• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Just encountered a guy doing co-op as a Sunbro using all of Solaire's equipment. At first it was cute, then I realized he had to kill Solaire to get that gear, and now it just seems sinister.

Maybe that's not Ornstein's trophy room. Maybe it's a shrine dedicated to Ornstein administered by a misguided fan who is not up to date on the latest in fire-breathing lizard taxonomy, and Ornstein is just too polite to inform him of the difference.

Smough is really desperate to get onto the Knights, isn't he?

ixix

I imagine that most people who aren't using guides have Solaire die.

True. But we're talking, like, level 40 co-op here. I don't think he'd been to
Lost Izalith
yet.

And even if he had, it's still a little macabre when you think about it.

Smough is really desperate to get onto the Knights, isn't he?

Maybe Ornstein should let him know that it doesn't matter how many lizard heads he sticks on the wall, he doesn't get to be a knight until he stops eating people.

And maybe cut down on the creepy laugh a bit. The Four Knights are a bit of a PR outfit, after all.

Maybe Ornstein should let him know that it doesn't matter how many lizard heads he sticks on the wall, he doesn't get to be a knight until he stops eating people.

And maybe cut down on the creepy laugh a bit. The Four Knights are a bit of a PR outfit, after all.

I'm so tempted to put this entire back-and-forth onto the WMG page on tvtropes.

Plus, I doubt that Smough cares, even if Ornstein told him to go jump off a cliff. If he thought that he'd be able to get on the Four Knights even through his cannibal habit was common knowledge, he's probably not the brightest light on the circuit. Or the sanest.

Zoe

Oh dear. I've never had that happen to me, but now I kind of want it to happen. I've always thought he gives up a little too easy once you get under him. With that sort of defeatist attitude it's no wonder he doesn't count as a real dragon.

It's not that bad--just tedious waiting for him to take a break. At least he no longer heals when he's pissed at you.

So I had a pretty strange invasion encounter on a new magician character I had made today. Right under the Drake Sword dragon bridge I was invaded, and this guy had some extremely weird stuff going on. He was almost shaped like a ball with whatever armor he was wearing (think it may have been Smough armor, but hard to tell since he was so red), and all of my melee attacks were only doing like 2-5 damage, and he wasn't even blocking. As for his attacks, he was just using some sort of punch and a pink close range ball magic that I was never hit by. He also turned into a barrel from time to time. I had done like no damage to him and lucked out by seeing a white summon sign that I could call on to help, we got the guy down to a sliver of health and then my phantom died. He then finished me off by doing 4 backstabs in a row, with the last three not doing any damage at all but just pushing me further until I fell off the bridge. I still have no idea what the hell was going on there, lag? And what was the pink magic?

Definitely the most unique invasion I've ever had.

shiroryu

this has been my experience so far. When do I get a badass sword like the Crescent Falchion?

The first thing I wanted to do, but unfortunately no easy pickings like Demons' Souls for mages. You'll have to make do with normal weapons/Drake Sword until you get to the Depths or Blighttown, get Green Titanite Shards as drops from the slimes/slugs, and bring it to Rickert, a blacksmith in the New Londo Ruins, to make Magic Weapons that scale with INT. Later on you can upgrade to the Enchanted Weapons that scale even better with INT.

Upgrade chart, courtesy of Dark Souls Wikispaces:

6ojsq.jpg

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
As long as I'm on the subject, if you haven't joined the Forest Hunters and murdered Shiva and his bodyguard for their delicious items, do it before NG+. If it makes you feel any better about it, he's kind of a dick.
I answered "no" to Alvina when I first met her, so I'm kind of locked out of the Forest crew. Is it worth going to get absolved? I'm level 101 and don't think I have the souls (nor patience to obtain the souls) required.

Are their delicious items really that tasty? I was thinking of having a character dedicated to Forest stuff at some point anyway...

tokkun

How do you know Solaire didn't do the same?

You have ruined that character for me.

I answered "no" to Alvina when I first met her, so I'm kind of locked out of the Forest crew. Is it worth going to get absolved? I'm level 101 and don't think I have the souls (nor patience to obtain the souls) required.

Are their delicious items really that tasty? I was thinking of having a character dedicated to Forest stuff at some point anyway...

Dark Wood Grain is one of the best rings in the game and Ring of Fog is still very useful in PvE.

ixix

How do you know Solaire didn't do the same?

You just blew my mind a bit.

For killing Shiva you get the Murakumo, which is kind of neat but has high stat requirements and the Iron Round Shield that I was going on about, but the real star of the show is the Dark Wood Grain Ring, which changes your roll into a cartwheel and lets you move at full speed with an equip load of less than 50%. I am exceedingly fond of that ring.

ixix

A guy who talks about being grossly incandescent can't do that sort of thing.

I dunno. When you think about it Solaire ain't the most stable fella. He's got a bit of an unbalanced streak, to say the least. I mean, all of the signs are there if you care to look. I'm not sure this is an allegation we can dismiss out of hand just because we dislike the implications.

shiroryu

I dunno. When you think about it Solaire ain't the most stable fella. He's got a bit of an unbalanced streak, to say the least. I mean, all of the signs are there if you care to look. I'm not sure this is an allegation we can dismiss out of hand just because we dislike the implications.

You guys really like to put the dark in Dark Souls, don't you. Fight the cynicism!

ixix

Co-oping in Anor Londo. Host summons me, then summons another phantom who is wearing full Darkwraith armor.

For some reason I am not entirely sure I trust this new arrival.

The Bells Gargoyles are kicking my ass too. The 2nd shithead came down after a while and really fucked me up. I might as well try and get the weapon from cutting his tail off, is that tricky to do?

ixix

The Bells Gargoyles are kicking my ass too. The 2nd shithead came down after a while and really fucked me up. I might as well try and get the weapon from cutting his tail off, is that tricky to do?

Not really, no. It pops off with just a couple of good shots. Or even not-so-good shots.

If you're using Solaire and Lautrec they also sometimes hack it off even though their AI has no concept of what a tail even is. Just one clean hit from one of them seems to be enough to take it off.

Not really, no. It pops off with just a couple of good shots. Or even not-so-good shots.

If you're using Solaire and Lautrec they also sometimes hack it off even though their AI has no concept of what a tail even is. Just one clean hit from one of them seems to be enough to take it off.

Thanks. Punked them. I got 10,000 in souls, Gargoyle Tail Axe and Twin Humanities.

Is it a good idea to start storing things like:

Soul of a Lost Undead
Large Soul of a lost undead
.. Nameless Soldier
Twin Humanities

etc in the Bonfire inventory? I seem to be carrying about a billion weapons around at the moment which are mostly much weaker than my trusty axe.

Also, now I have just got a decent amount of souls just then, would it be wise to start upgrading weapons now? Or still levelling my character up?

Annnnnd.. Down the ladder from the church bell, a dude (Oswald of Carim) has appeared and it looks like I can buy a Purging Stone, Indictment and Book of Guilty. There is also an option to Request Absolution and Abandon Covenant, does that mean I have automatically joined him?

Erekiddo

Just finished the game and currently am on NG+ 1.

What guide do you all recommend using so I don't screw up NPC storyline chains?

I just got my 4th slab from New Londo darkwraiths with my 20 hours dex/int pyro. I keep doing invasion so I don't get bored.

I have questions about Avelyn : what would be the best course?

Lightning Avelyn +5 157/0/0/148 + lightning bolts (38/0/0/78)

Fire Avelyn +10 153/0/153/0 + lightning bolts (38/0/0/78)

I believe Lightning Avelyn makes more sense, but I don't know the damage formulas.

2real4tv

Thanks. Punked them. I got 10,000 in souls, Gargoyle Tail Axe and Twin Humanities.

Soul of a Lost Undead
.. Nameless Soldier
Twin Humanities

etc in the Bonfire inventory? I seem to be carrying about a billion weapons around at the moment which are mostly much weaker than my trusty axe.

Also, now I have just got a decent amount of souls just then, would it be wise to start upgrading weapons now? Or still levelling my character up?

Annnnnd.. Down the ladder from the church bell, a dude (Oswald of Carim) has appeared and it looks like I can buy a Purging Stone, Indictment and Book of Guilty. There is also an option to Request Absolution and Abandon Covenant, does that mean I have automatically joined him?

There is 0 penalty for the amount of items you carry. Also all those your named have zero weight.

ixix

Soul of a Lost Undead
.. Nameless Soldier
Twin Humanities

etc in the Bonfire inventory? I seem to be carrying about a billion weapons around at the moment which are mostly much weaker than my trust axe.

I always just throw everything I'm not planning on using into my Bottomless Box. Though anymore I always have any character I make planned out in advance so I know as soon as I pick something up if it's box-bound or if it's staying in my inventory. It won't really hurt anything your first time through to have a cluttered inventory, and you never know what might catch your eye and what you might miss out on by consigning it to the box. One of the chief uses of the Bottomless Box is to keep your inventory clutter-free for quick equipment changes in PvP, which is probably not something you're ready to be worrying about at the moment.

You should probably just go ahead and use the soul-granting items. They do you no good just sitting in your inventory. Just spend them as soon as you use them so you don't end up dying and losing them. I'd also hold onto your Humanity, because they also function as healing items and you never know when an extra one of those might come in handy.

If you're satisfied with your stats for the moment you might consider starting to pump souls into equipment. Depending on your build you might not have access to the weapon upgrades and materials you need, though. You probably don't have access to the Pyromancy trainer yet (and on that note, here's a PROTIP that can't really be emphasised enough: do not hit barrels with people in them with a weapon; roll into them) but you should be meeting him soon and investing in Pyromancy and upgrades for the Flame is not, I don't think, really ever a bad investment. It's useful no matter the build, no matter the stats.

With no real knowledge of what sort of build you're aiming for, I'd say for a first-time character to aim for something like trying to hit 16 Strength and 14 Dexterity to give a solid selection of equipment, then pump Endurance until you can wear your preferred kit with an equip burden of less than 50%, then aim for somewhere in the vicinity of 30 Vitality to have ~1000 HP. Feel free to detour from this plan to focus on Int or Faith or whatever, but I think that's a pretty solid baseline set of stats that'll be useful to pretty much any build.

Oswald doesn't have a Covenant, he just lets you leave ones you've already joined. The game never puts you in a Covenant without giving you an explicit "Join Covenant?" Yes/No prompt, so don't worry about accidentally joining one.

I just got my 4th slab from New Londo darkwraiths with my 20 hours dex/int pyro. I keep doing invasion so I don't get bored.

I have questions about Avelyn : what would be the best course?

Lightning Avelyn +5 157/0/0/148 + lightning bolts (38/0/0/78)

Fire Avelyn +10 153/0/153/0 + lightning bolts (38/0/0/78)

I believe Lightning Avelyn makes more sense, but I don't know the damage formulas.

Basically you want to minimize the number of damage sources on a weapon to minimize the number of enemy resistances that come into play. Each additional damage source adds another set of enemy resistances that serve to further reduce the damage. So the short version is that you want a Lightning Avelyn.

shiroryu

Soul of a Lost Undead
.. Nameless Soldier
Twin Humanities

Edit: beaten.

Just would add: consider helping out fellow Gargoyle hunters by putting your summon sign before the elevator in the Parish - it'll give you a humanity and the full amount of Souls you get going through it with the person you're helping.

Thanks very much!

Currently my stats are:

Pyromancer
Lv 33
Vit 20
Endurance 23
Strength 18
Dex 12

I have the option of buying Velka's Talisman but I am not really sure what miracles are at the moment, I assume magic, but the fire is working out OK for me at the moment.

ixix

Thanks very much!

Currently my stats are:

Pyromancer
Lv 33
Vit 20
Endurance 23
Strength 18
Dex 12

I have the option of buying Velka's Talisman but I am not really sure what miracles are at the moment, I assume magic, but the fire is working out OK for me at the moment.

Petrus, the portly guy hanging out near the back of Firelink Shrine will sell you Miracles if you talk to him enough times. If you're not doing anything out of order you should be meeting the first Sorcery and Pyromancy trainers soon, too. And to reiterate, seeing as how you like Pyromancy and all: barrel with a person in it means it is time to roll, not stab. I harp on this a lot, but accidental barrel-related murder has been something of an epidemic since the start of these threads.

You're off to a fine start on your stats, I'd say. If there's no weapon you're jonesing to use that has a Dex requirement above what you've got then just leave it for now. Vitality is super useful, and it looks like you're off to a good start on it. I like to aim for 30 Vitality ASAP, which gives you 1100 base HP, which is enough to survive virtually any attack from a boss pre-NG+. It gives you the security of knowing that you're not going to get one-shotted every time you walk through a fog door. After you reach that you'll probably have access to more upgrades and such, and have a better grasp of what you want to focus on.

Petrus, the portly guy hanging out near the back of Firelink Shrine will sell you Miracles if you talk to him enough times. If you're not doing anything out of order you should be meeting the first Sorcery and Pyromancy trainers soon, too. And to reiterate, seeing as how you like Pyromancy and all: barrel with a person in it means it is time to roll, not stab. I harp on this a lot, but accidental barrel-related murder has been something of an epidemic since the start of these threads.

You're off to a fine start on your stats, I'd say. If there's no weapon you're jonesing to use that has a Dex requirement above what you've got then just leave it for now. Vitality is super useful, and it looks like you're off to a good start on it. I like to aim for 30 Vitality ASAP, which gives you 1100 base HP, which is enough to survive virtually any attack from a boss pre-NG+. It gives you the security of knowing that you're not going to get one-shotted every time you walk through a fog door. After you reach that you'll probably have access to more upgrades and such, and have a better grasp of what you want to focus on.

OK Cool, thanks very much :) I want to try and take one of those hard bastard knights. There is one in a turret just above the poison rats, and one down an alley way in the Burg. There is a soul behind that one. I tried very early on in the game to fight them and it ended very quickly! :)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Wood Grain is one of the best rings in the game and Ring of Fog is still very useful in PvE.
For killing Shiva you get the Murakumo, which is kind of neat but has high stat requirements and the Iron Round Shield that I was going on about, but the real star of the show is the Dark Wood Grain Ring, which changes your roll into a cartwheel and lets you move at full speed with an equip load of less than 50%. I am exceedingly fond of that ring.
Crumbs, I didn't know Dark Wood Grain let you move at full speed with <50%... could have been really helpful throughout most of my first playthrough - ruined with an answer to a simple question...

Anyhoo, thanks for the tips. I took the advice given and upgraded some stuff, used some boss souls, etc. ready for NG+. I went and beat Gwyn using pure melee (no parries) and some trusty stalagmite allies. Felt like a decent last boss.

I made another slip, though.
I foolishly tried to walk back out to see if anything had changed in the world, or spend my souls before 'finishing' the game, and was promptly met with a cutscene. Pretty sure I got the 'bad' ending and missed something in the cavern...

I mean, pleased I finished the game and all (level 101, about 70hrs), but I can't help feeling like a douche. All that epic keeping the fire alive business and finally I inadvertently choose to
become a Dark Lord of the True Dark.
A bit depressing, really.

Ah well, there's always the next playthrough I guess :)

I got the Claymore from under the Dragon, its a big weapon for sure and maybe too heavy for me right now. Cool though. I noticed the 3 zombies just standing around next to the Bonfire, I left them as it wrong to kill 'em as they weren't after me. Also, I spoke to a dude at the other end of the path and he gave me White Sign Soapstone. I think I avoided going near to him before because I thought he was an enemy :)

And I just joined my first Covenant (Way of White) and he sold me Miracles too, I think that was Petrus, he's behind the Bonfire in Firelink. Didn't have enough souls to buy much though.

Right onto the next Bell, fuck knows where it is :D I opened the basement key up near the dragon (and the chap who gave me the White Sign), will go back.

Such an epicly big game!

I wish they did more with the varying co-op colors stuff. Seems a shame that the only colors for helpers is white and orange. Darkmoon peeps should be laying blue signs and spawning in with blue aura, Forest peeps should drop green sign and have green aura. Maybe make Princess Guard peeps pink, whatever. Would give the "useless" covenants some utility, too, even if only cosmetic.

Aud&#943;oboxer;33149327 said:
It's one of the easiest bosses to cheese.

As a STR build what would people say was a good upgrade from a Greataxe? I assume Black Knight Greataxe, but it didn't drop for me :(

Demon Great Machete, Demon's Greataxe, Black Knight Greataxe and the Great Club

krakov

Large Club is arguably better than Giant Club with A Scaling, Bleed and a more diverse move set. One of the most powerful weapons in the game if you're going with STR scaling.

Does it crush and knock down enemies though ?

If so, then yes it will probably surpass the great club if you are STR focused.

I still think the Black Knight Greataxe is probably the best STR based weapon. I didn't get mine until the very end of my NG+ from the Kiln, but man does that thing rocks. I said I'm gonna make a new character after I finish my NG+ but after getting a taste of that, I'm really itching to just start my NG++ and crush things with that beast.

krakov

Does it crush and knock down enemies though ?

Pretty sure it does, only big difference move wise is the R2 attack which is a lungeing horizontal swipe. I think Smoughs Hammer has been buffed with the patch, but it's pretty damn heavy and hard to use. Dragon Tooth is also viable as it gives some resistances but less damage than the clubs.

Beat Capra Demon and unlocked a door in the town releasing a guy back to Firelink. He offered me some items and I bought "Magic Sword". I can't seem to equip it though, what did I just buy? :)

Beat Capra Demon and unlocked a door in the town releasing a guy back to Firelink. He offered me some items and I bought "Magic Sword". I can't seem to equip it though, what did I just buy? :)
You mean Griggs of Vinheim ?

I think you bought a Sorcery spell that buffs your right hand weapon if you had a Catalyst

Is there any Int/Faith requirement to buy all the miracles, spells, etc?

For trophies: yes
for everything else: no

klee123

I finally got my plat after 105 hours.

Overall, Dark Souls is easier than Demon's Souls. However I do appreciate that From streamlined the game, especially with the upgrade materials.

You mean Griggs of Vinheim ?

I think you bought a Sorcery spell that buffs your right hand weapon if you had a Catalyst

For trophies: yes
for everything else: no

Right ok, what sort of catalyst?

Just got to The Depths, it's cool. Killed a Butcher then fell in a hole in the corner of his room. There is a HUGE rat below me. Looks like I am going to have to try my luck with it, can't see another way out.

Insaniac

Right ok, what sort of catalyst?

Just got to The Depths, it's cool. Killed a Butcher then fell in a hole in the corner of his room. There is a HUGE rat below me. Looks like I am going to have to try my luck with it, can't see another way out.

equip the "sorcerer's catalyst" griggs sells it but you should've found one on the room you rescued him from.

Equip the catalyst in your left hand and an enchantable weapon in the right and you can buff your weapon

Futureman

I had a great play session yesterday.

I beat the Moonlight Butterfly and Gaping Dragon bosses. I got owned by the Wolf with the sword in his mouth.

so Blighttown is next... is there anything special I should get before going? I just checked a wiki real quick, and it looks like a good way to get there is through the Valley of the Drakes? I remember going down there earlier and getting owned by some flying demons. Can't exactly remember how to get back there.

few random questions...

-I have a Claymore +7. Where is the best place to get large titanite shards to keep upgrading?
-I have a Divine Ember now. Should I start upgrading another weapon and then apply it to that? Or would it be worth it to convert my Claymore to Divine? I saw that it would decrease the w in "w/x/y/z" (weapon stats), but take x from 0 to something like 120. I assume later on a divine weapon is very helpful?

My stats are around 26 for STR, END, and VIT. DEX is around 15 and everything else is pretty much untouched.

scosher

I beat the Moonlight Butterfly and Gaping Dragon bosses. I got owned by the Wolf with the sword in his mouth.

so Blighttown is next... is there anything special I should get before going? I just checked a wiki real quick, and it looks like a good way to get there is through the Valley of the Drakes? I remember going down there earlier and getting owned by some flying demons. Can't exactly remember how to get back there.

few random questions...

-I have a Claymore +7. Where is the best place to get large titanite shards to keep upgrading?
-I have a Divine Ember now. Should I start upgrading another weapon and then apply it to that? Or would it be worth it to convert my Claymore to Divine? I saw that it would decrease the w in "w/x/y/z" (weapon stats), but take x from 0 to something like 120. I assume later on a divine weapon is very helpful?

My stats are around 26 for STR, END, and VIT. DEX is around 15 and everything else is pretty much untouched.

- The shortcut to Blight-town is through Valley of Drakes if you have the Master's Key (or you can get there via Darkroot Basin, back where you may have fought the Black Knight and got the Grass Crest Shield). But if you've never been there yet, I'd at least recommend going the normal route through the Depths (the key you got from Gaping Dragon opens the big gates in the sewers by the vendor). The normal route takes longer and can be more frustrating first time through, but there's some good items to be had (Iaito, Eagle Shield, etc.)

- Slimes in the Depths (low droprate), or slugs in the swamp in Blighttown (much better droprate) drop large titanite shards.

- You'll want a Divine weapon later in the game to help you through Catacombs but unless you're a Faith based character, your normal weapon should outdamage it. Note, for the Catacombs, you get a free Occult club later in the game in a chest, which you can downgrade back to a Divine +5 Club without using any mats. This is usually most people's best options for a Divine weapon to deal with the Catacombs.

equip the "sorcerer's catalyst" griggs sells it but you should've found one on the room you rescued him from.

Equip the catalyst in your left hand and an enchantable weapon in the right and you can buff your weapon

I don't have the catalyst and I picked up loads of stuff in that room. It was generally armour though. I can't equip the sword at all, my Intelligence matches its requirement.

scosher

I don't have the catalyst and I picked up loads of stuff in that room. It was generally armour though. I can't equip the sword at all, my Intelligence matches its requirement.

I'm confused cause Griggs doesn't "give" or sell you an actual sword. He sells a sorcery called "Magic Weapon" though if that's what you're talking about.

To use it, go to a bonfire to attune the spell (need an attunement slot and the minimum Int requirement), equip a catalyst in left hand and a regular enchantable weapon in the right hand, and press L1 to enchant).

Also, check your weapon list again for the Sorcerer's Catalyst. It should've been found with the Sorcerer's armor set in the same room you freed Griggs.

elty

few random questions...

Divine weapon is only useful in Catacomb, or with a faith build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom