• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVIDICAN

What's everyone's equipment set up?
I'm rocking the
Great sword of Artorias+5, Tin Crystallization catalyst, Hollow Soldier Shield +15, Crystal Ring Shield +5 and a half upgraded Black Iron armor set. Using Havels ring, and bellowing dragoncrest ring.

Spruchy

Beat it today, wasn't an amazing game, was an amazing experience. If there wasn't a gajillion other things I wanted to play I would start my ng+ immediately, but for now batman.

Wool

JVIDICAN said:
Oh wow. One hit an invader with crystal homing soul mass. I think I pissed him off, I got a "N00b" message a minute later. :x

Invaders have no reason whatsoever to be angry with the person they invade. I am kind of fed up becoming human and not finding anyone to summon to help, but getting invaded multiple times. I'll use fog ring, vow of silence, and the crystal ring shield all at once and one hit them most of the time.

In other news: I only have a couple areas left, and I can't find the crystal cave. I went through the Duke's Archives and
got killed by Seath. Then I went through what seemed like everywhere possible to go in that prison cell area and then back to the rooms with the moving staircases. I could not find a key to let out that guy with the big hat, so I figure I missed something, but I don't know what. Is there an illusionary wall somewhere?

hteng said:
actually you get the Dark Sword AND the Dark Armor set if you rank darkwraith to rank 2.

dark armor looks pretty badass.

yes, but i don't really want to farm humanity for some armor i'm not gonna use. i have so many sets already.

Speevy

Banned
JVIDICAN said:
I'm rocking the
Great sword of Artorias+5, Tin Crystallization catalyst, Hollow Soldier Shield +15, Crystal Ring Shield +5 and a half upgraded Black Iron armor set. Using Havels ring, and bellowing dragoncrest ring.

Lightning Spear +1
Great Axe +10
Full Black Iron Armor set
Eagle shield +5

I need some more twinkling titanite.

Zzoram

I've beaten a few invaders with Homing Soul Mass before. As soon as I get the invasion prompt I cast it and go somewhere they can't sneak up behind me.

Not my fault they don't even use shields, nevermind one that blocks magic.

In fact, I was invaded in Tomb of Giants but never saw them using a skull lantern or casting the light spell. I wonder if they could even see me before they took a soul mass to the face.

JVIDICAN

Speevy said:
Lightning stick (whatever it's called) +1
Great Axe +10
Full Black Iron Armor set
Eagle shield +5

I need some more twinkling titanite.

Such a pain in the ass to farm. >.<
For every 5 or so clams, you'll get 1 purging stone. For every 15 purging stones you'll maybe get 1 twinkling tintanite.

hteng

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
yes, but i don't really want to farm humanity for some armor i'm not gonna use. i have so many sets already.

eh, better farm in this game than next game right? or just use the infinite item glitch :p

GhostRidah said:
Which is better crystal ring shield or greatshiell of artorias?

crystal ring shield by a mile, it actually does a ton of damage given the right setup oh and it's a range attack.

Greatshield of artorias is the best shield in the game, i can block an (NG+) Iron Knight's Shield bash/slam with it and it takes only little stamina, but it's quite heavy, weighting at 16, you pretty much have to use it with Havel's ring if you don't want movement penalty.

Zzoram

hteng said:
eh, better farm in this game than next game right? or just use the infinite item glitch :p

crystal ring shield by a mile, it actually does a ton of damage given the right setup oh and it's a range attack.

Greatshield of artorias is the best shield in the game, i can block an Iron Knight's Shield bash/slam with it and it takes only little stamina, but it's quite heavy, weighting at 16, you pretty much have to use it with Havel's ring if you don't want movement penalty.

Pretty sure that only works on consumable items

dekjo

Co-op still frustrates me. Have had four takers over the last three+ hours and only one win because summoner's don't use flasks. Shit's broke right now, partly on the getting players into other players' games and partly on players knowing what to do when they summon others into their games.

I'm well enough distracted while I wait between summons with browsing gaf, watching giantbomb, doing work, and such; but at some point I'll lose my patience with the logic of how co-op is suppose to work in this game.

Kyoufu

GhostRidah said:
Which is better crystal ring shield or greatshiell of artorias?

Crystal Ring Shield is used for dealing damage with L2. The problem with Greatshield of Artorias is that it doesn't parry, and honestly if you want a shield that doesn't parry but with high stability you'd want Havel's shield, which also has an awesome L2 defensive ability.

JVIDICAN

GhostRidah said:
One hit sounds amazing :D
Crystal Ring shield is what you want. Upgrade it as much as you can if you have the demon titanite to do so.

Anyone know the specifics of how a right hand weapon affects the left hand one?
Example: crystal ring shield +5 does around 660 damage with say a scythe in the right hand.
With the Artorias great sword in the right hand the shields damage output jumps to around 1600. :eek:

1stStrike

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Crystal Ring Shield is used for dealing damage with L2. The problem with Greatshield of Artorias is that it doesn't parry, and honestly if you want a shield that doesn't parry but with high stability you'd want Havel's shield, which also has an awesome L2 defensive ability.

GreatShield of Artorias requires far less strength to use, though, and has 88 stability. Well worth it IMO if you're not pumping strength.

JVIDICAN said:
Crystal Ring shield is what you want. Upgrade it as much as you can if you have the demon titanite to do so.

Anyone know the specifics of how a right hand weapon affects the left hand one?
Example: crystal ring shield +5 does around 660 damage with say a scythe in the right hand.
With the Artorias great sword in the right hand the shields damage output jumps to around 1600. :eek:

It does double the damage of the weapon in your right hand. So, just put the highest attack weapon you have in your right hand before using the shield's attack.

hteng

Banned
Kyoufu said:

havel's shield is considerably heavier and less stable if i recall. i think it also had better magic defense, can't remember.

Yo Gotti

Banned
JVIDICAN said:
I'm rocking the

RH1: Black Knight Great Axe +5/Lightning Washing Pole +4/Lightning Zweihander +5
RH2: Ascended Pryomancer Flame +2
LH1: Black Knight Shield +2
LH2: Canvas Talisman
Head:
Golem's
Head
Body:
Golem's
Armor
Hands: Leather Gauntlets +9
Legs: Black Leather Greaves +9
Ring 1: Havels Ring
Ring 2: Ring of Favor and Protection

Insaniac

1stStrike said:
It does double the damage of the weapon in your right hand. So, just put the highest attack weapon you have in your right hand before using the shield's attack.

are you sure thats how it works precisely? I'm using it with Crystal Catalyst doing about 1000 damage per shot

Kyoufu

1stStrike said:
GreatShield of Artorias requires far less strength to use, though, and has 88 stability. Well worth it IMO if you're not pumping strength.

That is true, I didn't consider the strength rating. Either way, a shield that can riposte rules supreme.

Capra Demon just scared the shit out of me. I hate traversing the white light to only be greeted by a sprinting maniac. This is the stuff of nightmares.

maomaoIYP

Zzoram said:
Where can we start farming Blue/Red chunks and slabs?

Blue chunks can be farmed outside the crystal caves or during the final stage where a black knight has it for a guaranteed drop. For red chunks it's easier to rely on the final stage section as well.

Blue slabs are supposedly dropped by the moon butterfly thingies in the crystal cave. By no means an easy fight due to the lack of terrain to move about. Red slabs are supposedly dropped by the octopus enemies in Lost Izalith, but there's only 3 respawning ones, the area is shit far from the nearest bonfire, and I farmed them for hours without a single drop.

1stStrike

Banned
Insaniac said:
are you sure thats how it works precisely? I'm using it with Crystal Catalyst doing about 1000 damage per shot

I use weapons based on strength only, so I don't know if it works differently with magical weapons, but with the weapons I use it goes up or down depending on the damage of the weapon I have equipped. It definitely takes your weapons attack power into account.

Kyoufu said:
That is true, I didn't consider the strength rating. Either way, a shield that can riposte rules supreme.

Depends on your character and who/what you're fighting. With my fighting style, I rarely find myself in a situation where I need to worry about a riposte. I just need to absorb the blow and then dish out the pain.

IrishNinja

1stStrike said:
Don't worry about souls, people. Towards the end of the game you can farm a shit ton of souls easily using completely legit means.

better than the forest area past the astoria crest door? cause 6k in a minute or two aint bad, just wondering what's better than that.

1stStrike

Banned
IrishNinja said:
better than the forest area past the astoria crest door? cause 6k in a minute or two aint bad, just wondering what's better than that.

The eternally respawning skeletons in the tomb of giants.

sixghost

I started a Tank character after finishing the game with a Thief, and I was lucky enough to get a Black Knight Shield from the first black Knight. Is that something I should be upgrading, or is does it get overtaken later on in the game by better shields?

IrishNinja

1stStrike said:
The eternally respawning skeletons in the tomb of giants.

how much do they give/how fast can you farm?

also: my lvl 69 wanderer has a dex of 40. i'm still using the drake+2 because even where the iato+5 scales and gives better #'s, i have to hit things more often than i do with said drake. WTF? thinking of taking it up to +15, maybe dual-weilding except on bosses or something, but i gotta get better at dodging on small spaces. really wish i had something like a kalij this game to hit hard and chain with quick hits.

Ill Saint

Why is it that I'm great at the game solo, but a total retard during co-op? Without fail I will die a ridiculous, embarrassing death within minutes. Got summoned in Anor londo, then promptly backstabbed by a painting guardian, and backstabbed again as I was getting up, then finished off with a final blow.

As for PvP? I might as well just roll off a cliff and save the invader the effort. Sigh.

Zzoram

Maybe I'm lucky but the only people who have invaded me were really basic melee characters that rolled around a lot but ultimately couldn't beat my magic. No Fog Ring against a Sorcerer is really tough.

hteng

Banned
Zzoram said:
Not really worth getting 99 Dex just to cast 1 second faster.

lol i think 50 is good enough, but to someone that is fulltime pyro then it's probably worth it. the dex works for dex weapons too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
giant rat I came across by accident. I fell down a hole in the depths and so ended up walking along a high walkway with the rat underneath, so I just firebombed him without him even being able to attack :)

And sod off those of you going 'oh poor little doggy sif, limping boo hoo'. I took ages to kill him. when he finally started limping and then fell over, waggling his little legs trying to get up - all I thought was 'good, die you fucking bastard'.

Sorry.

KAOz

Short bus special
Ill Saint said:
Why is it that I'm great at the game solo, but a total retard during co-op? Without fail I will die a ridiculous, embarrassing death within minutes. Got summoned in Anor londo, then promptly backstabbed by a painting guardian, and backstabbed again as I was getting up, then finished off with a final blow.

As for PvP? I might as well just roll off a cliff and save the invader the effort. Sigh.

I know what it's like. That's why I never take invasions seriously though.

Turning into a vase infront of the people I invaded, only to break the spell with the "Praise the sun"-gesture and then dance for a bit. When I'm on too low health, I just use the "drop to my knees"-gesture, and accept defeat. Which usually happens quite quick.

Coop is better though, but sometimes I want to yell at the guy I'm helping. Like in Anor Londo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dresden said:
You'll be using regular soul arrows for a long time. If you've just unlocked Griggs, I'd grab the regular soul arrow, the great soul arrows, and the great heavy soul arrows. The great soul arrows will completely replace your regular soul arrows later on, and the great heavy soul arrows are your boss-killers.

The regular magic shield and such aren't that useful, I think. Never found them useful.

do soul arrows scale with one of your stats? I'm a wanderer and my heavy soul arrows that I bought do very little damage to many enemies and bosses. add in the crazy long cast time and I hardly use them.

Zzoram

mrklaw said:
do soul arrows scale with one of your stats? I'm a wanderer and my heavy soul arrows that I bought do very little damage to many enemies and bosses. add in the crazy long cast time and I hardly use them.

Sorcery spells scale with INT

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kyoufu said:

I don't think I've ever parried, seems the risk is pretty high - is it fairly straightforward? Also never backstabbed, but maybe thats not possible with a spear..

Zzoram

mrklaw said:
I don't think I've ever parried, seems the risk is pretty high - is it fairly straightforward? Also never backstabbed, but maybe thats not possible with a spear..

Parry riposte is definitely risky. Back stab can be done with pretty much any weapon.

Just get behind the enemy, lower your shield, and R1. If you're in the right zone, the back stab animation takes over. It only works with your shield lowered (let go of L1).

To parry, press L2 to swing your shield out just before their weapon hits you. If you get the timing right, your shield will push their weapon away, stunning them for 2 seconds. During that time, there is a sound or something to let you know to press R1 to riposte for massive damage, more than a back stab even.

linko9

Insaniac said:
any catalyst worth your time only scales with int

So the MagAdjust stat scales with INT? And not just the attack? For my second character, I think I'll be a sorcerer, but I haven't messed around with magic attacks at all in my 120 hrs so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom