• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been holding off on leveling up in order to upgrade my weapons faster, was this a stupid move? I don't seem to be having particular trouble so far.

Ken said:
How useful is lightning after Anor Londo? I'm using a lightning spear +3 at the moment but I'm kind of wanting something stronger, especially against bosses.
+5 Lightning Spear will last you til end game. Although those bosses have more HP so it is like you are going to get a weapon anytime soon and owned these bosses. If you like that spear, by all means upgraded it, but if you are look for a Katana based weapon, those katana you are want to look at are not bad either. Remember that in order to upgrade a Lightning weapon to +5, you need Titanite Slab which is pretty rare so the choice is up to you.

redhot_

FataIChoice said:
I have been holding off on leveling up in order to upgrade my weapons faster, was this a stupid move? I don't seem to be having particular trouble so far.

Nah. everything happens eventually.

Booshka

Got the
Moonlight Greatsword off of Seath
, you really need to hit the very tip of his tail to get it to cut off. The biggest issue is hitting the tip because the fucking tail clips through the wall so you can only hit the biggest part of it. Slumbering Dragoncrest ring is the way to go though, a lot easier to focus on the tail when he can't track you well.

maomaoIYP

Ken said:
What about the Washing Pole compared to the Iaito?

Washing Pole requires 20 STR, 14 DEX, D boost to both. 60 durability. 90 damage.
Iaito requires 16 STR, 20 DEX, B boost to DEX, 80 durability. 88 damage.

From experience durability is no real issue, so it's really just a matter of which sword your stats will let you carry.

Currently lightning + 5 or fire + 10 is pretty much the least hassle free, most powerful weapon you can get. Once I got my lightning + 5 iaito, the only other weapon I use was my fire + 10 uchi, simply because certain enemies have different resistances to different elements.

54-46! said:
I was thinkin about making my Iato (normal) +15, am I better off putting Lightning on it? Melee/DEX character.
Increases to damage by stat bonuses currently plateau off at roughly stat = 40.
The number of soul levels required to pump the pure damage output so that it would be equivalent to a lightning + 5 would be.... ridiculous. Currently it's better to use all those souls on some other stat like VIT or END and just make a lightning or fire weapon which deals higher damage which also is not purely physical damage.

Grinchy said:
That sounds pretty bad ass. I'm currently using painting guardian sword in left hand and bandit's knife in right hand. Staring to really like dual wielding.
When you duel wield them you get some pretty cool unique animations.

Hawkian said:
What. must have. Where and how can I acquire these things?

dropped by ghosts in new londo

If anyone dont know about this, please keep in mind when you summon help, if you drink a estus flask it also heals friendly panthoms. Tried to help somebody to kill
gravelord nito
, and it left me like with 1% of HP, and the guy just kept using heal spells :( remember that phantoms cant use flasks.

Kyoufu

sotodefonk said:

If anyone dont know about this, please keep in mind when you summon help, if you drink a estus flask it also heals friendly panthoms. Tried to help somebody to kill
gravelord nito
, and it left me like with 1% of HP, and the guy just kept using heal spells :( remember that phantoms cant use flasks.

But phantoms can use Humanity!

Kyoufu said:

oh fuck you are right... I completely forgot about the great Hp recover of humanity... I always use them at bonfires... maybe thats why. Although 1 little flask to help your summons... I always do it :(

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Kyoufu said:

Like hell I'm going to use my Humanity to help somebody else kill a boss. If Hosty McSkinflint doesn't want to use a single easily replenishable swig of a flask to heal his phantoms he can solo the boss for all I care. Stingy bastard's gonna need all those Heal miracles when he's all alone and outnumbered.

Wallachia

ixix said:
Like hell I'm going to use my Humanity to help somebody else kill a boss. If Hosty McSkinflint doesn't want to use a single easily replenishable swig of a flask to heal his phantoms he can solo the boss for all I care. Stingy bastard's gonna need all those Heal miracles when he's all alone and outnumbered.

Alone and outnumbered, like me.. fucking no summons tonight. Fix this shit From! But yeah, good point about hosts and flasks.

Grinchy

Banned
ixix said:
lol yeah that's the first thing I thought too

lilltias

Ah, CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

I accidently the
blacksmith in the catacombs
:(((((

I didn't even speak to him :( Is he important? What can he sell/give/fix to me? Played for about 25h and I don't want to start over.

Ugh :(

Pumpkins

lilltias said:
Ah, CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

I accidently the

I didn't even speak to him :( Is he important? What can he sell/give/fix to me? Played for about 25h and I don't want to start over.

I think he's
basically the one to go to for upgrading to fire and chaos weapons.

sotodefonk said:

gravelord nito
Good to know, I always wondered why the people that I summoned to help never healed themselves.

gilljoy

Damn capra demon,

Keeps killing me, getting one shot as soon as I walk in :(

Think i need to get myself some armour.

Also is it worth starting to farm atm? I'm SL21

shaneskim

KoreanBarbecue said:
Ugh. I'm trying my best to get every achievement in this game and it's driving me up the wall. Story achievements are a breeze - I've got most of them. But the weapon upgrade achievements...blah. Having to farm super rare materials for hours and having materials that can conceivably one be had at one or two per playthrough is just ridiculous. Just thought I would rant a bit. I love this game to death, but this grinding is killing me.
In demons you could get the weapons trophies by holding one dropped by a blue (i.e. white) phantom. Will just take a bit of arranging but should work in this game?

gilljoy said:
Damn capra demon,

Same problem, instead I killed the Moonlight Butterfly first and Havel. SL22
Will upgrade my Uchigana and come back to the bastard later.

gilljoy said:
Damn capra demon,

Go running towards him and roll to evade the first attack. Take care of the dogs first and then concentrate on its easy attack pattern. Id farm a little if I were you.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
lilltias said:
Ah, CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

I accidently the

He does
Fire and Chaos upgrades. If you're going to piss off a blacksmith, he's the one. Lightning is a better non-scaling upgrade path than fire, and he's also the least readily accessible blacksmith in the game. Don't worry about it. Just be more careful with the other smiths and you won't even notice he's gone.

Jadedx said:
I finally got into anor londo, I'm level 72 and everything is killing me. How the hell do I kill those two bosses?

speaking of Anor Londo how do you reach the chest on the left wing inside the cathedral with the knives-throwing guys? I can't seem to find a way.

lilltias

ixix said:
He does
Fire and Chaos upgrades. If you're going to piss off a blacksmith, he's the one. Lightning is a better non-scaling upgrade path than fire, and he's also the least readily accessible blacksmith in the game. Don't worry about it. Just be more careful with the other smiths and you won't even notice he's gone.

Thank god for that. That's not something I was planning to pursue anyway :)

Cheers mate!

Produce

Finally beat Gwyn today. Take that fireball you flaming prick!

Straight into NG+, dead easy as a pyromancer with maximum upgraded flame.

patsu

gilljoy said:
Damn capra demon,

It's the armor and shield.

Get an armor with good poise and a shield with high stability. My wanderer set has poise = 0, so I kept getting interrupted by the dogs and the demon. With the Elite Knight set, I finished them off in one try because they couldn't stagger me or disrupt my swing.

Facism

sara_is_anxious said:
speaking of Anor Londo how do you reach the chest on the left wing inside the cathedral with the knives-throwing guys? I can't seem to find a way.

Easy, provided you've just come down the ladder from the rafters, you go down the steps until you see the pillars next to the statue at the back of the hall. You can roll out across to the base of the statue and cross over.

---

Took on Capra Demon in NG+. Cast Iron Flesh before going into the fog. 2 Crystal Homing Soulmasses later and that fucker is deeeeeaad.

KAOz

Short bus special
shaneskim said:
In demons you could get the weapons trophies by holding one dropped by a blue (i.e. white) phantom. Will just take a bit of arranging but should work in this game?

Doubt it. As the trophies do state "Get best *insert type* weapon by reinforcement". Basically, it won't count if you don't reinforce it yourself.

shaneskim

gilljoy said:
Damn capra demon,

I was in the same position. SL21 and getting one shotted. Dont worry about armour or levelling as this is all tactics.

As soon as you enter, run forwards then roll to his left (your right) to avoid his swing then run up the stairs. This is the bit I kept messing up on.

The dogs will follow you but you should be able to one shot them with a +5 or drake sword.

Stand on the archway, use estus if required. With any luck, Capra will walk below you and you can drop off with a lunging attack (took off half of his health) then just do the standard evade and hit tactics (avoiding his double overhead move completely - the rest can be rolled or blocked). Recover by running up the stairs and using estus - it'll take a little time for him to follow.

If you are on PS3 then PM me ur PSN ID and I'll help you as I'm still SL21

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
gilljoy said:
Damn capra demon,

I was on Soul level 60 when I killed him. He died pretty fast. :( Just go to Darkroot garden and grind a bit, also get the Elite Knight Set which you can find near the bonfire there.

shaneskim

KAOz said:
Doubt it. As the trophies do state "Get best *insert type* weapon by reinforcement". Basically, it won't count if you don't reinforce it yourself.

Boo. Had some awesome help from Gaf on Demons the last go round

Grinchy

Banned
I was going to upgrade some armor earlier, so off to the forest I went. I didn't realize I was in human form and got invaded. The guy tried spamming magic but didn't seem to realize how easy it was to dodge. I approached him, and he pulled out some big sword. Parry+riposte, ~80% of his health gone. He starts running backwards, probably hoping to pull some more enemies onto me. I get close and he stupidly rolls. Backstab, you're dead.

I've only been invaded a few times now, but that one felt good.

Facism said:
Easy, provided you've just come down the ladder from the rafters, you go down the steps until you see the pillars next to the statue at the back of the hall. You can roll out across to the base of the statue and cross over.

oh cool thx

Zzoram

Most people in co-op don't know that using their flask heals their phantom allies. The game should tell you that, it would make for a better online experience.

Loving the Black Knight greataxe. im in the forest covenant, and now i dont feel the need to TWOP to dodge the insane damage people were doing to me while I barely did anything to them. Same with the fog ring, I dont feel i need it.

I still use TWOP though, because some people can get irritating by rolling away with HAVEL armor at top speed.

Love the strong attack, which sends em flying Smough-like.

bunbun777

I am currently 82 and wanting to summon someone before Quelaag-- I just killed
Maneater Mil
but did not loot corpse (and died) so now her summoning sign is not showing up. Anyone wanna come help kill this boss? I am right in front of her lair/gate.

Yo Gotti

Banned
bunbun777 said:
I am currently 82 and wanting to summon someone before Quelaag-- I just killed
Maneater Mil
but did not loot corpse (and died) so now her summoning sign is not showing up. Anyone wanna come help kill this boss? I am right in front of her lair/gate.

Are you NG+?

Eliciel

I won't be able to play this till christmas...too much work to do. That sucks. I keep reading the thread and always try to avoid the spoilers. I'm doing fine ;)

have fun everyone who's playing the game :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom