• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GqueB.

Banned
TommyT said:
Friend of mine found this out the hard way. Told him to get it but he has like 8 INT. "No matter" we thought, "you can still help in the Tomb of the Giants, just stay close." Pfft... NOPE! Fucking bullcrap. I have a giant light above my head, how can he not see it?!

2AdEPT

Mortrialus said:
Lantern is the worst possible way you could attempt it. You don't get the lantern until after the worst part of the zone, as far as dark is concerned.

I would do:

Duke's Archives
Anor Londo
Chaos Covenant Shortcut Lost Izalith
Tomb of the Giants
I agree. I was forced to do it this way as my one character killed the dusk lady by mistake while fighting golems. BUt cast light spell is a reasonable alternative if demon's ruins is too tough for a lower level character that has not given the loredvessel.

roxya

hey_it's_that_dog said:
It seems like Tomb of Giants might be the easiest place to start, but I kinda want the sunlight maggot before I go there so I don't have to juggle the lantern. Or is dealing with the lantern not as big a pain as I'm imagining?

Can you use Cast Light (sorcery)? I personally won't go there without that or the sunlight maggot.

Other than that, you can do them in whatever order. 4 kings is probably the only one that can be really difficult as far as the boss fight goes. All of their zones are a bit annoying, although you get used to New Londo after going there a few times, and I didn't mind The Duke's Archives.

TommyT

.GqueB. said:
Friend of mine found this out the hard way. Told him to get it but he has like 8 INT. "No matter" we thought, "you can still help in the Tomb of the Giants, just stay close." Pfft... NOPE! Fucking bullcrap. I have a giant light above my head, how can he not see it?!

:lol :lol that's pretty good! Though I guess he could just walk exactly where you walk :O

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
alright just went like 10 and 0 being invaded as opposed to 340 when I was invading.. it just seems to match you with much more similar level people when being invaded (for me).. I had a crazy guy spamming that force/god spell and almost had me even though he looked like he was wearing nothing..this pvp is way better than invading SL300 people

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Not needed for the trophy if that's the reason you wanted it. Combustion/Great Combustion pyromancies work very well against them even in NG+. I never got that catch pole to drop though :/
Oh hot damn, that's a rare drop?? I shall consider myself lucky then!

Any thoughts on putting it to use?
I'm already reinforcing a couple of weapons to +10 in order to use the boss souls on them, while I've got my Spear+9 on the go, a Divine Falcion+2 for the Catacombs.
Spreading titanite too thin is probably not a good idea, unless the Catch Pole is truly worth it.

In other news, I got creamed by the first boss in Demon Ruins, so ventured down to the bottom of Great Hollow, defeated the
Hydra
in Ash Lake, and fist bumped with the old
Everlasting Dragon
. Considering my internet situation and my current build, I figure this covenant's mix of PvE/PvP should be worth my while.

Got cursed along the way, and had to venture into New Londo Ruins... met
Ingward
and got cured so I can finally continue with Sen's Fortress properly.

All of the Lower-Blighttown stuff seemed like a long-winded detour, but at least I got to see more of the world and nabbed some cool items. This game is ridiculous. Just keeps sprawling into something new.

Kweh

What's a good weapon for a Pyro to use? I created the Lifehunt Scythe but am disappointed with it's negative effects. I'm thinking Queelag's Firesword perhaps?

Oh hot damn, that's a rare drop?? I shall consider myself lucky then!

Any thoughts on putting it to use?
I'm already reinforcing a couple of weapons to +10 in order to use the boss souls on them, while I've got my Spear+9 on the go, a Divine Falcion+2 for the Catacombs.
Spreading titanite too thin is probably not a good idea, unless the Catch Pole is truly worth it.

In other news, I got creamed by the first boss in Demon Ruins, so ventured down to the bottom of Great Hollow, defeated the
Hydra
in Ash Lake, and fist bumped with the old
Everlasting Dragon
. Considering my internet situation and my current build, I figure this covenant's mix of PvE/PvP should be worth my while.

Got cursed along the way, and had to venture into New Londo Ruins... met
Ingward
and got cured so I can finally continue with Sen's Fortress properly.

All of the Lower-Blighttown stuff seemed like a long-winded detour, but at least I got to see more of the world and nabbed some cool items. This game is ridiculous. Just keeps sprawling into something new.

I'm about the same spot. Destroyed Queelag who has to be the easiest boss so far. Went to Great Hollow and made it to Big Mushroom who kicked my ass. Got cursed by frogs, thankfully I had 1 extra curse transformation thanks to trading with Snuggly. So I decided to leave. Go back and put on crimson set now that I know its decent against curse(I think). Still haven't done Darkroot Basin or Return to Asylum.

How do I get back to lower bonfire in Blighttown through the back? I tried before but resorted to a bone. The wheel lift only works for 1 direction. My guess is to go to wheel lift and jump down to platform on the other side but that might not even work.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
used the downtime to beat the game..91 hours..87% trophies..decent first run!

scosher

How do I get back to lower bonfire in Blighttown through the back? I tried before but resorted to a bone. The wheel lift only works for 1 direction. My guess is to go to wheel lift and jump down to platform on the other side but that might not even work.

Lift works both ways.

Guys, guys, guys.

I GOT OUT OF BLIGHTTOWN.

news-graphics-2008-_659690a.jpg

Fuck you and your shitty framerate and annoying toxins. Horrible area.

However, I felt like such a bad ass with the boss. I used all of my Great Heavy Soul Arrows but that only did about 25% of her total health, so from there it was just rolling around and swiping with my Drake Sword. It was really intense choosing when to go for a blow or when to play it safe and guard with my shield etc, but after a few attempts I got her. I know it's not a particularly hard boss, but I felt like it took a lot of skill I had accumulated throughout the game and it was very satisfying to do.

So, needless to say, I'm looking forward to getting to my next area now... I just have to decide where that is!

I'm an expert

I know it's not a particularly hard boss, but I felt like it took a lot of skill I had accumulated throughout the game and it was very satisfying to do.

This is really what these games are about. Gathering all the experience you get from the game and seeing it flourish in the face of a boss.

Yeah, I feel like I've got back to the same sort of skill level that I was at when I finished Demon's Souls now. Takes quite a while to get back in to it.

Well, I don't do PVP or anything, so that might be why. It's a pure single player experience for me which funky messages lying around!

Biggzy

I have been meaning to get Dark Souls eventually and I just want to know whether it is wise to get the guide as well, since their have been patches released since that alters the game.

Futureman

I got my Claymore to +5 from Blacksmith Andrei.

what are my upgrade options now? do I need to start finding embers to do weapon ascension? I was buying Titantite Shards from Andrei to do the upgrades. I do have a Titantite Chunk on me, but it looks like I can't use that on the Claymore, at least not at Andrei yet.

scosher

I got my Claymore to +5 from Blacksmith Andrei.

what are my upgrade options now? do I need to start finding embers to do weapon ascension? I was buying Titantite Shards from Andrei to do the upgrades. I do have a Titantite Chunk on me, but it looks like I can't use that on the Claymore, at least not at Andrei yet.

Need a Large Ember to ascend it to +6 with large titanite shards.
Found in the Depths
. You give Andre the ember and he'll modify a +5 weapon for you. If you have green titanite shards, you can also upgrade to Magic weapon immediately with the blacksmith in New Londo.

scosher

I have been meaning to get Dark Souls eventually and I just want to know whether it is wise to get the guide as well, since their have been patches released since that alters the game.

Guide is still pretty spot on for the maps and the NPC's, but it's weapon/armor info will soon be pretty outdated. Also the wiki's have done a good job of finally catching up in info. I actually don't need my guide anymore, I could ship it for like $5-10 if you want. No markings, and it's hard cover so like new condition.

damn, the Four Kings are absolutely frightening lol.

i tried to help someone kill them (took FOREVER to be summoned argh), and i just didn't know what the hell to do, so confusing in that pitchblack darkness... died in less than 20 seconds :( feels bad being so useless

i'm only level 38 and with 15 vitality so it's a pretty dangerous fight, but i REALLY want to learn how to beat them without leveling up (i want to stay below 40 to help people with early/midgame bosses)... i have some very good gear though (Lightning Washing Pole +5, maxed out pyro, and almost maxed out armor/clothing etc). it should be doable right? but goddamn they scare the hell out of me... i'm afraid to go in the fight alone, because i have way too much humanity and souls to lose... i never see anyone to summon in New Londo, and Beatrice doesnt exist for some reason.

argh! anyone around lvl 38 on PS3 who could help me beat them? i'll reward you with 5 titanite chunks.

deim0s

Gravelord invasion question: If I or he quits the game or session, effects still last? Just got infected at undead burg with a new char. Can't believe the thing works, so I'm a bit happy getting invaded this way. No black phantoms tho.

I'm an expert

Humanity and souls come super easy in this game.. don't worry about dying a few times to learn a boss. If you want you can always equip the sacrifice ring..though for that fight you'd be wasting both your slots then.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
What's a good co-op spot for level 89? The Duke's Archives was my SunBro spot when I was like 20 levels weaker but now I waited like 30 minutes to get summoned and nothing. I need more medals for another miracle.

Biggzy

Guide is still pretty spot on for the maps and the NPC's, but it's weapon/armor info will soon be pretty outdated. Also the wiki's have done a good job of finally catching up in info. I actually don't need my guide anymore, I could ship it for like $5-10 if you want. No markings, and it's hard cover so like new condition.

Thanks for the offer, but it seems like the patches make/ will make the guide largely irrelevant. It's a shame as I have heard the guide is really well made.

guide has a lot of useful info, the patch is going to change some of the equipment stats around, but things like enemy location, placement, maps, etc aren't going to be affected.

besides, the thing is a gorgeous hardback. definitely a must buy regardless.

Booshka

damn, the Four Kings are absolutely frightening lol.

i tried to help someone kill them (took FOREVER to be summoned argh), and i just didn't know what the hell to do, so confusing in that pitchblack darkness... died in less than 20 seconds :( feels bad being so useless

i'm only level 38 and with 15 vitality so it's a pretty dangerous fight, but i REALLY want to learn how to beat them without leveling up (i want to stay below 40 to help people with early/midgame bosses)... i have some very good gear though (Lightning Washing Pole +5, maxed out pyro, and almost maxed out armor/clothing etc). it should be doable right? but goddamn they scare the hell out of me... i'm afraid to go in the fight alone, because i have way too much humanity and souls to lose... i never see anyone to summon in New Londo, and Beatrice doesnt exist for some reason.

argh! anyone around lvl 38 on PS3 who could help me beat them? i'll reward you with 5 titanite chunks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKalpe8sNc&feature=relmfu

This video has some great strategies for the fight, you can probably pull it off if you use his strategy and have some skill.
What's a good co-op spot for level 89? The Duke's Archives was my SunBro spot when I was like 20 levels weaker but now I waited like 30 minutes to get summoned and nothing. I need more medals for another miracle.
I would try the other Lordvessel locations, Lost Izalith, Tomb of Giants, and then try the Kiln if those don't work.

tokkun

alright just went like 10 and 0 being invaded as opposed to 340 when I was invading.. it just seems to match you with much more similar level people when being invaded (for me).. I had a crazy guy spamming that force/god spell and almost had me even though he looked like he was wearing nothing..this pvp is way better than invading SL300 people

Yeah, that's because darkwraith invaders always have to invade someone of a higher level.

So if you are invading people as SL80, you might end up invading an SL400, but never lower than 80.
If you are the one being invaded, it could be as low as 1 and as high as 80.

This is why soul glitching has really fucked up PvP. With my level 22 darkwraith, I probably end up invading glitchers about 50% of the time. They're really easy to recognize because about 9/10 glitchers seems to opt to wear the full Havel's armor set including shield, but are still fast. They all wear the fog ring too.

Humanity and souls come super easy in this game.. don't worry about dying a few times to learn a boss. If you want you can always equip the sacrifice ring..though for that fight you'd be wasting both your slots then.

yeah i'm not normally worried about losing my humanity or souls, but right now i have like 25 humanity and close to 2 million souls, which is a lot at this level.... so i do NOT want to have my bloodstain stuck in the Four Kings boss area.

i really hate farming rats, and getting summoned takes forever so getting Humanity at this point isn't that easy.

i thought about Ring of Sacrifice yeah, i have a lot of them, might waste 2-3 to try and get a feel for the fight. i'd much rather have someone to summon and help me though :(

Septimius

2AdEPT said:
Isn't this the same for magic and fire? Its pretty rare, if not completely no-existant to be abkle ot find a melee weapon that only does fire, magic or lightning isn't it?
Yes, but I used Lightning, because it does an even split between physical and lightning (so does fire and chaos), but Quelaag's, as an example, does more fire than physical, and would as that be better than a Fire/Chaos/Lightning, because you get more from having one do more damage than both do equal.

2AdEPT said:
but most have two types anyway unless they are +15 melee? PLus slash vs. pierce vs. blunt etc???

These are the sub-categories of physical resistance, but all physical damage only does ONE type of physical damage. Swords do slash, clubs do strike, rapiers etc do pierce. There's no multiple check there.

If that is true, i really don't see a need to go through the math. I understand that armour will interfere with weapons, and that if you know that that armour has certian deficiencies or reistance to certain elements that it can be disadvantageous to split it,

That's why I went through the math to show you how it works when resistances are exactly the same, and then to go on to show how it might normally be. Both show generally when the AR is 20% lower than the combined if a two element hitting weapon (250/-/-/250 means you need 400 in physical to out-damage it against most opponents

particuallary with fire weapon as many armours have high fire resistance....but with choas weapons for example it appears that the humanity bonus may actually be applied as physical or even ignore the fire resistnace of armours at it appears to hit ok even on high fire resistance armour types.

This is why the math is important. The reason why it seems like this is because the higher one damage type is (and up to 10 humanity increases fire damage, and nothing else), the less resistance will make a difference.

Keeping in mind that all armours also subdivide thrust vs. slash etc. my assumption is that you will always be going through multiple resistancesand
No

that the only time I would need to worry about moving to a +15 weapon was when the particular enemy semed to have a huge defense agaisnt my fire or lightning, or magic hybrid weapon; or agisnt my style (high pierce protect if using spear for example. )

Why would you go +15 when the enemy has high physical resistance?

Perhaps I am guilty of not being meticulous enough but to me there are very rare times where the +15 weapon will be better (low armour on the enemy) but most times a hybrid will at least do some major damage as at least one ofthe two resistances will hit big.

If you'd read my calculations in my last post, you'd seen that it's actually the complete opposite. The less resistance an enemy has, the more damage a two-way split weapon will do. Of course split might be an overall easier way of getting through the game, but it is rarely the optimal.

Because lightning resistance is the least common stat to be high on all armours in the game there are only a couple enemies where it woudl be better...but especially in pvp there are very rare enemies that have littel o no physical protect and your +15 weapon won't hit as hard after the resistance check on anything with armour.

Again, see above

I usually choose the steel plate resistnace ring if I think the enmemy will attack me with no element, but will always try ot take out the elemental effect withteh appropriate ring if I know what element is coming because i can handle the physical protect with a decent armour (and shield which gives 100% physical block most times, but less elemental.)

If you check the link to my huge post in my previous post, it's a post where I do calculations on how good resistance rings are, and you'll see that resistance does very little in negating damage in normal play. If you put on the ring, you'll likely last 0.3 hits more, so it won't really be a life saver. Run with Favor and Protection ring and Mask of a mother for highest survivability, as you will survive way more hits with even only the favor and protection ring than any resistance ring will ever do. They're generally a waste of a ring slot. Even if you wear Havel's Ring instead you can easily get way more resistance and still be light than you could with a resistance ring.

Zzoram

so i've got some charcoal pine resin, but it won't let me apply it to my main weapon (divine longsword). sup with that!? :(

Resins can only be applied to normal weapons (the kind that upgrade to +15)

Any magical effects on your weapon makes it so you can't apply resins.

Using a +15 weapon + resin produces better damage than any of the other upgrade paths, but that requires you to stockpile and use resins.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I would try the other Lordvessel locations, Lost Izalith, Tomb of Giants, and then try the Kiln if those don't work.
Crap, just as I suspected, the two worst levels in the game. I am so not looking forward to re-visiting those two shit holes. People actually do co-op in the Kiln to beat the level? I thought it was just a pvp hotspot (which never even worked for me since I never got summoned for Dragon Scales and the one time I got summoned for co-op I was banished immediately).

Crap, just as I suspected, the two worst levels in the game. I am so not looking forward to re-visiting those two shit holes. People actually do co-op in the Kiln to beat the level? I thought it was just a pvp hotspot (which never even worked for me since I never got summoned for Dragon Scales and the one time I got summoned for co-op I was banished immediately).

Yeah they do. It's a decent place for co-op because people reach there at all kinds of levels. It's true that you might be summoned by people just waiting around for invaders though. The centipede boss in Demon Ruins might be a good spot too, people there at high levels summon a lot because of the orange charred ring factor.

It is for Demon's Souls, but for Dark Souls they're both quite incomplete at the moment

I've been using both wikispaces and wikidot

I use both too (didn't know there was a wikispace for DeS though, I thought it was only wikidot and the Atlus one), but wikidot is much more complete

elty

I was trying to soul glitch to SL 120 so I can try a STR+FAI build. Going through great hollow with 0 curse resist is a horrible experience.

And I think I would better off with STR+INT.

Septimius

I was trying to soul glitch to SL 120 so I can try a STR+FAI build. Going through great hollow with 0 curse resist is a horrible experience.

If you're thinking CMW or Darkmoon blade, INT is waay better. Yes, faith is theoretically more powerful, but it doesn't get there until you level up your covenant quite a lot. Do you have any idea how long it's gonna take to get to even just +3 Darkmoon blade convenant? No thanks :> CMW is nearly as powerful, anyway, and the tiny damage difference is pretty much the difference between shooting someone with a cannon or a tanks. It doesn't matter, they're dead.

So, I just traversed through Sen's Fortress and beat the Iron Golem boss. Was expecting him to be harder. Anyways, where should I head to now? I don't think I'm quite ready for Anor Londo yet.

Areas I haven't done:
- Area behind Hydra in Darkroot Basin
- 20,000 Soul door
- New Londo Ruins
- Valley of the Drakes
- Graveyard area behind Firelink

And probably more I'm unaware of. Also, should I upgrade the Lighting Spear I'm currently using, or try and upgrade a different weapon in the lightning path?

Zzoram

So, I just traversed through Sen's Fortress and beat the Iron Golem boss. Was expecting him to be harder. Anyways, where should I head to now? I don't think I'm quite ready for Anor Londo yet.

Areas I haven't done:
- 20,000 Soul door

- New Londo Ruins
- Valley of the Drakes

And probably more I'm unaware of.

Those two areas are connected, it's basically the long way around the locked door.

Valley of Drakes is tiny, it's just a hub to connect Firelink, Blighttown, and New Londo Ruins. There is some loot there though.

Graveyard is supposed to be AFTER Anor Londo.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Areas I haven't done:
- 20,000 Soul door
- New Londo Ruins
- Valley of the Drakes

And probably more I'm unaware of. Also, should I upgrade the Lighting Spear I'm currently using, or try and upgrade a different weapon in the lightning path?

There are some items you could grab in the graveyard, and there's a firekeeper's soul not too far into New Londo Ruins that you might want to get before Anor Londo. Watch out for ghosts, though, you'll need a transient curse to hit them. I had a lightning Claymore when I went there and they were really easy to kill, but it might be tougher with the lightning spear.

Unless you really like the spear move set, I would find a different, stronger base weapon you like and upgrade that to lightning. I'm assuming you have a limited supply of titanite chunks, and you want to save those to upgrade a lightning weapon you really like. You can't upgrade to lightning until you meet the blacksmith in Anor Londo, though, and he's near the end of that area.

Well I saw people here talking up the Eagle shield and I got it to +10. Smith in New Londo is supposed to upgrade it further I read but then I also see I need to give him an ember guarded by Mushrooms...Great Hollow I presume? Guess it turns into Crystal. I'm confused can Crystal not be repaired at all? Like restoring the normal wear and tear that costs a few 100 souls?

Well I saw people here talking up the Eagle shield and I got it to +10. Smith in New Londo is supposed to upgrade it further I read but then I also see I need to give him an ember guarded by Mushrooms...Great Hollow I presume? Guess it turns into Crystal. I'm confused can Crystal not be repaired at all? Like restoring the normal wear and tear that costs a few 100 souls?

The ember you need for going past +10 is the very large ember found in New Londo Ruins after draining the water. You give it to Andrei in the undead burg and he'll let you upgrade stuff to +15. Crystal is a completely different thing which you should avoid as you can't repair crystal stuff.

The Crystal path is the most useless path do to the not repairing thing, especially when all crystal weapons start with such a low durability anyway.

+15 Eagle shield is probably one of the best shields in the game unless you want to parry, there's no greatshield better when taking stats and weight into factor.

2AdEPT

Yeah but since my save got corrupted my whole plan was to just ring the 2 bells as fast as possible and get back on top of sen's fortress where I was. So basically, it will be a lot faster for me to just cross the top of Blighttown through Drakes and grab the shield. Then walk all the way back again before going down to face Queelag. That video helped some, but damn all those wood structures just look the same to me.

Yeah this is my recommendation.....and if you run by a lot of basilisks at the bottom, and don't want to fight them again, just bring a homeward bone....I use lots of homeward bones....there are 6 at firelink iirc. This way, you come in the back, get the bonfire below, run through or fight a bit (there will be a blow dart sniper to snipe) and then you can grab the shield and use a homeward to get back to the bonfire. I would not light the bonfire on top as it slightly further than you have to go for eagle, and saves a lot of hassle to just homeward back to the lower bonfire and go straight to queelag. Petrus sells a homeward miracle that doesn't run out (as you just always sit at the bonfire you teleport to to renew); note that the eagle shield's only weakness is fire, so best not to use it on queelag.

While you are there after queelag, one more homeward is useful after you speed run over to the ceaseless discharge and grab the gold hemmed set.....just grab the set and immediately homeward back to the choas retreat (although if you are feeling adventurous the boss can be glitched if you run ALL the way back to the fog door and spam magic at that point.) Also make sure to remove your pyro glove from your inventory and get the egg vendor to sell you an extra one...its worth an extra slab from sparkly if ascended to queelana level 0. Careful not to forget your old one lying around...I did that one time and lost it as the beggar did not sell me a new one... for whatever reason I can not be sure.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

There is an ember guarded by mushrooms, but it's in Darkroot Garden. I think it's the enchanted ember and I guess you'd give it to the smith in New Londo, but as other posters have said you actually want to use Andrei to raise your shield to +15.

2AdEPT

Always pick up the dusk oolacile stuff as early as possible, once you get her stuff, I recommend the antiquted skirt, gloves, and armour of favour over the crimson set for curse resist....you bascially get a bar a mile long AND the frogs will barely give you a sliver on it....plus its a damn good skirt for magic resist and lightnign as well.....I am not surprised ts getting nerfed but it well worth 8-10 twinkling titanite as you will be able to buy those post patch anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom