• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mortrialus said:
Dark Sun Gwyndolin
I like the infinite hallway. I also like how he is the true villain of the game. He’s kind of a wimp though.

Pricilla the Crossbreed
I am never killing this boss again. Ever. She is even more gut wrenching then the Maiden Astraea. She is entirely optional, and she even politely gives you directions on how to leave. She is also the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. As a fight, she isn’t that difficult, though she is kind of interesting.

Seath the Scaleless
Fuck Seath’s tail. Getting his tail is a pain in the ass. I didn’t have any problem with him. I don’t’ even remember his move set to be honest. He has a cool introduction and a cool design, but that is about it.

I'm confused, Gwyndolin is a he? I thought Seath & Gwyndolin got down & dirty to have Pricilla?
If I'm wrong please correct me.

web01 said:
Disagree with what you have to say about Ceaseless Discharge,
you can fight this boss totally legit and it is a really good fight.

It was clearly designed to be fought this way because because you can bait him to attack with specific tentacles and you need to know the correct way to roll because the armored tentacles take less damage than the unarmoured.

Most people would only find out about the easy way method and the
instant kill gimmick
if they looked them up online.

I didn't find out the easy way until after I killed him. He was still a joke.

K' Dash

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah, Transient Curse is the way to go. The ghosts drop plenty of them and the effect is fairly long. I think I finished the area with 10-12 leftover.

Mortrialus said:
Transient Curse has no negative effects. Using them does nothing except allow you to attack the ghosts.

I'll try that tonight, I'm going there after I finish Smough and Ornstein.

K' Dash said:
I'll try that tonight, I'm going there after I finish Smough and Ornstein.

The Female Undead Merchant sells a limited supply of them. There are a variety of them scattered around the area. If you use the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, I guarantee you the ghosts will drop Transient Curse enough to keep you with a surplus.

Mortrialus said:
The Female Undead Merchant sells a limited supply of them. There are a variety of them scattered around the area. If you use the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, I guarantee you the ghosts will drop Transient Curse enough to keep you with a surplus.
Yeah, I should mention that I had that ring equipped as well.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah, I should mention that I had that ring equipped as well.

Speaking of the New Londo Ruins, I swear that in NG+ they doubled the amount of ghosts in there. In my first play through, I didn't have too much trouble there. In NG+ however, I was getting jumped by 6-10 of them at a time, it was insane.

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
Are those slugs really the best farming method to get green titanite shards?

They only drop large shards for me, I've already helped 3 people kill Queelag and every time in between I had time to sit at the bonfire, get up and kill at least 8 slugs. I thought about the crestfallen merchant but 5000 for one shard, and considering I plan to hava a fire weapon, just to get to +5 will cost me 45k, no way...

DuendeSmoker said:

They only drop large shards for me, I've already helped 3 people kill Queelag and every time in between I had time to sit at the bonfire, get up and kill at least 8 slugs. I thought about the crestfallen merchant but 5000 for one shard, and considering I plan to hava a fire weapon, just to get to +5 will cost me 45k, no way...

The fastest way of getting those shards is to farm in the Blackroot forest grinding spot and buy them from the Crestfallen Merchant. It isn't that bad and at least its predictable.

FrankT

One of the few times I had trouble with a boss. IMO it is because the room is darn tight and especially worse with all the roots in there. I kind of lucked out really. Tried to use the same method I used with Stray Demon, but really had to mix it up.

tFZfn.jpg

I FINALLY GOT IT!

I'm gonna make sweet sweet man love to this game all weekend long ( >'v')>

orion434

I have a question regarding an Achievement.

1. Is there any way to trade weapons with another player?
2. If so, if a player acquires a "Rare Weapon" from another player will it be counted or do you have to earn it?

I know you can drop items on the ground... but as a Phantom can I pick them up?
Can a Phantom drop an item when he's in another person's game?

You have to make 3 different items with a certain boss soul... does this mean I have to play through at least 3 times?

rayner said:
I have a question regarding an Achievement.

1. Is there any way to trade weapons with another player?
2. If so, if a player acquires a "Rare Weapon" from another player will it be counted or do you have to earn it?

I know you can drop items on the ground... but as a Phantom can I pick them up?
Can a Phantom drop an item when he's in another person's game?

You have to make 3 different items with a certain boss soul... does this mean I have to play through at least 3 times?

Yep, 3 different playthroughs.

Just cleared out Anor Londo and the Forest. Thinking of heading to the Ruins next. How do you guys recommend I deal with the ghosts down there? Does the curse item last long enough where I should be ok if I pick up a few of them and head out?

EDIT: Seeing as we're discussing out character over the past few pages, might be slightly off on the stats, working from memory.

Pyro: SL 58

VIT 20
ATUN 20
STR 24
END 30
DEX 12
INT, FAI, RES base levels

Equipment

Lightning Halberd + 5, Pyro Glove +13
Silver Knight Shield
Black Iron Chest piece
Black Iron Helmet
Havel Gloves
Havel Leggings
Ring of Favor & Protection
Havel Ring

Basically a walking pyro tank. Plan on dropping an extra or point two into DEX to be able to wield the fury sword and putting the rest into VIT, END, and ATN most likely.

scy

Urban Scholar said:
I'm confused, Gwyndolin is a he? I thought Seath & Gwyndolin got down & dirty to have Pricilla?
If I'm wrong please correct me.

There's a
Gwyndolin and a Gwynyvere. The latter is the one you're thinking of.

DuendeSmoker said:

They drop 5 at a time when they do drop any. If you don't have any +Item Discovery, I'd just come back later. They're better than the Depths despite the lower drop rate due to higher density of them and the sheer amount they drop, though the Depths can at least net you some Humanity in the process.

So in a bit or irony, I got my Faith character to Anor Lando and then flounder vs
Ornstein and Smough for a good two hours. I did this fight at SL1 but I can't on my SL70 character? Oh come on, son

Sir Garbageman said:
Just cleared out Anor Londo and the Forest. Thinking of heading to the Ruins next. How do you guys recommend I deal with the ghosts down there? Does the curse item last long enough where I should be ok if I pick up a few of them and head out?

Transient Curse item. If you have the gold serpent ring, you should get enough in the first few rooms to last you through the whole place.

Ken

Sir Garbageman said:
Every trip I made through the Ruins, I only needed to use one Transient Curse each time. They seem to last quite awhile.

Sir Garbageman said:

Transient curse is the way you want to go. You can buy a limited supply of them from the Female Undead Merchant. After the ghosts will drop enough to keep you with a surplus if you use the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring. There are also a lot scattered around the level. Transient Curses last 300 seconds.

Okay, this is really bugging me so I'm asking for help.

I'm a thief build, still using my bandit's knife +5, and have become very very good at the art of the backstab. What I am NOT good at, however, is the parry riposte. I know I'm using a shield that can parry (hollow shield) but no matter how many times I try it just does a normal block when I try to parry. What am I doing wrong? How does this work? I really want to get as good with the parry/riposte as I am with the backstab.

Halp?

Requeim

Been listening to my soundtrack CD today, and while there is some outstanding stuff on there (Taurus Demon, Pinwheel, Gwyn), i liked Kida's Demon's Souls score better. Most of the stuff on the soundtrack besides the ones i just mentioned sounds way too samey. It's not a problem ingame because you probably aren't running from one bossfight to the next all the time, but it's too boring to listen to outside of the game for me. Oh well, at least i got it for free :D

DigitalDevil said:
I'm a thief build, still using my bandit's knife +5, and have become very very good at the art of the backstab. What I am NOT good at, however, is the parry riposte. I know I'm using a shield that can parry (hollow shield) but no matter how many times I try it just does a normal block when I try to parry. What am I doing wrong? How does this work? I really want to get as good with the parry/riposte as I am with the backstab.
All you have to do is to press L2 and time it right. If you're parrying the attack you're pressing the wrong button.

DuendeSmoker said:

The slimes in the depths have always worked best for me. The drop rate is probably lower but it's just steps away from the bonfire and they can be killed instantly with pyromancy. Usually with the ring on I find at least one shard per run (which takes only a couple minutes if that) with some large shards mixed in.

orion434

Zzoram said:
It has to be with the same character too I think. One character has to have all rare weapons at once.

So there is no way to "trade" with other players? I've had really bad luck with the Black Knights and their "Rare" weapons in my first playthrough with a Covetous Ring + 10 Humanity... I really don't want to just keep playing for a 1 time rare drop.

Mortrialus said:
Transient curse is the way you want to go. You can buy a limited supply of them from the Female Undead Merchant. After the ghosts will drop enough to keep you with a surplus if you use the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring. There are also a lot scattered around the level. Transient Curses last 300 seconds.

Don't have the Gold Ring, It's in the Great Hollow right? Maybe I'll just fire off a few humanities to get my drop rate up.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I found doing Londo Ruins cursed was actually easier than doing it with transients, the reduced health makes you play more cautiously and caution is all you need to get through the area.

Also, people should be aware that the undead merchant only has a certain number of transient curses for sale.

PS. I don't get why people are so intent on comparing zones on an equal footing. Some are clearly designed to be explored while others are connective areas typically with a gauntlet of foes or a gimmick to be overcome in order to get to the next proper area.

Also its not always apparent but certain enemies have interesting properties that makes them more challenging to get past; for example the wyverns in Valley Of The Drakes can see right through Fog Ring's invisibilty.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sir Garbageman said:
Don't have the Gold Ring, It's in the Great Hollow right? Maybe I'll just fire off a few humanities to get my drop rate up.

It's in Sen's Fortress,
when you run down a set of stairs you can see a hole which fills up with boulders, run over the hole once it is filled and it is on a dead dude hanging over the ledge.

scy

DigitalDevil said:
Okay, this is really bugging me so I'm asking for help.

Halp?

It's purely timing and I have little to say on tangible advice but, damn it, I'll try. I practice vs the Assassin beyond the Crest door in the Forest; you're aiming for after he swings but before it connects. Basically, the L2 motion should be sweeping as their attack comes in. The Assassin is a good practice dummy since it swings randomly (sometimes it'll approach and do nothing, for instance) and fast. Gets your reaction ready. Plus, it's an easier way to kill it than to swing and hope.

Sir Garbageman said:

It's in Sen's Fortress; should be down the long corridor with the
Boulder (before the room with the elevator and Mimic). There's a wall that the boulder will eventually barrel through and the ring is back there.

Clear said:
I found doing Londo Ruins cursed was actually easier than doing it with transients, the reduced health makes you play more cautiously and caution is all you need to get through the area.

Also, people should be aware that the undead merchant only has a certain number of transient curses for sale.

PS. I don't get why people are so intent on comparing zones on an equal footing. Some are clearly designed to be explored while others are connective areas typically with a gauntlet of foes or a gimmick to be overcome in order to get to the next proper area.

Also its not always apparent but certain enemies have interesting properties that makes them more challenging to get past; for example the wyverns in Valley Of The Drakes can see right through Fog Ring's invisibilty.

Because there is a difference between a good linear level like Ash Lake, and a bad boring one like the Valley of Drakes. There is also a difference between a good wide open zone like Darkroot Garden and Darkroot basin, and a bad one like Lost Izalith.

SUCK MY DICK CARPA DEMON

That was such an annoying fight solely due to the inclusion of those
dogs
. I dropped the Drake Sword for the Partizan and got it to +5 (funny because I named my character Hilde). Despite the damage difference I much prefer it over the sword. Really made it much easier to deal with said spoilers.

To think I had no idea about where that dude was for the last 5 hours and spent it wandering around in the forest and attempting to go for the second bell (couldn't make it past The Catacombs)

I'm getting the hang of this now, still can't parry for shit though.

MoxManiac

Confidence Man said:
The slimes in the depths have always worked best for me. The drop rate is probably lower but it's just steps away from the bonfire and they can be killed instantly with pyromancy. Usually with the ring on I find at least one shard per run (which takes only a couple minutes if that) with some large shards mixed in.

I'm pretty sure you can buy the green shards somewhere, forget where.

Aeana

Kyoufu said:
The helm is called Crown of Dusk, the rest is called Antiquated Dress etc. You probably only want the helm which actually boosts your damage. The set does look nice though.
So erm wait... I killed the hydra, freed Dusk, heard nothing about the armor set. I don't have to kill her to get it, do I?

scy

Aeana said:
So erm wait... I killed the hydra, freed Dusk, heard nothing about the armor set. I don't have to kill her to get it, do I?

Summon her (she's on the shoreline) and then return to where you freed her. There will be a dead body there with her equipment on her.

For the record, I don't think you can kill Dusk. You're locked into the merchant menu when you speak to her and she should disappear when you leave it.

Edit:

MoxManiac said:
I'm pretty sure you can buy the green shards somewhere, forget where.

Sen's Fortress but they're pretty expensive (5000 per). Just farm them from the Depths or Blighttown; you'll get what you need pretty fast.

When would be a good time to take on the Hydra anyway?

Those big water jets scared the bejesus out of me the first time I went into the basin.

Aeana

scy said:
Summon her (she's on the shoreline) and then return to where you freed her. There will be a dead body there with her equipment on her.

For the record, I don't think you can kill Dusk. You're locked into the merchant menu when you speak to her and she should disappear when you leave it.
Thanks, I got it.

prodystopian said:
Transient Curse item. If you have the gold serpent ring, you should get enough in the first few rooms to last you through the whole place.

I started with 1 transient curse and went in there with gold serpent ring -- by the time I got to Ingward (after several deaths learning where the ghosts sneak attack from and exploring on the way), I had 20+. I healed my curse and started using the item instead. I was occasionally farming for ghost blade afterwards and now I'm upwards of 35. (With like 7 jagged ghost blades, and finally a regular ghost blade... :lol)

I just started playing NG+ last night. So far I'm flying through the game. I already defeated the
Gaping Dragon and Stray Demon
after playing for about 2 hrs and I didn't feel like I was rushing things either.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Mortrialus said:
The fastest way of getting those shards is to farm in the Blackroot forest grinding spot and buy them from the Crestfallen Merchant. It isn't that bad and at least its predictable.
Best way is to farm the guaranteed drops of chunks in Kiln the first flame and feed the serpent to get 3 large shards or green shards.

I can't believe how easy is the game when you get this fire spell that makes you hard like a rock but slow. Beat the game today, final boss and ending was disappointing, the rest of the game is awesome.

butts

This is my GOTY so far, it's making me sort of wish BF3 were delayed a few weeks because it will be the only game that can pull me away at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom