• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp

paul robertson tribute to souls
dsds02.gif

theta11

Lol, I was in the process of making that ornstien my avatar from the pic, come back 2 mins later and it taken. guess ill work on priscilla >_<

Did you hang on to the Halberd? That's another devastating weapon when upgraded, and probably an overall better weapon for PvE than the Claymore or Zweihander due to its combination of forward range and ability to be used in narrow spaces.

The main weakness of the Halberd is that it is not effective against players who move in close and circle you since it has no arc unless you use the R2, which is likely to get you backstabbed.

*sigh* I must have gotten rid of that too.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Tales of PvP: Last night I'm finishing up Duke's Archives and I get invaded. After wandering around for a good five minutes, I go to the bonfire I want to checkpoint at, near the crystal caves. I wait there a while and the guy still hasn't found me. He sends me a message that says "wtf" but I don't respond because I don't want to be messaging when he finds me.

I put on the fog ring, because as the one being invaded I have no qualms about using whatever will work, and wait another 5 minutes. The guy finally finds me, and casts TWoP while I hit him with my lightning claymore. Then he casts poison mist and gets me with it. I have no idea what he's going for at this point (because I have almost no PvP experience) and he isn't attacking me with his sword, which looks pretty big (gravelord, maybe).

So I'm TWoP'd and poisoned but not in any immediate danger. I keep moving towards him, and hit him a couple more times and he dies.

If this was a boring story, it's because it was a boring fight. Any thoughts on what this guy's strategy was supposed to be? I'm at SL 66 so I have to assume he was near that as well. Or does level matching only apply to jolly cooperation situations?

theta11

Tales of PvP: Last night I'm finishing up Duke's Archives and I get invaded. After wandering around for a good five minutes, I go to the bonfire I want to checkpoint at, near the crystal caves. I wait there a while and the guy still hasn't found me. He sends me a message that says "wtf" but I don't respond because I don't want to be messaging when he finds me.

I put on the fog ring, because as the one being invaded I have no qualms about using whatever will work, and wait another 5 minutes. The guy finally finds me, and casts TWoP while I hit him with my lightning claymore. Then he casts poison mist and gets me with it. I have no idea what he's going for at this point (because I have almost no PvP experience) and he isn't attacking me with his sword, which looks pretty big (gravelord, maybe).

So I'm TWoP'd and poisoned but not in any immediate danger. I keep moving towards him, and hit him a couple more times and he dies.

If this was a boring story, it's because it was a boring fight. Any thoughts on what this guy's strategy was supposed to be? I'm at SL 66 so I have to assume he was near that as well. Or does level matching only apply to jolly cooperation situations?

Most people who use TWoP suffer from tunnel vision. Most players aren't good enough to cast magic without lockon and you take away thier ability to lock on they act like headless chickens. I've got a few kills on people who use TWoP like that. lol

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Most people who use TWoP suffer from tunnel vision. Most players aren't good enough to cast magic without lockon and you take away thier ability to lock on they act like headless chickens. I've got a few kills on people who use TWoP like that. lol

Hmm, didn't think of that. I was fixated on his giant sword, but maybe his plan was to use magic attacks. I can completely sympathize with not being able to aim fireballs for shit without lock-on. :p

Septimius

After I got my PvP build together, I've started loving TWoP'ers. As theta11 says, they are so stupid, so convinced their strategy is flawless, that when I just stand there as they approach me, and then swiftly hit them twice in the face with my Uchi and they die (because that does around 1k damage), they've barely even hit me once.

Then I get to do "Look skyward" and get on with a proper fight.

Best time was when someone invaded me. He walked down, bowed, and I was thinking "Yay, someone bowed! This should be good!"

He then TWoP'ed me, and cast fireballs from afar. I turned off the game. Ridiculous stuff.

tokkun

Yeah, the big problem with TWOP is Wrath. If you happen to carry Pyro flame with Iron Skin in your loadout, you can try casting it immediately when they TWOP and hope to chug Estus faster than they can kill you with Wrath.

Can't wait to make my PvP char and using Tranquil Walk of Peace + Fog ring

Ultimate grieving

Reminds me of Firestorming people off the ledge to their death in 3-2... good times

I feel that dark souls is most dangerous when you give your opponents the chance to attack...

until I got that GREAT FREAKEN SHIELD OF ARTORIAS!

Best shield ever, it's so good. I was able to block so many more attacks because of this shield.

I feel that dark souls is most dangerous when you give your opponents the chance to attack...

Best shield ever, it's so good. I was able to block so many more attacks because of this shield.

Physical damage only, though. :/

Still making slow but steady progress through the game. I'm really enjoying it still, but I might have to mix in a new game for a little bit as a break since this title is dang long. This is the only thing that I've been playing since it came out and I'm only now getting into Sen's Fortress, just not enough time to game these days.

Feeling a little bit silly about upgrading. I had a winged spear that I was just finishing up getting to +10 with the aim of making it a lighting winged spear. Then I just found a lighting spear for killing a mimic chest, so I guess all those shards were kinda wasted.

BTW since lighting weapons don't scale where should I be putting my points? Just dump 'em all into vit and end? If it matters I'm probably never going to NG+, I'd just rather start a fresh game if I ever replay so I just have this playthough to worry about.

Let me be one in a long line of people tell you: You are an ass-hat. Simple as that.

Depends. Is he invading and doing that, or is he being invaded?

If he's being invaded then there's no issue, no mercy and no rules for invading griefer douchebags. Now if he's invading people and doing that then yes, he's an asshat. XD

Depends. Is he invading and doing that, or is he being invaded?

If he's being invaded then there's no issue, no mercy and no rules for invading griefer douchebags. Now if he's invading people and doing that then yes, he's an asshat. XD

Also, if he's hanging out in a PvP zone ( Dark Anor Londo, the Kiln, the Forest) as well.

edbrat

Washing pole, got one because I thought it looked badass, how is it? Worth upgrading? I already have queelags fury sword +5 and lightning spear +5 for context. I would need to pump another 2 points into strength to one hand it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Let me be one in a long line of people tell you: You are an ass-hat. Simple as that.

Remember, if you don't follow the strict code of conduct for Dark Souls PVP (as proclaimed here on GAF), you are either a) cheap, b) terrible, or c) cheap, terrible, and an asshole. Don't forget to always /bow at your target (even if they're running at you full speed and mid-swing, showing them respect will let them know you are the better man), don't forget to unequip your Ring of Fog (because PVP gear is not allowed in PVP), and don't forget you only need one attunement slot - to cast CMW on +15 Uchigatana (anything else is downright dirty).

Above all else, have fun! (cough)

Washing pole, got one because I thought it looked badass, how is it? Worth upgrading? I already have queelags fury sword +5 and lightning spear +5 for context. I would need to pump another 2 points into strength to one hand it.

Washing pole is good because of it's insane reach and bleed.

UFRA

Remember, if you don't follow the strict code of conduct for Dark Souls PVP (as proclaimed here on GAF), you are either a) cheap, b) terrible, or c) cheap, terrible, and an asshole. Don't forget to always /bow at your target (even if they're running at you full speed and mid-swing, showing them respect will let them know you are the better man), don't forget to unequip your Ring of Fog (because PVP gear is not allowed in PVP), and don't forget you only need one attunement slot - to cast CMW on +15 Uchigatana (anything else is downright dirty).

You know....that whole discussion was ages ago. People expressed opinions, tensions were high, drama happened. But it's over.

Seems like you can't let it go and have to keep making little jabs every chance you get. Just drop it dude...you don't like bowing, we get it.

Mangs. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good footage showcasing just what Dark Souls is all about in terms of combat depth and whatnot?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You know....that whole discussion was ages ago. People expressed opinions, tensions were high, drama happened. But it's over.

Seems like you can't let it go and have to keep making little jabs every chance you get. Just drop it dude...you don't like bowing, we get it.

It has nothing to do about bowing or me liking it or not. It has to do with users on here calling other users here names like "asshat, cheap c*nt, ring of f_g (it ain't an o) user" because they don't play the game the way they want them to.. How about people get over THAT. Do you get that?

Septimius

Seriously?

If it's one thing that's detrimental to all discussions, it's taking all arguments of the opposing side and reductio ad absurdum (reducing it to the absurd). I just can't but stop and think "what do these people find fun with using TWoP and Fireball or whatever magic that means I can't ever survive?" - so yeah, if that floats your boat, you can kill me. I really, really don't care. Just get out of my world.

It has nothing to do about bowing or me liking it or not. It has to do with users on here calling other users here names like "asshat, cheap c*nt, ring of f_g (it ain't an o) user" because they don't play the game the way they want them to.. How about people get over THAT. Do you get that?

Again, seriously? If you don't consider someone that has made a PvP build consisting of using TWoP and a ranged magic an ass-hat, is that really because you think they don't play the game like we want them to? Again, I don't give two shits that someone is such a coward or so weak that that's the only viable option to them. Sometimes I will log out, because I don't care enough to stay, other times I'll just stand there and look at you as you think you're a great player for using that tactic. Most of the time, I'll be standing above your dead body, shaking my head.

Also, no one here calls anyone anything outside of asshat, so please stop reductio ad absurdum.

Zimbardo

haha! :D

nah, i only do it to people invading my game. ;P

i especially love owning 2 people at the same time. they get all careless and think its gonna be a cakewalk ...then BOOM! and they're like 'WTF was that?'. lol.

Septimius

haha! :D

nah, i only do it to people invading my game. ;P

i especially love owning 2 people at the same time. they get all careless and think its gonna be a cakewalk ...then BOOM! and they're like 'WTF was that?'. lol.

As long as this is to fend off people you are scared can topple your single player progress, then this is a-ok. You're waiting for people to invade you, you're still an ass-hat. Really, I hold nothing against you, personally, even if you made a habit out of invading everyone and doing this, it's completely your choice, but I think the latter is on par with pushing old people and then laughing.

Zimbardo

As long as this is to fend off people you are scared can topple your single player progress, then this is a-ok. You're waiting for people to invade you, you're still an ass-hat. Really, I hold nothing against you, personally, even if you made a habit out of invading everyone and doing this, it's completely your choice, but I think the latter is on par with pushing old people and then laughing.

part of it is because i don't trust the lag.

i've seen too many backstabs that look like they shouldn't have happened.

I'm an expert

Seriously?

If it's one thing that's detrimental to all discussions, it's taking all arguments of the opposing side and reductio ad absurdum (reducing it to the absurd). I just can't but stop and think "what do these people find fun with using TWoP and Fireball or whatever magic that means I can't ever survive?" - so yeah, if that floats your boat, you can kill me. I really, really don't care. Just get out of my world.

Again, seriously? If you don't consider someone that has made a PvP build consisting of using TWoP and a ranged magic an ass-hat, is that really because you think they don't play the game like we want them to? Again, I don't give two shits that someone is such a coward or so weak that that's the only viable option to them. Sometimes I will log out, because I don't care enough to stay, other times I'll just stand there and look at you as you think you're a great player for using that tactic. Most of the time, I'll be standing above your dead body, shaking my head.

Also, no one here calls anyone anything outside of asshat, so please stop reductio ad absurdum.

Lol..I'm not reducing anything. The examples I used were names I was called when I commented that I use Ring of Fog in PVP a week or so back. If you want I can go back and quote those posts. No, I don't care about being called names on the internet - but your argument makes zero sense.

The developers put those skills, weapons, gear in the game to use. If they feel it's imbalanced, they will fix it (which they did with the patch), but because players use tools given to them by the creators of the game, they are IN YOUR WORDS "cowards" and "weak". Then you say you really don't care, but admit you log out sometimes because of it. I'm not trying to start some grand argument over this, I just don't see how you get angry, annoyed, or if neither of those, why you say people are "weak" for using abilities in a game that are not cheating or hacked or exploits.

It's like people playing Street Fighter and calling their opponent cheap because they throw a lot. Because throws are, you know, bad or something. Aren't you the weak one for getting thrown?

I'll leave it at that.

Septimius

Lol..I'm not reducing anything. The examples I used were names I was called when I commented that I use Ring of Fog in PVP a week or so back. If you want I can go back and quote those posts. No, I don't care about being called names on the internet - but your argument makes zero sense.

The developers put those skills, weapons, gear in the game to use. If they feel it's imbalanced, they will fix it (which they did with the patch
), but because players use tools given to them by the creators of the game, they are IN YOUR WORDS "cowards" and "weak". Then you say you really don't care, but admit you log out sometimes because of it. I'm not trying to start some grand argument over this, I just don't see how you get angry, annoyed, or if neither of those, why you say people are "weak" for using abilities in a game that are not cheating or hacked or exploits.

It's like people playing Street Fighter and calling their opponent cheap because they throw a lot. Because throws are, you know, bad or something. Aren't you the weak one for getting thrown?

I'll leave it at that.

So, you really think them fixing it does nothing to your argument? It's OK as long as it's in game, even if they're already tweaked, but the patch hasn't reached us yet?

Other than that, Street Fighter is an extremely balanced game. That said, it is a much more emotional game, too, so you'll get stronger reactions. Someone being thrown to death is likely to knee-jerk like that, but they should figure that it's a balanced part of the game, and that's how it is. Dark Souls isn't balanced, and embarrassingly so. Using those imbalances to your favor is cowardly. Most people know they're getting taken out, which should make them think "maybe this wasn't the way they intended to use it" - an argument to that is that TWoP users are completely manageable, lest they throw magic at you from afar. Then there's just nothing to do. And where is the fun in that?

Don't feel hurt by my arguments just because you've been called things by people here before. I'm not one of them, fog ring users are amongst my easiest opponents. I don't see any reason to paraphrase alleged quotes like "you should ALWAYS bow no matter the circumstances", which is why your paraphrases are absurd, and you've reduced previous arguments to it.

So yes, the patch cannot come soon enough, and if you use those tactics I mention, you're likely doing it to troll, or you're doing it because you can't win otherwise. You don't bring a gun to a fist fight just because the guy is too big and you've got a gun license.

Greatshield of Artorias is bar none the best shield, even without high Magic reduction. When you can tank Havel two handing a frickin' Dragon Tooth using the R2 without even being pushed back, you know it's damn good.

I use it with my Zwei when I PvP, and sit there and laugh at people trying to break my guard or hit me with a status element like Bleed thinking it'll hit even on block like most shields (it doesn't, by the way). Then I swing my Zwei which makes them immediately think "lol GS noob, I'm so leet I'm gonna backstab punish it's so slow lol", turn during said swing and bludgeon them with my enormous sword and they get stunlocked and die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom