• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
hteng said:
it's just like any other single hand sword (longsword, bastard sword), but with unique R2 animation. other than that you can upgrade it like using normal titanite shards, then go with +15 or elementals.

i think it's ok, really depends on your playstyle really. i find that NG+ enemies have so much HP single handed swords does not seem to do enough damage.

allright, guess i won't be wasting humanity on that.

thanks.

Insaniac

Kyoufu said:
Pyro's main stat is DEX, which increases casting times for pyromancy. So get your VIT and DEX up. You can use Power Within for END later on.

dex decreases pyro cast time? what is a amount of dex to have?

Ken

Kyoufu said:
Pyro's main stat is DEX, which increases casting times for pyromancy. So get your VIT and DEX up. You can use Power Within for END later on.

How does Power Within work with END?

Bah.

So I grinded for about 5 hours to get my humanity up to 30.

I used it to level the Chaos Covenant to rank 2.

Lo and behold, I put my controller down while in the talking menu screen, and it pressed my r2 button hard enough to attack, killing her instantly.

So long
Solaire ;_;

Kyoufu

Insaniac said:
dex decreases pyro cast time? what is a amount of dex to have?

99 DEX will drastically reduce the cast times. So for a pyro build, 40 VIT, 99 DEX and some END is pretty much the way to go :lol

Ken said:
How does Power Within work with END?

Increases stamina regeneration.

1stStrike

Banned
Vect said:
Christ, just lost 80,000 to the clams in crystal cave.

Trying to get a Blue titanite slab. :(

Don't worry about souls, people. Towards the end of the game you can farm a shit ton of souls easily using completely legit means.

Aeana

Kyoufu said:
From the blacksmith, instead of taking the straight path to the farming spot bonfire, take a right when available (where the shining plant is) and you can go down a path. On the way you'll encounter a crystal lizard that you should kill before it escapes and also a Black Knight guarding an item.

At the bottom, before you head to the boss which will be on your left, head right and there will be a bonfire in a cave.
Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out tomorrow. What is the armor set called?

Not sure who decided to put infintiley-re-spawning enemies that can be killed in 1 hit, give souls and have a good drop rate for humanity in the game, but I think I love them.

Killing those skeletons was almost addictive - watching their little bodies burst into flames. About an hour later, now I have 25 humanity in my inventory, and 25 active on my character and over 100k souls. Now the question is - do I forge onwards to the boss, or make use of this humanity boost to go item farming for chunks.

rogerroger22 said:
Not sure who decided to put infintiley-re-spawning enemies that can be killed in 1 hit, give souls and have a good drop rate for humanity in the game, but I think I love them.

Killing those skeletons was almost addictive - watching their little bodies burst into flames. About an hour later, now I have 25 humanity in my inventory, and 25 active on my character and over 100k souls. Now the question is - do I forge onwards to the boss, or make use of this humanity boost to go item farming for chunks.

If you consider the utter hell, and lack of a teleport, to that area, its a pretty decent reward.

If you want to keep going, keep grinding until you get enough humanity, then go on and hunt for shards.

I think Lost Kiln has Black Knights who drop them pretty consistently.

Ill Saint said:
What's with all the Tomb of Giants hate? I really liked that area. I thought the near darkness was an interesting switch-up, and made for a very tense negotiation. I also loved how finding the
skull lantern and holding it up illuminated the way. Wonderful! And seeing Demon Ruins and Ash Lake from there was really cool.

Crystal Cave is another that mystifies me. It's too short to be any real bother, and the
invisible walkways
become obvious if you pay attention to the audio and visual clues. Plus it's quite beautiful.

Ash Lake is just gorgeous and feels so surreal, like reaching the end of the world.

I haven't explored Lost Izalith yet, I saw the first mob of enemies and ran back, so can't judge yet. But I haven't been disappointed by the end game at all so far.

I'm in the Tomb of Giants now, and now that I have the spell Cast Light or using the skull lantern - it's actually a pretty cool level.

I also ended up enjoying Blighttown despite all the hate it seems to get. Lost Izalith though? that level can just fuck off. You can't even argue that it has good level design - couldn't get done there fast enough. Wish I had farmed humanity in Tombs sooner so I coulda opened up the shortcut and skipped most of it.

Vect said:
Christ, just lost 80,000 to the clams in crystal cave.

Trying to get a Blue titanite slab. :(

i lost 100k yesterday while running through new londo and said fuck it. not gonna bother getting that back, just get me out of that shitty zone :)

Kyoufu

Aeana said:
Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out tomorrow. What is the armor set called?

The helm is called Crown of Dusk, the rest is called Antiquated Dress etc. You probably only want the helm which actually boosts your damage. The set does look nice though.

sersteven said:
If you consider the utter hell, and lack of a teleport, to that area, its a pretty decent reward.

If you want to keep going, keep grinding until you get enough humanity, then go on and hunt for shards.

I think Lost Kiln has Black Knights who drop them pretty consistently.

Not minding the level so far actually - my first time there the darkness was 'wtf?', and decided to save it for later. Went back with the Cast Light spell - and I'm not minding it.

rogerroger22 said:

Killing those skeletons was almost addictive - watching their little bodies burst into flames. About an hour later, now I have 25 humanity in my inventory, and 25 active on my character and over 100k souls.
but dam those drops disappear fast!

Ken said:
So I just killed
Four Kings
. Where should I go next?
Have you done Duke's Archive yet?

Insaniac

Kyoufu said:
99 DEX will drastically reduce the cast times. So for a pyro build, 40 VIT, 99 DEX and some END is pretty much the way to go :lol

Increases stamina regeneration.

hmm, so would a sorc with pyro spells be wasting her time putting points into dex when it could go into intelligence?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dude, fuck Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith. Could they possibly be any more half-baked.

Rez said:
dude, fuck Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith. Could they possibly be any more half-baked.

They just reek of lazy design. It's almost like they said 'Well, we give up on interesting ways to be challenging - lets just make a big empty space, poorly laid out, fill it with walking undead dino-asses and call it a day."

Thank god those things didn't respawn. I really tried to give those levels the benefit of the doubt. Most of the other levels people raged over ie: Blighttown, I actually ended up liking. Really, FPS issues aside - I think blight town is a cleverly designed level.

Demon's Ruins is just a waste of space - when I first walked into that level I had high hopes, it looked cool from a distance - was really hoping for some sort of massive ruined castle/fort lava themed level or something. But nope, big empty field, repeating early game boss enemies, followed by a boss that was a re-hash of the Asylum Demon, followed by another waste of space, followed by another boss. Then Lost Izalth? bleh.

That level didn't feel hard - it just felt like a chore. I couldn't wait to be done with it. I know I missed a bunch of items once you get past the field of undead dragon ass - I just have zero desire to go back now that I've beat the boss.

Since the game doesn't explain anything, I found a set of leather armour in Darkroot Basin I have 3 upward pointing arrows underneath my stamina bar.

Is it a bonus for having a matching set? My stamina regen is pretty damn fast now.

Ken

toasty_T said:
Since the game doesn't explain anything, I found a set of leather armour in Darkroot Basin I have 3 upward pointing arrows underneath my stamina bar.

Is it a bonus for having a matching set? My stamina regen is pretty damn fast now.
Maybe you picked up the Green Crest Shield that's also down in the Basin? I know that shield gives you a stamina regen buff.

Speevy

Banned
I'm in Anor Londo and I made it all the way to the top of the huge stairs, I'm axing those pinkies left and right. Then one of them shoots my shield and knocks me off the freaking platform, how cheap is that.

Ken

Insaniac said:
Man. I am the destroyer of invaders. Destroyed 6 invaders for my hosts so far
Do you need to be summoned by a host to kill invaders or is there a way to do a White Phantom invasion?

rogerroger22 said:
They just reek of lazy design. It's almost like they said 'Well, we give up on interesting ways to be challenging - lets just make a big empty space, poorly laid out, fill it with walking undead dino-asses and call it a day."

Thank god those things didn't respawn. I really tried to give those levels the benefit of the doubt. Most of the other levels people raged over ie: Blighttown, I actually ended up liking. Really, FPS issues aside - I think blight town is a cleverly designed level.

Demon's Ruins is just a waste of space - when I first walked into that level I had high hopes, it looked cool from a distance - was really hoping for some sort of massive ruined castle/fort lava themed level or something. But nope, big empty field, repeating early game boss enemies, followed by a boss that was a re-hash of the Asylum Demon, followed by another waste of space, followed by another boss. Then Lost Izalth? bleh.

That level didn't feel hard - it just felt like a chore. I couldn't wait to be done with it. I know I missed a bunch of items once you get past the field of undead dragon ass - I just have zero desire to go back now that I've beat the boss.

Holy hell. Spoilers.

Insaniac

Ken said:
Do you need to be summoned by a host to kill invaders or is there a way to do a White Phantom invasion?

People can invade you normally if you're human, I just happened to get summoned into a plahyers world while he was currently being invaded.

Also I don't know why but I seem to get summoned more as a Dark Chaos covenant, instead of Sunlight warrior. Not that I'm complaining. 45,000 exp for helping someone kill smough and ornstein is great

Riposte

I have a Masters in Scrubiness.

"...lazy design" = "I can't cope"

Pull them one at a time(I can do it with no ranged attack) and learn how to mitigate and punish their attacks. Or gather them together and have them kill each other. (The area they spawn in is not "wide-open". It has 2+ buildings and some vines.)

At what point should I consider ditching the Drake Sword (+1)? I'm in blight town just after killing that
parasite thing that was latched on some wall that I ranged from those shitty platforms

Also, stupid(?) mistake of mine. I kept upgrading my STR stat before I realized the Drake sword was getting no benefit and my attack was maxed at 220 from my upgrade with that sword. What's up with that?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Riposte said:
I have a Masters in Scrubiness.

"...lazy design" = "I can't cope"

Pull them one at a time(I can do it with no ranged attack) and learn how to mitigate and punish their attacks. Or gather them together and have them kill each other. (The area they spawn in is not "wide-open". It has 2+ buildings and some vines.)
Eh. I disagree. I had trouble throughout the game. Blighttown, Anor Londo, Sen's Freakin' Fortress, The Duke's Archives, Crystal Caves New Londo Ruins and so on, but this is different from all of those. I don't feel like there's anything particularly memorable about any of it. It's just a series of recycled bosses and shitty ideas.

I mean, seriously,
the Asylum Demon, again?! The second time was cool, that was just silly!

It isn't that it's hard. There's nothing particularly difficult about anything I've dealt with down here relative to the rest of the game. It's just... tedious. Uninspired.

I walked out of the The Duke's Archives after dealing with Seath completely reinvigorated. This... not so much.

I'm hoping Tomb of the Giants isn't so bad if I have the light helmet.

Speevy

Banned
plasticpassion said:
At what point should I consider ditching the Drake Sword (+1)? I'm in blight town just after killing that
parasite thing that was latched on some wall that I ranged from those shitty platforms

Also, stupid(?) mistake of mine. I kept upgrading my STR stat before I realized the Drake sword was getting no benefit and my attack was maxed at 220 from my upgrade with that sword. What's up with that?

Get the great axe and keep upgrading your STR.

I have a +10 Great Axe and it outdoes the Drake Sword by a mile.

You'll find that many of the cooler weapons scale with Dex instead of Str, if they scale at all.

Eventually you'll get lightning damage, which is a safer, more effective damage dealer anyway.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
rogerroger22 said:
I really tried to give those levels the benefit of the doubt. Most of the other levels people raged over ie: Blighttown, I actually ended up liking. Really, FPS issues aside - I think blight town is a cleverly designed level.
Mm, exactly. I have fond memories of Blighttown and the like.

Styles

Doing co-op is another way to farm souls quickly, I just got summoned 6 times. So fun.

One shotting these clams with the Crystal Ring shield is so satisfying, revenge is sweet. So which armour set do you guys recommend I upgrade that has a nice aesthetics : defence ratio?

hteng

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
allright, guess i won't be wasting humanity on that.

thanks.

actually you get the Dark Sword AND the Dark Armor set if you rank darkwraith to rank 2.

dark armor looks pretty badass.

Speevy said:
Get the great axe and keep upgrading your STR.

I have a +10 Great Axe and it outdoes the Drake Sword by a mile.

You'll find that many of the cooler weapons scale with Dex instead of Str, if they scale at all.

Eventually you'll get lightning damage, which is a safer, more effective damage dealer anyway.

I think strength weapon has a wider variety to choose from,

you have Straight swords, great swords, ultra greatswords, Axes, Great Axes, Clubs, Great Clubs which are mostly str focused

while Daggers, Spears, Halberds, Whips, Eastern Swords, Great Eastern Swords, Bows, Crossbows for dex focused.

Ill Saint

Lost Izalith is bugging me due to the insane flouro lava glow. It's really over the top... but I'm actually enjoying killing those dragon hindquarters! It's kinda satisfying making them kill each other or sniping at them with my Avelyn. I like the archicture of the buildings I can see, too. The lava though... argh. But yeah, Demon Ruins and the enemy placement just screamed last minute drag'n drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom