• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I got a disk read error right off the bat during the intro. I skipped it the second time just to be safe. Is there an issue with having the game installed? Known issue?

Also, is there a downside to being a deprived to start aside from no gear? I picked it because of the balanced stats. Thanks!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I've died three times to smough and ornstein but I did pretty well in the last one. I was using the lightning iaito, eagle shield, and havel's set, but now I think it is better to use the lightning spear instead so I can block while attacking. I just don't know if I should stick with havel's set or go back to my usual light armor for speed. Any advice?

I beat them with a little help from pre-nerf crystal ring shield, so I don't really deserve to give advice, but personally I thought mobility was very important. Being able to control your distance from them is important, and the faster you can move, the better you can do that.

Do you have the dark wood grain ring? Maybe you can wear medium/heavy armor and enjoy mobility, too.

Have my Enchanted Longsword +4 and need a Blue Slab for +5 and the A INT rating, any ideas GAF?

Also, I'm using the Spider Shield atm but want something new and not the Crystal Ring shield, what should I go for?

Erekiddo

Progress wise -

I've killed Seath & Nito. It seems I have 2 more to go. (Bed Of Chaos & Four Kings). Then I'm pretty sure there's a "final" boss.

How far am I from the end?

Dresden

Have my Enchanted Longsword +4 and need a Blue Slab for +5 and the A INT rating, any ideas GAF?

Also, I'm using the Spider Shield atm but want something new and not the Crystal Ring shield, what should I go for?

You get a blue slab in
the crystal cave, which is a part of the duke's archives.

I've died three times to smough and ornstein but I did pretty well in the last one. I was using the lightning iaito, eagle shield, and havel's set, but now I think it is better to use the lightning spear instead so I can block while attacking. I just don't know if I should stick with havel's set or go back to my usual light armor for speed. Any advice?

Swap out the lightning spear for the second phase. Ornstein's resistant to Lightning, and if Smough survives to the second round, he resists it too.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
There is an absurdly dedicated griefer in the Lower Undead Burg. I've been helping people with Capra on and off for the past few days and he's always there. He takes advantage of the fact that invaders there spawn on the bridge right before the fog door along with the fact that people stand around there grabbing allies for the boss. With the way an invader spawn lags for the host he actually kills them before he spawns. The host suddenly falls dead, then he spawns and does a Praise the Sun.

It's kind of impressively ingenious.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Haven't run into any more disk problems. 2 hours down and I'm level 12. Past the second boss, have the repair kit full armor and a few weapons/shields. A far run from what WAS a completely naked character to start. Not seeing any downside yet for using the class that started with nothing but a club and a wood shield.

Ill Saint

Trying to get my PvP skills in order, but it's kinda frustrating to repeatedly get nailed by spells that I have dodged and appear to pass me by a long way. :(

tokkun

Trying to get my PvP skills in order, but it's kinda frustrating to repeatedly get nailed by spells that I have dodged and appear to pass me by a long way. :(

Trying to dodge spells at range is a bad decision. You want to get in close against casters in PvP.

Septimius

Spells usually never are any trouble. Sometimes I taunt range players by just walking back and forth, randomly dodging. Once I just looked at this guy with a dragon bow, trying to shoot me for 5 minutes, as I rolled every time he shot. Same can go with any sort of ranged magic user. But then suddenly you meet someone with a crazy lag. You see them fire up some sort of soul mass, and you think "pfffft". You roll, but you've already been hit. Fun.

Ill Saint

Trying to dodge spells at range is a bad decision. You want to get in close against casters in PvP.

Yeah, good suggestion. This one guy had me on the backfoot, though, firing off crystal spears while he had crystal homing soulmass primed.

And man, even at the Kiln a lot of people are just flat out lamers. Estus chugging, WoG spamming, backstab fishing... grumble, grumble. Just gotta get better I suppose!

shiroryu

Yeah, good suggestion. This one guy had me on the backfoot, though, firing off crystal spears while he had crystal homing soulmass primed.

And man, even at the Kiln a lot of people are just flat out lamers. Estus chugging, WoG spamming, backstab fishing... grumble, grumble. Just gotta get better I suppose!

Why is Estus chugging lame? Unless you're saying you're doing fair PvP duels in the Kiln?

Ill Saint

Why is Estus chugging lame? Unless you're saying you're doing fair PvP duels in the Kiln?

Yep, in a Kiln PvP duel context. When summoned through the red soapstone, I've had quite a few hosts run away and heal up. One time another red summon who was waiting on the sidelines had to start chucking Loyd's Talismans at the host because he was healing like a madman. Kinda defeats the purpose, really.

shiroryu

One time another red summon who was waiting on the sidelines had to start chucking Loyd's Talismans at the host because he was healing like a madman.

That image made me laugh.

So what do you do if you're dueling a host and somebody invades? Or does the game prevent that from happening?

If someone starts chugging estus I just use humanity to heal. For every flask they use I allow myself to use one humanity.

edit: For duels anyway, regular invasions I just try and lloyds talisman them.

I think it's fine to take out the invader's ability to heal since they have the environment advantage with the enemies and all.

However when it comes to 1v1 dueling in the Kiln idk, I was never a big fan of imaginary "honor code" rules unless you already have an agreement with the guy you're dueling.

I don't find anything in PvP annoying atm to be honest, aside from the whole bullshit teleport 4 meters from my front to my back and stab me, but that's a developer issue more than anything.

It's not about an imaginary honor code, if they heal during a 1v1 duel in the kiln then I'll heal as well, it's only fair. Don't see anything wrong with people using estus if they're trying to progress through a level when they get invaded. In that case I'll just try and stop them via talisman.

Ugh, I finally had my first massive soul loss moment. I was poking around in the area right after you defeat Pinwheel, looking for a bonfire, and I fell down a hole and died with 31k souls.

When I tried to make my way back, I missed a roll on the way down to the blacksmith and died.

All I want to know is why the lantern one of the enemies in the catacombs dropped isn't anywhere in my inventory.

Raide

Oh gawd. I so want to play this game. My PAL copy has been sitting at home since the EU launch. I probably won't get to play it until Spring 2012 at this rate. :D

Have the patches sorted out most of the more annoying issues with the game?

Eccocid

WHOA!!!
I didn't know it was possible but i got my first 1vs1vs1 battle last night LOL.

I was using gravelord at the bonfire in depths as usual. Meanhwile I got a a normal invasion(Red invader). who found me at the bonfire we were battling then i got a msg on screen that a Vengeance invader is coming. He had this blue aura on him. Red invader stopped attacking to me and started to chase Blue one. They started to fight. I was like OMG! i tried to kill both of them with greater combustion but lag was insane. and i got killed in-between them lol.

WHOA!!!

I was using gravelord at the bonfire in depths as usual. Meanhwile I got a a normal invasion(Red invader). who found me at the bonfire we were battling then i got a msg on screen that a Vengeance invader is coming. He had this blue aura on him. Red invader stopped attacking to me and started to chase Blue one. They started to fight. I was like OMG! i tried to kill both of them with greater combustion but lag was insane. and i got killed in-between them lol.

this happens in the forest too, with me being the extra Darkwraith invader :p i love to invade the people camping there for forest invaders. sometimes i can't decide whether i want to kill the other blue invader(s) first or help them kill the host. i love how the blues always assume i'm on their side wanting to kill the host, so i betray their trust while the host watches confused :D

2 vs 2 in the forest is very awesome too, makes it hard for me to stay away from the covenant heh.

WHOA!!!

Yeah, those are intense aren't they???

MMaRsu

Soooo do I have to beat the 4 kings before I can get a red summon stone? The blue one doesnt work so great..

Can I summon ppl for the 4kings fight? Should I beat Seath first? I think I still need to do a bunch of shit, like the painted world also.. I finished Anor but not that.. I got the doll tho afaik.

Soooo do I have to beat the 4 kings before I can get a red summon stone? The blue one doesnt work so great..

Can I summon ppl for the 4kings fight? Should I beat Seath first? I think I still need to do a bunch of shit, like the painted world also.. I finished Anor but not that.. I got the doll tho afaik.

I would personally do the Painted World, then Four Kings then Seath, but that's just me :p

It's not about an imaginary honor code, if they heal during a 1v1 duel in the kiln then I'll heal as well, it's only fair. Don't see anything wrong with people using estus if they're trying to progress through a level when they get invaded. In that case I'll just try and stop them via talisman.

Oh totally

My moto is to do whatever it is necessary to win in any way you find enjoyable except for glitching the game, something like a shit ton of health or calling out 19 air strikes in 1 minute in a COD game.

I really enjoy both side of the invasion, although I think they shouldn't allow phantoms to heal at all whether it's humanity, miracle or otherwise but that's a discussion for another time.

I usually win far more as the defender as opposed to the invader, since my build is a tank and I always have about 20 estus on me, I can out last people. However my character is rather on the weak side when it comes to invading other people, it seems that the best way to make an invader character is to focus on super high front loaded burst damage or in other words, kill them as fast as possible since they'll probably out heal you eventually and that's what I'm going to do when I make a new Char.

MrWisker

Platinum get! Damn, that felt good :D 108:10:31 hours and lvl 158 :) not sure what to do now :(

Thats awesome.....

What to do now.....just the play the game for fun without any worry about trophies. I am about 120hrs in and have yet to look at what the trophies are for this game. Too much fun playing co-op and PVP.

MrWisker

Why does he have such little health?

He is in hyper-mode. Taking advantage of attack bonuses when health is low. There is a ring you can wear to take advantage of this.

Edits: Hyper-mode was used a lot more in Demon Souls that what I have seen in Dark Souls. Really no equivalant to Morion Blade / Cleaver Rat Ring from Demon Souls in Dark Souls.

sixghost

He is in hyper-mode. Taking advantage of attack bonuses when health is low. There is a ring you can wear to take advantage of this.

Edits: Hyper-mode was used a lot more in Demon Souls that what I have seen in Dark Souls. Really no equivalant to Morion Blade / Cleaver Rat Ring from Demon Souls in Dark Souls.

Any idea what he does to get his health down in a controlable way? Just fall off something or maybe use a dung pie to toxic yourself?

Minamu

Thats awesome.....

What to do now.....just the play the game for fun without any worry about trophies. I am about 120hrs in and have yet to look at what the trophies are for this game. Too much fun playing co-op and PVP.
Been thinking about a pvp only character basically. I'm also gonna use the game as a source of research about usability for a course I'm taking :) So I'm gonna watch newbies play the tutorials a couple of times soon :D

elty

Any idea what he does to get his health down in a controlable way? Just fall off something or maybe use a dung pie to toxic yourself?

Probably use something that can lose HP, like Symbol of Avarice or Chaos Blade.

Or just walk into a poison pit.

methane47

TOMB OF THE GIANTS>>> OMG

Hate this place.... I've been a cautious player this entire game... and now i have to sacrifice my shield.... and one wrong step i'm dead anyways...

RIDICULOUS

Where is the Painted World?

In Anor Londo. Once you descend the elevator, it's the building on your left. You have to walk up a buttress to get inside the building. On the base level of that building there is a large painting that if you have the correct item you can enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom