• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

voady said:
Could we have some update on each one classes + equipment + starting classes

Class
SL
Equip
Stats

Sorcerer

Vit 30
End 40
Att 29 (planning to get to 34 for the 8th spell slot)
Str 10
Dex 12
Res 8
Int 44
Fat 8

ascended pyro flame +5
sorcerer catalyst
Gold-hemmed robes full set armor
the ring that adds 33% dmg to sorcery, the serpent ring to boost drop rate of items
Enchanted Bandit's Knife +2 (planning to +5 for trophy)
Chaos Rapier +3 (planning to +5 for trophy)
Fire Short Bow +5 (planning to +10 for trophy)

Soul Spear, Homing Soul Mass, Iron Skin, Chaos Fireball, Great Fireball, Great Combustion

2AdEPT

SUBZERO-08 said:
Damn, I just downloaded the CE mini-guide, and apparently its an excerpt from the hardcover guide, and looks really nice. To anyone that owns it, is it good? Looks like its pretty packed with information from what I've seen. I might just have to track it down and buy it... Anyone in Canada know where to buy it?
The states at gamestop (gamespot?) is where I got mine...last copy in store in bellingham wa near me in vancouver. You can order on us website but they don't ship outside us.. or get chapters to order...otherwise its amazon like everyone else..but shipping is a pain so thatks why I just hopped the border..cheap gas too!

bunbun777

So I started a INT based sorc and at SL 25 I am in the Basin to get that magic helm. I am not sure if i was getting cursed by an eye of death or what but pretty soon invader shows up and I run. I summon someone at the bottom of the cliffs and like a nightmare the invader just shows up and one shots him lol. So I book it and get ready to blast him with some soul arrows. As I notice somehow none of my magic is actually hurting him when it hits I also notice he is wearing Kirk's Armor, how he got that without being way higher level I do not know. So I ran up and down the cliffs while he mocked me and chased me. I finally bowed to him, took off my armor and turned my back to him. After about 30 seconds of just staring at me he starts to come up behind me and I run away again. Eventually my magic starts to hurt him and before I know it....he falls off a cliff and I score 0 souls and 1 humanity. Go back to the bottom and re summon the same spirit that got one shot, go off and kill the hydra.

maomaoIYP

mrklaw said:
I don't think I've ever parried, seems the risk is pretty high - is it fairly straightforward? Also never backstabbed, but maybe thats not possible with a spear..

Parrying is awesome. As well as backstabbing. You can backstab and riposte with almost anything. Shields in the right hand don't work though. I'm pretty sure neither do catalysts and talismen. You can backstab even with a bow.

Grinchy

Banned
I had no idea you could backstab with a bow, holy shit.

Parrying is really useful when you are in tight spots where you can't get around a mob. Or when you are on a narrow beam. Some enemies telegraph their moves so much that a parry becomes a good choice. Plus, a riposte does more damage than a backstab.

Zzoram

bunbun777 said:
So I started a INT based sorc and at SL 25 I am in the Basin to get that magic helm. I am not sure if i was getting cursed by an eye of death or what but pretty soon invader shows up and I run. I summon someone at the bottom of the cliffs and like a nightmare the invader just shows up and one shots him lol. So I book it and get ready to blast him with some soul arrows. As I notice somehow none of my magic is actually hurting him when it hits I also notice he is wearing Kirk's Armor, how he got that without being way higher level I do not know. So I ran up and down the cliffs while he mocked me and chased me. I finally bowed to him, took off my armor and turned my back to him. After about 30 seconds of just staring at me he starts to come up behind me and I run away again. Eventually my magic starts to hurt him and before I know it....he falls off a cliff and I score 0 souls and 1 humanity. Go back to the bottom and re summon the same spirit that got one shot, go off and kill the hydra.

Stories like this are why this game is awesome.

Zzoram

PoorFate said:
Worst thing is getting one shotted by those rapier guys in the Balder armor.

When they do that stance where they waggle their rapier in front, it means they're looking to parry you. The only melee attack that can't be parried is the jumping lunge LS forward + R2. Regular R1 and R2 can be parried and will result in your death.

maomaoIYP

Grinchy said:
I had no idea you could backstab with a bow, holy shit.

Parrying is really useful when you are in tight spots where you can't get around a mob. Or when you are on a narrow beam. Some enemies telegraph their moves so much that a parry becomes a good choice. Plus, a riposte does more damage than a backstab.

Different weapon classes also have different riposte and parry animations. The parry animation for curved swords are exceptionally cool. Not all weapons in the left hand can parry though, hammers can only block and attack.

Zzoram said:
When they do that stance where they waggle their rapier in front, it means they're looking to parry you. The only melee attack that can't be parried is the jumping lunge LS forward + R2. Regular R1 and R2 can be parried and will result in your death.

Yeah, I never actually got riposted by one until that one guy at the top of Sen's Fortress.

I noticed other enemies will enter a similar stance for parrying. I'm pretty sure the skeletons do it.

I found the
Demons Ruins
area and its on some straight stupidity

I spent hours on the boss and finally killed him then you walk down into an open area and the left path has
5 Taurus Demons
stood there and the left side has 3
Capra Demons
stood waiting.

I just got the hell outta there lol

Is this some kinda joke? is there any point staying in the
Demons ruins
or is it best to ignore and just go to the big gate that opened up after
ringing the 2nd bell

catashtrophe said:
I found the
Demons Ruins
area and its on some straight stupidity

I spent hours on the boss and finally killed him then you walk down into an open area and the left path has
5 Taurus Demons
stood there and the left side has 3
Capra Demons
stood waiting.

I just got the hell outta there lol

Is this some kinda joke? is there any point staying in the
Demons ruins
or is it best to ignore and just go to the big gate that opened up after
ringing the 2nd bell

I think it's recommended to go through the gate. Although going through the Demon's Ruins is possible, it will probably be easier if you just go through the gate for now.

2AdEPT

IrishNinja said:
better than the forest area past the astoria crest door? cause 6k in a minute or two aint bad, just wondering what's better than that.
Helping as phantom in painted - 80k 1o min. (2 bp kills)iron golem - 45k 2 min (while going to get stones and arrows). Had great pvp obviously yesterday at sl 50. No guarantee it will go that quick for all, but more fun than boring repetition!

Insaniac

Level 100 Sorc

Stats (based off memory)

46 vit
26 attunement i think
13 endurance
10 str
base dex
55 Int
8 faith

Equipment

Crystal catalyst
+5 Ascended Pyro flame
+10 Grasscrest shield
+4 Crystal ring shield

Crown of Dusk
Havel's Armor/Gold-hemmed robe
Havel's Gauntlets
Antiquated dress +5 (sogood.gif)

Ring of favor and protection
Bellowing dragoncrest ring

For spells I generally mix it up depending on what I'm doing but I really like

Crystal Soul Spear
Crystal Homing Soul Mass (uber powerful)
2x Soul Spear
Great Combustion
2x Fire Orb

Also placing my summon sign at anor londo as a SL 100 has resulted in a lot of summons into NG+ fighting smough and ornstein and resulting in some easy easy grinding

Oh my god... the great hollow is fucking annoying.

Died with 5 humanity and lots of souls because I fell.

Then I fell again.

Feels bad man :( I had been with those humanity points for 10 hours or so.

Any tips?

holy poo, just made a lightning estoc +4 and in my off hand rocking a parrying dagger. Had hornets ring equipped and got invaded. managed to parry his first attack and riposte him for over 1500 damage. He fell in one hit, lol

feels good man

Kyoufu

Risk Breaker said:

Then I fell again.

Any tips?

You don't need to be there but I'm guessing you're going for the covenant...

Just stick on the main branch down until you see the 3 frogs, run past those down the path, then down the ladder, etc. It's not bad once you know where to go there.

fuzzyreactor said:
holy poo, just made a lightning estoc +4 and in my off hand rocking a parrying dagger. Had hornets ring equipped and got invaded. managed to parry his first attack and riposte him for over 1500 damage. He fell in one hit, lol

feels good man

Was it a 3 hit riposte or did it only do 2 hits for that much damage?

hteng

Banned
Risk Breaker said:

Then I fell again.

Any tips?

no tips other than you will fell alot, alot more, just make sure you already have the lordvessel before you venture there, it's not a pleasant experience to climb all the way up.

Kyoufu said:
You don't need to be there but I'm guessing you're going for the covenant...

Just stick on the main branch down until you see the 3 frogs, run past those down the path, then down the ladder, etc. It's not bad once you know where to go there.

Was it a 3 hit riposte or did it only do 2 hits for that much damage?
3 hit? i just parried his one attack and hit him once with the animation for the 1500 damage.

you can do more than one hit during a riposte?

tass0

Banned
Blighttown is by far the shittiest and most annoying level in the game so far.

Pissed me off so much, I had to quit playing because it was giving me a headache.

Actually, I love Demon
Ruins
. It's pretty easy to farm
Capra Demons
... with my Sorcerer Anyway : P
I am quite OK with Blighttown also. The frame rate issue is there but it was easier that DeS' 5-2 imo
my (incomplete) build :

Sorcerer SL64ish

15 VIT(not sure)
20 END
23 ATT
16 STR
13 DEX
44 INT
8 RES
base FAI

gold hemmed set ( no gloves )
eagle shield ( I can't parry for shit )
sorcerer catalyst
+4 Furysword

+33% sorc ring, Havel's ring

I intend to boost my pyrohand too. I also want an enchanted weapon, but did not decide yet, I guess I'll wait for 1.04. Zzoram's enchanted bandit's knife seems cool but I would like more range hence pumping str/dex a bit... Haven't played in human form yet :lol I guess I'll try to do some invasions for the lulz

Great Soul arrow, Soul Spear, Homing Soul Mass.

Any suggestion is welcome!

hteng said:
no tips other than you will fell alot, alot more, just make sure you already have the lordvessel before you venture there, it's not a pleasant experience to climb all the way up.

Haha yeah, I can imagine. The last thing I did was to get the lordvessel so thankfully that's one problem less.

I didn't even know there was a covenant here, just trying to explore as much as I can of the world.

What I didn't expect to find in here were those giant mushrooms... ugh

OMG I got to the end of it and found that place with the creepy music :D

mrklaw said:
I don't think I've ever parried, seems the risk is pretty high - is it fairly straightforward? Also never backstabbed, but maybe thats not possible with a spear..

You're going to need to learn to parry sooner or later. It is only risky on enemies where you don't know their telegraphs very well. Practice on enemies where you have a good understanding of their wind ups. Basically, you parry as their attack goes off. EpicNameBro discusses how to parry right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c21w40cHQdE

Anyway, I'm in the middle of a very comprehensive review for the game. This one is going to be a long one.

Styles

So I've just upgraded my enchanted barbed straight sword to +5 and the permbonus is e/e/b/- , so not the e/e/a/- bonus I was hoping for. It's still good, but wikidot had that list all wrong.

Eliciel

Zzoram said:
Sorcerer

Vit 30
End 40
Att 29 (planning to get to 34 for the 8th spell slot)
Str 10
Dex 12
Res 8
Int 44
Fat 8

ascended pyro flame +5
sorcerer catalyst
Gold-hemmed robes full set armor
the ring that adds 33% dmg to sorcery, the serpent ring to boost drop rate of items
Enchanted Bandit's Knife +2 (planning to +5 for trophy)
Chaos Rapier +3 (planning to +5 for trophy)
Fire Short Bow +5 (planning to +10 for trophy)

Soul Spear, Homing Soul Mass, Iron Skin, Chaos Fireball, Great Fireball, Great Combustion

with Insaniac and Saargabath

we have 3 out of 3 sorcs. And I thought Dark Souls wouldn't be working for sorcs like Demons Souls did. How did that happen? No sword, spear, axe, hammer or knife wielding heroes around? ;)

def sim

Zzoram said:
A lot of us Sorcerers playing easy mode.

My next character will be a Dex-based melee character for hard mode.

A lot easier than you would think, actually. Bosses have simple patterns up close and you'll see everything coming a mile away.

IrishNinja

2AdEPT said:
Helping as phantom in painted - 80k 1o min. (2 bp kills)iron golem - 45k 2 min (while going to get stones and arrows). Had great pvp obviously yesterday at sl 50. No guarantee it will go that quick for all, but more fun than boring repetition!

holy shit yes, that sounds way more fun. gonna try those spots.

Kyoufu said:
Lol, Dark Souls 1hour 26 minute speed run has made it onto Daily Mail news:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...est-videogame-time-2-hours.html#ixzz1bOyUfafe

goddamn.
i know i take my time, but im 40 hours in and still in londo. shit.

Zzoram said:
A lot of us Sorcerers playing easy mode.

My next character will be a Dex-based melee character for hard mode.

fucking thank you
<<THIS GUY
THIS GUY RIGHT HERE

still gonna plat it, fuck your spells!

Zzoram

Spells are definitely super easy. I still 1 or 2 shot most enemies in the game, and bosses take maybe 6 shots of my most powerful spells lol.

Insaniac

Saargabath said:
Actually, I love Demon
Ruins
. It's pretty easy to farm
Capra Demons
... with my Sorcerer Anyway : P
I am quite OK with Blighttown also. The frame rate issue is there but it was easier that DeS' 5-2 imo
my (incomplete) build :

Sorcerer SL64ish

15 VIT(not sure)
20 END
23 ATT
16 STR
13 DEX
44 INT
8 RES
base FAI

gold hemmed set ( no gloves )
eagle shield ( I can't parry for shit )
sorcerer catalyst
+4 Furysword

+33% sorc ring, Havel's ring

I intend to boost my pyrohand too. I also want an enchanted weapon, but did not decide yet, I guess I'll wait for 1.04. Zzoram's enchanted bandit's knife seems cool but I would like more range hence pumping str/dex a bit... Haven't played in human form yet :lol I guess I'll try to do some invasions for the lulz

Great Soul arrow, Soul Spear, Homing Soul Mass.

Any suggestion is welcome!

as a SL 64 I farmed Anor Londo boss for over a million souls easily getting summoned to help people. As a sorc/pyro that area is a cinch

Kyoufu

fuzzyreactor said:
thought that depended on the weapon. Pretty sure the estoc only does the one riposte animation where he parries it and stab the estoc through the belly once.

I didn't think that was the case when I landed a 3 hit with my bare hands!

my build

Sl 85?

vit 30
attunement 14 or 15(for 2 spell slots)
end 30
str 40
int 15
dex 40
faith 12

armor

no helm or the stamina mask/ equip burden mask
eastern armor
painted pants
gold hemmed arms

Rings

hornets ring, darkmoons flip ring, bloodbite ring

weapons/shield

1. fury sword +5, any decent shield, pharis bow, pyro hand

2. lifehunt scythe, ugi +14, blood shield, pyro hand

3. estoc, good shield, parry dagger, either pyro hand, fury sword, or nothing

spells
toxic, acid cloud, iron skin for pve, firewhip, fireball

IrishNinja

Zzoram said:
Spells are definitely super easy. I still 1 or 2 shot most enemies in the game, and bosses take maybe 6 shots of my most powerful spells lol.

argh, that hurts, haha...i mean, its super satisfying to melee big bosses, but it's slow going.
i debated a pyro, but i platted demon's with a Wanderer and had to keep it going - just still trying to find my groove as far as balanced armor, fast/strong weapon, and sort out the few spells i need to get by...still hoping to find a buff one to save my ass.

Zzoram

IrishNinja said:
argh, that hurts, haha...i mean, its super satisfying to melee big bosses, but it's slow going.
i debated a pyro, but i platted demon's with a Wanderer and had to keep it going - just still trying to find my groove as far as balanced armor, fast/strong weapon, and sort out the few spells i need to get by...still hoping to find a buff one to save my ass.

Iron Skin is ridiculously imbalanced pyromancy PvE. You're basically invincible for 30 seconds. Bosses will chip the tiniest amounts of health off of you as you just wail on them. You move super slow with it though.

For me, it gives me the time I need to get off 4 shots of Chaos Fireball, and whatever Soul Spears are necessary to finish the job.

First run with a
SL41 Thief

20 VIT
17 END
11 ATT
11 STR
30 DEX
12 INT
10 RES
11 FAI

Full Gold-hemmed until I get my final armor (Darkwraith)
Ring of Favor and Protection
Ring of the Evil Eye (Also not final)
Pyromancy Flame +5
Grass Crest Schield
Bandit Knive +5
Uchigatana +5 (Will result in Furrysword)
Blackbow of Pharis

Iron Flesh
Heavy Soul Arrow

IrishNinja

Zzoram said:
Iron Skin is ridiculously imbalanced pyromancy PvE. You're basically invincible for 30 seconds. Bosses will chip the tiniest amounts of health off of you as you just wail on them. You move super slow with it though.

For me, it gives me the time I need to get off 4 shots of Chaos Fireball, and whatever Soul Spears are necessary to finish the job.

awesome, i gotta go find this tomorrow then. hope the req isnt high - stuck in andor for now, i gotta tie this up first.
after that, its time to settle on weapon & armor. from what im looking at, Elite Knight Armor+10 or whatever offers high DEF without too much weight, as id really like to not have to wear this ring for my current stone armor.

one more time though: my dex is 40, and my iaito+5 is higher ATK or whatever than my drake+2, but i still have to hit almost every enemy more times. what gives? shit is really hindering my weapon selection.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lost Izalith, dealt with. The Bed of Chaos was a fun boss. It's a real shame about THAT giant annoying room beforehand, because really a few tweaks could have made the area another genuinely fun section. Now all that's left is the Tomb of the Giants.

Two things:

Is there a shortcut back to TOTG since I've bet Pinwheel?

Where is the light emitting helmet?

Zzoram

IrishNinja said:
awesome, i gotta go find this tomorrow then. hope the req isnt high - stuck in andor for now, i gotta tie this up first.
after that, its time to settle on weapon & armor. from what im looking at, Elite Knight Armor+10 or whatever offers high DEF without too much weight, as id really like to not have to wear this ring for my current stone armor.

one more time though: my dex is 40, and my iaito+5 is higher ATK or whatever than my drake+2, but i still have to hit almost every enemy more times. what gives? shit is really hindering my weapon selection.

Why not upgrade your Iaito further? Get it up to +10 or +15.

I'm not sure why it's doing less damage.

IrishNinja

Zzoram said:
Why not upgrade your Iaito further? Get it up to +10 or +15.

I'm not sure why it's doing less damage.

yeah, gonna do that when im out of londo. do i need to use any rare materials that id need for a trophy to do this though? was thinking of making it lightning, but i believe it stops dex scaling then, so no go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom