• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Gwyn I just circled the pillars and tossed fire balls at his face. He went down incredibly fast.

Anyway best fight in the game was easily Ornstein and Smough, mostly due to Smough's Demon's Souls laugh.

Worst was the Bed of Chaos; getting knocked into pits felt far too random.

Though the Centipede demon really was terrible now that I think about it. Not really difficult, but completely forgettable.

With Gwyn I just circled the pillars and tossed fire balls at his face. He went down incredibly fast.

Anyway best fight in the game was easily Ornstein and Smough, mostly due to Smough's Demon's Souls laugh.

Worst was the Bed of Chaos, easily... Getting knocked into pits felt far too random.

Though the Centipede demon really was terrible now that I think about it. Not really difficult, but completely forgettable.
I never even fought the centipede demon. Doesn't seen line I missed much!

sixghost

I'm surprised Capra hasn't been anyone's worst boss so far. The difficulty curve for that boss is like falling off a cliff. Unless you had someone tell you how to beat it before hand, you just got your ass stomped 5-6 times, then you figure out the stairs/arch trick, then it's impossible to lose.

Even fighting them legitimately is boring in NG+, the dogs die in one hit and then capra's moves are so easy to dodge/block by that point, it's hardly even like a boss.

The Bell Gargoyles really gave the impression of Bosses that are tough but fair if you take the time to learn their attacks. Then the game just bumrushes you with Capra and encourages you to play find the exploit.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was as far as some people got before giving up and selling the game.

Honorable mention to Gaping Dragon. One of the coolest looking bosses I've ever seen that turns out to be and incredibly boring fight where you almost have to try to get hit.

Also, Nito really should have been a more unique fight. I can't imagine those Big Skeletons were intended to be completely removed from the equation if you just never go far enough to trigger them. It would have been cool if Nito summoned skeletons or Pinwheels throughout the fight, or did so whenever you drank and estus flask. Or maybe have him summon the souls of any NPC you've killed/let die.

Also, Nito really should have been a more unique fight. I can't imagine those Big Skeletons were intended to be completely removed from the equation if you just never go far enough to trigger them. It would have been cool if Nito summoned skeletons or Pinwheels throughout the fight, or did so whenever you drank and estus flask. Or maybe have him summon the souls of any NPC you've killed/let die.

Nito was a HUGE disappointment. A character model that awesome deserved a more intricate fight.

Thats amazing.

Is online on PS3 really populated? I kinda regret getting the 360 version, cause there's barely anything going on except for the occasional Havel dudes rolling around spamming Wrath of the Gods.
Got invaded twice in my ~120 hours of gameplay. Twice. And I ran around human for most of NG+ and NG++. Even using the crappy Dried Fingers, didn't do anything. :(

I also have the 360 version, didn't really have a choice. I'm really afraid that I will have to swap it for a PS3 one whenever my Live subscription runs out, even if I lose my beloved Merepale and achievements :(

Sullichin

I'm surprised Capra hasn't been anyone's worst boss so far. The difficulty curve for that boss is like falling off a cliff. Unless you had someone tell you how to beat it before hand, you just got your ass stomped 5-6 times, then you figure out the stairs/arch trick, then it's impossible to lose.

Even fighting them legitimately is boring in NG+, the dogs die in one hit and then capra's moves are so easy to dodge/block by that point, it's hardly even like a boss.

The Bell Gargoyles really gave the impression of Bosses that are tough but fair if you take the time to learn their attacks. Then the game just bumrushes you with Capra and encourages you to play find the exploit.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was as far as some people got before giving up and selling the game.

Honorable mention to Gaping Dragon. One of the coolest looking bosses I've ever seen that turns out to be and incredibly boring fight where you almost have to try to get hit.

Nito should be able to summon other players who are in his covenant, that would have been really cool.

Nito was a HUGE disappointment. A character model that awesome deserved a more intricate fight.

Yeah, I find Nito pretty boring. I've fought him many times while farming humanity. Whack a couple of skeletons with a divine weapon then throw a few fireballs at Nito and the fights over in 20 seconds. Maybe he's more interesting if you try and melee him though.

Septimius

I started a new sorcerer yesterday, it's kind of amazing how differently I have to approach the combat from my previous build (which didn't use any sorcery).

Sorcerer's catalyst spell damage scales with intelligence? Asking because I don't see Right Hand Weapon AR increase like it would with a scaling melee weapon.

Right Hand AR is how hard your weapon hits. You're looking for "MagAdjust" which can be seen as a stat on the catalyst itself, and it scales with INT. This makes us realize how Oolacile's catalyst can have static MagAdjust, but still have scaling in INT - because this is the R2 attack.

Yeah, I find Nito pretty boring. I've fought him many times while farming humanity. Whack a couple of skeletons with a divine weapon then throw a few fireballs at Nito and the fights over in 20 seconds. Maybe he's more interesting if you try and melee him though.
Nope. Hack hack hack roll. Hack hack hack roll.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I started my new dude in 1.05 and somehow he ended up with a bright yellow nose and bright green lips when he's hollowed. Considering those are going to be the only facial features visible under the helmet I'm planning on wearing I imagine the poor fella's probably a bit self-conscious about it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Oh boy, oh boy. For some reason I decided to go back to try Ceaseless Discharge again last night, and managed to defeat him.

Heard many saying Demon Ruins is supposed to be like the last level, but I just can't help pressing forward with it. Taking down those Capras in 2-3 hits is a nice two fingers up to the old boss.

Also, I've found it to be a very lucrative online spot (currently level 85ish) for both summoning and being summoned. Lots of traffic, fewer failures and plenty of invasions. I beat an invader 1 on 1 for the first time - quite soundly as well - and it felt great :D

Couple of them are using toxic mist and other nasty tricks on those narrow ledges and such, but I'm just glad I haven't been experiencing lagstabs or any of the "cheap" tactics that others have been mentioning.

Once you get to grips with the multiplayer, this game just opens to a whole new level. So utterly addicting and fun.

P.S. There's a big fog gate just ahead of me in the Ruins, but where should I really be heading? The last bosses I defeated were (excluding CD) Seath and Pinwheel. Is my only option continuing through Catacombs to Tomb of Giants? Is there anything through that door that Big Hat was trapped behind in the Duke's Archives? I went to try and save him, but found him just chilling in a little library, so thought screw it 'til later.

Shito

Also, I've found it to be a very lucrative online spot (currently level 85ish) for both summoning and being summoned.
Yeah, just started Demon Ruins myself tonight, and had some nice online experiences.
Don't know why but I was a bit afraid of Firesage, so I decided to lay down my mark in front of the fog door, and help out people to get the hang of the boss. Quickly found two people to help; we had two easy fights which netted me enough to kindle the previous bonfire, and come back as a human to try and get some help in return.
But of course, found no one, so out of impatience I decided to go alone and have a fair (but fun) fight with Firesage. Next up are Centipede and Bed of Chaos -- we'll see if they are as bad as people make them out to be!

one85x

P.S. There's a big fog gate just ahead of me in the Ruins, but where should I really be heading? The last bosses I defeated were (excluding CD) Seath and Pinwheel. Is my only option continuing through Catacombs to Tomb of Giants? Is there anything through that door that Big Hat was trapped behind in the Duke's Archives? I went to try and save him, but found him just chilling in a little library, so thought screw it 'til later.
Have you done Sif and the Four Kings? There's also the optional boss,
Gwyndolin
, back in Anor Londo.

tc farks

I go to the Painted World of Aramais. The front door says doesn't open from this side. Babbity ba some time later I get to the other side of the door and it says it's locked? Huh?

I've 2/2 at dying to the wheel skeletons so it would be nice if I could just get there a little quicker.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I go to the Painted World of Aramais. The front door says doesn't open from this side. Babbity ba some time later I get to the other side of the door and it says it's locked? Huh?

I've 2/2 at dying to the wheel skeletons so it would be nice if I could just get there a little quicker.

I think the door will be unlocked when you find a mechanism in the dark, underground, open area with the wheel-skeletons. Do you have any fire attacks? The wheelers aren't so bad if you can exploit their weakness.

Also what's the deal with the homing soulmass spell literally chilling in front of you for like a minute sometimes?

It waits to find a target. Unless that's not what you mean...

tc farks

Thanks guys. I'll keep trying that well with those annoying spinning skellies. Unfortunately, no fire.

The homing soulmass was weird to me cause I'd be locked on a target and it still would seem like it was waiting on something. Then finally go. Not all the time. Figured I'm doing something wrong and that might cost me at some point.

im mostly trying to avoid this thread because im not too far into the game yet, but ive fought most of these, so ill comment.

i havent fought nito yet, but otherwise i agree completely. my experience with capra demon was dying in ten seconds 6 times, then making it to the arch and winning without getting hit. gargoyles felt like a real boss. needed to learn patterns, dodge, be careful, use all your tools well. gaping dragon is boring as hell. i died on him a few times (when he connects he hits hard) but once you realize how badly he telegraphs his attacks and how long it takes him to recover from certain attacks he is a cakewalk. especially disappointing because after seeing that first gif of him attacking i went on blackout because i didnt want anything else spoiled for me it was so awesome looking. anyone know the gif i mean?

only other bosses i have fought are the tutorial boss and the taurus demon. both were easy. is this game easier than demons souls or did i choose a better build this time? im a pyromancer that started using the halberd as soon as i had the stats for it, and played demons with sword and shield and heavy armor the whole way.

sixghost

If you are just looking to make the fights interesting, go trigger one of the big skeletons and don't use divine weapons.

I forgot to craft a divine weapon on my second playthrough, and accidentally triggered a big skelly, and it was fucking frantic from that point on. I was using a few of Nito's attacks to damage to skeletons, then sneak in for a few hits on Nito while I had the chance.

It made the fight needlessly hard, but it was pretty awesome. It really forces you to be able to take advantage of every single type of attack Nito has. Especially that goopy AoE since that knocks down the skeletons for a while.

Also, just about every fight in the game is better using Melee, pyromancy and sorcery crush this game.
im mostly trying to avoid this thread because im not too far into the game yet, but ive fought most of these, so ill comment.

i havent fought nito yet, but otherwise i agree completely. my experience with capra demon was dying in ten seconds 6 times, then making it to the arch and winning without getting hit. gargoyles felt like a real boss. needed to learn patterns, dodge, be careful, use all your tools well. gaping dragon is boring as hell. i died on him a few times (when he connects he hits hard) but once you realize how badly he telegraphs his attacks and how long it takes him to recover from certain attacks he is a cakewalk. especially disappointing because after seeing that first gif of him attacking i went on blackout because i didnt want anything else spoiled for me it was so awesome looking. anyone know the gif i mean?

only other bosses i have fought are the tutorial boss and the taurus demon. both were easy. is this game easier than demons souls or did i choose a better build this time? im a pyromancer that started using the halberd as soon as i had the stats for it, and played demons with sword and shield and heavy armor the whole way.
It will definitely get harder, if that's your question. If you are entering Blighttown about now, you'll meet the first really hard solo boss soon(after the Gargoyles that is), then aside from some optional bosses, they are all pretty awesome for a while. Then slump a bit in the last areas.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, just started Demon Ruins myself tonight, and had some nice online experiences.
Don't know why but I was a bit afraid of Firesage, so I decided to lay down my mark in front of the fog door, and help out people to get the hang of the boss. Quickly found two people to help; we had two easy fights which netted me enough to kindle the previous bonfire, and come back as a human to try and get some help in return.
But of course, found no one, so out of impatience I decided to go alone and have a fair (but fun) fight with Firesage. Next up are Centipede and Bed of Chaos -- we'll see if they are as bad as people make them out to be!
Ah, so that's where those bosses are. Perhaps I will follow your example and press on with Ruins first then :)
Have you done Sif and the Four Kings? There's also the optional boss,
Gwyndolin
, back in Anor Londo.
I've done Sif, but no idea where to find Four Kings.
About the spoilered optional boss:
are they related to that massive Gwynevere lady and the fabled Gwyn? No idea where to find them, either ^^;

I really want to press on blissfully ignorant, but all this "optional" and "hidden" talk is driving my adventurous side! Perhaps best saved for the next playthrough?

sixghost

Ah, so that's where those bosses are. Perhaps I will follow your example and press on with Ruins first then :)

I've done Sif, but no idea where to find Four Kings.
About the spoilered optional boss:
are they related to that massive Gwynevere lady and the fabled Gwyn? No idea where to find them, either ^^;

I really want to press on blissfully ignorant, but all this "optional" and "hidden" talk is driving my adventurous side! Perhaps best saved for the next playthrough?

Absolutely not. They are only optional in name. You'll be kicking yourself like I was if you beat the game without finding them.

Wool

That guy's entire youtube channel made me rethink how Dark Souls invading is meant to be played. I used to find them, make sure they saw me and weren't fighting mobs, bow to each other, then start fighting. After watching a few of his videos it seems like From put in a whole bunch of stuff to make it so you can be a sneaky asshole and take advantage of level design to kill them.

Chemo

Major issues: I'm on New Game Plus, and have done a lot of stuff already, and at this point Lautrec has already killed Anastacia, my Fire Keeper at Firelink Shrine. In my first game, there was a Black Eye Orb here that I could use to finish this quest and restore her to life... this time, the only message I get is "Dead." when I check where Anastacia resides. Has anyone run into this problem before, or does anyone know what to do? It's going to make this NG+ a complete pain if I can't ever fucking use the Firelink Shrine bonfire again.

RyanDG

That guy's entire youtube channel made me rethink how Dark Souls invading is meant to be played. I used to find them, make sure they saw me and weren't fighting mobs, bow to each other, then start fighting. After watching a few of his videos it seems like From put in a whole bunch of stuff to make it so you can be a sneaky asshole and take advantage of level design to kill them.

Invasion in the Kiln is for bowing and honor. Invasion everywhere else, it's all about making the hosts life as difficult as possible IMO. ;)

Invasion in the Kiln is for bowing and honor. Invasion everywhere else, it's all about making the hosts life as difficult as possible IMO. ;)

And this is exactly why I feel nothing when invaders got TWoP'd, mobbed by three people, Soulmass spammed, camped at a spawn point and backstabbed, and so on.

Griefers are gonna use every trick in the book to screw you over and ruin your gameplay experience, so ruin theirs right back.

What's the best place to farm souls? I joined the forest covenant so I can't use the forest trick anymore. I need to get enough souls to buy all the wares from Shiva. Or at least what you guys think is worth buying. My SL is 48 and I just reached Sen's Fortress.

Sullichin

What's the best place to farm souls? I joined the forest covenant so I can't use the forest trick anymore. I need to get enough souls to buy all the wares from Shiva. Or at least what you guys think is worth buying. My SL is 48 and I just reached Sen's Fortress.

Help people beat the gaping dragon.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely not. They are only optional in name. You'll be kicking yourself like I was if you beat the game without finding them.
Hehe, ok. So how do I go about finding
Gwyndolin
and
Four Kings
?

If anyone can fashion a cheeky hint or two that doesn't reveal too much, I would be most grateful, as the Wiki gives things away too easily.

tc farks

Well I did the Painted World for basically no reason. I grabbed some loot, but nothing I will really use. I got to Priscilla and accidentally triggered the leaving cutscene like an idiot, but it doesn't matter anyway cause I can't really afford to get my DEX up to 20 to use the dagger. If I even got it.

Anor Lando has an optional boss as well, right? Hope this one works out better.

sixghost

Hehe, ok. So how do I go about finding
Gwyndolin
and
Four Kings
?

If anyone can fashion a cheeky hint or two that doesn't reveal too much, I would be most grateful, as the Wiki gives things away too easily.

I'm not sure how to help you along without giving it away. It requires you to find a ring in one of the other late game areas, then find an out of the way alter in Anor Londo while wearing it.

jk-mox

Neo Member
I have a tragic/infuriating tale and am hoping someone can answer a question for me.

Finished my first playthrough the other day as a Knight, and enjoyed it quite a bit, but I wanted to try something different. As such, I restarted as a pyromancer so I could get a taste for some of the magic in the game. I'm a few bosses in and all of my stats have been set up with pyromancy in mind.

So just moments ago, I killed the Capra Demon, then ran to the depths so I can free the guy who can teach me pyromancy. I'd estimate I've put about 3-4 hours into this particular game.

As I'm saving him, I get invaded and pinned in the corner next to him. Literally, I can't move because I have the invader in front of me, and the pyromancer guy next to me, and I can't seem to roll through. So of course, my instincts kick in, and I start swinging my axe.

Now I have an angry pyromancy master who wants to kill me.

I'm seeing mixed reviews as to whether absolution (from the guy in the belltower) will fix this issue. The various wikis seem to indicate that absolution is for covenants, and doesn't say anything about non-covenant NPCs.

Can anyone say with 100% certainty whether absolution will get the pyromancer guy to chill the fuck out, think about the situation that I was in, and give me a second chance? Or am I just screwed?

In case anyone cares, I can 100% confirm that absolution DID solve the problem, thank god. After absolving myself, I ran back to the depths to see if the dude was back in his barrel. When he wasn't, I panicked a bit, but then ran back to firelink to see if he was there. When I got there, he greeted me the same as if I'd saved him.

Apparently my axe-wielding skills somehow showed him that I'd have a knack for pyromancy. Go figure.

gamelova

I have a question. I am trying to get the trophy for obtaining all miracles. One of the miracles requires that I join the blades of the darkmoon after I turn in 10 souveneir of reprisals. However I get an upgraded version for turning in 30 souvenier of reprisals. For the trophy do I need to turn in 30 for the upgraded one or just get the regular miracle.

I have a question. I am trying to get the trophy for obtaining all miracles. One of the miracles requires that I join the blades of the darkmoon after I turn in 10 souveneir of reprisals. However I get an upgraded version for turning in 30 souvenier of reprisals. For the trophy do I need to turn in 30 for the upgraded one or just get the regular miracle.

I believe you only need the miracle.

ixix

You just need the Miracle. It gets stronger with each successive rank in the Covenant, but it's still the same spell. You only need the 10 Souvenirs for the trophy/achievement.

elty

So I open the shortcut, killed all 9 chap bugs and sunbro showed up. Does that mean his quest line is safe and I can explore izaith freely?

ixix

I just got summoned to help somebody with the Capra Demon who was two-handing a shield with the Grass Crest Shield strapped to her back.

Clearly someone deeply concerned about survivability.

sixghost

I just got summoned to help somebody with the Capra Demon who was two-handing a shield with the Grass Crest Shield strapped to her back.

THAT DUDES GOT 2 SWORDS

The only counter is two shields, mount and blade style

come to think of it, that's a fucking brilliant thing to do if you are summoning help and just do not want to die no matter what, which is kind of the case for Capra. Lautrec's Ring + Cloranthy ring, two hand a shield and leave the grass shield on your back for the extra regen.

ixix

THAT DUDES GOT 2 SWORDS

The only counter is two shields, mount and blade style

come to think of it, that's a fucking brilliant thing to do if you are summoning help and just do not want to die no matter what, which is kind of the case for Capra. Lautrec's Ring + Cloranthy ring, two hand a shield and leave the grass shield on your back for the extra regen.

Can hardly fault 'em, it worked pretty well. Capra aggroed the host, who backed into a corner cowering behind the shield. Me and the other phantom took out the dogs and laid into Capra while he tried futilely to crack that turtle's shell.

Amusingly the other phantom was two-handing a Claymore, and there I was with a dagger in lieu of a shield. We were on pretty wildly separate ends of the offense-defense spectrum from the host.

I do wonder, though, if that's standard practice for the host or if repeated Capra-related traumas led to that approach.

Can hardly fault 'em, it worked pretty well. Capra aggroed the host, who backed into a corner cowering behind the shield. Me and the other phantom took out the dogs and laid into Capra while he tried futilely to crack that turtle's shell.

Amusingly the other phantom was two-handing a Claymore, and there I was with a dagger in lieu of a shield. We were on pretty wildly separate ends of the offense-defense spectrum from the host.

I do wonder, though, if that's standard practice for the host or if repeated Capra-related traumas led to that approach.

I'm picturing this in my head and cackling like a maniac.

I'm picturing this in my head and cackling like a maniac.

As am I. XD

See, how I deal with Capra Demon is as follows:

1. Kill his stupid dog buddies.
2. March up to him like a boss with my two-handed katana, no shields.
3. Chop his face off, back roll to avoid his hugely telegraphed attacks, repeat.

Ill Saint

I got invaded by a dude two-handing a shield. He poked me with it for about 15 damage. I was very confused, even moreso when he began moving towards me, facing backwards. Needless to say I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth and promptly backstabbed him. One of the weirder encounters I've had in this game.

I got invaded by a dude two-handing a shield. He poked me with it for about 15 damage. I was very confused, even moreso when he began moving towards me, facing backwards. Needless to say I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth and promptly backstabbed him. One of the weirder encounters I've had in this game.

lol, thats too funny. Makes me want to start doing comedy invasions. I didn't even know you could two hand a shield. What difference does it make over one handing? Surely it only affects it's attack power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom