• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldvein

Banned
Equipment burden needs to be under 50% for full speed roll. I'm not even sure it's possible with stone armor (or any of the really heavy stuff) unless you double up havel's ring and wood grain ring. (Even at 99 end, equip burden is surprisingly low.)

ahh, thanks. one more thing: i've got several "unique" boss souls now and haven't yet found an opportunity to use any of them to make special weapons and whatnot.. without spoiling anything..am i missing something, or will it be blatantly apparent when the time comes to use them?

Sullichin

ahh, thanks. one more thing: i've got several "unique" boss souls now and haven't yet found an opportunity to use any of them to make special weapons and whatnot.. without spoiling anything..am i missing something, or will it be blatantly apparent when the time comes to use them?

It's not blatantly apparent. The
Anor Londo
blacksmith can craft boss weapons from +10 weapons. I wouldn't even know which weapons I could use if it weren't for the internet...

I'm pushing 400 hours and I haven't done much with any of them. You need a +10 weapon before the option pops up in most cases, so unless you're running around with various +10 weapons, no, it won't be apparent. Research will be needed.
Ah beaten.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Something weird happened to me last night.

These two dudes invaded me and started casting Soul Arrows. I kept a good distance, rolled and the spells came nowhere near me. Yet every time they cast it my shield did a little spark animation and I took chip damage. It was oddest thing I've experienced in PvP thus far. And once they saw it was working they just spammed it until I was dead and there was nothing I could do.

I just got Iaito+10 and am trying to get the lightning upgrade but the Undead Parish blacksmith isn't doing it. Do I have to go to Anor Londo for that?

Also, after the latest patch, is it still worth going the elemental route or should I go with Iaito+15?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I just got Iaito+10 and am trying to get the lightning upgrade but the Undead Parish blacksmith isn't doing it. Do I have to go to Anor Londo for that?

Also, after the latest patch, is it still worth going the elemental route or should I go with Iaito+15?

Elemental was only slightly downgraded. I think if you don't want to pump a lot of points into STR or DEX elemental is still very viable for the first playthrough. Eventually the lack of scaling will be a problem (in NG+, I mean), but I had zero problems dominating enemies up until the end of the game with +5 lightning Claymore and Uchigatana. I'm at SL85 now with 20 STR and 20 DEX, and I'm about to fight the last boss. During NG+ I'll have to pump stats into DEX or STR to exceed my current attack power. Someone with actual NG+ experience may have better advice than me, though.

If you're more interested in PvP, I don't know if my advice applies.

scosher

Cool. Do you think Iaito+10 is good enough for Sen's Fortress? I'm using a Crest Shield and Thief armor.

If I recall, the lizardmen in Sen's are pretty resistant to physical damage (Drake Sword sucks too there), so you could make a Magic +5 weapon at that point or simply wait to get the Lightning Spear in a chest inside Sen's
Beware when opening

Zimbardo

how can one kill the red dragon on the bridge since the 1.05 patch?

i tried to kill him from the tower behind him with bow/arrow, he flew up to the middle of the bridge and disappeared like he used to ...i figured he'd be dead like before, but he wasn't.

he was back where he always was guarding that gate.

Quite the opposite, I found. All of the stuff at the beginning of the game that took me hours to painstakingly work my way through went by very quickly on my second playthrough. At 6 hours in, I'm ready to fight Quelaag. On my first playthrough, that probably took me at least 20 hours.

Start a new game. You'll enjoy it.

Thanks for the advice and the support :)

Yep, I started a new game and I think I spent more time adjusting her face than actually playing but I got to the first boar, got to level 13 and engaged in some co-op operation in less than one hour. It is pretty nice using your skill instead of your equipment :)

I have one small doubt though... I got past the Hellkite Drake (?) on my first NG by killing him with a single arrow from the Black Knight tower (I didn't know it was glitched :/) and then again on NG+ (just today) because I had Gold-Hemmed set and I knew I could take the damage.

But on a new character (Bandit) is it safe or even doable to get past him? I wanna be a sunbro as soon as I can because I couldn't with my first character.

.GqueB.

Banned
Something weird happened to me last night.

These two dudes invaded me and started casting Soul Arrows. I kept a good distance, rolled and the spells came nowhere near me. Yet every time they cast it my shield did a little spark animation and I took chip damage. It was oddest thing I've experienced in PvP thus far. And once they saw it was working they just spammed it until I was dead and there was nothing I could do.

Sounds like lag. You "saw" them throw it a little after they actually did so you dodged based on that. Happens to me all the time.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Man getting the sunlight medals seems like a bitch

It's really not that bad. I had trouble at first because I was throwing my summoning sign down outside the boss door, but anymore people seem to do all their summoning at the bonfires. Once I started putting my sign down at the bonfire I got 10 Sunlight Medals in about 90 minutes, on top of around 200,000 souls. Quite civil, all told.

Well, if you ignore the chronic invasions and pantslessness.

oracrest

I imagine this has already been posted, but so good... (Paul Robertson of Scott Pilgrim/Pirate baby Cabana Battle game fame)

paulrobertson.gif

Elemental was only slightly downgraded. I think if you don't want to pump a lot of points into STR or DEX elemental is still very viable for the first playthrough. Eventually the lack of scaling will be a problem (in NG+, I mean), but I had zero problems dominating enemies up until the end of the game with +5 lightning Claymore and Uchigatana. I'm at SL85 now with 20 STR and 20 DEX, and I'm about to fight the last boss. During NG+ I'll have to pump stats into DEX or STR to exceed my current attack power. Someone with actual NG+ experience may have better advice than me, though.

If you're more interested in PvP, I don't know if my advice applies.

I just got the Lightning Spear and upgraded it to +2. Would it be redundant to give Iaito lightning at this point? I'm tempted to keep it normal and upgrade my DEX.

And WTF at those swinging blades. Just got knocked off on that very narrow ledge after the gear room. Now I have to start back at the undead parish.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I just got the Lightning Spear and upgraded it to +2. Would it be redundant to give Iaito lightning at this point? I'm tempted to keep it normal and upgrade my DEX.

And WTF at those swinging blades. Just got knocked off on that very narrow ledge after the gear room. Now I have to start back at the undead parish.

I don't think it would be redundant; lightning seems to be effective against many enemy types, and it's a relatively cheap way to gain lots of attack power. You'll want a fire weapon for the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants, though.

Looking at the Dark Souls stats calculator (http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/) at 40 DEX and +15 Iaito your attack power would be 410. +5 lightning path maxes out at 488 total. However, when you add weapon enchantments to the mix, the non-elemental weapon must be stronger.

I just don't see how it's worth the souls to go non-elemental (at least with an emphasis on DEX), but someone probably knows something I don't.

As for the last set of swinging blades, it really helps to have <25% burden movement speed. Once you get past that part you're not too far from a bonfire, I think.

scosher

I don't think it would be redundant; lightning seems to be effective against many enemy types, and it's a relatively cheap way to gain lots of attack power. You'll want a fire weapon for the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants, though.

Looking at the Dark Souls stats calculator (http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/) at 40 DEX and +15 Iaito your attack power would be 410. +5 lightning path maxes out at 488 total. However, when you add weapon enchantments to the mix, the non-elemental weapon must be stronger.

I just don't see how it's worth the souls to go non-elemental (at least with an emphasis on DEX), but someone probably knows something I don't.

As for the last set of swinging blades, it really helps to have <25% burden movement speed. Once you get past that part you're not too far from a bonfire, I think.

There's also benefits to having all your damage only go through one resistance. Defenses seem to work at a flat damage reduction number, rather than a % (which is also why higher defenses with heavy armor really don't provide much more mitigation than light armor). If, for example, 250 phys def and 250 lightning def worked to reduce phys and lightning damage by 50% respectively, then split damage really wouldn't matter. 500 phys. damage reduced in half would be no different than a 250/250 elemental split with each type reduced in half.

But in this game, it works instead so that 250 phys def and 250 lightning def reduces x amount of physical/lightning damage respectively, so having to go through both resistances lowers your damage more.

Also, that's just a simplification. The exact damage formula is unknown to me, and isn't exactly a flat reduction otherwise there'd be times you'd do 0 damage with a weapon. But it definitely penalizes you for having split damage.

For example, Moonlight Greatsword is considered awesome not only because of its S rank in scaling, but it does only magic damage, and I think it's the only elemental/magic weapon in the game that only does one type (besides physical weapons). So my Moonlight Greatsword +5 actually outdamages my Lightning Iaito +5 (or Enchanted Uchigatana, if you want to compare same damage type), despite both of them showing the exact same AR in the character screen.

TheFatOne

Man I can't cut off Seeths tail. Whenever I got to attack it he does that move with his tail. I try and be patient but all he does is turn around. When I evade his aoe move he immediately does his tail move.

Man I can't cut off Seeths tail. Whenever I got to attack it he does that move with his tail. I try and be patient but all he does is turn around. When I evade his aoe move he immediately does his tail move.

Same here. I just said fuck it and killed him. I'll worry about that next playthrough.

Grinchy

Banned

Check out some Youtube videos. I gave up and just killed him before I saw the easy method of doing it. Basically when the fight starts you run behind him, but don't hit the crystal that lets you do damage to him. Let him break it for you. That way, he's close to you and staggered, and the tip of his tail is completely exposed while you have time to run at it.

Septimius

Thanks for the advice and the support :)

Yep, I started a new game and I think I spent more time adjusting her face than actually playing but I got to the first boar, got to level 13 and engaged in some co-op operation in less than one hour. It is pretty nice using your skill instead of your equipment :)

I have one small doubt though... I got past the Hellkite Drake (?) on my first NG by killing him with a single arrow from the Black Knight tower (I didn't know it was glitched :/) and then again on NG+ (just today) because I had Gold-Hemmed set and I knew I could take the damage.

But on a new character (Bandit) is it safe or even doable to get past him? I wanna be a sunbro as soon as I can because I couldn't with my first character.

It's very doable. As long as you're in the middle of the bridge, the dragon will jump down when you're just standing out of his fire range. When he does that, run past him. This is how I obtain the Dragon Sword when I start a new game. I don't just run past, I run in and whack on his tail.

ixix

It's a bit of a huge pain, yeah. I managed it by getting my equip burden below 25% then standing in front of him until he did his straight-line crystal breath, then sprinting behind him as soon as he began the animation. If you time it right you can reach the tail in time to get a swing or two in, depending on how much stamina you have left after the mad dash.

If you've upgraded your Pyromancy Flame enough Greater Combustion can take the tail off in just a handful of casts, which helps tremendously.

Check out some Youtube videos. I gave up and just killed him before I saw the easy method of doing it. Basically when the fight starts you run behind him, but don't hit the crystal that lets you do damage to him. Let him break it for you. That way, he's close to you and staggered, and the tip of his tail is completely exposed while you have time to run at it.

This is the best way, but it requires you know what to do before fighting him the first time. Anyone who's been trying to get the tail off for a while has presumably already broken the crystal, and so can't rely on the stun from its destruction to take out the tail.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The crystal respawns though. It took me about 3 tries using the "let him break the crystal" method. The key is to keep luring him closer and closer, that way your sprint should be a very short one. Dual wield your biggest 2h and whack..only took me one hit from my +5 Black Knight Sword.

TheFatOne

It's a bit of a huge pain, yeah. I managed it by getting my equip burden below 25% then standing in front of him until he did his straight-line crystal breath, then sprinting behind him as soon as he began the animation. If you time it right you can reach the tail in time to get a swing or two in, depending on how much stamina you have left after the mad dash.

If you've upgraded your Pyromancy Flame enough Greater Combustion can take the tail off in just a handful of casts, which helps tremendously.

This is the best way, but it requires you know what to do before fighting him the first time. Anyone who's been trying to get the tail off for a while has presumably already broken the crystal, and so can't rely on the stun from its destruction to take out the tail.

Fuuuuuu why didn't I think of this. My glove is fully leveled.

Edit: I finally did it. I didn't even use my pyromancy. I just got extremely lucky. For some reason he did the aoe move when I got behind him. Gave me all the time I needed. He was extremely easy to beat after that.

Minamu

I need help :( Gwyn is killing me, figuratively. What parry shield should I use? I absolutely suck at parrying and tried it with the black knight shield with no upgrades and he drains pretty much all my stamina in one or two hits so I can't even practice my parry before I'm dead >_< I'm lvl 140 on ng+ with a fire gargoyle axe+10 and lifehunt scythe+5. Saw some videos where they used the stone armor for poise?

ixix

The crystal respawns though. It took me about 3 tries using the "let him break the crystal" method. The key is to keep luring him closer and closer, that way your sprint should be a very short one. Dual wield your biggest 2h and whack..only took me one hit from my +5 Black Knight Sword.

I always had no end of trouble baiting him into destroying the crystal when entering via the fog door. Might be because all the rematch attempts I've made have been in co-op and I couldn't reliably draw aggro from him, so maybe it's easier to get him to do it if you're solo.

Fuuuuuu why didn't I think of this. My glove is fully leveled.

Fully leveled you should be able to get it off in two shots. Or at least you could pre-patch. 1.05 may make it need a three-fer.

Wool

Looking at the Dark Souls stats calculator (http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/)

Oh this is good! It seems like occult or unique faith scaling weapons almost completely stop doing more damage at 40 faith. Does anyone know if that sunlight spear miracle is good or is it slow like the other lightning bolts? I was planning on getting to 50, but it does not seem worth it now if I could put 10 extra points into vitality.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I need help :( Gwyn is killing me, figuratively. What parry shield should I use? I absolutely suck at parrying and tried it with the black knight shield with no upgrades and he drains pretty much all my stamina in one or two hits so I can't even practice my parry before I'm dead >_< I'm lvl 140 on ng+ with a fire gargoyle axe+10 and lifehunt scythe+5. Saw some videos where they used the stone armor for poise?

If you want to tank him, yeah a heavy armor set and wolf's ring along with a great shield will definitely keep you up. If you have any sorceries or pyro though I suggest just rolling around (with some form of stamina regen) and casting at him as it's pretty hard to get hit when you kite him.

I can't really fight Priscilla for some reason I just feel really bad about fighting her. Maybe it's because she is the only boss that asked me to leave.

I'm like this with the Daughter of Chaos. I will never, ever kill the spider queen :(

gonna spare Priscilla on NG+ also.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I could be wrong but if you want to get Seath's tail it's best to do it on your first run-through since it will take more damage to get it to come off in NG+, correct?

I basically gave up on the stun strategy and spent a lot of time circling him and waiting for him to commit to attacks. If you're patient and are willing to wait until you get lucky and he whiffs hard while his tail is facing out you can eventually get it. It helps to lure him to different parts of the room and bait him until you get a sense where the best approach is.

Right then, I got Drakes Sword from the Dragons tail in the Burg. It seems very powerful like people said here, although he has made my character move a lot slower, so need to increase weapon load. When you said it doesn't level like other weapons.. well how do other weapons level? From using the granite stuff?

When I go to the Bonfire in the Burg there is option to Kindle, but I can't do it because it says something about Hollowing. There is a Hollowing option below so I am not sure what it's for, what does that do? Also, what are the Humanity items I get occasionally? It just adds a +1 to my OSD currently.

Cheers!

Minamu

If you want to tank him, yeah a heavy armor set and wolf's ring along with a great shield will definitely keep you up. If you have any sorceries or pyro though I suggest just rolling around (with some form of stamina regen) and casting at him as it's pretty hard to get hit when you kite him.
gonna try the target shield and hornet ring with my black knight greatsword. Unfortunately I cheesed him with the crystal rign shield on ng so never really learned how to beat him.

ixix

Huh. I just realized that starting as a Thief or a Wanderer would actually have worked better for my Int/Faith mix build than starting as a Cleric. I could hit my target stats 3 levels earlier than I managed as a Cleric.

This is probably something I should have checked before I made the character.

TheFatOne

Right then, I got Drakes Sword from the Dragons tail in the Burg. It seems very powerful like people said here, although he has made my character move a lot slower, so need to increase weapon load. When you said it doesn't level like other weapons.. well how do other weapons level? From using the granite stuff?

When I go to the Bonfire in the Burg there is option to Kindle, but I can't do it because it says something about Hollowing. There is a Hollowing option below so I am not sure what it's for, what does that do? Also, what are the Humanity items I get occasionally? It just adds a +1 to my OSD currently.

Cheers!

You can use humanity to turn yourself into a human. When you use humanity there will be a one on your hud instead of 00. If you are human and have one humanity you can kindle bonfires. If you kindle a bonfire it will give you 10 potions to start instead of 5. If you have the master key you can get havels ring which is really usefull in the beginning of the game. It raises your maximum equip burden by 50%. If you are interested just search for it on youtube. He is really easy to beat once you know how to beat him.

Edit: Are there any ways to farm Dragon Scales? It looks like the best way to get Dragon Scales is PvP becuase the drops on Drakes is terrible. If that is the case man that is some bullshit.

Edit: Are there any ways to farm Dragon Scales? It looks like the best way to get Dragon Scales is PvP becuase the drops on Drakes is terrible. If that is the case man that is some bullshit.

Yup, either PvP or put on the gold serpent ring with a couple of humanities and start whacking those drakes.

So, any soul exploits or humanity exploits discovered yet in 1.05? Or are the drop rates for humanity improved enough that it eliminates the temptation?

elty

Cheers!

Remove some of your armor (or replace them with lighter piece) until your equip burden is < 50%.

You can level up Drake Sword, but it uses the rare dragon scale and it does not scales with stat.

elty

I think you need the very large ember.

Edit: no you don't

Minamu

gonna try the target shield and hornet ring with my black knight greatsword. Unfortunately I cheesed him with the crystal rign shield on ng so never really learned how to beat him.
Managed to get in two parries but damn, he's too tough :( Upgrading the target shield to +14 was kinda pointless. And this shield is supposed to be the easiest one because of the parry window? o_O

Where can I use my Large Flame Ember? The New Londo, Undead Parish and Anor Londo blacksmiths either say they can't use it or just don't acknowledge it. Is there another blacksmith who can use it who I just haven't met yet? I'm in the Abyss right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom