• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Ugh, playing a Faith/Int based character that has the stats for the Greatsword of Artorias.

I have very little in the way of Vitality and Endurance, that combined with the fact that Im not used to a greatsword... I'm dying, a lot. Not sure if this character is straight up bad, or if Im just not used to it (I've been rushing content to get the weapon).

Sullichin

Ugh, playing a Faith/Int based character that has the stats for the Greatsword of Artorias.

I have very little in the way of Vitality and Endurance, that combined with the fact that Im not used to a greatsword... I'm dying, a lot. Not sure if this character is straight up bad, or if Im just not used to it (I've been rushing content to get the weapon).

I wasted a ton of stats to meet the minimums for Greatsword of Artorias. The sword, just meeting minimum requirements, sucks. I was very disappointed. You really have to pump up the scaling stats for it to be worth it. Having little endurance might be the main reason you're dying a lot though. Don't the swings take a good deal of stamina?

I wasted a ton of stats to meet the minimums for Greatsword of Artorias. The sword, just meeting minimum requirements, sucks. I was very disappointed. You really have to pump up the scaling stats for it to be worth it. Having little endurance might be the main reason you're dying a lot though. Don't the swings take a good deal of stamina?

The Greatsword is only good at lv.100+, and starts getting really beastly at ~130. Before that, it sucks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Oh, that might explain it. Also, thanks for clarifying the boss.

Also, are bosses supposed to be dropping loot? I haven't gotten anything off of any monsters except for yard trash.

Since the latest patch all bosses drop humanity and possibly homeward bones(?). I can only think of one case where the boss has a random weapon/armor drop and that's the bell gargoyles. There might be others, but for the most part whatever bosses drop is a sure thing.

Some regular enemies drop good stuff, too. The guide has all the drop info, so it must also be on the web for free somewhere.

After all the crap I've played so far, I can't seem to take out the Titanite Demon. I don't have any arrows or anything so that is ruled out. I'm using Drake Sword on it but it keeps grabbing me and smashing me to a pulp. I just got the crest to open the door in the forest but I usually just run past the Titanite Demon on the way there. I wanna kill the bastard. How did you guys kill it?

Even at the end of my first playthrough when I was feeling overpowered against pretty much every enemy, the Titanite Demons never felt easy. For the one you're talking about, you can use the stairs to your advantage. You can position yourself so that he swings over your head.

Tomat

Yeah they do. I'll be upping my Faith more for better miracles (Maybe to 36 for the AoE Heal), and I may end up pumping more into endurance than health. I'll have to rely on blocking with a shield, armor, and my endurance since I won't be able to take more than 3 hits most likely.

The Greatsword is only good at lv.100+, and starts getting really beastly at ~130. Before that, it sucks.
I'm honestly not sure what level I want to go to. I would like to be able to PvE on this character and help people with bosses.

Sullichin

I was actually probably around 130 when I first met the minimum requirements for faith and intelligence (didn't use any sorcery or miracles my whole playthrough), and it totally sucked. I plan on getting it again on my INT based character.

shiroryu

More Dark Souls comics.

vQwrH.jpg

I was actually probably around 130 when I first met the minimum requirements for faith and intelligence (didn't use any sorcery or miracles my whole playthrough), and it totally sucked. I plan on getting it again on my INT based character.

Ah. My main is a jack-of-all-trades, so I've been using it for a while now (117). I <3 the True Greatsword.

Sullichin

Ah. My main is a jack-of-all-trades, so I've been using it for a while now (117). I <3 the True Greatsword.

My first character's build is a mess of misunderstanding the leveling/stats system and not knowing what I wanted to focus on. Early on I even put points in resistance.

scosher

More Dark Souls comics.

Haha that reminds me of the first time I fought Taurus Demon.

• Read message tip: Try a plunging attack
  • "Easy enough," climb up ladder
  • Quaff an estus flask, two-hand my scimitar, position myself perfectly by the ledge...take a breath...
  • ...Taurus Demon joins me on the roof and in my utter shock and confusion, I run away and jump off the tower to my death

My first character's build is a mess of misunderstanding the leveling/stats system and not knowing what I wanted to focus on. Early on I even put points in resistance.

My next is going to be a female dex/faith build. Katanas, lightning, and bows, here I come.

Four Kings is gonna suck ass

Tomat

Haha that reminds me of the first time I fought Taurus Demon.

• Read message tip: Try a plunging attack
  • "Easy enough," climb up ladder
  • Quaff an estus flask, two-hand my scimitar, position myself perfectly by the ledge...take a breath...
  • ...Taurus Demon joins me on the roof and in my utter shock and confusion, I run away and jump off the tower to my death
Did the same damn thing.

Ceaseless Discharge is one tough motherfucker. Nobody has summon signs there so I've been trying him by myself and oh boy.

I've got him down to about 25% health on my best try. I think I can do it, I just need to get lucky not to get hit by his big fire wave attack.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I've always loved the way the Asylum and Taurus demons seem to be there just to screw with people who played Demon's Souls and are used to having sections of the arena that the boss can't reach.

Ceaseless Discharge is one tough motherfucker. Nobody has summon signs there so I've been trying him by myself and oh boy.

I've got him down to about 25% health on my best try. I think I can do it, I just need to get lucky not to get hit by his big fire wave attack.

Two ways of dealing with him-

The long, boring way:
did you see that hallway on the right, about halfway between the fog door and the Gold set? As soon as you aggro him, run down that hallway as far as you can go while keeping his attention on you. When he goes to smack you, back the fuck up, smack tentacle, repeat until dead.

The "I'm a clever mo-fo" way:

lure it over to the fog door. On your way over, make sure you stay close enough that it doesn't go to the lava wave attack. You'll know what to do from here.

I DEFEATED Ceaseless 3 times total now, and it always happens the same way.

Aggro Ceaseless by grabbing the loot.

Run like a little bitch to the stone ruins near the fog door.

Ceaseless does this thing where he wraps his arms around the stone ruins and exposes some sort of yellow sac. I hit the sac 4 or 5 times with any weapon, and he loses all of his health instantly and I DEFEATED.

Easiest boss ever.

Co-op'd with some guy to take on Smough+Ornstein last night and defeated them (Ornstein last). Feel so dirty, think I shall try and solo it NG+ to make up for it.

My Divine Halberd is still +5, and I want to grab the large divine ember to upgrade it. Am I in for trouble heading into Tomb of the Giants to pick it up at this stage (30 faith, 27-29 VIT/END, Black Iron Armour set)?

scosher

Co-op'd with some guy to take on Smough+Ornstein last night and defeated them (Ornstein last). Feel so dirty, think I shall try and solo it NG+ to make up for it.

My Divine Halberd is still +5, and I want to grab the large divine ember to upgrade it. Am I in for trouble heading into Tomb of the Giants to pick it up at this stage (30 faith, 27-29 VIT/END, Black Iron Armour set)?

Your stats are fine. But you're still in for trouble cause that room was specifically designed by FROM to troll players.

Sullichin

One of the hardest fucking areas in the game.

One of the hardest fucking areas in the game.

I got the large divine last night, but I knew going into it what the deal was. Even as an experienced player, it still takes some effort. I cheesed two of the first guys with crossbow, then dropped down and brought some faith with me.

Now I gotta get enough white titanite to make a happy blade.

ixix

Challenge accepted.

It's really not that bad if you know what you're doing. You're completely safe from any attacks so long as you stay on the upper ledge. Bring a ranged weapon and you can clear the entire place out with no risk whatsoever if you're patient. Or just knock out all but a couple enemies then drop down if you're not willing to wait for all of them to let you line up clear shots.

Two ways of dealing with him-

The long, boring way:
did you see that hallway on the right, about halfway between the fog door and the Gold set? As soon as you aggro him, run down that hallway as far as you can go while keeping his attention on you. When he goes to smack you, back the fuck up, smack tentacle, repeat until dead.

The "I'm a clever mo-fo" way:

lure it over to the fog door. On your way over, make sure you stay close enough that it doesn't go to the lava wave attack. You'll know what to do from here.

I DEFEATED Ceaseless 3 times total now, and it always happens the same way.

Aggro Ceaseless by grabbing the loot.

Run like a little bitch to the stone ruins near the fog door.

Ceaseless does this thing where he wraps his arms around the stone ruins and exposes some sort of yellow sac. I hit the sac 4 or 5 times with any weapon, and he loses all of his health instantly and I DEFEATED.

Easiest boss ever.

I was doing it the "boring" way, I just misjudged it a few times and got killed. I'll be able to do it that way, I'm sure.

The gate tactic I saw mentioned in the IGN guide and I don't want to do it that way. Seems too cheap.

Looking through the games Trophies, there are ones for various weapon upgrades:

Strongest, Crystal, Lightning and so on. Can any weapon in the game have any of these attributes added to them? So a basic sword or axe can be taken right up to +15 in any of those ways?

So good. I'm surprised someone hasn't done an Ornstein the Hedgehog yet. -_-

God dammit why you gotta mess up a good thing :mad:

Also: my back twinges in sympathy pain every time I see the Giant Blacksmith. Stop being such a cheapskate, Gwyndolin, and buy the man a workbench his size!

sixghost

Jesus, FINALLY my live account is unlocked. It took Microsoft over 4 damn months to refund me the money the hacker spent and unlock the account.

Looks like I'll finally be able to try Dark Souls online. Can't wait.

I just got invaded!

The dude was glowing red and had a witches hat on and shit. He FUCKED ME UP. I died and returned and got my money, not human now obv. What does he get out of killing me?

zsswimmer

I just got invaded!

The dude was glowing red and had a witches hat on and shit. He FUCKED ME UP. I died and returned and got my money, not human now obv. What does he get out of killing me?

Whatever souls you were carrying and 1 humanity I think

For experience PVPers, how do you beat the guys with the one shot backstab weapons. Some guy would just bide his time over and over to get a lagstab on me and its instadeath

Leezard

Looking through the games Trophies, there are ones for various weapon upgrades:

Strongest, Crystal, Lightning and so on. Can any weapon in the game have any of these attributes added to them? So a basic sword or axe can be taken right up to +15 in any of those ways?
yes.

ixix

Thanks. And, is there recommended weapons to do that with, or is it purely down to your preferred combat style?

Apologies for the n00b questions :)

Depends very heavily on your stats and your weapon preferences. Some weapons also handle various upgrade paths better than others, like the Murakumo gets an A scaling with Int when Enchanted, whereas a Zweihander or Greatsword only gets B scaling.

The Iaito and the Claymore are both popular because they have fairly low stat requirements and good movesets. Either one upgraded to Lightning or Fire is capable of seeing you to the end of the game with a minimal stat investment.

Insaniac

Would I be wrong in saying that a new game in the style of Dark Souls with a larger focus on multiplayer/co-op would be friggin amazing? Dark Souls has become 500% more fun now that I can reliably play with my friend.

Would I be wrong in saying that a new game in the style of Dark Souls with a larger focus on multiplayer/co-op would be friggin amazing? Dark Souls has become 500% more fun now that I can reliably play with my friend.

If this means a properly balanced PvP and non-shit netcode, I'm all for it.

Depends very heavily on your stats and your weapon preferences. Some weapons also handle various upgrade paths better than others, like the Murakumo gets an A scaling with Int when Enchanted, whereas a Zweihander or Greatsword only gets B scaling.

The Iaito and the Claymore are both popular because they have fairly low stat requirements and good movesets. Either one upgraded to Lightning or Fire is capable of seeing you to the end of the game with a minimal stat investment.

Are these weapons that all come early in the game? I am just using a battle axe at the moment (at the Church, about to fight the boss to ring the first bell in the game).

ixix

Are these weapons that all come early in the game? I am just using a battle axe at the moment (at the Church, about to fight the boss to ring the first bell in the game).

Yeah, they're pretty easy to get. The Claymore is
on one of the corpses on the bridge that the red dragon guards in the Undead Burg.
The Iaito is
on a corpse right near the beginning of Blighttown, assuming you use the Depths entrance. You need to jump over a gap to get it.

Another fine option for a first time player is the Lightning Spear, which is
in a chest in Sen's Fortress.
It comes already upgraded two-thirds of the way to the maximum and you find it right around the time the Drake Sword starts showing its age.

OK cool. Remembering that bridge, don't think there is any way I could get over it at the moment, I just get fucked with fire! Do you have to actually kill the dragon?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom