• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Can I still do magic and stuff even though I'm a knight? Also: is there any way at all to pause? I know it's atmospheric or whatever but a lot of my gaming sessions get interrupted.

Also Part II: are the "lost souls of a dead soldier" and humanity whatnot good for anything other than just pressing square to get souls? I feel like there's more of a purpose to them, but I don't know.

Also Part III: Revenge of the Alsos: Rolling into shit is fun.

Thanks for the help. :)

If you're like me and you want to discover for yourself what humanity does heres a kinda non-spoilery hint:

Humanity does a number of things some of which will become obvious as you play. Make sure to read everything. and explore every option of every menu. Pay attention to the display options along the bottom of all the menu pages. Also try checking your stats to see if any of the numbers changed after eating some Humanity.

The "lost souls of a dead soldier" etc. just give you souls but you will acquire other types like boss souls and firekeeper souls. I don't recommend eating those. :D

All that the fight requires is for you to hang back and let him come to you then hit him a couple of times and back away -> repeat.

I was expecting him to go berserk like Flamelurker (who was much harder) but he never did.

Excluding magic for both (lol) Gwyn can knock you around like a rag doll if your poise is too low. Anyone wearing light armour who likes to fight at a range will get obliterated. If your parry skills aren't up to scratch you'll get obliterated. Allant is really lazy in comparison although I did stay at a range where he had to do his dash to get in. He might be harder face to face, I dunno.

Also I'm going to
kill the maiden and get her soul
. Soulsucker looks hot.

You could go behind a pillar and let his shitty AI pathing do the rest (referring to Gwyn)

Also, the Master Key is the biggest noob trap in the game. If you are playing the game for the first time, don't choose it at all, it will make you go to areas that you shouldn't have otherwise and get your ass kicked. Pick the twin humanities instead and kindle the first bonfire in the Undead Burg.

paul robertson tribute to souls
dsds02.gif

beautiful. great to see the game is getting so much fan support.

Ill Saint

A friend just messaged me that 1.05 is up. Logged on and didn't get any update, but I'm on AU PSN while he's NA. Can anyone here verify?

maomaoIYP

OMG PATCH IS LIVE
360, asia here

Not a moment too soon, just when I was getting sick of MW3. Those Twop + fog ring dicks I fought last night are in for a surprise.

I thought the fight was great, probably the most memorable boss in the game. But that being said, it probably could have been even more awesome with a straight up fight with a huge wolf. And just as memorable.

Yeah, this is my point. He is a cool boss, but he could be so much cooler.

I'll make him pay for it by slaying him today :D

Flunkie

Banned
Also, the Master Key is the biggest noob trap in the game. If you are playing the game for the first time, don't choose it at all, it will make you go to areas that you shouldn't have otherwise and get your ass kicked. Pick the twin humanities instead and kindle the first bonfire in the Undead Burg.

Interesting. What would be the best class to start out with, using Twin Humanities?

Done with Demon's. Final playtime of 28 hours.

I'm not sure if it was because I played it as someone familiar with the formula but it didn't come across as the revelation it must have been a couple years ago. I can see why someone would like it more than Dark in the same way someone might like SMB more than SMB3. I admit there were some really cool levels like 1-1, 1-3, 3-2 and 4-2, besides those the rest were pretty run of the mill (2-2 had the makings of an interesting level but it was a bit too convoluted). There is that joyous feeling that you get when you open up a shortcut next to the archstone (especially in that god forsaken hell hole 5-2) that's missing from its spiritual sequel, I thought that was pretty great too.

A couple of negatives are the horrible material requirements for equipment upgrades and stupid world tendency shit making me miss out on a few weapons/characters. Also the lame archdemons barely being a step up in difficulty from their sub-bosses. Old Monk had some potential but I didn't get to fight BP. AI controlled version is pretty loltastic. I could have made some of them harder like not wearing a thief's ring to avoid the Storm King's offspring or pretending to not see how obvious Dragon God's gimmick was. I dunno, I was expecting some fools that were like hulked up Flamelurkers on crack.

Overall I'd say it's a great game that was bested by a sequel with shitty online. I could ramble more but I'll leave it at that.

methane47

So i just started playing the game and I wanted some help (First play through)

I just beat the 2 gargoyles.
1. when i went to the cage the prisoner had already escaped and I found him at the main bonfire. I heard he has a good ring. Should I kill him now for it? or try later so i can get the armor too.

2. I have the Drake sword. But I'm not sure should i still be using it? Or should i be upgrading other weapons now to use instead?

.GqueB.

Banned
So i just started playing the game and I wanted some help (First play through)

I just beat the 2 gargoyles.
1. when i went to the cage the prisoner had already escaped and I found him at the main bonfire. I heard he has a good ring. Should I kill him now for it? or try later so i can get the armor too.
2. I have the Drake sword. But I'm not sure should i still be using it? Or should i be upgrading other weapons now to use instead?

Hm... I WANT to tell you. But I feel I would be cheating you.

Do what you think is best. U_U

oh my god the text changes in this patch SUCK

why did they change "You Recovered" to "Retrieval"? "You Recovered" makes infinitely more sense, I don't get why they'd change english to engrish

R.I.P. Text. I will miss thee.

patch is up but not in Euroland? nooooooooooooooooooooo

oh well, i'll keep waiting.

i've had tons of fun lately with the forest covenant, i'm only level 38 and i'm constantly invading all those 200-400 level douches camping the forest with full havel gear, TWOP, 2000hp and so on.... but they don't know that i have fucking kickass gear and i'm a fast, cunning motherfucker. if i notice i'm outmatched, i equip the fog ring and hide behind trees waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike with my Chaos Knife... i backstab them once out of nowhere and take more than half their hp, they panic and start running away to heal, but they can't because i also threw a Lloyd's Talisman (usually without lock-on from a mile away, because i'm the man), so they get backstabbed again and die. and i get 500,000 souls.

this one Havel-wannabe asshole was hiding in the building with Avina, with the fog ring, thinking that i can't see him (i didn't, but i heard his silly armor clunking). so i just walked in slowly without a shield like a boss, only my Parrying Dagger and Chaos Knife in hand, knowing he would try to attack me with some slow ass axe or something, and at the first sight of movement i parried and BAM, got him, and riposted his burning body to the goddamn ground (Hornet ring animation ftw). that felt so good. too good.

fuck you overleveled forest campers, your days of griefing low level players are over!

the above stories are an exception to the rule of me getting destroyed almost every time lol :(

one85x

The amount of soul signs appearing/disappearing at the second bonfire in Blighttown is glorious. Also, Hollow Shield +6 < Balder Shield +0 (62 to 63 stability).

The amount of soul signs appearing/disappearing at the second bonfire in Blighttown is glorious. Also, Hollow Shield +6 < Balder Shield +0 (62 to 63 stability).

did the patch really increase co-op connectivity? i'll be REALLY happy if i can get summoned now in less than 10-20 minutes...

Yeah, this is my point. He is a cool boss, but he could be so much cooler.

I'll make him pay for it by slaying him today :D

It doesn't help that he's a fucking pushover. I went in with all these horror stories, and beat him first try without any effort. I had more difficulty with the mushroom men than Sif.

Foli: Most weapons got a slight buff to to changes to stat scaling. The things that go the nerf bat were RoF, some sorceries and pyromancies, most notably TWoP and Iron Flesh, and Elite Knight armor, although that last one was de-nerfed slightly.

scosher

Hrmm, Skyrim has its fingers wrapped around me, but not enough to put back in Dark Souls to check out all the new changes when I get home from work.

one85x

did the patch really increase co-op connectivity? i'll be REALLY happy if i can get summoned now in less than 10-20 minutes...
Yep. At one point there were 5 soul signs on the screen at once. It could have been because no one was being summoned, but the opportunity to be is definitely there.

A couple of negatives are the horrible material requirements for equipment upgrades and stupid world tendency shit making me miss out on a few weapons/characters. Also the lame archdemons barely being a step up in difficulty from their sub-bosses. Old Monk had some potential but I didn't get to fight BP. AI controlled version is pretty loltastic. I could have made some of them harder like not wearing a thief's ring to avoid the Storm King's offspring or pretending to not see how obvious Dragon God's gimmick was. I dunno, I was expecting some fools that were like hulked up Flamelurkers on crack.

Sheesh. You know you can change the world tendency right? Also, you keep talking about the enemies/bosses as if they are super easy speed bumps. They really aren't as stupid or easy as you make them sound. How exactly is Dragon God a gimmick? Just because it's not a straight up fight?

Sheesh. You know you can change the world tendency right? Also, you keep talking about the enemies/bosses as if they are super easy speed bumps. They really aren't as stupid or easy as you make them sound. How exactly is Dragon God a gimmick? Just because it's not a straight up fight?

Well, to be fair, it is a bit gimmicky him just perfectly lining up with those spears is a bit contrived.

Well, to be fair, it is a bit gimmicky him just perfectly lining up with those spears is a bit contrived.

I always just assumed that machinery was in place to restrain the Dragon if ever need be. Which engaged my imagination about how he got there and who was trying to contain him.

Well, contrivance or not, the gameplay set forth of reaching each goal without getting killed and then finishing him off was fun and never felt gimmicky to me. If anything it was incredibly refreshing.

I'm not saying they're all easy. Just that I was under the impression that the pre-arch demon bosses were a taste of things to come. I took on Flamelurker early on and after the ass kicking he gave me I was very cautious about walking through that next fog wall. When I finally did a few hours later I was greeted with this huge dragon with a pair of conveniently placed harpoons pointed straight at him.

I'm not saying it "durr that was easy" rather I was expecting them to be harder seeing as most of them have an archstone right next to them and in some cases the prior boss provided more of a challenge. Maneater and Flamelurker in particular. I thought a precedent had been set... I'll how NG+ goes.

Also I found out late about changing the world tendency and wasted a bunch of ephemeral eyes because I didn't go offline. Not saying it can't be dealt with but I'd rather not.

TheFatOne

I feel so dumb. I kept loosing to the Capra Demon easily, and I forgot I was still wearing my beginners armor. Once I switched out the fight was much easier I beat him on the second try. Went to the depths and made it to the boss. I was like ohh small crocodile like creature shouldn't be too hard. Then he finished coming out of the water and I thought fuuuu

Sullichin

Ornstein's armor = nerfed in 1.05? I hope not, I just started using it recently. Kind of terrified about my pyromancy doing less damage!

Ourobolus

Banned
I feel so dumb. I kept loosing to the Capra Demon easily, and I forgot I was still wearing my beginners armor. Once I switched out the fight was much easier I beat him on the second try. Went to the depths and made it to the boss. I was like ohh small crocodile like creature shouldn't be too hard. Then he finished coming out of the water and I thought fuuuu
Yeah, he's very intimidating, which is funny since he's one of the easier bosses.

Futureman

I feel so dumb. I kept loosing to the Capra Demon easily, and I forgot I was still wearing my beginners armor. Once I switched out the fight was much easier I beat him on the second try.

I just got to Capra as well and I have my best armor and he whoooped me. Gotta level up some maybe? I think I'm around level 27 right now, what are you?

I also just found my first ring... Blue Tearstone Ring. Says it increases my defense when my HP is low. Is there any reason NOT to just put this on and leave it on for now?

edit: and my new avatar is kind of inspired by Dark Souls. I'm starting up on a little animated short, and the guy in my avatar is the main character.

TheFatOne

I just got to Capra as well and I have my best armor and he whoooped me. Gotta level up some maybe? I think I'm around level 27 right now, what are you?

I also just found my first ring... Blue Tearstone Ring. Says it increases my defense when my HP is low. Is there any reason NOT to just put this on and leave it on for now?

I was like like lvl45 or so. Once you take out the two dogs he is much easier to deal with.

Futureman

I was like like lvl45 or so. Once you take out the two dogs he is much easier to deal with.

so we are at similar points in the game, but you are ~18 levels ahead of me. Did you just farm/level up a lot at some point? I have a little so far, but I guess next time I play, I should just devote a few hours to leveling up. It takes awhile to get 5,000 souls now though.

one85x

Upgrading a shield to +5, preferably a Balder Shield from the knights in the church, should be enough to defeat the Capra Demon. Really the hardest part about the fight is losing 80% of your health as soon as you walk through the fog to that overhead jumping attack.

You can buy Twinkling Titanite now...but you don't really need to. I'm getting 2-3 per run in the Crystal Caves.
That's good to hear. You should try out New Londo to see if Titanite Slabs are any easier to get.

Ourobolus

Banned
If it's all you have, go for it. There's no reason not to. You'll find much more useful rings later on though.

TheFatOne

so we are at similar points in the game, but you are ~18 levels ahead of me. Did you just farm/level up a lot at some point? I have a little so far, but I guess next time I play, I should just devote a few hours to leveling up. It takes awhile to get 5,000 souls now though.

There is a nice way to farm after you unlock the door in Darkroot Basin. It costs 20,000 to unlock, but it's more than worth it for me. It's really cheap way to level up, but I don't give a damn.

Edit: If you are interested I can post the youtube link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom