• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is for Demon's Souls, but for Dark Souls they're both quite incomplete at the moment

I've been using both wikispaces and wikidot

When they're both fully fleshed out, wikidot will be better than wikispaces just because it is organized much better.

But really, FuturePress guide > All.

scosher

Always pick up the dusk oolacile stuff as early as possible, once you get her stuff, I recommend the antiquted skirt, gloves, and armour of favour over the crimson set for curse resist....you bascially get a bar a mile long AND the frogs will barely give you a sliver on it....plus its a damn good skirt for magic resist and lightnign as well.....I am not surprised ts getting nerfed but it well worth 8-10 twinkling titanite as you will be able to buy those post patch anyway.

Another good combo for curse resist in 2 slots is Dingy Robes and Antiquated Skirt. Dingy Robes is also one of the better light armor chestpieces in 1.05, so you don't need to swap it out like you do with the Antiquated Skirt.

Right guys.

Currently using:
Drake Sword (200)
Spear +4 (112)
Crystal Shield

I'm feeling like the Drake Sword and Spear are no longer doing the type of damage I want them to. What would be a good weapon to upgrade out of these? They all have damage that is nowhere near the 200 of the Drake Sword so I'm not sure they're good choices. I have:

Claymore (103)
Scimitar +1 (88)
Falchion (82)

Those seem like the best choice. Should I power one of them up to +10 to see amazing results or wait a bit to find a better weapon to upgrade? I've just
rung both of the bells
to give you an idea of how far in I am.

Cheers!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Right guys.

Currently using:
Drake Sword (200)
Spear +4 (112)
Crystal Shield

I'm feeling like the Drake Sword and Spear are no longer doing the type of damage I want them to. What would be a good weapon to upgrade out of these? They all have damage that is nowhere near the 200 of the Drake Sword so I'm not sure they're good choices. I have:

Claymore (103)
Scimitar +1 (88)
Falchion (82)

Those seem like the best choice. Should I power one of them up to +10 to see amazing results or wait a bit to find a better weapon to upgrade? I've just
rung both of the bells
to give you an idea of how far in I am.

Cheers!

Upgrading stuff to around 10 will definitely out dmg the Drake assuming your stat bonuses are helping. You're about to go to Sen's, where you'll find the lightning spear everyone seems to rave about. I mean, statwise it is good, but I personally didn't use it.

Oh, I might wait for that then. See what it's like!

Sen's is where the Drake is starting to feel weak. I really have to spam the enemies to get them down with it. Those lizards take a beating!

The thing is I don't want to upgrade some of them only to find something better soon and have them be underpowered. I want one that will last as long as possible, like the Drake has.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Sen's is where the Drake is starting to feel weak. I really have to spam the enemies to get them down with it. Those lizards take a beating!

Yeah 200 on those lizards isn't much. I think I ran through with a Raw Gargoyle Axe+5 at that point. The lightning spear does obliterate everything in Sen's, it's just if you're already invested in a weapon you have it's not worth throwing it away just for the spear.

Assuming you're upgrading to the max and allocating your stats to help the weapon, there really isn't a point where things get "weak" persay. If you run around the game with a spear+3, then yes, you'll find stronger stuff simply because the game will give you stuff upgraded past +3. The reason the Drake sword gets weak is it has no stat bonuses. Choose a weapon that fits your build and you could play the whole game without changing it.

Yeah the no stat bonuses really hurts it, unfortunately.

Okay, I think I'm going to wait for the spear to see if I like it and if not I'll pick a sword I have :) I'm probably overthinking it but I don't want to waste a lot of resources on a "wrong" choice, so it's nice to know I can't really go wrong with it.

Cheers!

scosher

The thing is I don't want to upgrade some of them only to find something better soon and have them be underpowered. I want one that will last as long as possible, like the Drake has.

Lightning Spear should be better than whatever weapon you have when you acquire it, but if you don't like the spear moveset, don't bother wasting titanite chunks upgrading it. Wait till you get to the blacksmith shortly after that can ascend +10 weapons to lightning (no ember required for it). Once you do that, you can actually downgrade your Lightning Spear to Spear +10 and use it to immediately make a boss weapon if you want (they suck though)

I ventured into Sen's today too...so we're neck and neck. I've defeated 4 Black Knights so far...theres two in the Asylum and 1 dropped their Halbred. Black Knight Halbred I think it's called. Gonna use that...need 1 more Dex and like 5 strength as it's 32/18 to wield I believe.

Lightning Spear should be better than whatever weapon you have when you acquire it, but if you don't like the spear moveset, don't bother wasting titanite chunks upgrading it. Wait till you get to the blacksmith shortly after that can ascend +10 weapons to lightning (no ember required for it). Once you do that, you can actually downgrade your Lightning Spear to Spear +10 and use it to immediately make a boss weapon if you want (they suck though)
I actually really like the spear (hence upgrading the one I have a bit) and only stopped using it once I got the Drake sword, so I'm inclined to think I'll like it a lot :)

I'm an expert

Yeah the no stat bonuses really hurts it, unfortunately.

Okay, I think I'm going to wait for the spear to see if I like it and if not I'll pick a sword I have :) I'm probably overthinking it but I don't want to waste a lot of resources on a "wrong" choice, so it's nice to know I can't really go wrong with it.

Cheers!

Nah, not overthinking it, but you can't really waste resources in the game. At least once the patch hits you can buy infinite resources to basically make anything +10 (including twinkling) and then you can choose how you want to use your colored stones. But the ore drops like crazy by the end of the game..really it's only the slabs you only get a limited amount of.

I'm not saying upgrade random stuff blindly, just that if you're say a dex build..try out a spear, katana, rapier and see which one feels best. They will all work off your dex and then you're getting the best bang for your buck. Also the unique weapons with the right stat requirements will usually always be great.

I ventured into Sen's today too...so we're neck and neck. I've defeated 4 Black Knights so far...theres two in the Asylum and 1 dropped their Halbred. Black Knight Halbred I think it's called. Gonna use that...need 1 more Dex and like 5 strength as it's 32/18 to wield I believe.
Yeah I have a Halbred because I've been to the Asylum but I don't really like the axe moves. Don't think it fits my combat style. I'm a sword/spear man.

It also over encumbers me at the moment, and I rely on swift movements.

Nah, not overthinking it, but you can't really waste resources in the game. At least once the patch hits you can buy infinite resources to basically make anything +10 (including twinkling) and then you can choose how you want to use your colored stones. But the ore drops like crazy by the end of the game..really it's only the slabs you only get a limited amount of.

I'm not saying upgrade random stuff blindly, just that if you're say a dex build..try out a spear, katana, rapier and see which one feels best. They will all work off your dex and then you're getting the best bang for your buck. Also the unique weapons with the right stat requirements will usually always be great.
Good to know. I won't wait long before pimping out a weapon :D

one85x

I think the lizards in Sen's just have a high physical resistance. Divine weapons can easily tear them apart, otherwise it's just best to go for backstabs.

Yeah it's important to try lots of different things. By the time I finally finished my first game I had almost 20 +10 normal or +5/10 elemental weapons, just to see what I liked. I never found a love more perfect ten my fury sword +5 :/

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I had the same thoughts about my weapon upgrading, and I recommend you use the lightning spear until you get to the Anor Londo blacksmith and then upgrade whatever weapon you like to lightning power. There are many choices that will end up stronger than the spear.

It's true that eventually the upgrade materials will be very easy to come by, but that's so close to the end of the game that it's sort of a moot point. It's great for preparing for NG+, but obviously you want to go through this playthrough with a powerful weapon you like. Well, I should qualify that. Don't worry about spending normal and large titanite shards. Those are easy to farm in the Blighttown swamp. Chunks will be hard to get for a long time, so once you're upgrading from +10, you need to be selective.

Also, if you haven't, be sure to get the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring in Sen's. It boosts item drops.

I'm an expert

By the way random question..

Is there some reference to the word "Kiln" in the English version of the game? I can't find it in the Japanese version and the name of the last area is simply called "Door to the First Flame". WTF is Kiln.

edit: Holy shit..it's an English word..wtf..the English localization of this game is so weird..really odd translations..

Is there some reference to the word "Kiln" in the English version of the game? I can't find it in the Japanese version and the name of the last area is simply called "Door to the First Flame". WTF is Kiln.

Kiln is a synonym for furnace.

So effectively the title is Furnace of the First Flame.

So there's a lot of talk on GameFAQs about the three hidden items in the game's code. A Lift Chamber Key, a Lost Miracle called Escape from Death, and a version of the Black Eye Orb that seems to target Shiva of the East. Was Shiva originally going to have a larger role?

Anyway, what I want to know is if it's possible to
kill Seathe in Duke's Archives (the first fight). Yeah, his health regenerates, but how fast? If one did the infinite rapid-bomb glitch, might it be possible to kill him? I mean you get a special item if you manage to kill Stray Demon in the first fight, perhaps this has something similar.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

A kiln is an oven designed for drying/baking/hardening/cremating things. Like clay pottery for example.

Odd bit of speculation here about New Londo and the Darksign but...

The Crestfallen Warrior states that New Londo was once an "undead city." Meaning that it might have been founded by undead. Gwyn gave the Four Kings of New Londo a part of his Lord Soul sometime before he left to link the fire. Now, if the undead existed during his lifetime, before he went to link the fire, and continued to exist after he linked the fire then linking the fire has no effect on the Darksign's existence.

J-Roderton

Where is this key to get to the Capra Demon? I just rang the first bell after the gargoyles and went to the bonfire in Darkroot Garden but I kinda think I should take out the Capra Demon first.

I'm an expert

Where is this key to get to the Capra Demon? I just rang the first bell after the gargoyles and went to the bonfire in Darkroot Garden but I kinda think I should take out the Capra Demon first.

Gate in front of the church.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Son of a bitch fuck the Bed of Chaos. I manage to help someone beat the whole level up to that part, we crack the first orb and I got swept into a hole on the way to the second. Sucks that the person I was with didn't speak English since I told him/her to crack one while I went to the other but he/she didn't respond.

Son of a bitch fuck the Bed of Chaos. I manage to help someone beat the whole level up to that part, we crack the first orb and I got swept into a hole on the way to the second. Sucks that the person I was with didn't speak English since I told him/her to crack one while I went to the other but he/she didn't respond.

That fight is so lame. Every time I do it I play it safe and just snipe the orbs with a bow. And even that isn't a guarantee of success. The only other boss I still cheese is Seath because he is incredibly boring, unchallenging and his health pool is stupidly inflated at NG+++++++.

2AdEPT

tokkun, and anyone else who did a lowbie run, how did you get past Four Kings? I've yet to get the kindling rite so my flask is at 10 chugs. I'm going to try to Crystal Ring Shield cheese them with Beatrice tonight, but man that's a tough fight without having a decent amount of health or the strength to two-hand a powerful weapon.

Side question, what's the hardest hitting weapon that requires 24 str? That's the max I could go for a stat req as my str is currently 16. I'm using a +4 FDS. Even with Iron Flesh and full Havels it's still too much for my puny health bar.

can you hold the lightning spear? This weapon made short work of kings in regular game....just went in close two hand and went to town (mash R1).....i realize I probably was a much higher level, but for bang for buck as a lowbie i doubt you could do any better than lightning spear. by continuously hitting with lower damage you interrupt their attacks and they don't attack much crystal ring shield affords them too much time to wind up....wear the antiquated skirt for magic protect and this won't hurt your stamina like havel's.........make sure to stack your stamina regen......grass shield, green moss, and the child's mask all stack with cloranthy ring.....would this be a reasonable time to dust of the ring of favour and protection?

Aselith

So, I got Kings Field 4 and 2 in today and both of them have a well in the starting area that you'll die if you jump down! I think that well in the Dark Souls hub area may be a Kings Field call back. Kings Field 5 inc!

2AdEPT

Yes, but I used Lightning, because it does an even split between physical and lightning (so does fire and chaos), but Quelaag's, as an example, does more fire than physical, and would as that be better than a Fire/Chaos/Lightning, because you get more from having one do more damage than both do equal.

These are the sub-categories of physical resistance, but all physical damage only does ONE type of physical damage. Swords do slash, clubs do strike, rapiers etc do pierce. There's no multiple check there.

That's why I went through the math to show you how it works when resistances are exactly the same, and then to go on to show how it might normally be. Both show generally when the AR is 20% lower than the combined if a two element hitting weapon (250/-/-/250 means you need 400 in physical to out-damage it against most opponents

This is why the math is important. The reason why it seems like this is because the higher one damage type is (and up to 10 humanity increases fire damage, and nothing else), the less resistance will make a difference.

No

Why would you go +15 when the enemy has high physical resistance?

If you'd read my calculations in my last post, you'd seen that it's actually the complete opposite. The less resistance an enemy has, the more damage a two-way split weapon will do. Of course split might be an overall easier way of getting through the game, but it is rarely the optimal.

Again, see above

If you check the link to my huge post in my previous post, it's a post where I do calculations on how good resistance rings are, and you'll see that resistance does very little in negating damage in normal play. If you put on the ring, you'll likely last 0.3 hits more, so it won't really be a life saver. Run with Favor and Protection ring and Mask of a mother for highest survivability, as you will survive way more hits with even only the favor and protection ring than any resistance ring will ever do. They're generally a waste of a ring slot. Even if you wear Havel's Ring instead you can easily get way more resistance and still be light than you could with a resistance ring.

thanks for your effort!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
It seems like you, Foliorum Viridum and I are fairly close. I just finished Sen's and explored Anor Londo a bit. The opening vista to Anor Londo is stunning...
I was initially peeved at finding the Lightning Spear was better than the Spear I had been using and upgrading to +9 up until I got there. But if it got me that far, and I'm enjoying the spear moveset then what's to dislike? Means I can try another upgrade path to experiment with, or at the very least nab a trophy! Unless you're seriously number crunching and playing super-reserved, you can't really "waste" stuff, seeing as you can usually use the help (especially on your first time through).

I'm an expert

Man I said I'd take a break from this game and play BF3 and other stuff..but I just couldn't help but start my NG+ and run through everything.

Got invaded at the church by a TERRIBLE pvper but he. fuckin. had. like. 3000. hp. I blasted him with fire and my katan at least 10x for like 3-400 a hit and he was still alive. Horrible. Eventually some mobs in the church got me..he couldn't even touch me..sigh.. So far every boss is 3 shots of my pyro and dead.

It seems like you, Foliorum Viridum and I are fairly close. I just finished Sen's and explored Anor Londo a bit. The opening vista to Anor Londo is stunning...

I was initially peeved at finding the Lightning Spear was better than the Spear I had been using and upgrading to +9 up until I got there. But if it got me that far, and I'm enjoying the spear moveset then what's to dislike? Means I can try another upgrade path to experiment with, or at the very least nab a trophy! Unless you're seriously number crunching and playing super-reserved, you can't really "waste" stuff, seeing as you can usually use the help (especially on your first time through).
We're all addicts! I've put in nearly 25 hours over the last few days. Would've been more were it not for Zelda.

When I say "waste" what I really mean is I like to spend souls on items and leveling up, and I don't want to grind for titanite. I just wanted to be assured I could take most weapons and turn them bad ass so I didn't spend a lot of resources only for them to not be that much good. I want to spend as much time as possible actually progressing rather than trying to collect stuff to beef up weapons.

I feel glad now, because after this thread and reading up on the Lightning Spear it's definitely something I should wait for it would seem.

Wait, why does this game unlock the level cap in PvP ?

having SL250 invade a SL25 sounds pretty dumb

What was wrong with Demon's Souls system ?

2AdEPT

Yeah I have a Halbred because I've been to the Asylum but I don't really like the axe moves. Don't think it fits my combat style. I'm a sword/spear man.

It also over encumbers me at the moment, and I rely on swift movements.

Good to know. I won't wait long before pimping out a weapon :D

You will like the lightning spear if you like the the move-type...the damage is much better than drake and hits harder as the resistance to lightning is weak in most enemies. It will carry you through to when you want to make a real sword, or whatever, but you will have to choose a path either through dex or strength, likely, magic or faith is also an option but sounds like you are not a magic user type. I am doing just fine in NG+ using no scaling weapons (choas great scythe doesn't scale with anything other than humanity, furysowrd is similar.) The move set of these weapons is the attraction, not the sheer total attack damge...but they hit hard as well. The murakomo (?sp) has an incredible stun block feature that obliterated me in the last PVP sessions I had, it is supposed to be a dex weapon but going elemental makes the scaling irrelevant. I tried the zweihander for a while with my strength/faith character, as my demon mage from demon souls had a similar moveset, but it was not as easy to wield as the great sword was in demon's even with lots of stamina (i think great sword and bonecrusher were too powerful in demon's).....lots of choices, infinite really, which is why I am sticking with the elementals currently....the hybrid crossover of builds!!!!!

Septimius

Wait, why does this game unlock the level cap in PvP ?

having SL250 invade a SL25 sounds pretty dumb

What was wrong with Demon's Souls system ?

It's the other way around, and I like it. I invaded three level 200 today with my 120 character. They were standing ready to pound me, and killed me near instantaneously two times, before I managed to kill them one by one the last time. Rarely been more satisfied by something I did in a game.

Odd bit of speculation here about New Londo and the Darksign but...

The Crestfallen Warrior states that New Londo was once an "undead city." Meaning that it might have been founded by undead. Gwyn gave the Four Kings of New Londo a part of his Lord Soul sometime before he left to link the fire. Now, if the undead existed during his lifetime, before he went to link the fire, and continued to exist after he linked the fire then linking the fire has no effect on the Darksign's existence.

I think that's a little shaky. Remember, Gwyn left for the Kiln at least a thousand years ago (as that's how long Frampt has been waiting for a successor to Gwyn and the Flame didn't start to wane immediately after Gwyn sacrificed himself), and New Londo was flooded a good deal after that. It's probably that the Crestfallen Warrior just doesn't have any frame of reference otherwise, or New Londo was an Undead city so long that that's what he thinks of it as- after all, London was founded by the Romans, but nobody calls it an Italian city. It's definitely possible, though.

It doesn't help that the game doesn't really have any definite timeline and the dates are incredibly vague, outside of a few comments Quelana and Frampt make.

It's the other way around, and I like it. I invaded three level 200 today with my 120 character. They were standing ready to pound me, and killed me near instantaneously two times, before I managed to kill them one by one the last time. Rarely been more satisfied by something I did in a game.

Nah, it's still bad to match grossly uneven players especially in an rpg where levels and stats matter so much.

From both what I experienced and read DeS has a better online implementation. The covenant stuff is cool and a step in the right track though and hopefully they'll nail it in the third "Souls" game.

2AdEPT

I think that's a little shaky. Remember, Gwyn left for the Kiln at least a thousand years ago (as that's how long Frampt has been waiting for a successor to Gwyn and the Flame didn't start to wane immediately after Gwyn sacrificed himself), and New Londo was flooded a good deal after that. It's probably that the Crestfallen Warrior just doesn't have any frame of reference otherwise- after all, London was founded by the Romans, but nobody calls it an Italian city. It's definitely possible, though.

It doesn't help that the game doesn't really have any definite timeline and the dates are incredibly vague, outside of a few comments Quelana and Frampt make.

I am not convinced that there is a story behind all this.....I can see the developer saying to himself...." give them enough so they can make their own theories etc. but remain aloof enough not to have to really make something that ties it all together." It s the old songwriter's mantra...each listener will find their own story in it anyway so why give specifics? Let's face it, it was worse in demon's souls, and only better in dark in a minor way....the truth is that we really are not given enough to piece together a real story....therefore we can't say it is bad one. Throw a few dragon's and knights and giants together, with some unique characters, like a firekeeper and there you have it. Its not going to be a Lord of the Rings. I would like there to be a story along with this series as much as the next guy, but I refuse to be duped into believing that there really is one in this series so far. Loose references and colloquial allusions ARE the story on purpose to hide that there isn't really one. Sorry if that's a debbie downer, but seems like the most logical answer.

pmj

I didn't realize that turning Anor Londo dark would open me up to PvP even though I already beat Smough and Ornstein. I barely made it down the stairs from S&O before I was invaded right in front of me, and promptly killed.

My first PvP battle that will also be my last, because I'm "opting out" by pulling the network cable. I won't give the game another chance to arbitrarily ruin what I'm currently doing as well as waste my time and my very limited resources. Feels shitty that I'll never see another ghost or message though.

I've read a lot about cheesing in PvP, but the invader seemed roughly my level and fought fairly, so at least there's that.

So, excluding the poorly designed cheapness that is
Bed of Chaos,
, what is everybody's least favorite boss?

My vote goes to the
Four Kings.
Super boring, zero fun, just tank them with heavy armor and Iron Flesh then hit them with your biggest stick until they die, and hope the other ones don't come in for a gangbang when you're focused on one. Just a terrible fight. There's not even any pretty setpeices, just you, the Void, and Those of the Really Dry Skin.

Dresden

So, excluding the poorly designed cheapness that is
Bed of Chaos,
, what is everybody's least favorite boss?

My vote goes to the
Four Kings.
Super boring, zero fun, just tank them with heavy armor and Iron Flesh then hit them with your biggest stick until they die, and hope the other ones don't come in for a gangbang when you're focused on one. Just a terrible fight. There's not even any pretty setpeices, just you, the Void, and Those of the Really Dry Skin.

Agree with all of the above. Also the run back is really annoying too, even if you do the firelink - drop down - sprint to the door thing.

gamelova

Is there any way of obtaining the dark wood grain ring without having to break the forest hunter covenant. I don't want to have to pay 200,000 souls for absolution

I'm going to take on Havel The Rock tomorrow. Any pointers?

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge.

Seriously, though, take off all your armor- it doesn't matter, as the Dragon's Tooth is a one-hit-kill- and dodge his swings, circle around, and backstab. Make sure you time it right, though, as he can track you fairly well. You can parry, but I wouldn't risk it, as the window is smaller than rolling and, again, instant death if he connects.

J-Roderton

Circle around him with no armor on and backstab him whenever he misses the swing. Stick close.

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge.

Seriously, though, take off all your armor- it doesn't matter, as the Dragon's Tooth is a one-hit-kill- and dodge his swings, circle around, and backstab. Make sure you time it right, though, as he can track you fairly well. You can parry, but I wouldn't risk it, as the window is smaller than rolling and, again, instant death if he connects.

No armor? Makes sense as he beat my ass into a pulp the first time I ran into him by mistake.

How is Drake Sword against him? Either way I guess I should deff go for the backstabs, then.

Thanks.

I'm an expert

Lost 400k souls and 10 humanity today. Fuck this game.

Crystal caves arent so bad by the way. Dont understand all the hate.

Crystal caves is super short..just don't forget the blue slab. The bridges are way too easy with all the online messages.

.GqueB.

Banned
Crystal caves is super short..just don't forget the blue slab. The bridges are way too easy with all the online messages.
Yea I got that. I feel Im missing stuff though. Apparently theres a golden golem somewhere. Missed a bunch of stuff in the archives too. Gotta go back. Missed stuff the the tomb of the giants too but Im never going back there.

This game doesnt really promote exploration like the last game did. Theres a lot more "Well I dont wanna do that shit again" in this game. Unfortunate.

I'm an expert

The gold golem would have been right in the middle of the forest outside of the entrance to CC. I'm not sure if she's there if you aren't up on the Seigmeyer quest or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom