• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosh

So I've got a titanite slab and a titanite chunk -- should I feed these to the serpent on hold on to them? I've already got my weapons set -- Lightning Iaito +2, Claymore +10, and lightning Spear +2.. Also, what would be the best route to take with my Claymore? I'm not on NG+

Keep them: feeding him titanite slabs or chunks will only give you large titanite shards in return. Titanite slabs are pretty rare in the game, so I'd really hold on to the one you have.

As for your claymore, it depends if you want to keep leveling and go the stats route, or stick to fire/lightning weapons (since they don't scale with stats).

Quikies83

Keep the slab and find more chunks. What does your build look like? A Claymore +15 is an excellent damage dealer with quick attacks if you have decent STR and DEX and even more so with enchantment.

Gotcha. I'm sitting at soul level 54 with Vit 24, End 21, Str 20, and Dex 23
I love the claymore - you'd recommend me taking it to +15?

Quikies83

Keep them: feeding him titanite slabs or chunks will only give you large titanite shards in return. Titanite slabs are pretty rare in the game, so I'd really hold on to the one you have.

As for your claymore, it depends if you want to keep leveling and go the stats route, or stick to fire/lightning weapons (since they don't scale with stats).

I'd like to keep the claymore away from elemental damange -- I'm using the lightning Iaito +3 for lightning damage. Unless there is some other great path for me to take with the claymore. Sorry guys, i'm kind of lost with the weapon upgrade flow.

Soulhouf

So I've got a titanite slab and a titanite chunk -- should I feed these to the serpent on hold on to them? I've already got my weapons set -- Lightning Iaito +2, Claymore +10, and lightning Spear +2.. Also, what would be the best route to take with my Claymore? I'm not on NG+

I don't understand players who make lightning Iaito. Using Iaito requires you to up your dex a bit so it's a waste if you remove the dex scaling by going the lightning path.
If you want to make a lightning katana, it's better to go Ushigatana or Washing Pole.

Also, yeah keep the slab and chunks to upgrade your weapons. Don't give them to that serpent.

dosh

I'd like to keep the claymore away from elemental damange -- I'm using the lightning Iaito +3 for lightning damage. Unless there is some other great path for me to take with the claymore. Sorry guys, i'm kind of lost with the weapon upgrade flow.

Well in that case, if that's your favorite weapon, you can take it to +15. The scaling isn't fantastic (it's always C on both STR and DEX), but that's an excellent weapon, with a surprisingly fast move set, good damage and good reach.
I have two +15 on my main character, one of them being a claymore (the other one is my beloved great scythe) and I never had to regret it.

What confuses you about the weapons upgrades? The whole system or specific points?

Quikies83

I don't understand players who make lightning Iaito. Using Iaito requires you to up your dex a bit so it's a waste if you remove the dex scaling by going the lightning path.
If you want to make a lightning katana, it's better to go Ushigatana or Washing Pole.

Also, yeah keep the slab and chunks to upgrade your weapons. Don't give them to that serpent.

I didn't know making Iaito lightning would do away with the Dex scaling... Oops.. shit

But at 20 DEX it's going to be greatly outdone by a lightning or fire upgrade. You'd have to pump up your STR and DEX to around 40 to make it stronger.

Losing stat scaling is double edged sword. It's great for level suppressed builds.

Quikies83

Can anyone assist with Four Kings?? I suppose that's where I need to go now.. I've made it through Anor Londo and just took out Pinwheel in the catacombs..
PSN soul level 54

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
There are only two, and apparently basic whip wins over notched whip.

Notched whip does bleed damage... I have both whips. The reg at +10 and notched +4lightning.

I just owned some invader with it earlier. It's become one of my favorite off hand weapons. Decent enough to parry and has a good quick strike with better range than my main hand shotel.

Usually I get my ass kicked by invaders because they have so many kinds of AOE magic bullshit I've never even seen before. They are the hugest pussies. But I rarely lose against those who fight more traditionally. And I haven't lost yet with my current build. In fact I kind of embarrassed that guy. One slap with the whip and then a quick parry and riposte. He had just killed my two retarded compatriots and I was watching in disbelief how bad they were. Then he turns to me and I'm like... ok, lets go. haha. glad it worked out, I wasn't in a good place to die.

CatPee

Gotcha. I'm sitting at soul level 54 with Vit 24, End 21, Str 20, and Dex 23
I love the claymore - you'd recommend me taking it to +15?

Yes. If you have/already put some points into sorcery or faith, use an enchantment spell/miracle on it for a lot of extra damage. But even without enchantment, it's still quite good. You could always use resin on it as well.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
a notched whip with lightening that still does bleed damage? that's pretty rad lol

Yeah... pretty sure. Unless I overlooked something when I upgraded.

I'm in the mood to play, so I will double check.

Edit: Yep...
197 physcal
197 lightning
and 300 bleed

and it only weighs 2.0

CatPee

fffffuuuu, what a depressing session. Was farming the Titanite Demon in Lost Izalith, then decided to go past him and had to kill Solaire. Then I found out that it doesn't respawn once you open the shortcut. :(

krakov

fffffuuuu, what a depressing session. Was farming the Titanite Demon in Lost Izalith, then decided to go past him and had to kill Solaire. Then I found out that it doesn't respawn once you open the shortcut. :(
It does. Quit and restart, use a bonfire and it should be back. Had a similar issue a while back.

dosh

Guys is it worth it playing this one offline?

You'll miss some of the fun, but it's worth it. Other than seeing a few white ghosts here and there, and find some messages left by other players on the ground, my first playthrough might as well have been done offline.
You just wont be able to pvp later on, or summon people to help you if you hit a wall (but you can team up with some npcs to fight bosses).

Daigoro

It is near the first bonfire. Go back, i think two archers should be on the left. Go there, kill them. There are barrels, they hid the stairs behind those.

right. i found that as soon as i turned around for the first time. pretty sure that happened on my first character too.

so my first charater had 10 hrs on it. i started my new one and i have about the same amount of time now. going at the beginning was a lot easier the second time through, but still hard. lots of deaths!

im only just a bit past where i was, i beat the first Boar boss and got the gate behind him open. now i have that big knight dude in the chapel to deal with. are the huge dudes with the very big weapons blockable at all, or should i just be rolling to avoid hits?

with some of the (mini) boss guys im not sure if i should be rolling, blocking, or just running. guess i just need to get more time under my belt to start to figure this stuff out.

im trying to do my first play through with minimal spoilers, but we'll see how that goes after i die another few thousand times.

Apdiddy

Well, I finally got out of the painted world and grinded it (basically, lay summon stone -> get summoned -> help others beat the boss -> wash rinse repeat), and now I got SL84 with 34 STR, 18 INT, 18 Faith, and about 30 vitality plus the mask of the mother. I got Quelaag's Furysword +4 and able to use the Greatshield of Artoris. It's a shame I can't go back, get summoned, and grind some more in the painted world....or can I?

Basically, I want to be more than prepared to face the last four bosses and the final boss. Or at least the worlds for the final four bosses.

Well, I finally got out of the painted world and grinded it (basically, lay summon stone -> get summoned -> help others beat the boss -> wash rinse repeat), and now I got SL84 with 34 STR, 18 INT, 18 Faith, and about 30 vitality plus the mask of the mother. I got Quelaag's Furysword +4 and able to use the Greatshield of Artoris. It's a shame I can't go back, get summoned, and grind some more in the painted world....or can I?

Basically, I want to be more than prepared to face the last four bosses and the final boss. Or at least the worlds for the final four bosses.

You can go back and put your summon sign in the Painted World. And I say that you should be able to beat everyone else except maybe Four Kings with relative ease with those stats...

Soulhouf

You can go back and put your summon sign.
But I recommend you put your ss at the beginning of New Londo. You'll get far more souls there and you can practice the boss.

IMO the hardest boss you'll encounter is the one in Lost Izalith. No matter your level and your build, you'll die at least once or twice.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished the game. Either I was a total badass by the end, or the last boss was the easiest of the entire game. Anyway, I'm fucking relieved to be done with this. I can't remember the last time where beating a game gave me this sense of accomplishment.

Overall, it's an outstanding RPG. There are still quite a few things that I'd consider bullshit overall, but I'm willing to forgive (unlike the game lol).
-----------------------------------------

Now a couple questions that I have:

- From reading the posts in this thread, it seems that I missed a couple things, like making Anor Londo Dark and finding the Painted World. Are there other quests/places that I might have completely missed? I don't plan to replay this anytime soon considering that my backlog is huge and this game takes all the time from you, but I do want to play it again in the distant future to see if I can find new things.

- I really love the gameplay, and some of the design structure of this series. So, again, in the distant future, I also plan to play Demon Souls (which I haven't played yet). After beating Dark Souls, is DeS considered to be even harder? Oh, and I've heard that the online servers may be turned off soon. Since I'll be playing this probably by the end of the year, am I gonna miss something or is it going to be considerably more difficult by not playing the game online?

I gotta say, reading the signs from other people was pretty much the only thing I got from the online portion of Dark Souls. I never summoned other people to help me beat bosses (I never even summoned Solaire).

-----------------------------------------

Now a couple questions that I have:

- From reading the posts in this thread, it seems that I missed a couple things, like making Anor Londo Dark and finding the Painted World. Are there other quests/places that I might have completely missed? I don't plan to replay this anytime soon considering that my backlog is huge and this game takes all the time from you, but I do want to play it again in the distant future to see if I can find new things.

I gotta say, reading the signs from other people was pretty much the only thing I got from the online portion of Dark Souls. I never summoned other people to help me beat bosses (I never even summoned Solaire).

1) You might have missed Great Hollow and Ash Lake as the entrance is hidden pretty well. I totally suggest that you do at least Painted World, it's great.

2) Playing online is great fun, try it out too!

Guevara

I had an amazing farming session Sunday: Dark Hand from the darkwraiths, Balder Side Sword, and the motherfucking Channelers Trident finally.

Are there any other super rare drops worth farming? I can't seem to get a Black or Silver Knight shield but I'm loving my new Silver Knight Sword. Not amazing on paper but the move set is fun and fast and upgrading it was cheap.

I'm considering mudering
Solaire of Astora for his sunlight sword and gear
before I finish the game. I'd feel bad, but I want it in NG+. Long Swords are my favorite class of weapon by far.

Sullichin

I had an amazing farming session Sunday: Dark Hand from the darkwraiths, Balder Side Sword, and the motherfucking Channelers Trident finally.

Are there any other super rare drops worth farming? I can't seem to get a Black or Silver Knight shield but I'm loving my new Silver Knight Sword. Not amazing on paper but the move set is fun and fast and upgrading it was cheap.

I'm considering mudering
Solaire of Astora for his sunlight sword and gear
before I finish the game. I'd feel bad, but I want it in NG+. Long Swords are my favorite class of weapon by far.

I'd say black knight shield is worth getting, it's the best shield to use against the final boss in my experience, shouldn't have too much trouble getting one to drop from one of the knights in the kiln.

Booshka

isn't Dark Hand very common since the last patch? i think i got like 8 of them.. Balder Side Sword seems to drop often too.

Yea it's not that rare, whenever I am chunk farming in New Londo Ruins I always end up with several of them in my inventory that I have to get rid of to clean up my equipment.

explodet

Oh man, only Miracles to go until I've platinum'd this bitch.
Just got the Knight's Honor trophy last night, which was probably the hardest for me.

Killing Sif 3 times? Up yours, From - Sif is awesome and adorable and I hate killing him.

dosh

If you ever want to get back to the game, just know that by going for a ng+ instead of starting a new character from scratch, you can be in the Painted World in a matter of hours, even with tougher enemies.

As for Demon's Souls, most people find it harder than DkS. Some of the bosses in that game are real nightmares. On the other hand, you already played a full playthrough of DkS, so maybe things will feel different for you. And you probably won't NEED the online - although it's part of the fun, of course (and it offers one the best gaming moment I've ever played, ever).

Did the forest clan stuff, betrayed it, got the lamer ring and gave all my humanities as Chaos Cervant. Only missing Demons Ruins, Lost Izalith, Great Hollow, Sunbro-covenant and the final boss and then I have done pretty much everything I can in the first playthrough.

Except buying all the miracles and stuff which I guess I'll do on this character even if I can't really use them.

I am also way better now at PVP, managing to win pretty much half or over half of all the encounters. I'd just need bit more vitality and I am set. Now that I got the DWGR I guess things will get even easier but don't know if I want to use that.

chunk3rvd

Finally reached the Kiln after 235 hours! I've had my sunbro sign down for over an hour and haven't been picked up once. Is SL34 too low to expect any activity here?

Also - 1 thing I don't understand - do I have to kill Gwynevere, not Gwyndolin to make Anor Londo dark? If so, how come I've invaded Dark Anor Londo as a Darkwraith when that means they've beaten the area boss?

Something I just thought about today:

Solaire = Sole Heir OR Soul Heir

tumblr_lpbsvgWzH41qh3jm3.jpg

I LOVE that this game allows us to figure this stuff out.

Also - 1 thing I don't understand - do I have to kill Gwynevere, not Gwyndolin to make Anor Londo dark? If so, how come I've invaded Dark Anor Londo as a Darkwraith when that means they've beaten the area boss?

Gwynevere makes Anor Londo dark, killing Gwyndolin only makes you sinned until NG+ (as in you can get invaded by Darkmoon people, in light or dark Anor Londo).

Killing Gwynevere makes the route to Gwyndolin visibile, but you can skip that with Darkmoon Seance Ring)

Soulhouf

Finally reached the Kiln after 235 hours! I've had my sunbro sign down for over an hour and haven't been picked up once. Is SL34 too low to expect any activity here?

When Anor Londo becomes dark, Gwindolyn become the area's boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom