• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWisker

TOMB OF THE GIANTS>>> OMG

Hate this place.... I've been a cautious player this entire game... and now i have to sacrifice my shield.... and one wrong step i'm dead anyways...

RIDICULOUS

I have been through ToG many times and I still hate it. Like already mentioned though if you still want to use a shield find the Sunlight Maggot or trade for it from Snuggly.

MrWisker

Had a ton of fun in Demon Ruins last night helping people with the boss. Unable to help one peep though as he would go into the boss battle two handing a Uchigatana. Two blasts of fire burst and host dies. I must of tried helping him 4 or 5 times in a span of 10 minutes with the same result. It was fun though......

shiroryu

tuTIy.jpg

Exactly what I did last week, lol.

So I finally updated with the patch. I killed Pharis by getting her to jump off the cliff a few weeks ago, so I go through the forest again and her items are at her spawn point. Got her bow which I wanted and I didn't have to wait for NG+ to get one.

I summoned TWO people for the boss at the end of Crystal Cave and it was still one hell of a fight.

This was the right time for me to realise (probably stupidly) that you could summon more than one person. Phew!

1. Helping at Sen boss, level 42 if anyone's around.

2. You can (sometimes) kick Lautrec to his death right after he stands up. Beats a 5-minute fight any day of the week.

3. Now I know why I was having so much trouble kicking: there are weapons you can't kick with.

4. Had like three other random things to say, but that was like an hour ago and I've forgotten.

krakov

Which are those? I'm having trouble kicking consistently. Do catalyst/sword/Partizan prevent you from kicking?

Pretty sure you can't kick with catalysts, also rapiers.

Trying to roleplay Smough, is it even possible to use his armor/hammer without being encumbered? I'm at 37 end now and it sure doesn't look like it.

EasyMode

Okay, there it is :3. Too bad that plume isn't there when you wear Ornstein's Armor.

Trying to roleplay Smough, is it even possible to use his armor/hammer without being encumbered? I'm at 37 end now and it sure doesn't look like it.
37 Endurance? Maybe if you combine Havel's Ring and the Darkwood Grain Ring.

Edit: Never mind, I just looked up how heavy that stuff is... 82.1! Might as well forget about using the Darkwood Ring. You won't be doing any flips in that getup.

I just glanced at the IGN guide index:

New Londo Ruins
Demon Ruins
Lost Izalith
Kiln of the First Flame

... :( NOOO.

I'm 50 hours in and I could go another 50. I don't want it to end.

I just glanced at the IGN guide index:

New Londo Ruins
Demon Ruins
Lost Izalith
Kiln of the First Flame

... :( NOOO.

I'm 50 hours in and I could go another 50. I don't want it to end.

NG+. Also, if you are a melee build and aren't great with your parries, the final boss is going to make you his bitch. Repeatedly.

NG+ isn't the same. I like the sense of exploration and finding new stuff. It's a huge game, but I still want more!

Also, I can't parry for shit. I just hide behind my shield most of time. I think I'll be summoning before the last boss :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How do you backstab? Is it a theif only ability? I'm behind enemies a lot, and I simply do the normal attack.

Also, kick seems to only work when it wants to. I've kicked with a longsword before, but never when I "want" it to.

What gives?

This game is so simple, yet it's very involving. Before you know it you've played for hours. It's insane.

Also, wtf at the boar boss being just out in the open, not behind a white wall?!?

NG+. Also, if you are a melee build and aren't great with your parries, the final boss is going to make you his bitch. Repeatedly.

I wonder if he got nerfed in 1.05. I just beat him on my first try melee only, no ripostes. BK Greataxe +5, medium armor, Silver Knight shield +5, Flame Def ring.

He was down in less than a minute and I was playing sloppy.

How do you backstab? Is it a theif only ability? I'm behind enemies a lot, and I simply do the normal attack.

Also, wtf at the boar boss being just out in the open, not behind a white wall?!?

Make sure you lower your shield for backstabbing. The boar's just a miniboss.

I wonder if he got nerfed in 1.05. I just beat him on my first try melee only, no ripostes. BK Greataxe +5, medium armor, Silver Knight shield +5, Flame Def ring.

I just beat him yesterday, and he was mauling me no matter what I did. The only time he let up on his assault was when he grabbed me and blew my ass up. I couldn't even get away to heal because apparently they fixed his pathfinding and he just walked around or attacked straight through the stalagmites. I eventually just summoned two phantoms and wrecked his ass, but I felt cheap about it :/

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Make sure you lower your shield for backstabbing. The boar's just a miniboss.

Oh, that might explain it. Also, thanks for clarifying the boss.

Also, are bosses supposed to be dropping loot? I haven't gotten anything off of any monsters except for yard trash.

elty

What is the prefer load out for using BK Great Axe? I have the following

BK Great Axe / tailsman
Silver knight shield / composite bow

Mask of the child (or mother?)
???
???
???

Dark Grain Ring

With 40 endurance it is not really enough to equip medium armor, the best I can do is Dark Armor + Ornstein Gauntlet + Crimson Waistcloth, but I have to remove composite bow.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
OK, so getting the Sunlight Maggot to drop is definitely not a certainty it would seem. I opened the shortcut and they only dropped Sunlight Medals. Later Solaire was there sulking.

I've given up trying to get the good ending for Seigmeyer. No matter how careful I am it always ends with
his daughter crying over his dead body at Ash Lake. Is the wiki lying about the ending where they are both there "alive and well"?
I can't seem to find an instance of it on YT.

OK, so getting the Sunlight Maggot to drop is definitely not a certainty it would seem. I opened the shortcut and they only dropped Sunlight Medals. Later Solaire was there sulking.

I've given up trying to get the good ending for Seigmeyer. No matter how careful I am it always ends with
his daughter crying over his dead body at Ash Lake. Is the wiki lying about the ending where they are both there "alive and well"?

I'm starting to think there isn't one. There's a bunch of contradictory ways to get it floating around and I've yet to see a Youtube of the Good ending.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
http://i.imgur.com/tuTIy.jpg

Exactly what I did last week, lol.
100% accurate pre-1.05 when antiquated skirt+5 was a fucking beast.

It's a 100% drop when there's 9 of them, doesn't drop period when there's 8. In my first playthrough I missed it too since the item glow on the corpse isn't bright and because the corpses sometimes fall through the level when they died. On NG+ (which I started a few days ago) I made sure to kill 4 before opening the gate and corral the other 5 when I opened it (they run away from you so run ahead of them, turn around, and they'll jump towards where you came from). Killed the one with the glowy eyes and mashed x while next to corpse just in case it fell through and got it sure enough.
-------------------------------------

Speaking of which, anyone want to trade me a pendant and an old witch' ring (not for the Sunlight Maggot)?

EasyMode

It's a 100% drop when there's 9 of them, doesn't drop period when there's 8.
I thought so too, but one time I killed all 9 and didn't get the drop, and I'm pretty sure I counted the bodies to make sure none fell through. I think it's because I didn't speak to Solaire at the Sunlight Altar. I opened the shortcut, avoided the centipede fight and this was the result.

Septimius

Soooo do I have to beat the 4 kings before I can get a red summon stone? The blue one doesnt work so great..

Can I summon ppl for the 4kings fight? Should I beat Seath first? I think I still need to do a bunch of shit, like the painted world also.. I finished Anor but not that.. I got the doll tho afaik.

You can't get the red eye orb if you don't beat the four kings before you place the Lordvessel

bone_and_sinew

I thought so too, but one time I killed all 9 and didn't get the drop, and I'm pretty sure I counted the bodies to make sure none fell through. I think it's because I didn't speak to Solaire at the Sunlight Altar. I opened the shortcut, avoided the centipede fight and this was the result.
I talked to him in Undead Burg before the dragon bridge (where you first meet him) and then killed him immediately to get his gear. I skipped the centipede fight too before getting the maggot, I got the maggot a couple days ago and just did the centipede fight last night.

I just beat him yesterday, and he was mauling me no matter what I did. The only time he let up on his assault was when he grabbed me and blew my ass up.

Maybe my BK Greataxe was able to stagger him? I was only hit two or three times in my battle.
I think I got incredibly lucky with bosses in my run through. I beat 12 of the bosses on my first try and I'm generally a pretty crap gamer.

What is the prefer load out for using BK Great Axe? I have the following
BK Great Axe / tailsman
Silver knight shield / composite bow
Mask of the child (or mother?)
???
???
???
Dark Grain Ring

With 40 endurance it is not really enough to equip medium armor, the best I can do is Dark Armor + Ornstein Gauntlet + Crimson Waistcloth, but I have to remove composite bow.

With 32 endurance and BK Greataxe I'm wearing:

Mask of Child
Paladin chest +5 or Ornstein for the looks
Hard Leather Gauntlets +5
Xanthous waist +5
Pyro glove
Talisman
Dark Grain
Protection and Favor

Feeling pretty badass.

bone_and_sinew

Maybe it dropped because he was dead... you monster! He just wanted to stare at the sun and engage in jolly co-operation :/

Is his gear any good?
I've upgraded it to +7 so far and I've yet to see anything in the numbers that makes me want to wear it (though most of the other armors I've got at +9 or +4 if they're twinkling upgrades) and I change armor all the time. Really, everything he dropped is disappointing. His shield can't be upgraded and his talisman is outperformed by Dakrmoon and Canvas talismans at my current faith level (40). His sword is like swinging a stick. I only killed him in NG+ because I'm a completionist and want every single inventory item in the game and because in NG I did his quest all the way to
Gwyn
and he even survived that encounter.

He is in hyper-mode. Taking advantage of attack bonuses when health is low. There is a ring you can wear to take advantage of this.

Edits: Hyper-mode was used a lot more in Demon Souls that what I have seen in Dark Souls. Really no equivalant to Morion Blade / Cleaver Rat Ring from Demon Souls in Dark Souls.

Yeah, what we have in Dark Souls can't be called hyper mode unfortunately

>%20 HP for +%50 attack vs >%30 HP for +%160 attack

Hm, I just killed Ornstein first because I was under the impression that you won't get a drop of his ring otherwise, but I didn't get a drop. Is the ring not a guaranteed drop?

krakov

37 Endurance? Maybe if you combine Havel's Ring and the Darkwood Grain Ring.

Edit: Never mind, I just looked up how heavy that stuff is... 82.1! Might as well forget about using the Darkwood Ring. You won't be doing any flips in that getup.

Endurance yes. I think the total weight is around 73 or something, maybe 82.1 is pre-patch. Still I only have around 133-135 or so with 37 END, Havels ring and Ring of FoP.

The goal here is to stay under 50%

bone_and_sinew

Hm, I just killed Ornstein first because I was under the impression that you won't get a drop of his ring otherwise, but I didn't get a drop. Is the ring not a guaranteed drop?
Maybe they fixed it with 1.05 but when I did S&O with 1.03, every single time I killed Ornstein before Smough I got the Leo Ring. Since that fight took me like 10 tries my first play through I ended up with like 10 Leo Rings lol. Now in NG+ with 1.05 I killed Smough first and once I killed Super-Ornstein I got the ring too.

Maybe they fixed it with 1.05 but when I did S&O with 1.03, every single time I killed Ornstein before Smough I got the Leo Ring. Since that fight took me like 10 tries my first play through I ended up with like 10 Leo Rings lol. Now in NG+ with 1.05 I killed Smough first and once I killed Super-Ornstein I got the ring too.

After the patch, you have to kill Ornstein second to get the ring.

Oh okay, good. I read that you don't get the ring if you kill Ornstein last, which is what I wanted to do. Glad they fixed it.

Also, is Super Ornstein weak to fire?

shiroryu

I think the patch has fixed pathfinding for the bosses at the very least.

I had heard Capra could be killed in complete safety from the ledge at the very end of the stairs, but just fought him first time and he could still hit me. Kept falling off, though. Got sloppy and took hits - the lock on camera was spazzing out and taking out the dogs took forever, but Capra himself was easy.

Before the fight, tried out helping people on the Capra fight to see what it was like. Unfortunately my first summon was invaded and the host ran away from the spot and the invader killed him before I could get there. Felt bad :(

After the boss fight, though, I tried doing it again, and got summoned consecutively four times, woo-hoo! I'm sure bosses scale in health as well with host level, because I got rid of the first three Capras in 15 seconds; the last one seemed doughtier for what looked like a high-level Cleric, but again, not tough.

So a question for DS-GAF: when summoned for boss fights, is there some etiquette you follow? I took down the Capras rather quickly, so the hosts probably didn't enjoy the fight. I changed my thing for the last fight, brought Capra down to 5% and let the host finish him off. Do you people hang back and support as needed, or just go all out? Wish there was some internal message-style communication so I could ask people what they wanted me to do in the fight.

I think the patch has fixed pathfinding for the bosses at the very least.

I had heard Capra could be killed in complete safety from the ledge at the very end of the stairs, but just fought him first time and he could still hit me. Kept falling off, though. Got sloppy and took hits - the lock on camera was spazzing out and taking out the dogs took forever, but Capra himself was easy.

Before the fight, tried out helping people on the Capra fight to see what it was like. Unfortunately my first summon was invaded and the host ran away from the spot and the invader killed him before I could get there. Felt bad :(

After the boss fight, though, I tried doing it again, and got summoned consecutively four times, woo-hoo! I'm sure bosses scale in health as well with host level, because I got rid of the first three Capras in 15 seconds; the last one seemed doughtier for what looked like a high-level Cleric, but again, not tough.

So a question for DS-GAF: when summoned for boss fights, is there some etiquette you follow? I took down the Capras rather quickly, so the hosts probably didn't enjoy the fight. I changed my thing for the last fight, brought Capra down to 5% and let the host finish him off. Do you people hang back and support as needed, or just go all out? Wish there was some internal message-style communication so I could ask people what they wanted me to do in the fight.

I think in general, when people summon for bosses, they just want the thing dead and don't really care about how it's done. Only exception is S & O; ask which one they want to kill first.

bone_and_sinew

Unless I get a psn message with the word "tail", I try to destroy every boss as quickly as possible when I'm a phantom and I've received multiple "thanks" messages as a result. When Crystal Ring shield was beastly, people would use it a lot as well to destroy the bosses fast. The only time I've seen people stand back is for the Centipede Demon which is understandable since the host won't have the lava ring and many phantoms don't either (I use it along with Replenishment to melee him in the lava).

You can tell when someone is facing a boss the first time or not since there's a cutscene for the first time encounter and no-cutscene every time after. I figure that no-cutscene means they've probably died a lot and just want to get it over with. I might take things easy if there's a cutscene. I also like to check trophy levels of who I'm playing with to get a sense of their experience. But yeah, most of the time I try to destroy bosses as fast as possible.

Wool

The only etiquette I can think of is to cut off the boss's tail if it has one before trying to kill it. If I summon people to help me and I want to cut the tail off I will usually send them a message really quick, but if I am a phantom I'll just go for it regardless.

J-Roderton

After all the crap I've played so far, I can't seem to take out the Titanite Demon. I don't have any arrows or anything so that is ruled out. I'm using Drake Sword on it but it keeps grabbing me and smashing me to a pulp. I just got the crest to open the door in the forest but I usually just run past the Titanite Demon on the way there. I wanna kill the bastard. How did you guys kill it?

EasyMode

For bosses I usually go all in. If I get a message with a specific request, then I'll follow that. If I don't get a message for the S&O fight, I'll attack whoever the host attacks. I haven't helped with any of the tail-boss fights, but if I did I would go for the tail.

If someone summons me to help with the level I might switch to a weaker weapon instead of one-shotting everything. I once got the boot for doing that.

After all the crap I've played so far, I can't seem to take out the Titanite Demon. I don't have any arrows or anything so that is ruled out. I'm using Drake Sword on it but it keeps grabbing me and smashing me to a pulp. I just got the crest to open the door in the forest but I usually just run past the Titanite Demon on the way there. I wanna kill the bastard. How did you guys kill it?

I just went a killed a bunch of them today. They're usually a pain.

The method I generally find best is run right up to it and circle around it. Keep pushing up against him and when you get behind him start hitting him with whatever weapon you have. I find that when you're right up on him most of his attacks don't hit you. Back off when he jumps though.

bone_and_sinew

I use hit and run guerrilla tactics. Even in NG+ and with a level 100 character they're still annoying to me because they have lots of health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom