• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxya

Got a titanite slab from the darkwraiths after about an hour's work, feel like I won the lottery :D

I missed out on Siegmeyer's stuff and didn't have any luck in the hollow :<

Now I can't decide between +15'ing the Greataxe, Demon's Greataxe (I can wield it), or the Great Club. Mostly for PvE but maybe PvP some time...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
and if you use those tactics I mention, you're likely doing it to troll, or you're doing it because you can't win otherwise. You don't bring a gun to a fist fight just because the guy is too big and you've got a gun license.

This is seriously like something off of GameFAQs. So if you beat me when I'm using the ring of fog, it's because I was terrible and a troll, but if I beat you when using it, it wouldn't be your fault for being bad, it'd be because I brought a gun to a fist fight since I was obviously scared of you. Got it. Ok, then. I'll be over here now.... carry on....

Septimius

This is seriously like something off of GameFAQs. So if you beat me when I'm using the ring of fog, it's because I was terrible and a troll, but if I beat you when using it, it wouldn't be your fault for being bad, it'd be because I brought a gun to a fist fight since I was obviously scared of you. Got it. Ok, then. I'll be over here now.... carry on....

It's like you're not even reading my posts. I keep telling you that the fog ring doesn't concern me. Please do not feel hurt by what I'm saying just because people have called you things for using the fog ring before. I am not one of them.

No, this has nothing to do with GameFAQs either, why are you unable to respond without making the previous argument ridiculous? TWoP + ranged magic = silly. If you use that, no one will have fun. You can do that all you want. If you beat me, you beat me. Hooray. If I beat you, I beat you, hooray. So what. That's not my point. It's either trolls or people that don't want to lose to anyone that use that tactic. We could all use it, but luckily, the rest of us aren't that shortsighted.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It's like you're not even reading my posts. I keep telling you that the fog ring doesn't concern me. Please do not feel hurt by what I'm saying just because people have called you things for using the fog ring before. I am not one of them.

No, this has nothing to do with GameFAQs either, why are you unable to respond without making the previous argument ridiculous? TWoP + ranged magic = silly. If you use that, no one will have fun. You can do that all you want. If you beat me, you beat me. Hooray. If I beat you, I beat you, hooray. So what. That's not my point. It's either trolls or people that don't want to lose to anyone that use that tactic. We could all use it, but luckily, the rest of us aren't that shortsighted.

Calm down, no one is hurt, and if anyone isn't reading posts, it'd be you.

I use the fog ring. I'm not a troll. It's not the only way I can win. I'm not shortsighted. I have fun using it. Your grand sweeping generalizations are now moot. Enjoy your pvp.

Gonna stop mucking up the OT with this stuff. If you want to continue, shoot me a PM.

tokkun

Don't forget to always /bow at your target (even if they're running at you full speed and mid-swing, showing them respect will let them know you are the better man),

Let me remind you of the actual scenario that started the discussion of bowing, because it was pretty much the exact opposite of that.

1. I am about to engage a guy in the Depths. Just as he reaches me, a slime falls on his head.
2. Rather than easily killing him while he is paralyzed, I do the wave gesture.
3. After the slime wears off, I stand still and allow him to back off and heal.
4. When he finally comes back, I bow to him and he attacks me while I'm bowing.

I really do not care at all if people don't want to bow - I probably bow in less than 1/20 of my fights - but it is a pretty low class move to try to cheese someone in that situation.

UFRA

It has nothing to do about bowing or me liking it or not. It has to do with users on here calling other users here names like "asshat, cheap c*nt, ring of f_g (it ain't an o) user" because they don't play the game the way they want them to.. How about people get over THAT. Do you get that?

So...your solution to the opposing opinions is to keep needling at them so that it creates more disputes?

Ok, yup I got it.

I'm not excusing those who resort to name calling, but the past few pages have been alright as far as this whole honorable PVP argument goes. Then peppered around I see your messages like "don't forget to bow!" etc. which are obviously intended to irritate the people who must have offended you.

I think bowing is cool and the respectful way to duel someone. Do I hate you for not bowing? No. Do other people make a big fuss out of it? Yes. But who cares. Let's at least keep this thread about helping each other rather than arguing about bullshit if people can't handle being adults. All I'm saying is you're fueling the fire for the arguments (as we can see by the results of your last comments about GAF's PVP beliefs).

Zzoram

How do I get to the 4 Kings again? I drained New Londo and killed that blob that shoots out exploding flying skulls, but I can't find the boss fog gate.

Instructions from Firelink would be ideal.

Septimius

Calm down, no one is hurt, and if anyone isn't reading posts, it'd be you.

I use the fog ring. I'm not a troll. It's not the only way I can win. I'm not shortsighted. I have fun using it. Your grand sweeping generalizations are now moot. Enjoy your pvp.

Gonna stop mucking up the OT with this stuff. If you want to continue, shoot me a PM.

Why would you say that I am not reading your posts? What has indicated that to you? I am merely trying to point out that you've made a straw-man when you seemingly argue my arguments against you using a fog ring. Again, I have no trouble with the fog ring, why do you keep mentioning it? I was trying to say that it is obvious that certain elements of this game is over-powered, especially when they already should've been patched out, and there is a patch for them.

Then you say something about my grand generalization? Well, you're such a poor arguer that you've made a completely new discussion for yourself, and won it, because no one stands behind the arguments you claim others have said.

I'm an expert

I really do not care at all if people don't want to bow - I probably bow in less than 1/20 of my fights - but it is a pretty low class move to try to cheese someone in that situation.

My issue is again that you think he's low-class. That he should have abode by some imaginary rule set. You tried to be nice to him, I get it, but I'm sure in his eyes he thought "this idiot, I'm here to kill him, he should have finished me off when the slime attacked me, I won't give him a second chance". This is a stupid thing to say but it's basically a metaphor for how the "real world" works. In the end though, he's the winner, and that's all that counts in a game.

UFRA, you're right, I took it a bit far. My apologies for that. But trying to have a conversation with people and every time you present a point they tell you you're bad, cheap, not having fun, using broken mechanics, or just plain being unfair. It's hard not to get frustrated. I'm not arguing for being some horrible pvper who uses terribly overpowered mechanics. It's just really weird that some of these players feel if you use x or equip y you are clearly THAT kind of player. I'm not, and I don't appreciate thinking me or anyone else is.

Septimius

This is a stupid thing to say but it's basically a metaphor for how the "real world" works. In the end though, he's the winner, and that's all that counts in a game.

And there you have it. I know I can win in this game. It no longer counts to me. What counts to me is to make way for unbiased fights, as in not attacking someone if I invade them and they're in the middle of killing something. That way, I can measure the strengths and weaknesses of my setup and skill, and I can hone them. Because I'm not here to collect trophies, I'm here to try and master a set of skills, and Dark Souls is a wonderful platform to try and do that.

That's why, if you really, really need to win, just send me a message. I'll let you kill me.

How do I get to the 4 Kings again? I drained New Londo and killed that blob that shoots out exploding flying skulls, but I can't find the boss fog gate.

Instructions from Firelink would be ideal.

There is no fog boss gate per se. It's at the bottom of a circular staircase that leads into blackness. if you're not wearing the proper ring, the drop into darkness will kill you. If you're wearing it, that darkness becomes "the abyss."

I'm an expert

And there you have it. I know I can win in this game. It no longer counts to me. What counts to me is to make way for unbiased fights, as in not attacking someone if I invade them and they're in the middle of killing something. That way, I can measure the strengths and weaknesses of my setup and skill, and I can hone them. Because I'm not here to collect trophies, I'm here to try and master a set of skills, and Dark Souls is a wonderful platform to try and do that.

That's why, if you really, really need to win, just send me a message. I'll let you kill me.

See that's a-ok, I totally agree and feel the same. But if someone comes in wearing a certain ring and casting a certain spell non-stop, it's also my responsibility to have the skillset to deal with that. If the game has given that player such outrageously imbalanced tools that I cannot win, well, that'd be a different story. But man..out of..and this isn't an exact number, but I'd say 150 sessions of PVP I have never been like "there's no way I could have won". I've been frustrated by players having superior weapons, or crazy stats and health, but that wasn't something I couldn't overcome, whether with skill or time.

That you want the game/your opponents to be a bit more specific for you so you can enjoy it more, I totally get. But the ones that don't fit into that mold of "fair" or "worthy" for you, don't dismiss them as unskilled or assholes trying to make sure no one has fun. I have truly, honestly not been griefed in anyway in pvp yet. And I don't count someone using certain gear or skills or trying to grief.

I would stop bothering if I were you, some people have the false belief that a game should be played a certain way as intended, like they were part of the dev team or something.

Keeping playing with the tools that the game provided anyway you see fun and enjoyable for you, if it's imbalanced it will get patched if not, sucks for the people whining.

Random people calling names on the internet is the least of my worries.

scosher

See that's a-ok, I totally agree and feel the same. But if someone comes in wearing a certain ring and casting a certain spell non-stop, it's also my responsibility to have the skillset to deal with that. If the game has given that player such outrageously imbalanced tools that I cannot win, well, that'd be a different story. But man..out of..and this isn't an exact number, but I'd say 150 sessions of PVP I have never been like "there's no way I could have won". I've been frustrated by players having superior weapons, or crazy stats and health, but that wasn't something I couldn't overcome, whether with skill or time.

That you want the game/your opponents to be a bit more specific for you so you can enjoy it more, I totally get. But the ones that don't fit into that mold of "fair" or "worthy" for you, don't dismiss them as unskilled or assholes trying to make sure no one has fun. I have truly, honestly not been griefed in anyway in pvp yet. And I don't count someone using certain gear or skills or trying to grief.

To be fair, aren't you playing on 1.05 on the Japanese version? Where all these issues are already fixed with Ring of Fog and TWoP?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I would stop bothering if I were you, some people have the false belief that a game should be played a cretin way as intended, like they were part of the dev team or something.

Keeping playing with the tools that the game provided anyway you see fun and enjoyable for you, if it's imbalanced it will get patched if not, sucks for the people whining.

Random people calling names on the internet is the least of my worries.

Freudian slip.

My issue is again that you think he's low-class. That he should have abode by some imaginary rule set. You tried to be nice to him, I get it, but I'm sure in his eyes he thought "this idiot, I'm here to kill him, he should have finished me off when the slime attacked me, I won't give him a second chance". This is a stupid thing to say but it's basically a metaphor for how the "real world" works. In the end though, he's the winner, and that's all that counts in a game.

Actually, humans in general are equipped with a natural sense of justice and reciprocity, and in the real world when someone does someone else a kindness, the average person is far more likely to respond in kind than to take advantage of them. In the game world there is no accountability, so a person can easily take advantage. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's not a parallel to real life as you suggest.

edit: I guess I'm under-emphasizing the fact that this all happened within a context in which two players must fight to the death, so maybe feelings of reciprocity are not at play here in the way I am suggesting.

Anyway, it sucks that there are shitty, hard-to-defend-against tactics in the game, but I can't fault anyone for using them if they are available. It's the designer's responsibility to patch out problems like this and control the players' behavior.

tokkun

You seem to assume that he won the fight. He didn't.

That may highlight our difference in philosophy about the game. I didn't feel it necessary to say "I still kicked his ass!" because the outcome of the fight was less important to me than the quality of the interaction I got with the other player.

I should probably mention that after I originally posted that story, the guy sent me a message on PSN apologizing for it, so he evidently felt like it was a low-class move too.

Let me remind you of the actual scenario that started the discussion of bowing, because it was pretty much the exact opposite of that.

1. I am about to engage a guy in the Depths. Just as he reaches me, a slime falls on his head.
2. Rather than easily killing him while he is paralyzed, I do the wave gesture.
3. After the slime wears off, I stand still and allow him to back off and heal.
4. When he finally comes back, I bow to him and he attacks me while I'm bowing.

Hahaha. I think this is brilliant, personally. In most games I'm all for being a good sport, and I don't play PVP in Demon's/Dark, but I think this is very fitting of the game. You had a chance to take advantage of his misfortune but showed compassion and respect. In return, he saw a moment of weakness and decided to absolutely fuck you up. That is quite a beautiful metaphor for the game, really. It's a harsh world and anything goes, it should be no different in PVP :D

Anyway, I'm currently trying to take on Sif as he seems like my easiest option. I've joined the clan so I don't get attacked on my way to him, and I deal a LOT of damage to him with one strike (200ish), but fucking hell, if he gets more than one hit in it's often over. It's hard to even find time to heal. My tactic is currently staying close, blocking his swings as best I can and getting under his belly to attack with my lightning spear. I think that will ultimately be the best tactic, but I'm going to have to work on learning his signs that he's going to do a certain attack and figure out a better method of avoiding him. It won't take too many blows to down him (got him down to around 50% a few times) so it's just a matter of getting them in.

I personally feel that
it's a bit of a shame he uses a big sword. A giant wolf is such a cool enemy - I would've liked it if he tried to maul you etc.

It just doesn't feel very intimidating... I guess it's a bit... I dunno, anime?

A big wolf shouldn't need a weapon to fuck you up. He'd be a lot scarier if he just pounced at you and you had to avoid being chewed up. I was so excited when I saw him and then it was just kinda "oh, I have to avoid sword swings..."

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I should probably mention that after I originally posted that story, the guy sent me a message on PSN apologizing for it, so he evidently felt like it was a low-class move too.
Aww, that's sweet. Makes me feel better about the situation (the fact that you did win in the end is cool, too, but I appreciate why you didn't bring that to light at first).
Hahaha. I think this is brilliant, personally. In most games I'm all for being a good sport, and I don't play PVP in Demon's/Dark, but I think this is very fitting of the game. You had a chance to take advantage of his misfortune but showed compassion and respect. In return, he saw a moment of weakness and decided to absolutely fuck you up. That is quite a beautiful metaphor for the game, really. It's a harsh world and anything goes, it should be no different in PVP :D

Anyway, I'm currently trying to take on Sif as he seems like my easiest option. I've joined the clan so I don't get attacked on my way to him, and I deal a LOT of damage to him with one strike (200ish), but fucking hell, if he gets more than one hit in it's often over. It's hard to even find time to heal. My tactic is currently staying close, blocking his swings as best I can and getting under his belly to attack with my lightning spear. I think that will ultimately be the best tactic, but I'm going to have to work on learning his signs that he's going to do a certain attack and figure out a better method of avoiding him. It won't take too many blows to down him (got him down to around 50% a few times) so it's just a matter of getting them in.

I personally feel that
it's a bit of a shame he uses a big sword. A giant wolf is such a cool enemy - I would've liked it if he tried to maul you etc.
Man, people like us who don't PvP (yet) shouldn't really get involved in this argument. It's gone on far too long, but you make a decent point. Demon's/Dark Souls is a messed up world, and it's very much the gaming equivalent of:
nwg8l.gif

Anyhoo, about Sif. I suggest being at least <50% encumbered, as I found rolling was a much more effective technique than blocking during this fight.

You are absolutely right to get in close. I was using a spear as well, which is fiddly nailing the timing after some of his attacks, but still do-able if you're happy with the weapon.

His nastiest attack is by far the one where he does a little charge and swipe at you (after creating some distance). At least get the roll timing down for that, even if you must block everything else.

Just stay close and stay patient (if you have Combustion, using it to tenderise him a bit at the start is good as well). When he's at around 25% health the fight becomes easier, so just keep at it :)

Septimius

It just doesn't feel very intimidating... I guess it's a bit... I dunno, anime?

A big wolf shouldn't need a weapon to fuck you up. He'd be a lot scarier if he just pounced at you and you had to avoid being chewed up. I was so excited when I saw him and then it was just kinda "oh, I have to avoid sword swings..."

I thought the fight was great, probably the most memorable boss in the game. But that being said, it probably could have been even more awesome with a straight up fight with a huge wolf. And just as memorable.

I'm seriously itching to play this game. It's been over a week since I finished it and I want to start my NG+ asap, but the monkeys at namco won't let me.

matmanx1

My Save File is approaching 110 hours and I'm only 1/3rd of the way into NG+. I just decided I wanted to move on to Uncharted 3 (which won't take me long) and some other smaller, shorter games in my backlog and wait on the patch before I pick this back up.

I ultimately want to get the Platinum Trophy for Dark Souls but with the patch making several trophies more attainable in a shorter amount of time there is a very good reason to not be in a hurry.

Still playing Demon's Souls and just took down False King.

lol, what a joke. This dude is no where near as hard as Gwyn. I had him on 10% health my first try and had to quit so I could answer the door then came back and killed him after reloading. He's so freaking slow and telegraphs like a mofo. The only way I could see it being hard is if you have a crap shield.

This was all melee btw (besides knocking him out if his AoE with soul arrow)

What a disappointment. I left him for last because I was expecting a challenge.

Anyway after I beat him the ground in the center of The Nexus shattered and the Maiden took me somewhere when I wanted to level up. Why won't she let me level up?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Somebody invaded me on my way up to fight the Iron Golem for the third time. I just ignored it 'cause I was about to get on the cage elevator and he would disappear when I reached the fog.

Of course as soon as I step into the cage he comes out of nowhere and back-stabs me, sending me falling to sticky tar ground far below. I quickly equip the rusted ring and run over to the ladder when an idea hits me - ill troll him on the ladder.

So I start climbing and of course he takes whacks at me and starts climbing up after me. When I almost get to the top I slow down and start kicking him in the face. He tries to fight back but I pound him a couple more times and he falls to the floor taking about half his life off. He climbs up again and I repeat. I was already smiling when he was chasing me but by then I was laughing out loud.

He finally got a clue and ran away so I just went up to Golem and it said he had been evicted. Good times.
3AQmK.gif

Zzoram

lol, what a joke. This dude is no where near as hard as Gwyn. I had him on 10% health my first try and had to quit so I could answer the door then came back and killed him after reloading. He's so freaking slow and telegraphs like a mofo. The only way I could see it being hard is if you have a crap shield.

Anyway after I beat him the ground in the center of The Nexus shattered and the Maiden took me somewhere when I wanted to level up. Why won't she let me level up?

You beat the game. You have to now do the final thing (kill some weak ass monster under a tree, then either leaving for the good ending or killing the maiden for the bad ending) before being transported to NG+, where you will have to beat the 1-1 phalanx boss and talk to the monk kid upstairs of the Nexus to be able to level up.

Mine was completely the opposite. False King was almost as hard as Flamelurker, While I beat Gwyn on my 2nd try (or 3rd forgot)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Somebody invaded me on my way up to fight the Iron Golem for the third time. I just ignored it 'cause I was about to get on the cage elevator and he would disappear when I reached the fog.

Of course as soon as I step into the cage he comes out of nowhere and back-stabs me, sending me falling to sticky tar ground far below. I quickly equip the rusted ring and run over to the ladder when an idea hits me - ill troll him on the ladder.

So I start climbing and of course he takes whacks at me and starts climbing up after me. When I almost get to the top I slow down and start kicking him in the face. He tries to fight back but I pound him a couple more times and he falls to the floor taking about half his life off. He climbs up again and I repeat. I was already smiling when he was chasing me but by then I was laughing out loud.

He finally got a clue and ran away so I just went up to Golem and it said he had been evicted. Good times.
3AQmK.gif
Hah, good story. Can just imagine him climbing back up again "why I oughta..."

How do you get those cage lifts to work, by the way?
And where is the key to open that one with the sorcerer in?

For me it depends on your character's build. Allant was harder to fight up close but got owned at range because he's telegraphed, whereas Gwyn can be parried to death but will stomp you if you try to fight at range without using cheap Strong Magic Shield shenanigans.

EDIT: Oh, and some awesome Elite Knight PvP stuff. I wish our PvP was cool and varied like that instead of most sheeple going "lol Claymore".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIFJ-YMEzIY

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Hah, good story. Can just imagine him climbing back up again "why I oughta..."

How do you get those cage lifts to work, by the way?
And where is the key to open that one with the sorcerer in?

The Master Key opens the cages in the prison area. The elevator cage key is all the way at the bottom of the tower where the merchant hangs out - the one you get to by jumping over that little gap.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
The Master Key opens the cages in the prison area. The elevator cage key is all the way at the bottom of the tower where the merchant hangs out - the one you get to by jumping over that little gap.
Oh, boo. No Master Key.
I haven't met that merchant - may I ask, which little gap are you referring to?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, gotcha! I tried jumping that gap once but fell and got sidetracked.
Looks like it's back to Sen's for some more exploring tonight.
Many thanks!

All that the fight requires is for you to hang back and let him come to you then hit him a couple of times and back away -> repeat.

I was expecting him to go berserk like Flamelurker (who was much harder) but he never did.

Excluding magic for both (lol) Gwyn can knock you around like a rag doll if your poise is too low. Anyone wearing light armour who likes to fight at a range will get obliterated. If your parry skills aren't up to scratch you'll get obliterated. Allant is really lazy in comparison although I did stay at a range where he had to do his dash to get in. He might be harder face to face, I dunno.

Also I'm going to
kill the maiden and get her soul
. Soulsucker looks hot.

Flunkie

Banned
Holy balls. I just started playing this game with no prior experience with these games and the first dragon kicked my ass like 5 times in a row. I got lucky and got stuck behind his legs and swung the crap out of my Broadsword.

I'm playing as a Knight with the Master Key - good decisions for a newbie? I'm in Blighttown right now and I totally get the title now. :lol

Leunam

Tried to get as much of Smough as I could but I'm no pixel artist.

I'm playing as a Knight with the Master Key - good decisions for a newbie? I'm in Blighttown right now and I totally get the title now. :lol

If you try and use the key on every door you can you may end up breaking the intended sequence for the game. I started with the build as well and I got into places I maybe shouldn't have but I was still able to enjoy the game.

Also, just because you're a Knight doesn't mean you should forgo magic or pyromancy. It wouldn't hurt to give either a try. :)

I'm an expert

I read all the horror stories about Gwyn here..but when I fought him a few days ago I just ran up to him, circle strafed, rolled from the big swing, and cast combustion right in his face about 6x to kill him. Even if I wanted to melee him all I had to do was substitute combustion for 2h swing. There wasn't a need to stay in his face or parry him like every one here suggests. I found Allant much scarier because of his AOE.

Flunkie

Banned
Tried to get as much of Smough as I could but I'm no pixel artist.

If you try and use the key on every door you can you may end up breaking the intended sequence for the game. I started with the build as well and I got into places I maybe shouldn't have but I was still able to enjoy the game.

Also, just because you're a Knight doesn't mean you should forgo magic or pyromancy. It wouldn't hurt to give either a try. :)

Can I still do magic and stuff even though I'm a knight? Also: is there any way at all to pause? I know it's atmospheric or whatever but a lot of my gaming sessions get interrupted.

Also Part II: are the "lost souls of a dead soldier" and humanity whatnot good for anything other than just pressing square to get souls? I feel like there's more of a purpose to them, but I don't know.

Also Part III: Revenge of the Alsos: Rolling into shit is fun.

Thanks for the help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom