• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish I killed this Lautrec asshole back in the Parish. My firelink bonfire is gone and now I have to fight him with two other buddies in Anor Londo.
Man, fuck these bell gargoyle shitheads.
Get a 100% physical damage reduction shield and the Drake Sword (or something that hits hard at that point in the game). Lock on, circle strafe while shield up, and get in 1-2 strikes when he's open. Focus on killing the first one because once it's gone the second is a piece of cake. Do not try to roll away from their attacks.

I agree that Nito is pretty boss, but he's also at the end of one of the most hated zones of the game, is a bitch to draw, and his boss battle is lame as hell.

It's true that the fall damage you take at the start is the hardest part about the boss fight, but I really like his design.

As for ToG, I don't know, after you find the Lantren and use properly (not like me, who wasted an hour and a half not knowing what it does after equipin it in the right hand slot) I don't think the area is that bad, I actually kinda like it.

Lost Izalith however... that was baaad...

Go human and summon Solaire.

Now I have a question of my own, what can I do to easily beat Gwyn as a caster? Are there any low requirement weapons that do a shit ton of damage to him? I usually end up getting 2 shot if I try CHSM. Fucker is too damn fast. If I gear up with Havel's set and use Iron Flesh I can last way longer, but my only decent weapon is a +5 Lightning Spear which doesn't take him out fast enough. :/

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
OK cool. Remembering that bridge, don't think there is any way I could get over it at the moment, I just get fucked with fire! Do you have to actually kill the dragon?!

If you stand in the little alcove across from the staircase behind the wall his flames can't hit you. Eventually he'll get tired of trying to burn you from the tower and fly down and land on the bridge. When he does, run between his legs. He'll throw a bit of a hissy fit and fly away when you get through the door he's guarding. Then you can loot the corpses at your leisure.

If you rescue Lautrec in the church and talk to him at Firelink Shrine you can summon him to help with that fight. He and Solaire can basically win that fight with no assistance from you if you're completely fed up with it.

sixghost

If you stand in the little alcove across from the staircase behind the wall his flames can't hit you. Eventually he'll get tired of trying to burn you from the tower and fly down and land on the bridge. When he does, run between his legs. He'll throw a bit of a hissy fit and fly away when you get through the door he's guarding. Then you can loot the corpses at your leisure.

If you rescue Lautrec in the church and talk to him at Firelink Shrine you can summon him to help with that fight. He and Solaire can basically win that fight with no assistance from you if you're completely fed up with it.

Woah, really? I can't believe I'm still learning stuff like this. I even have the hardcover guide.

ixix- is it even possible to kill the bridge dragon legitimately? I was extremely overleveled at 125 on a NG+ and got pretty close by doing the hiding trick, then cut off his tail and ran to the little side platforms near the bonfire gate. I threw about 12 lightning/sun spears at him and had him down to about 15%. Then he just went into this infinite knockdown loop that knocked me down but gave me just enough time to drink an estus, but nothing else.

His attack patterns are ridiculous, even with maxed Steel armor, casting flash sweat, wearing the flame resist ring, he was still doing tons of damage to me. I had 40/40 vit/end with a ton of faith for magic defense too. It just doesn't seem possible.

Jubs

lol, i chopped off the tail of one of the gargoyles. That was pretty awesome. Still getting my ass beat. I keep forgetting I can summon people.

ixix

Woah, really? I can't believe I'm still learning stuff like this. I even have the hardcover guide.

ixix- is it even possible to kill the bridge dragon legitimately? I was extremely overleveled at 125 on a NG+ and got pretty close by doing the hiding trick, then cut off his tail and ran to the little side platforms near the bonfire gate. I threw about 12 lightning/sun spears at him and had him down to about 15%. Then he just went into this infinite knockdown loop that knocked me down but gave me just enough time to drink an estus, but nothing else.

His attack patterns are ridiculous, even with maxed Steel armor, casting flash sweat, wearing the flame resist ring, he was still doing tons of damage to me. I had 40/40 vit/end with a ton of faith for magic defense too. It just doesn't seem possible.

I managed to kill him by baiting him into landing then going apeshit on him with Crystal Homing Soulmass and Crystal Soul Spear with the Tin Crystallization Catalyst, Dusk Crown, and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring equipped. That was on a character in NG+ or ++, so on a first playthrough you can probably manage with a little less overkill.

He regenerates while clinging to the tower, so the key is to keep him on the bridge and just unload on him.

zsswimmer

Wtf, I got invaded in Painted World, lost, and went back to my bloodstain only to find it not there at all or anywhere near the vicinity. Had 200k souls too ;_;

What went wrong when they were designing the Nito fight? I'm not sure why he needs an army of invisible enemies that can stunlock you to death.

I thought the Tomb of the Giants was mostly pretty easy, though (at least after the beginning).

ixix

One thing I'd really like to see added is a notification if there's an invader in the game when you get summoned for co-op.

With how frequent invasions are anymore it's pretty safe to assume there's one, but a little heads-up would still be nice.

Beats

1044c665ff19e7d8463cch2fry.jpg

What went wrong when they were designing the Nito fight? I'm not sure why he needs an army of invisible enemies that can stunlock you to death.

I thought the Tomb of the Giants was mostly pretty easy, though (at least after the beginning).

They aren't invisible...the do respawn if you don't kill them with a Divine weapon, though.

EDIT ^ I like that one. You don't even have to know the language to understand the punchline. Shame most of those comics are untranslated. I found one of the Maiden Astraea/Garl Vinland fight with professional-quality artwork, but the dialogue was all untranslated.

23161065_p7.jpg

Beats

EDIT ^ I like that one. You don't even have to know the language to understand the punchline. Shame most of those comics are untranslated. I found one of the Maiden Astraea/Garl Vinland fight with professional-quality artwork, but the dialogue was all untranslated.

Yeah there's a few of them that don't really need a translation. There's this one that I'd like to see translated. The before last panel is pretty amusing by itself.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
All these fanarts and comics are amazing! Definitely time for a wallpaper update :) Thanks for providing, chaps.

I fell a couple of times to Gwyn last night, and before that had my first Dragoneye duel at the beginning of the Kiln. So awesome.

My question is: Is there anything I should definitely do before attempting to finish and move on to NG+? I'm pretty sure I've beaten every "optional" boss, including
Four Kings and Gwyndolin
. If there's anything I've missed, I wouldn't want to have to trek through a large portion of the game again with it at the back of my mind.

Any major weapon reinforcements/transcensions I should get done while I can? I still have several boss souls in the cooler, waiting for them to pop up on a +10... There might even be one ember I still haven't given to someone. Will have to confirm later.

Dah! Curse this awesomely expansive content!

Edit: Haha, those Priscilla comics are cute. Nice translations too - "what a fix!"

All these fanarts and comics are amazing! Definitely time for a wallpaper update :) Thanks for providing, chaps.

I fell a couple of times to Gwyn last night, and before that had my first Dragoneye duel at the beginning of the Kiln. So awesome.

My question is: Is there anything I should definitely do before attempting to finish and move on to NG+? I'm pretty sure I've beaten every "optional" boss, including
Four Kings and Gwyndolin
. If there's anything I've missed, I wouldn't want to have to trek through a large portion of the game again with it at the back of my mind.

Any major weapon reinforcements/transcensions I should get done while I can? I still have several boss souls in the cooler, waiting for them to pop up on a +10... There might even be one ember I still haven't given to someone. Will have to confirm later.

Dah! Curse this awesomely expansive content!

Kill NPCs, especially the Blacksmiths and Solaire, for their drops.

I didn't kill Reah, Quelana (mostly because I forgot), or the Fair Lady and Engyi, though. Beware of Tears

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the suggestion, but ;____; I couldn't do that on my current character. Felt bad enough upon
having to kill Gwindolin

Perhaps if I make a new 'evil' character. Call me crazy, but I like to stick to a certain amount of roleplay even in my single player experinces.

Thanks for the suggestion, but ;____; I couldn't do that on my current character. Felt bad enough upon
having to kill Gwindolin

Perhaps if I make a new 'evil' character. Call me crazy, but I like to stick to a certain amount of roleplay even in my single player experinces.

This is what I'm doing for all my future characters. First playthough was just to test the waters and get the weapons and cheevos. My next is going to be a dex/faith sunbrolette.

ixix

having to kill Gwindolin

If you didn't take it as your gift buy the Master Key. Make sure you've gotten all the Titanite Slabs before moving on to NG+. There's one of each color guaranteed, with potentially a second regular Titanite Slab if you complete a sidequest. They're a huge pain in the ass to farm, so the guaranteed ones are immensely handy. On the same note do all the Titanite Chunk farming you want before finishing up, since you're obviously not going to have access to the best farming spot again for a while.

Also make sure you've done all the weapon upgrades you want to do. You have to collect the embers again in NG+, so if you want to make, say, a Magic +10 weapon or a Divine +10 weapon or a similar upgrade path that requires a late-game ember you should do it now, not later. Putting together a Divine +10 is a pretty good idea in general for dealing with the Catacombs in NG+. Make it a nice bludgeoning weapon while you're at it for maximum NG+ skeleton-slaying convenience. Also not a bad idea to bring some weapons up to +10 so you can forge them with your NG+ boss souls without needing to fetch the Large Ember. The
Depths
are 100% optional with the Master Key, so you can skip it entirely on your NG+ if you don't need the ember.

I'm guessing you already did
the Painted World
since you know who Priscilla is, so it sounds like you've knocked out all the optional areas.

I think those are the biggest preparatory steps to take before starting NG+. Or at least they're the things I wish I had done before wrapping things up.

ixix

Ohhhh piss. I didn't know that. Ugh.

It was kind of an unpleasant surprise for me my first time entering NG+. I was all like "Hey Andre why you holdin' out on me? Your weapon upgrade options seem awfully limite- oh my god where are all the embers I gave you?"

It was kind of an unpleasant surprise for me my first time entering NG+. I was all like "Hey Andre why you holdin' out on me? Your weapon upgrade options seem awfully limite- oh my god where are all the embers I gave you?"

And some of those are a bitch to get. I never did pick up the one in the Tomb with the Giant skeleton gangbang.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
That's great advice, ixix, thanks a lot :D I did buy the Master Key eventually (after having unlocked every door in the world.) Looks like upgrading is my best bet. At least having a few +10 weapons handy is a good plan.
And some of those are a bitch to get. I never did pick up the one in the Tomb with the Giant skeleton gangbang.
Think I missed that one, too. Your description would make even the hardest knight shudder at the thought of ever touching a Homeward Bone again.

Btw, I like your idea for a DEX/FAI Sundudette build. I was thinking about doing the same, but with STR/FAI. Would be nice if we could team up as Sunsiblings at some point.

... then maybe we fall in forbidden love and get married under the waterfall in the basin only to get invaded and you die and even though i avenge you the pain is too great and i become a servant of chaos farming away at weak souls for humanity but even that is not enough to satiate my dark desires and i eventually become a gravelord slave never wanting to defeat my master nito and thus never ending the game so i eternally hide my sign in horrible places while just sitting staring at it waiting for someone to bring me the sweet embrace of death...

Or, you know. Something like that, maybe.

That's great advice, ixix, thanks a lot :D I did buy the Master Key eventually (after having unlocked every door in the world.) Looks like upgrading is my best bet. At least having a few +10 weapons handy is a good plan.

Think I missed that one, too. Your description would make even the hardest knight shudder at the thought of ever touching a Homeward Bone again.

I think my exact thought process went something like:

*falls into hole*
"Oh, this is new. I see two giant skeletons, I'll just kill those and grab that-"
*Two giants start attacking from behind*
"oh, well this things more difficult, I'll just back up and toss a Great Chaos-"
*The first two, and two more, join the party*
"*sounds of uncontrollable weeping as I am quickly turned to putty*"

Btw, I like your idea for a DEX/FAI Sundudette build. I was thinking about doing the same, but with STR/FAI. Would be nice if we could team up as Sunsiblings at some point.

... then maybe we fall in forbidden love and get married under the waterfall in the basin only to get invaded and you die and even though i avenge you the pain is too great and i become a servant of chaos farming away at weak souls for humanity but even that is not enough to satiate my dark desires and i eventually become a gravelord slave never wanting to defeat my master nito and thus never ending the game so i eternally hide my sign in horrible places while just sitting staring at it waiting for someone to bring me the sweet embrace of death...

Or, you know. Something like that, maybe

Oh come on, first the smutty fanfiction in the Reach thread, and now here? You're all perverts, all of 'yous.

:p

Zoe

He never flew away for me... he just kept breathing fire over and over again into the room :(

ixix

The Iron Round Shield is really starting to grow on me. Reasonable 14 Strength stat requirement, only 5 weight, good Stability, easily upgradable, potentially available as soon as you reach Blighttown, and deflects attacks like a greatshield while still being able to parry. I also like the weathered look it's got going. Its magic and lightning resistances could stand to be better, but I think it's going to replace the Silver Knight Shield as my default go-to shield. Thanks to whoever recommended it earlier in the thread; I never would have tried it out otherwise.

As long as I'm on the subject, if you haven't joined the Forest Hunters and murdered Shiva and his bodyguard for their delicious items, do it before NG+. If it makes you feel any better about it, he's kind of a dick.

As long as I'm on the subject, if you haven't joined the Forest Hunters and murdered Shiva and his bodyguard for their delicious items, do it before NG+. If it makes you feel any better about it, he's kind of a dick.

Plus, if you actually let the Ninja out of his little alcove, it's actually a pretty good fight. Not as good as Pharis, but still fun.

J-Roderton

Where can I find arrows? I just unlocked the door in the forest but can't go back to undead merchant because I killed him for that sword. Is there anywhere near the forest to find arrows?

ixix

He never flew away for me... he just kept breathing fire over and over again into the room :(

Oh dear. I've never had that happen to me, but now I kind of want it to happen. I've always thought he gives up a little too easy once you get under him. With that sort of defeatist attitude it's no wonder he doesn't count as a real dragon.

pmj

I was doing Smough and Ornstein on NG+ and they either have tons of health, or my fury sword just doesn't cut it anymore, or possibly my build is shit (level 86, pure melee, high end.) The fight takes so long that my left thumb is going numb while I slowly chip Ornsteins health off tiny bit by tiny bit.

I finally get him, and while I fail to avoid super Smough's butt stomp four times out of five, I have him down to a third of his health and I still have a couple of flasks left. The fight was going my way. But then the controller battery dies and since the game never pauses for any reason, I die a few seconds later.

I have a question. I've tried to bring Solaire to the fight, but he engages the guards in the room outside S&O and never joins me in the boss room. Is there any way I can get him to follow me without removing all enemies on the way to the boss door? Also, is it true that bosses will have more health if you bring help, and would that be true even if the help doesn't actually arrive to help you in the fight? I figured I'd summon help on this playthrough just for some variety, but I'll skip this if it helps.

Any tip on how to make this a five minute fight instead of a 20 minute fight would be most welcome.

tokkun

I was doing Smough and Ornstein on NG+ and they either have tons of health, or my fury sword just doesn't cut it anymore, or possibly my build is shit (level 86, pure melee, high end.) The fight takes so long that my left thumb is going numb while I slowly chip Ornsteins health off tiny bit by tiny bit.

I finally get him, and while I fail to avoid super Smough's butt stomp four times out of five, I have him down to a third of his health and I still have a couple of flasks left. The fight was going my way. But then the controller battery dies and since the game never pauses for any reason, I die a few seconds later.

I have a question. I've tried to bring Solaire to the fight, but he engages the guards in the room outside S&O and never joins me in the boss room. Is there any way I can get him to follow me without removing all enemies on the way to the boss door? Also, is it true that bosses will have more health if you bring help, and would that be true even if the help doesn't actually arrive to help you in the fight? I figured I'd summon help on this playthrough just for some variety, but I'll skip this if it helps.

Any tip on how to make this a five minute fight instead of a 20 minute fight would be most welcome.

They do have a lot of health in NG+. Summon some human players instead of Solaire.

Oh dear. I've never had that happen to me, but now I kind of want it to happen. I've always thought he gives up a little too easy once you get under him. With that sort of defeatist attitude it's no wonder he doesn't count as a real dragon.

Ornstein needed to get off his lazy ass and kill that drake. Dude's probably out of practice doing nothing but sitting around Anor Londo for a thousand years. Smough could use the exercise, too.

ixix

There's basically no way Solaire will make it to the boss chamber if you don't clear out the enemies first. You might be able to get away with only killing the archer on the stairs and the guard nearest the fog door, but if either of them are alive he'll almost invariably aggro them and refuse to proceed until they're dead. And his AI is basically incapable of dealing with them, so he'll get his shit ruined most of the time if that happens.

Pure melee builds have difficulties in general. If you picked up Avelyn on your first game it can come in handy for fights where it's hard to get close like that one.

I really do not look forward to S&O.

You should look forward to them. It's the best boss fight in the game.

J-Roderton

Well technically I don't look forward to dying countless times attempting it. I suck at this game but still keep trying to push on. I'm sure it will be quite the fight.

ixix

Ornstein needed to get off his lazy ass and kill that drake. Dude's probably out of practice doing nothing but sitting around Anor Londo for a thousand years. Smough could use the exercise, too.

Well his title is Ornstein the Dragon Slayer. While they may be closely related, technically a drake is not a dragon, and is therefore outside of Ornstein's jurisdiction. The Undead Burg's on its own on this one.

Question for some of the more experienced players. I chose to go into Human Form. I then died. When I went and recovered my souls and humanity I didn't return to Human Form. Is that not how it works? If not, what becomes the advantage of becoming Human?

J-Roderton

Question for some of the more experienced players. I chose to go into Human Form. I then died. When I went and recovered my souls and humanity I didn't return to Human Form. Is that not how it works? If not, what becomes the advantage of becoming Human?

You have to be human to be summoned I believe. Also it helps you get a better drop rate from enemies. I'm sure the other guys will give you a better answer.

pmj

ixix, good point about using a weapon with better reach. What really takes so long is kiting them until you can safely get close enough that you can get a swipe or two in. I doubt I have anything, but I could always wait a bit with S&O and upgrade a few more weapons while I do other things. Or maybe for the first time attempt resins.

And about boss health being increased if you summon help, is this something I imagined that someone said or is it real?

You revert to hollow form every time you die. You only get the humanity you were carrying in the top left corner back. You go human to kindle bonfires (which gives you more flasks every time you rest there) and to summon help.

Beats

You have to be human to be summoned I believe. Also it helps you get a better drop rate from enemies. I'm sure the other guys will give you a better answer.

Nah, you can be hollow when helping other people. You have to be human to summon others though.

Well his title is Ornstein the Dragon Slayer. While they may be closely related, technically a drake is not a dragon, and is therefore outside of Ornstein's jurisdiction. The Undead Burg's on its own on this one.

*looks at his trophy room of nothin' but drake*

Alright, so death while human means you 'wasted' a humanity becoming human more or less.

Another question (I love how quickly the thread moves, lol): I have a Short Bow; how many arrows (and what type) should I buy to get the Drake Sword off the Wyvern? I'm currently using wooden arrows, should I get some Heavy Arrows?

pmj

Another question (I love how quickly the thread moves, lol): I have a Short Bow; how many arrows (and what type) should I buy to get the Drake Sword off the Wyvern? I'm currently using wooden arrows, should I get some Heavy Arrows?

Don't bother with more expensive arrows right now, they do more damage but not nearly enough to make it worth the extra cost.

How many it takes will depend on distance to the target (closer means more damage per hit), your stats and how many shots you'll miss. I think I needed somewhere between 50 and 100 arrows. I say get as many as you can afford. If you don't need them all now, they'll come in handy later.

ixix

You get your souls and Humanity back when you recover your bloodstain, but you don't become human again. You need to pay a point of Humanity at a bonfire again to become human again.

When you're human you can summon help and be invaded. This includes both AI and human-controlled phantoms of both the friendly and malicious persuasion. If you're playing online do note that invasions are kind of absurdly frequent at the moment, and the incredibly popular glass cannon invader builds combined with the frequent lag make invasions more annoying than exhilarating. If you're not planning on summoning help you're better off just staying hollow all the time.

ixix, good point about using a weapon with better reach. What really takes so long is kiting them until you can safely get close enough that you can get a swipe or two in. I doubt I have anything, but I could always wait a bit with S&O and upgrade a few more weapons while I do other things. Or maybe for the first time attempt resins.

And about boss health being increased if you summon help, is this something I imagined that someone said or is it real?

You might also try Pyromancy. You've probably got souls to burn if you're on NG+, and Pyromancy is stat-independent. It's a great fallback for non-spellcaster builds. If you haven't upgraded your flame at all it's a long trek back to Firelink or Blighttown, but if you're having no luck it might be worth the trip.

I'm not sure about bosses getting more HP if you do them in co-op. In spite of all the co-oping I do I'm pretty vague on the mechanics of the whole thing.

*looks at his trophy room of nothin' but drake*

Maybe that's not Ornstein's trophy room. Maybe it's a shrine dedicated to Ornstein administered by a misguided fan who is not up to date on the latest in fire-breathing lizard taxonomy, and Ornstein is just too polite to inform him of the difference.

tokkun

If not, what becomes the advantage of becoming Human?

1. Ability to summon other players for co-op.
2. Increased item drop rate.
3. Increased defense.
4. Increased resistance to curse.
5. Ability to kindle bonfires.
6. Increased damage with chaos-based weapons and spells.
7. Ability to invade other players as a Darkwraith.
8. Ability to summon players for dragon scale duels.
9. Ability to use Eye of Death to curse people as a Gravelord.

Septimius

1. Ability to summon other players for co-op.
2. Increased item drop rate.
3. Increased defense.
4. Increased resistance to curse.

5. Ability to kindle bonfires.
6. Increased damage with chaos-based weapons and spells.
7. Ability to invade other players as a Darkwraith.
8. Ability to summon players for dragon scale duels.
9. Ability to use Eye of Death to curse people as a Gravelord.

Bolded aren't benefits of being human. They're benefits of having 'bound' humanity (the number in the top left corner) - so every time you go human, you in essence drop your bonus in these a tiny bit (if you're not above the cap. Which you never are with defense)

Thanks for the replies everyone, extremely helpful :)

I actually preordered the game and was really excited for the release. I played if for about a week and got stuck on the first boss. FIFA 12 came out and I put the game on the shelf. I've wanted to go back to it for awhile now, and finally did tonight. I am glad I did, the combat in this game really is a complete blast. Again, thanks for answering my questions everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom