametag was Havel the Rock and he had Havel's full set, Dragon Tooth included. He kicked my ass, but it was hilarious.

Haha, I was thinking about doing that. Not with Havel, but to create a new account with a Dark Souls-specific name. In fact, I think that's going to be my first post-patch build.

I'm an expert

No it's not. Going there early is integral as it lets you be a darkwraith the second you start the game

So..early in your first run..you went down there..got past all the ghosts and up the elevator.. killed the npc..unlocked the boss fight..killed the kings..and joined the darkwraiths..

Did you bow to the npc before you killed him at least?

Kazzy

So..early in your first run..you went down there..got past all the ghosts and up the elevator.. killed the npc..unlocked the boss fight..killed the kings..and joined the darkwraiths..

Did you bow to the npc before you killed him at least?

I was going to say, you can't even get to that boss without the ring can you? Or the Lordvessel for that matter.

roxya

Remedy sounds like it does, but I've never used it so I don't know for sure. In any case, if that's the spell he's talking about, it's not in New Londo Ruins, it's in Blighttown (according to wiki).

I read the description and thought it just did poison, but it does say "various poisonous effects", so it probably does remove toxin :)

I'm an expert

I was going to say, you can't even get to that boss without the ring can you? Or the Lordvessel for that matter.

You can get the ring fairly early if you have the master key and go past Havel / the hydra. I'm not saying it's impossible, just fairly unlikely unless you've been told every step beforehand by a guide. To stumble on that on your first run..especially killing the red NPC for the key..yeah..no

For the love of god, can anyone give me an easier strategy for The Four Kings? I've tried equipping heavy armor, two-handing, and casting Steel Flesh, but I'm still finding it to be fucking impossible. Now I'm just going back in with varying degrees of heavy armor (I generally travel light) to no avail. This last time I killed one, and then the second king did that magic burst three times in a row.

I'm definitely not under-leveled.

For the love of god, can anyone give me an easier strategy for The Four Kings? I've tried equipping heavy armor, two-handing, and casting Steel Flesh, but I'm still finding it to be fucking impossible. Now I'm just going back in with varying degrees of heavy armor (I generally travel light) to no avail. This last time I killed one, and then the second king did that magic burst three times in a row.
I'm definitely not under-leveled.

What weapon are you using? Perhaps try equipping the grass crest shield on your back and taking some green grass for added stamina regen. This combo with Lightning Iato +5, Havel's armor + antiquated skirt made the fight a breeze. Too easy actually.

What weapon are you using? Perhaps try equipping the grass crest shield on your back and taking some green grass for added stamina regen. This combo with Lightning Iato +5, Havel's armor + antiquated skirt made the fight a breeze. Too easy actually.

I'm using a +2 Black Knight Sword and Havel's Armor. Lightning Iato = Lightning Spear?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm using a +2 Black Knight Sword. By Antiquated Skirt, do you mean the Gold-Hemmed Black Skirt? Because I have that, and Havel's armor. Lightning Iato = Lightning Spear?

+2 Black Knight sword is weaker than just about any weapon upgraded to elemental damage (unless you have massive strength stats?). A lightning Claymore at +2 does twice that much damage (split between physical and elemental).

You need to invest in a better weapon.

The Iaito is a katana and the antiquated skirt is different from the gold hemmed skirt.

I'm an expert

I'm using a +2 Black Knight Sword and Havel's Armor. Lightning Iato = Lightning Spear?

If you mean the 1h black knight sword that was my main weapon through the whole game, but even 2h it's far too weak for the kings. Unless you have 50str..

+2 Black Knight sword is weaker than just about any weapon upgraded to elemental damage (unless you have massive strength stats?). A lightning Claymore at +2 does twice that much damage (split between physical and elemental).

You need to invest in a better weapon.

The Iaito is a katana and the antiquated skirt is different from the gold hemmed skirt.

What would you recommend I seek out? I have the Dragon Tooth, and I'm tempted to hit 40 STR to use it one-handed.

I just tried again with the lightning spear, and got VERY close.

tokkun

As invading kept failing, and because my build is fucking awful for PvP, I decided to just get my souvenirs from the crows in the painted world.

Don't write off PvP just because you haven't min-maxed your build. There are a lot of very effective weapons you can wield with 16 STR and 12 DEX.

TheBear

Anyone have a link to that page which explain the ending & lore etc.?
I just finished it, but didn't really get an ending to speak of. It just.. ended. WTF?

I'm an expert

Anyone have a link to that page which explain the ending & lore etc.?
I just finished it, but didn't really get an ending to speak of. It just.. ended. WTF?

There's two endings..just like Demon's. Either you take over as the new end boss of the game, or you don't. They're exactly the same. In essence, the end of both games is "the world continues just as it was, except now you're not so weak". Doesn't really need to be a giant cutscene or gobs of text to let you know in the end you haven't really done a thing to affect the world. Look out at the vistas from the castles in both games..endless, desolate, nothing. Flowers and shit don't sprout up all of a sudden just cause you won.

TheBear

There's two endings..just like Demon's. Either you take over as the new end boss of the game, or you don't. They're exactly the same. In essence, the end of both games is "the world continues just as it was, except now you're not so weak". Doesn't really need to be a giant cutscene or gobs of text to let you know in the end you haven't really done a thing to affect the world. Look out at the vistas from the castles in both games..endless, desolate, nothing. Flowers and shit don't sprout up all of a sudden just cause you won.

I understand there's two endings. But I didn't get any. I lit the bonfire and the credits rolled. Did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom