• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
He didn't know Kiln was a word. I find that strange. Yeah, it's a great name for the area.

Really? Am I in the minority of never having heard the word "kiln"? Kiln? Is a that commonly used word? It's not the use of the word, just the translation that I don't like. Had they used any synonym of it I still wouldn't have liked it. Again, a personal pet peeve. Doesn't matter.

roxya

Really? Am I in the minority of never having heard the word "kiln"? Kiln? Is a that commonly used word? It's not the use of the word, just the translation that I don't like. Had they used any synonym of it I still wouldn't have liked it. Again, a personal pet peeve. Doesn't matter.

Well I haven't performed any kind of survey, but I would guess that most people have heard the word :)

The Japanese is (according to the livedoor wiki), 最初の火の炉.

Which is First の Fire の Hearth/Fireplace/Furnace/Kiln

I don't know where you got "doorway" from.

Zzoram

Ya I knew the word Kiln, however I used to read a lot as a kid and watch a lot of Discovery Channel so I'm probably not a good judge of whether a typical person knows the word.

That said, I can't remember where I first learned the word. I suspect it was a documentary about ancient Chinese kilns and how they made the best pottery because they could produce temperatures higher than anyone else.

Kweh

I remember reading on here ages ago that you eventually get the option to sell stuff. I'm almost near the end of the game, but still haven't found anyone like that. Where is he/she?

Is it possible to drop weapons so someone else can get trophies like you could on Demons Souls?

If so has anyone here got the "Knights Honour" All rare weapons trophy and could help me out?

Im on souls level 89 and need about 15 or so weapons?

I remember reading on here ages ago that you eventually get the option to sell stuff. I'm almost near the end of the game, but still haven't found anyone like that. Where is he/she?

You sell to that long necked dog type thing next to the firelink shrine

Can't remember its name

Septimius

English isn't my first language, so I hadn't heard it before. Funnily enough, the day I walked into Kiln of The First Flame, I watch a Mythbusters episode where they make a tag for an oven that said "Kiln".

"Fireplace of the First Flame" is too much of an alliteration. It sounds silly. Furnace, too.

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, NG+ is a breeze so far. Stopped just shy of S&O last night though (SL 97)- gave it a couple tries, need to kill Ornstein first. Such a pain, but I don't think it'll be as rough as the initial fight.

I've been trying to co-op everywhere so I can decrease the Faith requirement for the Sunbro covenant, but I can't freaking connect to anyone. I remember reading somewhere that opening your NAT can fix this? I opened it this morning so hopefully it works when I get home from work. Is this true, though?

Zzoram

Man, NG+ is a breeze so far. Stopped just shy of S&O last night though (SL 97)- gave it a couple tries, need to kill Ornstein first. Such a pain, but I don't think it'll be as rough as the initial fight.

I've been trying to co-op everywhere so I can decrease the Faith requirement for the Sunbro covenant, but I can't freaking connect to anyone. I remember reading somewhere that opening your NAT can fix this? I opened it this morning so hopefully it works when I get home from work. Is this true, though?

NAT2 works for me, not sure how you set it.

You need to have patience to co-op. Put your white stone sign down somewhere high traffic, by a key bonfire like the 2nd one in Anor Lando, or just before a boss fog gate. Eventually someone will summon you. It can often take ~15 minutes before someone summons you so do some reading or homework in front of the TV and just look every now and then to see if you've been summoned.

roxya

What do you mean, can't connect? I've never seen a "failure" while getting summoned. At 97 you're just not going to find a lot of action. Best bet is probably 4 kings :/ Maybe Seath.

Ourobolus

Banned
NAT2 works for me, not sure how you set it.

You need to have patience to co-op. Put your white stone sign down somewhere high traffic, by a key bonfire like the 2nd one in Anor Lando, or just before a boss fog gate. Eventually someone will summon you. It can often take ~15 minutes before someone summons you so do some reading or homework in front of the TV and just look every now and then to see if you've been summoned.

What do you mean, can't connect? I've never seen a "failure" while getting summoned. At 97 you're just not going to find a lot of action. Best bet is probably 4 kings :/ Maybe Seath.

I'll set my White Soapstone sign down and will wander around doing my thing and just get a "failure to connect" dialog every few minutes or so. I originally had NAT2 set - I just vaguely recalled hearing that making it open might help.

Minamu

NAT2 is open. It just means you're sharing your internet via a hub/router. It's the same as plugging your console directly into the wall socket.

How to be a professional Namco Bandai employee:
*Mention update on patch coming 'very soon' on twitter
*Never mention it again

I'm thinking he got told to zip it, considering one of his earlier tweets said 'I could mention a tweet but I would be backstabbed in a second', so i'm thinking this is specifically Namco's fault, not his. Namco WANTS us in the dark, how annoying.

Minamu

Huh. Well ok then, I just suck at connecting to other players then. Thanks!
It's p2p connections. Might as well be their connection :) I get it a lot as well. It's actually very common, at least back when the game was new. The new patch will probably help in some regards.

Sullichin

Huh. Well ok then, I just suck at connecting to other players then. Thanks!

FWIW, I co-opped S&O with like 5 people last night with my SL around 106-112. I swear one of them was still on NG though, they didn't know where they were going and they got instantly obliterated.. by regular Smough???

Ourobolus

Banned
It's p2p connections. Might as well be their connection :) I get it a lot as well. It's actually very common, at least back when the game was new. The new patch will probably help in some regards.
Yeah, I know it P2P, but I'd think that at least ONE TIME I could connect. Oh well, here's hoping the patch helps.

FWIW, I co-opped S&O with like 5 people last night with my SL around 106-112. I swear one of them was still on NG though, they didn't know where they were going and they got instantly obliterated.. by regular Smough???
Out of curiosity, where are you dropping your summon sign?

Sullichin

Out of curiosity, where are you dropping your summon sign?

The indoor bonfire that comes after everyone's favorite archers. Sometimes I have to wait quite a while though. And I stupidly spent my souls to level up and now I think I'll have a harder time getting summoned there. Too bad, it's my favorite boss. Plus you often get some interesting PVP action there.

If you drop it outside, you run the risk of the person not having ANY of AL open. It's kind of annoying to get past the archers in someone else's game for them to die. Inside, people seem to be cool with killing the 2 knights -> rolling past royal sentinels -> O&S.

it would be nice if there was a reward for summoned players not just when they beat a boss.

Wool

Got some crude Dark Souls jokes I just made up with a friend.

What do you call it when a Marine has sex with his wife after getting back from a tour of service? Homeward Boning.

What do you call it when a guy gets to third base in the desert? Dried Fingering.

This just reminds me how much I miss sticky white stuff.

scosher

Loaded this up 1st time since MW3 launched. It's a fucking desert, there's no one to invade anymore. 360 here.

Yeah, Kiln action seems a lot slower over the past week since Skyrim/MW3. Was usually instantenous invasion/red eye orb success at SL 125. I probably won't put the game back in until 1.05 hits.

.GqueB.

Banned
For weapon choice it's not just moveset. Curved blades and katanas have Bleed, an effect that can add significant bonus damage if you get off 3-4 hits in rapid succession. This Bleed bonus isn't affected by ascending the weapons to Lightning which is why those types of weapons are favored.

Well I did say "mostly" and I stick to that. For instance, whenever Im PVP'ing in the forest, I always come across people that use claymores and other large swords such as that. These are weapons that can pretty much f you up in one or two hits. So I decided (naturally) to upgrade the claymore I found so I could use it in these fights and be better prepared.

After one fight I put that crap right back into my box. Such a boring, horrid weapon to use. I despise fighting like that. People also swear by the scimitar but thats another weapon I hate using. Meanwhile, Ive been using the long sword since the beginning of the game and I still pretty much love it. Its attack speed is great, its R2 is excellent. Just a great all around weapon. In my eyes, if you actually like using the weapon you are wielding then you'll be all the more effective with it. Yes having bleed is great but if I hate the style of the weapon then I may as well be swinging a bat.

tokkun

lol, I have 46 strength, wielding weapons isn't an issue. I have about 18 VIT ¬_¬

I have a PvP character with 15 VIT and 20 END. You can still win like that, but you may need to rethink strategies like wielding a huge weapon.

How to be a professional Namco Bandai employee:
*Mention update on patch coming 'very soon' on twitter
*Never mention it again

I'm thinking he got told to zip it, considering one of his earlier tweets said 'I could mention a tweet but I would be backstabbed in a second', so i'm thinking this is specifically Namco's fault, not his. Namco WANTS us in the dark, how annoying.

Actually what happened was:
1. He tweets multiple teasers for patch-related news coming on the official site.
2. The official site is updated with a notice that they are working on the patch (no release date given).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Beat O&S in NG+. Super Smough is soooooo much easier than Super Ornstein. Super Smough is just another big slow guy that you can hack away at, like most bosses in the game. Super Ornstein is as big as your typical boss but is as fast as those elite knights. Holy shit.

Yesterday I got a taste of co-op. I went human in the Hollow and tried to summon two guys. To my great surprise, it actually worked. And it was fast too. All other times I have had to wait near five minutes, only to get a "summoning failed" message. But this time they were summoned almost instantly. Together, we easily took down the Gaping Dragon. The only negative was that it felt a bit too easy. It was my first try on the boss, so it felt strange to be able to win so easily.

Afterwards, I continued into Blighttown. It's a shame about the framerate (although it wasn't so bad near the top) as the level design is so interesting. And confusing. I managed to randomly fight, jump and fall my way down to a bonfire. I just hope I am not stuck down here if I find the enemies too tough. It seems like like I can't go back the way I came, although it sometimes is hard to see all the ladders.

edbrat

Thanks. Currently my best weapon is a lightning scythe +5. Everything else seems like too much of a pain in the ass to get better than that. I am having so much fun co-opping O&S in NG+ I think I'll do it until I have enough souls to handle True Greatsword of Artorias.

I spent all day yesterday cooping O&S - initially I just wanted some practise but it was so much fun I didn't stop! Some hilarious deaths in there, the ways people find to die in this game are just awesome. So good think I will drop my sign back in there tonight, by far the most fun way (perhaps not the most efficient) to build up souls and humanity, I just browsed the web until I got summoned, at levels 46-48 it was regular enough to be interesting.

It is tough enough with phantoms that it really does reinforce how nuts this fight is to solo, on many occasions I got the impression that the person summoning had gone half nuts trying to solo it and this was their last resort before eating the disc in some kind of misguided act of revenge against the devs.

EasyMode

It is tough enough with phantoms that it really does reinforce how nuts this fight is to solo, on many occasions I got the impression that the person summoning had gone half nuts trying to solo it and this was their last resort before eating the disc in some kind of misguided act of revenge against the devs.
It's not just your impression. I helped some guy beat them the other day and afterwards he sent me a message thanking me and saying he had been trying to beat them for 5 hours.

Alright, I think I'm going to retire this Black Knight Sword in favor of what will eventually be a Lightning Zweihander. Does this sound like a good move?

elty

S&O was extremely hard when I tried the pyro/melee strategy. Wasted hours soloing, with sunbro, with subbro and another white pahntom.

Switched to fight with magic (24INT + Dusk catalyst, should be doable with less int if you can use great soul arrow) and solo them (Ornstein last) in one attempt. Kiting with great soul arrow is so much easier then trying to melee and get BBQ.

shiroryu

What's a good boss fight/area to help people out on at level 26? Need some souls for that sweet Darkroot farming to get Shouting Dragoncrest Ring.

I went out of order a bit, after the Gargoyles, dicking around in Asylum, the Garden and Basin; even unlocked the Valley of Drakes shortcut to Blighttown so Capra Demon and Depths are now optional lol. Love the design in this game.

S&O was extremely hard when I tried the pyro/melee strategy. Wasted hours soloing, with sunbro, with subbro and another white pahntom.

Switched to fight with magic (24INT + Dusk catalyst) and solo them (Ornstein last) in one attempt. Kiting with great soul arrow is so much easier then trying to melee and get BBQ.
Stories like this make me glad I went mage, despite the Undead Parish kicking my ass a few times early on - damn area throwing zombie hordes at you.

tokkun

Alright, I think I'm going to retire this Black Knight Sword in favor of what will eventually be a Lightning Zweihander. Does this sound like a good move?

If you are satisfied with the Zweihander's moveset, then it is definitely a very powerful weapon when upgraded.

If you find it too slow, you might want to try the Claymore (i.e. Zweihander lite) instead.

If you are satisfied with the Zweihander's moveset, then it is definitely a very powerful weapon when upgraded.

If you find it too slow, you might want to try the Claymore (i.e. Zweihander lite) instead.

Ah, too bad. I think I may have gotten rid of it awhile back because it isn't in my inventory (looking at its location would lead me to believe that I had it at one point).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
On one hand it really is awesome you can team up like that, but on the other hand there is a great satisfaction in beating a boss by yourself - everything I've done in Demon's and this game I've done by myself. That's a cool feeling.

I think I'm going to try to tackle other bosses by myself, but if I have a humanity handy and I might use it from time to time. Perhaps on bosses that really kick my ass.

Anyway, I know you've all done this a million times, but it's new for me, so yeah. :)
I agree. It's quite satisfying to learn all of a boss' tells, and then dodge/block/attack consistently enough to take it down on your own. Co-op is fun too, but it is noticably more chaotic because the boss may not be reacting to you, and is less predictable as a result. I got hurt a lot more co-oping for Quelaag than I did soloing her, for example.

I've never done an O&S co-op, though. It's sad, because I often see "Need Hollow" signs near the boss door but I don't get any bites if I put down my summon sign there.

Speevy

Banned
I've lost plenty of fights because a character was faster than me, and moved around better.

But I can't say I've ever lost one because of a fast weapon.

Actually what happened was:
1. He tweets multiple teasers for patch-related news coming on the official site.
2. The official site is updated with a notice that they are working on the patch (no release date given).

I also find it stupid. They say they're "rebalancing" stuff in the patch when that's nowhere near true.

They're just translating/localizing the existing patch from japan, why the HELL should that take as long as it's doing? From pushed out two patches in a quarter of the time its taking Namco to localize one.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ah, too bad. I think I may have gotten rid of it awhile back because it isn't in my inventory (looking at its location would lead me to believe that I had it at one point).

Is it in your bottomless box?

The Bastard Sword is very similar to the Claymore stats-wise. I think the only real difference is the R2 attack. I never hear anyone talking about the Bastard Sword though. Maybe the Claymore is more popular for some reason I'm not aware of? (or it's just the thrust attack).

theta11

The Bastard Sword is very similar to the Claymore stats-wise. I think the only real difference is the R2 attack. I never hear anyone talking about the Bastard Sword though. Maybe the Claymore is more popular for some reason I'm not aware of? (or it's just the thrust attack).

The Claymore has longer range for the damage trade off and the R2 attack is amazing, quick and powerful, makes it an overall better weapon than the Bastard Sword.

I don't even have one of those. :/

If only I had known! I despise the Zweihander moveset, so I guess I'll stick with the Black Knight Sword for now. The patch can't come soon enough.

Damn, spent the last couple hours grinding up to 20k souls, then I fall into the pit at Sen's Fortress right at the very end. Spend another hour defeating the Titanite Demon's slowly so I can get my souls back, and get killed by some electric snake enemies right before I get it back. Fuck.

What's the best way to get Titanite Shards, cause I sure as hell aren't gonna grind souls again.

Beats

Damn, spent the last couple hours grinding up to 20k souls, then I fall into the pit at Sen's Fortress right at the very end. Spend another hour defeating the Titanite Demon's slowly so I can get my souls back, and get killed by some electric snake enemies right before I get it back. Fuck.

What's the best way to get Titanite Shards, cause I sure as hell aren't gonna grind souls again.

I don't know if there are any farmable enemies for titanite shards, but really the best way is to just buy them from Andre. For large titanite shards the leeches in the swamp part of Blighttown drop them fairly often if you have the gold serpent ring.

roxya

I've always paid for shards (the small ones...), but the best way you can farm them early is by killing leeches at the bottom of Blight town. However, you need:

The Covetous Gold Serpent Ring (found in Sen's...)
The rusty iron ring (found at the undead asylum)
I guess you have access to Kingseeker Frampt? He can change Large Titanite Shards and Green Titanite Shards (both of which you'll be getting lots of, the green one moreso) into 5 titanite shards.

If you have any large shards or green shards right now, you can just go and turn them into small ones if you really want to...

Hm, yeah I guess I'll have to grind souls then. I don't really want to waste my Titanite Chunks/Large Shards, because I'll need them later. Where do you guys think the best place to grind enemies for souls is? Sen's Fortress doesn't seem too great for that.

scosher

Go to Blight-town swamps with a covenant gold serpent ring and the rusted iron ring. Farm the slugs (found by the tree root to the Great Hollow). On one run, you'll average around 3-4 large titanite shards and 5-10 green titanite shards (they drop 5 green titanite shards at a time).

It's 10x more efficient cause you can then feed a green titanite shard to Frampt for 5 titanite shards...so essentially each time a slug drops 5 of them, it's dropping 25 titanite shards.

tokkun

I don't even have one of those. :/

If only I had known! I despise the Zweihander moveset, so I guess I'll stick with the Black Knight Sword for now. The patch can't come soon enough.

Did you hang on to the Halberd? That's another devastating weapon when upgraded, and probably an overall better weapon for PvE than the Claymore or Zweihander due to its combination of forward range and ability to be used in narrow spaces.

The main weakness of the Halberd is that it is not effective against players who move in close and circle you since it has no arc unless you use the R2, which is likely to get you backstabbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom