• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Universaldamps said:
Just lost 19 humanity. Le sigh :-(
Sigh? More like RAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Zzoram said:
Wrong. You can only find/buy 9 Eyes of Death per NG.

You can supposedly farm them from the curse frogs, but I've killed over 50 and never seen them drop anything.
Are you farming in the Depths or the Great Hollow. Drops were pretty slow for me even with the gold serpent's ring on but I at least got them more frequently than every 50 kills. And I think there might be something where the frogs don't drop them if you have 10 in your inventory.

Zzoram

electroshockwave said:
Are you farming in the Depths or the Great Hollow. Drops were pretty slow for me even with the gold serpent's ring on but I at least got them more frequently than every 50 kills. And I think there might be something where the frogs don't drop them if you have 10 in your inventory.

I have 6 in my inventory, but I wasn't specifically farming the frogs with the serpent ring, it was just from normally traversing back and forth through frog areas. I also didn't have humanity on me.

Guevara

WTF are those levers outside in Anor Londo? When you try to interact with them they say "the contraption does not move" or something.

knitoe

Guevara said:
WTF are those levers outside in Anor Londo? When you try to interact with them they say "the contraption does not move" or something.
It rotates the middle round platform. It's already on your level so you get that message.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Guevara said:

They bring the center spinning platform and staircase back to your level. If it's already there it says it doesn't move.

maomaoIYP

Anyone managed to get the Channeler's Trident from farming Channelers? I farmed the archives till I fell asleep and nearly lost 100K. The drop rate is piss poor compared to the Titanite Demon's rod.

2AdEPT

Ok it is obvious to me that the INT does NOT help pyromancy....but my own early tests like when I first got the glove, didn't improve the pyromancy damage when I used the dragon crest ring. Most on here syaing it helps? ANyone that beleives the dragoncrest does not help at all becuase it did not appear to help me at all, where it helped a tonne for the soul arrows.

Dresden

2AdEPT said:
Ok it is obvious to me that the INT does NOT help pyromancy....but my own early tests like when I first got the glove, didn't improve the pyromancy damage when I used the dragon crest ring. Most on here syaing it helps? ANyone that beleives the dragoncrest does not help at all becuase it did not appear to help me at all, where it helped a tonne for the soul arrows.
I've tested it out, the damage increase is definitely there with the dragoncrest ring. You sure you're using the damage boosting one instead of the duration boosting ring?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Universaldamps said:
It would have been more like that if I hadn't discovered the awesome farming spot in Tomb of the Giants. You can rack them up pretty quickly there :D
Ohh... the babies?

Jonsoncao

Banned
toasty_T said:
Got my first level up with my Pyro. Where should I be putting my points for now and going forward?
Really depends on the weapon you wanna use later and type of pvp builds you wanna be, go for VIT/END/DEX/STR first I suggest.

scy

Dresden said:
I've tested it out, the damage increase is definitely there with the dragoncrest ring. You sure you're using the damage boosting one instead of the duration boosting ring?

Which, on that note, the duration one works too.

Dresden said:

I can test this later on when I boot up and go back to duke's archives for large magic ember.

Question:
If I start a weapon upgrade, so long as it's past the acension stage, I don't really need to worry about finding the embers in NG+, right?

That is, if I have a chaos straight sword, or a magic falchion +6, I won't need their respective embers in NG+ to finish the weapon upgrade trees, right?

2AdEPT

Dresden said:
My test was done at a low level, like 15 maybe, definitely with dragon crest for magic power boost as I just got the other one at level 50.

1.) sit at fire at Firelink - no ring, kill first hollow up the path to Burg. Shoot pyro - 200 or so damage. dead in one shot.
2.) go back try again, same damage this time with ring.
3,) same for magic

The difference was 50 points...like 130 vs. 180 with magic, no diff for pyro...hadn't upgraded glove yet. NOt sure what to think?

Beats

NervousXtian said:
It was a gimmick level, so was Crystal.. and Lost had a gimmick boss. They weren't well designed overall, definitely not on the same level as undead Berg/Parish, Sen's, Anor Londo, or fuck even Blightown.

Think of it this way, how cool was it when you got to the Red Dragon, then found the ladder to drop to that bonfire in Undead? It was awesome. How awesome was the elevator in the Parish back to Firelink? How bout the back way from the Depths up to Berg to Firelink? Well, fuck all that in the last levels.. they lost all that magic feeling.

Hell, remember the 1st time you went to Valley of the Drakes.. and you're like.. can't wait to come back here and explore.. and then you find out.. it's pretty much a non-area? That sums up the last 3rd of the game.

I still loved it, but I wish they kept that same level of design they put into the 1st 1/2 of the game.

Yeah, there definitely was a quality drop in the level design in the later levels but I wouldn't consider them to be garbage, or annoying really. (Lost Izalith could be close to that, but I didn't think it was that bad). There was some exploration to be had in Tomb of the Giants, and you could see
Ash Lake trees
at one point inside it which made me realize how deep inside you actually were. But yeah, they definitely lacked the same sort of connectivity/exploration we got with the earlier levels.

Yoshichan said:
Ohh... the babies?

The Piscasa at the bottom of the jail in Duke's Archives are also (B) drop rate for humanity -- I get 2-3 on most trips down the stairs. It's not as fast as the tiny skeletons in TotG, but it works well enough and has a better soul yield since they're 300 or 600 per kill and die in one normal pyro fireball.

Guevara said:
please don't patch this out, From!

Why would they patch it? It's not a glitch... :\

scy

corrosivefrost said:
Question:
If I start a weapon upgrade, so long as it's past the acension stage, I don't really need to worry about finding the embers in NG+, right?

That is, if I have a chaos straight sword, or a magic falchion +6, I won't need their respective embers in NG+ to finish the weapon upgrade trees, right?

You only need the Ember for the ascension step, as far as I know.

Varna

I really do hope the stat rebalance is pretty huge in the upcoming patch. I'm looking through the book of the guilty and most of these guys are rolling with minimal damage scaling stats. Lightning weapons make them pretty much useless and even with the lowest faith/int available at character creation you can get an extra 100 damage just for using a magic weapon. This is not right.

So if I somehow "betrayed" the Forest Hunter Covenant (some dumbass walked off a cliff I think), is there any negative impact on my game aside from simply no longer being in the covenant? I don't want to have to pay such a huge amount to get absolved...

Kalnos

Banned
ConcealedBlaze said:
So if I somehow "betrayed" the Forest Hunter Covenant (some dumbass walked off a cliff I think), is there any negative impact on my game aside from simply no longer being in the covenant? I don't want to have to pay such a huge amount to get absolved...

Nope and yeah the NPC can fall off the cliff, it's dumb.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I didn't like the Tomb of the Giants level, but maybe because it kicked my ass so hard. :p

Can't complain about it though, because that was the missing tomb we begged From Software to give us in Demon's Souls ;)

maomaoIYP

Varna said:
I really do hope the stat rebalance is pretty huge in the upcoming patch. I'm looking through the book of the guilty and most of these guys are rolling with minimal damage scaling stats. Lightning weapons make them pretty much useless and even with the lowest faith/int available at character creation you can get an extra 100 damage just for using a magic weapon. This is not right.

Yup. My first character was going for all out Dex. And then I made a lightning weapon and all those points into dex became absolutely useless. Unless I take out my bow and use that. Which is like once in a blue moon.

I was comparing my Black Bow of Pharis +14 and my Longbow +14 last night. Black Bow has S for dex scaling, but starts off a few base damage points less than the longbow which is A for dex. The longbow beats it still.

ConcealedBlaze said:

You won't be able to buy from Shiva or kill him and his bodyguard to get their drops.
You won't be able to get a ring of fog unless you trade the right item to snuggly the crow.
That's it, at least off the top of my head.

--

Initial acclimation to Tomb of Giants and Crystal Caves both sucks. The only really horrible thing about Crystal Caves is getting the blue slab... fuck me, that was making me rage. That and Seath's tail. Luckily next time, I only need to worry about the slab. :D

Eusis

brandonh83 said:
I put this down to play Arkham City but while playing that I just want to come back to this.
Maybe it's a good thing for me it's not out until next month on PC.

On the other hand, coming just in time for me to either be finished or burned out on a game that's been out two weeks > sandwiched between Skyrim and Zelda. It'd be worse too if anything else out there was something I wanted right away rather than either ignoring or willing to wait awhile on.

Guevara

does anyone have that useful detailed post about the upgrading process handy? It was from like 5 hours ago but I can't find it anymore.

Edit: not the chart, the text someone wrote up here earlier.

1stStrike

Banned
Eusis said:
Maybe it's a good thing for me it's not out until next month on PC.

On the other hand, coming just in time for me to either be finished or burned out on a game that's been out two weeks > sandwiched between Skyrim and Zelda.

With as many issues as they've had with blank codes, DLC not working, DVD's instead of blu-rays, etc. with that game - it's probably a good thing to wait.

Zzoram

Guevara said:
does anyone have that useful detailed post about the upgrading process handy? It was from like 5 hours ago but I can't find it anymore.

Edit: not the chart, the text someone wrote up here earlier.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades

All Blacksmiths give the option to downgrade back to Normal +5 or , if from an elemental state, back to it's Normal state.

Weaponsmith & Armorsmith boxes: Normal upgrades available at your bonfire. ( Purchase from Andrei)
Note: After your weapon reaches +5/10, select MODIFY EQUIPMENT to proceed to +6/11 or Special +1/5. The weapon will then return to the normal list
Blacksmith Andrei Special: Raw Weapons to +15; Divine Weapons to +10; Occult Weapons to +5
Blacksmith Rickert of Vinheim Special: Magic Weapons to +10; Enchanted Weapons to +5;
Giant Blacksmith Special: Lightning Weapons to +5, Crystal Weapons to +5, Uses Boss souls to create Unique Weapons.
Blacksmith Vamos Special: Fire Weapons to +10; Chaos Weapons to +5

Titanite Shard
Reinforce standard weapons to +5
Merchant: Blacksmith Andrei (800 souls)
Drops from: Undead Soldiers (spear), Undead Soldiers (bow),
and Red Cape Undead Knights (spears/swords)

Large Titanite Shard
Reinforce standard weapons to +10, Raw weapons to +5
Merchants: Crestfallen Merchant Sen's Fortress (4000 souls)
Drop: Slime (The Depths) & Undead Knights of Sen's Fortress rooftops, Steel Knight of Sen's Fortress rooftop, Swamp Larve/Leech at Blighttown

Titanite Chunk
Reinforce standard weapons to +14, Crystal and Lightning weapons to +4
Drop: Crystal Lizard, Black Knight, Dark Wraith soldiers, Sen's Fortress Giant (Bomber and the one through secret door), the furnace of the first day of the Black Knight
Trade: Snuggly with Rubbish

Titanite Slab
Reinforce standard weapons to +15, Crystal and Lightning weapons to +5
Drop: Crystal Lizard, Stray Demon (Northern Undead Asylum on return), Rare Drop Darkwraiths (New Londo Ruins)

Green Titanite Shard
Reinforce Magic, Divine and Fire weapons to +5
Merchants: Crestfallen Merchant Sen's Fortress (5000 souls)
Drop: Slime at The Depths, Swamp Larvae/Leech at Blighttown (5 per kill)

Blue Titanite Chunk
Reinforce Magic weapons to +9, Enchanted weapons to +4
Drop: Crystal Golem, the first furnace of fire Black Knight
Trade: Snuggly with Dried Finger

Blue Titanite Slab
Reinforce Magic weapons to +10, Enchanted weapons to +5
Crystal Cave: Take long invisible path near Crystal Lizard

Red Titanite Chunk
Reinforce Fire weapons to +9, Chaos weapons to +4
Drop: Chaos Izarisu lungs and multi-head turtle, the first furnace of fire Black Knight
Trade: Snuggly with Pyromancy Flame

Red Titanite Slab
Reinforce Fire weapons to +10, Chaos weapons to +5
Izarisu: In chest of sewer area near Den of Chaos

White Titanite Chunk
Reinforce Divine weapons to +9, Occult weapons to +4
Rare drop from Bone Towers. (Tomb of Giants)
Trade a Sunlight Medal with Snuggly.

White Titanite Slab
Reinforce Divine weapons to +10, Occult weapons to +5
Tomb of Giants, looted from a corpse in the skeleton baby area.
Drop: Necromancers in the skeleton baby area drop them rarely.

Twinkling Titanite
Reinforces weapons that cannot normally be reinforced
Drop: Crystal Lizard, Giant Clams
Trade: Snuggly with Purple Moss Clump, Crimson Moss Ball, Blooming Purple Moss Clump

Demon Titanite
Reinforce weapons made with souls to +5
Trade: Snuggly with Prism Stone or Dung Pie, 100% drop from Titanite Demon
can also be farmed from the Titanite Demon in Lost Iizalith

Dragon Scale
Reinforce Dragon weapons
Blighttown bonfire near the treasure chest, etc. Various places in Ash Lake.
Trade: Snuggly with Egg Vermifuge

Large Ember

Located in the Depths, continue down the path until you reach the kitchen.
There you will find the chest which is located along the back wall behind the table.

Divine Ember

After defeating the moonlight butterfly, continue across the bridge and up to the top of the tower. A dead blacksmith is clutching it.

Chaos Flame Ember

After killing Ceaseless Discharge and all the Taurus demons after the lava flows away, you can walk all the way back to where Ceaseless Discharge was standing and roll through the lava to grab the Ember on a corpse.

Enchanted Ember
used to modify or reinforce magic weapons
Located at the heard of the darkwood garden second area where there are mushrooms. It is stored inside a treasure chest guarded by big mushrooms in shallow water. If you attack a small mushroom it will lead you to the big mushrooms.

Very Large Ember
used to modify and reinforce +15 weapons
New Londo Ruins: After lowering the water level, go up the staircase found in a corner of the room with the big slime enemy closest to Valley of Drakes. Ember is on the third floor.

Dark Ember
Ascends +5 divine weapons to occult weapons
This item is found on a stone statue in the painted world of Aremias.

Crystal Ember
Ascends +10 Standard Weapons to Crystal Weapons
Behind bookshelf in Archives in room with stairs leading down to Crystal Caves

Large Magic Ember
Ascends Magic Weapons to +10
After defeating Seath the Scaleless, return to the area where you first comfronted it and open the chest.

Large Divine Ember
Ascends Divine Weapons to +10
Obtained from a dead blacksmith who is among several giant skeletons in Tomb of the Giants.

Large Fire Ember
Ascends Fire Weapons to +10
In the Demon Ruins, after descending the great stairs, taking the left path before walking up to the fog-gate will ultimately lead to the Ember.

Kyoufu

brandonh83 said:
I put this down to play Arkham City but while playing that I just want to come back to this.

Mine arrives in the morning but I still have so much shit to do in this game. Have to farm various titanite stones and then go through NG+, but I think I'm going to hold off on NG+ until patch 1.4.

JRPereira

Holy shit. Had no idea the crystal ring shield was -that- powerful. Wish I had it before tomb of the giants - place would've been a breeze (can more or less 1-shot all of the most troublesome enemies).

I'm kind of considering going back there to farm souls. How easy is it to avoid getting
cursed
with all of the
skeleton babies
running around (
assuming cursebite ring, decent armor
).

Do I care to buy all of
logan's
spells before fighting seath? I'm not going to be able to cast with any sort of proficiency until at least ng+, if even then. I've already bought the basics, but I don't feel like collecting 150,000 souls to finish buying everything when the forest is becoming boring to farm, the pvp is so broken, and I'm overleveled for most areas to be summoned.

(probably going overboard with the spoilers?).

1stStrike

Banned
abstract alien said:
^^^^^^^
Thanks

Why did you have so many stacked up? Does a higher number actually help?

Well, if you're using a chaos weapon then you need at least 10 at all times to get the maximum amount of damage (cause otherwise it sucks at 0 humanity).

Other than that, if you don't die for a while, or are helping people beat bosses and stuff - humanity just tends to pile up.

Eusis

1stStrike said:
With as many issues as they've had with blank codes, DLC not working, DVD's instead of blu-rays, etc. with that game - it's probably a good thing to wait.
Definitely, plus (HOPEFULLY) they avoid that crap on PC. You'll need a key to register and keep it bound to an XBL account, may as well skip cutting Catwoman out.

1stStrike said:
Well, if you're using a chaos weapon then you need at least 10 at all times to get the maximum amount of damage (cause otherwise it sucks at 0 humanity).

Other than that, if you don't die for a while, or are helping people beat bosses and stuff - humanity just tends to pile up.
Just what I needed to know. Thanks.

maomaoIYP said:
Anyone managed to get the Channeler's Trident from farming Channelers? I farmed the archives till I fell asleep and nearly lost 100K. The drop rate is piss poor compared to the Titanite Demon's rod.

i did. took me 30-45 min. i killed two each run.

Kyoufu said:
Mine arrives in the morning but I still have so much shit to do in this game. Have to farm various titanite stones and then go through NG+, but I think I'm going to hold off on NG+ until patch 1.4.

Well I think it could be because I'm truthfully not enjoying Arkham City at all =\

Sorry, definitely not attempting to go off topic. Just finding it amusing that I was at one point trying to get through Dark Souls as fast as I could because of the upcoming releases, but I'm finding that I'm just wanting to go back to DS despite the new stuff hitting.

JRPereira said:
Holy shit. Had no idea the crystal ring shield was -that- powerful. Wish I had it before tomb of the giants - place would've been a breeze (can more or less 1-shot all of the most troublesome enemies).

I'm kind of considering going back there to farm souls. How easy is it to avoid getting
cursed
with all of the
skeleton babies
running around (
assuming cursebite ring, decent armor
).

Do I care to buy all of
logan's
spells before fighting seath? I'm not going to be able to cast with any sort of proficiency until at least ng+, if even then. I've already bought the basics, but I don't feel like collecting 150,000 souls to finish buying everything when the forest is becoming boring to farm, the pvp is so broken, and I'm overleveled for most areas to be summoned.

(probably going overboard with the spoilers?).

#1 It's not hard. Wear the crimson robes and you'll be fine. I made a post about how to farm the hell out of that area.
#2 Yes, you care. If you want all the spells, at least, you need to buy all the spells before fighting seath, I think. But if you do #1, you can amass 100,000 souls in less than 30 minutes (and like 30 humanity).

--

To anwer the question higher up: Carrying humanity on you (up to 30) improves your drop rate.

Zzoram

brandonh83 said:
Well I think it could be because I'm truthfully not enjoying Arkham City at all =\

Is it like Arkham Asylum but more open world? Is it like the transition from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls?

Zzoram said:
Is it like Arkham Asylum but more open world? Is it like the transition from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls?

Again not trying to go off topic but since you asked and I don't want to ignore you-- in one post-- it's like AA, but the more open world makes it feel like I'm playing an Assassin's Creed game instead, and all the missions feel like chores to me and the environments are very sloppy and confusing.

That's not to say the game SUCKS and there have been moments of brilliance, it just hasn't quite blown me away just yet... I'm over halfway through it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom