• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp

So I joined the forest covenant and invaded a good amount of people...hoy fuck am I in over my head
Everyone has insane gear and wrecks me

Kyoufu

mattp said:
So I joined the forest covenant and invaded a good amount of people...hoy fuck am I in over my head
Everyone has insane gear and wrecks me

You're getting destroyed by people that are far higher than you since the forest covenant has no level restrictions. Took me a while but I finally managed to get those 3 kills.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kyoufu said:
You're getting destroyed by people that are far higher than you since the forest covenant has no level restrictions. Took me a while but I finally managed to get those 3 kills.
Playing it cool, using the NPCs, and waiting for others to invade are great strategies for defending the forest.

lingiii

Banned
So I had an incredible Dark Souls session, on top of the world.

I stood up to turn off the console, dropped the controller, and it landed on the "hit the magic Vinheim smith with your lightning spear" button. He survived, but I couldn't turn it off fast enough, so now he's hostile.

Absolution is like 100k souls, which double blows. However, I'm an int build, so I really want enchanted weapons. If I save up, will it fix my problem? Or should I consider bum-rushing through the Lords and finishing up, upgrading my weapons on NG+?

hteng

Banned
Laocoon said:

I stood up to turn off the console, dropped the controller, and it landed on the "hit the magic Vinheim smith with your lightning spear" button. He survived, but I couldn't turn it off fast enough, so now he's hostile.

Absolution is like 100k souls, which double blows. However, I'm an int build, so I really want enchanted weapons. If I save up, will it fix my problem? Or should I consider bum-rushing through the Lords and finishing up, upgrading my weapons on NG+?

i don't recommend NG+ until you've done absolutely everything possible in your current game, it will be more painful in NG+. ie: farming shards, kindling all bonfires, buying tons of healing items...etc.

so yea, farm those souls and pay for your sins. repent

Zzoram

Laocoon said:

Absolution will indeed fix the problem, assuming the blacksmith isn't dead.

dekjo

What level were people when you beat the two Anor Londo bosses? Trying to co-op the boss with someone for souls/humanity (just got furysword), but no one summons me. Been trying for over an hour with no luck.

equil

Laocoon said:

You lose all your embers on NG+ so it'll be more difficult if you wait.

hteng

Banned
dekjo said:
What level were people when you beat the two Anor Londo bosses? Trying to co-op the boss with someone for souls/humanity (just got furysword), but no one summons me. Been trying for over an hour with no luck.

i did it on SL92, hollowed and solo, pure melee, using greatswords 2handed style (shield is like useless in the fight), killed smough first then ornstein, i exhausted all 15 of my flasks by the end of the fight, make sure they can't one shoot you. if you are in human form then summon the praise the sun dude to help you.

dekjo

hteng said:
i did it on SL92, hollowed and solo, pure melee, using greatswords, killed smough first then ornstein, i exhausted all 15 of my flasks by the end of the fight, make sure they can't one shoot you. if you are in human form then summon the praise the sun dude to help you.
I'm sitting at 44 and can probably take the bosses (tried one battle and almost took out the big guy, just needed one more hit on him to focus on the second dude when lightning blindsided me).

But I'm in no hurry to beat the boss myself, I just want to do the fight a few times with others.

maomaoIYP

JRPereira said:
Holy shit. Had no idea the crystal ring shield was -that- powerful. Wish I had it before tomb of the giants - place would've been a breeze (can more or less 1-shot all of the most troublesome enemies).

I'm kind of considering going back there to farm souls. How easy is it to avoid getting
cursed
with all of the
skeleton babies
running around (
assuming cursebite ring, decent armor
).

Do I care to buy all of
logan's
spells before fighting seath? I'm not going to be able to cast with any sort of proficiency until at least ng+, if even then. I've already bought the basics, but I don't feel like collecting 150,000 souls to finish buying everything when the forest is becoming boring to farm, the pvp is so broken, and I'm overleveled for most areas to be summoned.

(probably going overboard with the spoilers?).

You can fight seath without buying all the spells. As long as you haven't bought them all, he'll still be sitting there after you've killed seath.

Augemitbutter said:
same here, i never use humanity for farming, just the ring. guess i was just lucky.
Ahh ok, I'll just try it again later, thanks.

hteng

Banned
dekjo said:
I'm sitting at 44 and can probably take the bosses (tried one battle and almost took out the big guy, just needed one more hit on him to focus on the second dude when lightning blindsided me).

But I'm in no hurry to beat the boss myself, I just want to do the fight a few times with others.

the longer you drag on the fight, the more likely you'll screw up, so it's best you bring in your most powerful weapon to the fight to take out either one of them as fast as possible (and as safe as possible). Ornstein seems to have less health, Smough is slow and can be baited. so depends on whose armor you want you'll need to leave one of them to kill last.

once either one of them is dead, the other will get a power boost and new moves. probably it's best in your interest to learn their patterns from helping people with the fight as a phantom.

dekjo

hteng said:
probably it's best in your interest to learn their patterns from helping people with the fight as a phantom.
Yes, this is exactly what I'd like to do, but no one is summoning me. So I'm wondering if I need to level up my SL a bit so I'm more in the range of others trying this fight.

edit: whoohoo, just got summoned

edit 2: and we won - fun fight. want to do it again.

bathala

Banned
Jadedx said:
I finally got into anor londo, I'm level 72 and everything is killing me. How the hell do I kill those two bosses?
Remember u can block their attacks with ur shield.
This made the fight easier. Well I'm a pyro too

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So on my second playthrough I've been going out of my way to use the NPC phantoms since I mostly eschewed any form of assistance the first time around. All well and good, really, but what's up with the phantom you can summon for the
Four Kings
? When I summoned her she
ran into the room with the drop to the Abyss, then started firing off Soul Arrows even though we hadn't jumped into the pit yet, and when I jumped she followed my lead... and died instantly.

And here I thought only human players
forgot to equip the Covenant of Artorias.

dekjo

Jadedx said:
I finally got into anor londo, I'm level 72 and everything is killing me. How the hell do I kill those two bosses?
Just went through the fight twice - was pretty easy with three players. Go human, summon the NPC and another player, then go kick some ass.

Ken

dekjo said:
Just went through the fight twice - was pretty easy with three players. Go human, summon the NPC and another player, then go kick some ass.

Are you dekjohns? I just summoned someone with that name and he was throwing fireballs lol. If it was, thanks for the help.

Is there any point to new londo ruins? after clearing the place out I have no idea how to turn the switches on or open the gate at the end.

dekjo

Ken said:
Are you dekjohns? I just summoned someone with that name and he was throwing fireballs lol. If it was, thanks for the help.
Sure was. And of course I'm throwing flames - I'm a decked out pyro. Love the look of the chaos fireball.

x3r0123

GhostRidah said:
Is there any point to new londo ruins? after clearing the place out I have no idea how to turn the switches on or open the gate at the end.

Look for a set of ladders in a chimey and talk to the npc

Zzoram

GhostRidah said:

You need to beat Anor Lando and the Wolf boss before doing New Londo Ruins.

x3r0123 said:
Look for a set of ladders in a chimey and talk to the npc

Zzoram said:
You need to beat Anor Lando and the Wolf boss before doing New Londo Ruins.
Ah ok thanks, I have talked to the mage and he doesn't say anything important, I still haven't completed Anor Lando though, off to that hell hole.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I imagine I'm late to the party on this, but I just realized
that you can see the giant tree in Blighttown that the Great Hollow is inside from Firelink Shrine
and it blew my mind a bit.

Ken

MrGame&Watch said:
Just got this game with gamefly. Itssss hard. I'm a pyromancer. What stats should I be boosting? And any other advice?
VIT, END, and Attunement (more spell slots) probably. Edit: STR like Toasty says so you can use the Drake Sword effectively. Don't bother leveling attunement until you rescue the Pyromancer trainer.

Where is the Iaito sword? I bought the Washing Pole and Uchi from the merchant but should I bother looking for the Iaito?

MrGame&Watch said:
Just got this game with gamefly. Itssss hard. I'm a pyromancer. What stats should I be boosting? And any other advice?
I started a couple of hours ago as a pyro too. Pump points into END/VIT as well as your STR and DEX. Pretend you're a warrior class at least initially. You're going to be using a lot of melee

One thing I've quickly come to understand is you don't want to be holding onto to many souls. Spend them regularly.

redhot_

Ken said:
VIT, END, and Attunement (more spell slots) probably. Edit: STR like Toasty says so you can use the Drake Sword effectively. Don't bother leveling attunement until you rescue the Pyromancer trainer.

Where is the Iaito sword? I bought the Washing Pole and Uchi from the merchant but should I bother looking for the Iaito?

its in blighttown.. use The Depths entrance. you gotta jump to it... cant miss it.

sonicmj1

dekjo said:

I had been trying to do it co-op for a while, but finding others was inconsistent. Came close on a few co-op tries (3 people makes things much, much easier), but kept screwing up in dumb ways. So I said fuck it, and just kept trying it solo.

About four or five tries later, me, my Eagle SHield, and my +4 Furysword had taken down the bosses solo at SL 54. It's surprising how much you can block in that fight if you choose to. As long as you're patient in both phases and wait for your openings, it's very doable.

Speevy

Banned
They ought to add a stat called "Size" to the next game if there is one.

Like your hits do more damage and you grow larger, but you start lumbering about and other characters can roll around you.

I'd love to see some giant player invasions.

maomaoIYP

Ken said:

The Iaito is in Blighttown. Start from the depths, progress until you reach the first shaky bridge. To the left of the shaky bridge, you will see an item on a platform that requires a running jump from where you are.

The Iaito starts with 2 points less damage than the Uchigatana, but the heavy attack is a more useful horizontal swipe. I use both the Iaito and the Uchi, one is Fire + 10, the other is a Lightning + 5. If you can use the washing pole effectively, and plan on making it elemental with no stat boost, there's no real reason to use the Uchi.

Ken

maomaoIYP said:
The Iaito is in Blighttown. Start from the depths, progress until you reach the first shaky bridge. To the left of the shaky bridge, you will see an item on a platform that requires a running jump from where you are.

The Iaito starts with 2 points less damage than the Uchigatana, but the heavy attack is a more useful horizontal swipe. I use both the Iaito and the Uchi, one is Fire + 10, the other is a Lightning + 5. If you can use the washing pole effectively, and plan on making it elemental with no stat boost, there's no real reason to use the Uchi.
What about the Washing Pole compared to the Iaito?

Kyoufu

Wallachia said:
Pissed tonight. Haven't been summoned once tonight after 30 tries. Is this normal for anyone else?

Yup. I'm not doing NG+ until the patch since I actually want to team up with others.

Ken said:
What about the Washing Pole compared to the Iaito?
If you got the 20K to afford it, Washing pole has Stats modifier STR D and DEX D, if you are exclusively using Lightning Washing Pole, it is much better than Lightning Iaito +5.

But if +15, might be better sticking with Iaito if Pure Dex Build.

Only problem is the relatively low durability. 60 vs 80 with Washing Pole and Iaito repectively.

Wallachia said:
Pissed tonight. Haven't been summoned once tonight after 30 tries. Is this normal for anyone else?

I've been getting at least one summon every 10 minutes or so in Anor Lando, but everyone sucks so much that they end up either

a. falling off the rafters in the church
b. fuck around and get mauled by a mimic
c. get molested by the boss

I've had 12 summons and only beat the boss once. ugh.

Grinchy

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Duel wielding Jagged ghost blades is the dopest thing ever.
That sounds pretty bad ass. I'm currently using painting guardian sword in left hand and bandit's knife in right hand. Staring to really like dual wielding.

Ken

Cloudius12 said:
If you got the 20K to afford it, Washing pole has Stats modifier STR D and DEX D, if you are exclusively using Lightning Washing Pole, it is much better than Lightning Iaito +5.

But if +15, might be better sticking with Iaito if Pure Dex Build.

Only problem is the relatively low durability. 60 vs 80 with Washing Pole and Iaito repectively.
How useful is lightning after Anor Londo? I'm using a lightning spear +3 at the moment but I'm kind of wanting something stronger, especially against bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom