• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMufasa

Fuck the skeleton boss and all his little minions. Looks like i'm going to need to summon a few people, atleast as distractions.

Man, this game never ends. I keep thinking this is it but there's I keep on discovering new locations.

54-46!

maomaoIYP said:
Increases to damage by stat bonuses currently plateau off at roughly stat = 40.
The number of soul levels required to pump the pure damage output so that it would be equivalent to a lightning + 5 would be.... ridiculous. Currently it's better to use all those souls on some other stat like VIT or END and just make a lightning or fire weapon which deals higher damage which also is not purely physical damage.
Ah, thanks - Lightning it is then.

Hmm, seems like I can't buy the other katanas unless I buy Absolution and join the Forest Hunter covenant.. how much is that at SL52?

Kyoufu

54-46! said:
Ah, thanks - Lightning it is then.

Hmm, seems like I can't buy the other katanas unless I buy Absolution and join the Forest Hunter covenant.. how much is that at SL52?

104k. It's 2000 x SL

Barrett2

So, the ring of light
atop Sen's Fortress is the entrance to Anor Londo? When im' ready to go there, I just come back here?

KAOz

Short bus special
lawblob said:
So, the ring of light
atop Sen's Fortress is the entrance to Anor Londo? When im' ready to go there, I just come back here?

Indeed. You can also go back from there if you feel for it.

Did you unlock the shortcut in Sen's aswell? Makes going there so much easier.

Barrett2

KAOz said:

That's what I was about to ask. Haven't seen the shortcut yet. Im' assuming its near the roof?

Kyoufu

Kworn said:
I have been through darkroot garden and I have never found enemies dropping 2000+ souls

You need the crest that costs 20k from the blacksmith. Then open the door with it, rest at bonfire, then you'll see humanoids that will give 1-2k souls each.

lawblob said:
That's what I was about to ask. Haven't seen the shortcut yet. Im' assuming its near the roof?

Below the merchant you'll find the cage key. Then you can go in the cages to go up and down the fortress.

Kworn

Banned
Kworn said:
I have been through darkroot garden and I have never found enemies dropping 2000+ souls

So where is this door by where you join the forest covenent?

Sorry for all the questions, would like to level up souls for weapons etc

Thanks

EGM92

KAOz said:

There's a shortcut to the rings? Does it involve the cages?

Also I'm reaching a lot of mist gates that are glowing orange but it says I have to defeat the Great Lord to enter, who is this great lord and where can I find him? is he in Anor Londo

Edit: Nevermind answered up top

knitoe

Kworn said:
Where there's a bonfire behind breakable wall and door that cost 20K to open, go through the door and you will see some humans. They drop 2K a piece.

Kworn

Banned
I have the soul of the butterfly

Can this be used to make a pretty decent weapon?

If so which one and how do I go about making one

LOZLINK

Can someone tell me why the tree guys are so strong at the part of darkroot garden that you climb the ladder from the hydra fight?

EGM92

Kworn said:

you're not going to be forging the great weapons until much later into the game if you haven't been to the garden just keep it in your inventory

KAOz

Short bus special
EGM92 said:
There's a shortcut to the rings? Does it involve the cages?

Also I'm reaching a lot of mist gates that are glowing orange but it says I have to defeat the Great Lord to enter, who is this great lord and where can I find him? is he in Anor Londo

Edit: Nevermind answered up top

Yes. You need to defeat the boss of Anor Londo, and receive a special item. Then those yellow gates unlock.

M.D

I'm really not sure if I should get this game or not

I really like the general concept - Fantasy world, fighting with melee/magic use, cool looking environments/enemies and just the look of the game

I'm just not sure if the concept of constantly dieing would click with me and won't annoy the hell out of me and I'll just rage quit the game and never touch it again

Kyoufu

LOZLINK said:
Can someone tell me why the tree guys are so strong at the part of darkroot garden that you climb the ladder from the hydra fight?

There are standard trees and there are stronger versions.

Kworn

Banned
EGM92 said:
you're not going to be forging the great weapons until much later into the game if you haven't been to the garden just keep it in your inventory

I'm just thinking of using it for souls for this 20,000+ door I need to open

LOZLINK

Kyoufu said:
There are standard trees and there are stronger versions.
So should I avoid that spot, I'm down 12k souls at Level 23, and need to run my ass back there. 1 vs 1 i can take them out in like 2 heavys, but when they gang up is when they're dangerous. Where does that area lead to anyways? Doesn't seem like it connects to the other part of darkroot garden does it?

Kyoufu

LOZLINK said:
So should I avoid that spot, I'm down 12k souls at Level 23, and need to run my ass back there. 1 vs 1 i can take them out in like 2 heavys, but when they gang up is when they're dangerous. Where does that area lead to anyways? Doesn't seem like it connects to the other part of darkroot garden does it?

I wouldn't worry about 12k souls, you can get that in minutes if you send the humanoids to their deaths at the bonfire (assuming you opened the door with the 20k crest).

You can advance to the boss if you go through the forest covenant place, which is directly north of the bonfire, but you'll encounter some difficult enemies on the way.

LOZLINK

Kyoufu said:
I wouldn't worry about 12k souls, you can get that in minutes if you send the humanoids to their deaths at the bonfire (assuming you opened the door with the 20k crest).

You can advance to the boss if you go through the forest covenant place, which is directly north of the bonfire, but you'll encounter some difficult enemies on the way.
That's what the 12k souls are for, I'm farming for the crest atm. Not to mention I need 46k as I need absolution to get the pyro guy at the depths to forgive me.

Kyoufu

LOZLINK said:
That's what the 12k souls are for, I'm farming for the crest atm. Not to mention I need 46k as I need absolution to get the pyro guy at the depths to forgive me.

Go grab your souls and run the hell away. That part of the forest will not be a good area to hang around with the nearly invisible humanoids and all the trees.

Grab souls and go back down the ladder to hydra lol. Also, assuming you've done hydra, there is a Golem to kill if you go deeper into that cave-ish area, just hug the left of the water and you'll eventually see it.

LOZLINK

Kyoufu said:
Go grab your souls and run the hell away. That part of the forest will not be a good area to hang around with the nearly invisible humanoids and all the trees.

Grab souls and go back down the ladder to hydra lol. Also, assuming you've done hydra, there is a Golem to kill if you go deeper into that cave-ish area, just hug the left of the water and you'll eventually see it.
Took him out already, only 1500 souls. It's hard to run away from those tree things due to the fact that they have a long reach. God damn it. Not to mention my souls are pretty far in that part. Are the invisble humanoids the ones that look like phantoms? I thought i was just being invaded when I was killed by one of them

Finalow

LOZLINK said:
Took him out already, only 1500 souls. It's hard to run away from those tree things due to the fact that they have a long reach. God damn it. Not to mention my souls are pretty far in that part. Are the invisble humanoids the ones that look like phantoms? I thought i was just being invaded when I was killed by one of them
well those tree things are not so strong, just fight with one at time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kworn said:
So where is this door by where you join the forest covenent?

Sorry for all the questions, would like to level up souls for weapons etc

Thanks

I think you can get in there from darkroot basin, ladder next to the waterfall? But not for farming, as you need to open the door to the nearby bonfire for convenience

think I might clear out Darkroot gardens before going into Sens, maybe catacombs too

froliq

Kworn said:

Get the shield which has a nice effect when you use L2/LT. It's a ranged attack that does twice the damage of the weapon in your right hand. It's not good for any actual blocking though. It upgrades from a +10 shield and you have to do it at the blacksmith in Anor Londo. So if you just got the soul, then you'll most likely have a long way to go before you meet him.

F!ReW!Re

froliq said:
Get the shield which has a nice effect when you use L2/LT. It's a ranged attack that does twice the damage of the weapon in your right hand. It's not good for any actual blocking though. It upgrades from a +10 shield and you have to do it at the blacksmith in Anor Londo. So if you just got the soul, then you'll most likely have a long way to go before you meet him.

So upgrading a +10 spider shield to that crystal butterfly shield would be a good thing? I mean durability and your resistances go down, just for that attack move?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
froliq said:

do you keep the stats of the 'host' shield? Or just get used to pressing left to switch shields if you need to block?

Barrett2

Wandering around early part of Anor Londo, carrying 55K Souls.

Heading back to buy some poison arrows. I need to find a good weapon to upgrade. I have so many shards and slabs, im' sick of this Drake Sword.

F!ReW!Re said:
So upgrading a +10 spider shield to that crystal butterfly shield would be a good thing? I mean durability and your resistances go down, just for that attack move?

Yes. That shield and that attack is crazy powerful from what I've heard.

Risible

Infernodash said:
So...
Anor Londo
turns out to be a piece of shit. I mean
how many times can I do the same thing over and over to get killed by the fucking archers as soon as I get to the top of where the archer is?

This shit is just ridiculous,
because I don't use arrows I have to suffer? I go up top wait at the walkway block the bow, advance, and the pussy doesnt pull out his sword as I advance he shoots another fucking shot that proceeds to knock me off the narrow walkway. NARROW WALKWAYS ARE LAME! Even Blighttown was better than this shit. I'm so in the mood to break this game in half right now.

I have never used the arrow trick, and I've played through that part at least a half dozen times now, and died maybe twice there.

You're safe to the mid point by sprinting. The hard point is from the midpoint forward, of course. Sprint to the top, go right. Roll as soon as you make the turn. Sometimes the dude hits you from behind, sometimes not. At that point of the game you should be able to take the hit. Get up holding your shield at the ready and bumrush the knight that's in front of you. Hopefully he will fall off...if not battle him while clinging to the wall so as to cut off the shot from the other knight.

Like I said, I've died maybe once or two using this method out of at least 6 tries.

orion434

lawblob said:
Wandering around early part of Anor Londo, carrying 55K Souls.

Heading back to buy some poison arrows. I need to find a good weapon to upgrade. I have so many shards and slabs, im' sick of this Drake Sword.

If you have the Lightning Spear, upgrade that to +5. Then once you find the Giant Blacksmith, make Quelaag's Fury, such an awesome weapon. Just make sure you have a curved blade +10 before you get there. Only the Blacksmith in the Parish can raise weapons to +10, you don't want to go back through Sen's Fortress.

rayner said:
If you have the Lightning Spear, upgrade that to +5. Then once you find the Giant Blacksmith, make Quelaag's Fury, such an awesome weapon. Just make sure you have a curved blade +10 before you get there. Only the Blacksmith in the Parish can raise weapons to +10, you don't want to go back through Sen's Fortress.
Once you activate the cage shortcut at the top of Sen's Fortress it really isn't an issue to pass through it.

K' Dash

Meisadragon said:
I was on Soul level 60 when I killed him. He died pretty fast. :( Just go to Darkroot garden and grind a bit, also get the Elite Knight Set which you can find near the bonfire there.

Dude you went there WAY overleveled, I killed him at SL20 with some help, the best advice to someone having trouble with Capra is to summon help, I'm in Anor Londo and haven't even reached 60.

I finally reached and completed Lost Izalith last night. It was frustrating at the beginning but by the time I finished it I actually kind of enjoyed it. I really liked the hallways under the area
where the floor falls out. It really made me jump.

The boss was kind of... weird, though.

Barrett2

rayner said:

Haven't found it yet. Is it near the lower part of Sen's Fortress?

I have a Crystal Halberd. Is that good to upgrade? If so, where do I upgrade it?

who thought it would be a good idea to give ornstein attacks that go through smough? fuck them.

i think it took me almost 2 hours to beat them in NG+ with ornstein last, what a fucking pain. i needed his soul.

also where did solaire go? i know i've skipped the depths, but none of the guides told me it was necessary. now he didn't show up at anor bonfire, great!

lawblob said:
Haven't found it yet. Is it near the lower part of Sen's Fortress?

I have a Crystal Halberd. Is that good to upgrade? If so, where do I upgrade it?
Crystal weapons are very strong but you can't repair them so I wouldn't spend any resources on upgrading it. The Lightning Spear is found in a chest that you really can't miss, right before you take an elevator up.

Just make sure to give that chest a good whack first...

Can you use a bow and arrow to break those stupid orbs at Bed of Chaos? Jumping can be so finicky in this game that I've died 10x in a row trying to jump over to the orb on the right now.

If jumping was easier in this game I wouldn't mind a platformy element to a boss fight - the idea is actually kinda neat, but its rather annoying when as it stands.

rogerroger22 said:
Can you use a bow and arrow to break those stupid orbs at Bed of Chaos? Jumping can be so finicky in this game that I've died 10x in a row trying to jump over to the orb on the right now.

If jumping was easier in this game I wouldn't mind a platformy element to a boss fight - the idea is actually kinda neat, but its rather annoying when as it stands.
Weird, I didn't have to jump at all to reach either one... did the floor break in front of them or something?

Im_Special

F!ReW!Re said:
Personally I wouldn't use the spider shield, its unique and has its uses like when you need to block poison and toxic, just buy some shitty shield of a vendor upgrade it to 10 and use that.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Weird, I didn't have to jump at all to reach either one... did the floor break in front of them or something?

I didn't realize what was going on during the first attempt- a summon broke the one on the left without me realizing, I was attacking the one on the right but wasn't seeing the HP bar go down (didn't realize it wasn't supposed to) and figured I'd go see what my summon was up to - then got knocked down to my death.

Now when I enter the area, the floor is broken.

Barrett2

Got the Lightning Spear! But of course, I forgot to poke the chest and the fucker ate me and my 50K Souls. Fortunately I made it back.

To upgrade Lightning Spear do I need to find blacksmith in Anor Londo?

orion434

test_account said:
How do you tell what stats you need to upgrade if you get a message that you cant use something properly?

When you go to Equip a weapon there will be an option to Toggle stats, on the X360 it's the X butoon. There it will show what required stat is too low, it will be highlighted in red. Then check your stats and see how much you are off from the requirement.

Darklord

Banned
Why is leather armour I found better than a lot of my heavier armour? Is it because of my class(pyromancer) or just that it's just good leather armour?

orion434

lawblob said:
Got the Lightning Spear! But of course, I forgot to poke the chest and the fucker ate me and my 50K Souls. Fortunately I made it back.

To upgrade Lightning Spear do I need to find blacksmith in Anor Londo?

Nice! Yeah the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo can upgrade Lightning Weapons by default... no Embers required. If you have Poison Arrows some of the enemies in the area can be cheesed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom