• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunk3rvd

Just made someone kill the Pyromancer while Darkwraithing in the Depths. I feel so guilty. I messaged him afterwards apologising but he thought it was funny. I'm guessing he doesn't know who that NPC was and if so, he probably doesn't know the other more complicated route to unlocking pyromancy as well :/

joe2187

Banned
Doing some Co-op in the crystal caves, guy was super cool, showed me what set of armor to wear, what weapon I should use and how to kill seath without worry. I got his tail and told me how I should approach the next boss and how to level up, gave me a few humanity in case something bad happened.

Guy in Co-op told me to head to the catacombs and see if I could get the Black Knight great axe and i've been fucking up everything in the game.

Love this game. I farmed a ton of humanity in the Dukes archives from the picasas and fed The daughter of chaos till she leveled up her convent.

CatPee

Been messing around with a dual spear PvP build for the last two days. Moonlight Butterfly Horn +5 on left, Silver Knight Spear +5 on the right, with the Armor of the Sun set. I don't win too many fights like my old TAAAAARKUUUUUSSSSS build, but damn it's fun to play.

Also, it saddens me that not many people realize the greatness of the Silver Knight Spear.

Daigoro

made some decent progress today.

after some gnashing of teeth i killed the big knight in the Chapel and the bitch upstairs who shoots the bolts down on you from up there.

got myself to the blacksmith! upgraded my Battle Axe to +5 (lol probably wasted some titanite there im guessing?)

i tried killing the boss in the room next to the blacksmith. wasnt doing so hot, so i ran past him a few times. made it past a bunch of tree dudes and went into the white door where there are like 25 enemies (tree dudes and big golem looking guys who looked tough as hell). i swiped the armor set from that room and ran. got back to the bonfire and tried out that armor set. heavy as fuck and i cant roll for shit anymore. depressing. i tried to kill the boss past the blacksmith with the new armor and that was NOT happening. so i had the bright idea to try to kill the boss naked, no armor, only the +5 battle axe. success! killed him and got the Demon's Titanite (whatever that does).

then i tried Darkroot Basin. found the shortcut back to the tower that takes me back to Undead uh Parish i think? that knight there wasted me in one hit though.

tried again, went left and killed some crystal guys. then got wasted by some mysterious behemoth shooting some kind of blasts at me from off in the distance

then i tried the right path straight down in Darkroot Basin and came across the knight on the path there. he beat my ass like three times and then i had to quit for the day.

progress!

maomaoIYP

lol why so?

The moveset is great. It has great range and great speed for a weapon so big, and causes bleeding.
Both R1 and rolling attacks are linear, vertical and kind of slow. The real beauty lies in the 2 handed running attack, as well as both R2 attacks. Which are all fast horizontal wide angle swings. Especially the 2 handed R2, it's very fast for a R2, has a dash in, and has an additional input for a second swing.

I find myself doing better with the faster dex based weapons. I tend to simply rely on lucky lag stabs with the slower str based weapons, which tend to give a 1 hit kill with the hornet ring, but I'm don't have much fun at all.

lol why so?

Because the insane range makes it frigging impossible to dodge because you have no idea how far the actual attack goes if there's even little bit of lag. The damage isn't that much of a problem but there's no way you get properly close when you get hits every time no matter how far you are :p

Frank

got myself to the blacksmith! upgraded my Battle Axe to +5 (lol probably wasted some titanite there im guessing?)

Nope, you're doing just fine. Those Titanite Shards weren't wasted, you can buy them from the same Smith. Upgrading weapons & equipment is never a waste, especially since as you'll progress further you'll gradually get access to all upgrading materials (either to buy from various smiths & vendors, or farm).

For now, keep any Large Titanite Shards and Titanite Chunks you might find. These won't be easily available for some time. Experiment with the weapons you find or can buy, select one with a moveset that fits your playing style and then commit to upgrade it as much as possible to get the closest you can to +10.

A +10 will require you have 10 Titanite Shards (up until +5) and 9 Large Titanite Shards (from +5 to +10), keep this in mind.

Try beating that knight, there's a bonfire in a cave there and the cave connects you to Valley of Drakes (which, in turn, gives you access to various other areas -- some of them you're ready for, some of them not -- but you'll see on your own).

Explore thoroughly, and the game will only reward you :)

Dyno

upgraded my Battle Axe to +5 (lol probably wasted some titanite there im guessing?)

The way I see it you can upgrade any weapon, armour, or shield up to +5 without worry because it's pretty cheap to do so and Blacksmith Andre has an unlimited supply of titanite shards for sale. Once you start upgrading to +6 and higher you should have a game plan for what you want that weapon be in the end.

Finally completely cleared out Darkroot Garden/Basin! Great Grey Wolf Sif was a great fight. Totally doable with 1/4 armour and a Black Knight Sword. Now I'm in The Depths, all cursed out and loving it.

Nice to read beginner impressions. Part of the greatness of this game is that pretty much everything is available early on but you can get absolutely destroyed if you take the wrong path.

Since I don't have anything I need to play at the moment, I'm starting out another character, this time a pyromancer with a focus on 2H swords. Until I can get more spells, I'm working on improving my claymore, then after Depths I'll buy all available spells and raise attunement before venturing into Blighttown.

I don't know if I'll finish it again, but the goal for this character is a +15 sword and joining the dragon faction.

Booshka

Zweihander +15 is pretty beast if you focus on the scaling, at 27 STR and 40 Dex it does 610 Pure Physical 2 Handed. The trick is to stop leveling Strength when you see the 2h damage gains go down to 1 point per level, which is at 27 STR. From there focus on Dex and you will get 2-3 points of damage per level 2H. The 1H gains when you level STR are nice, but not worth it when you get so much more damage out of 2H.

I'm using it on a Catarina character and I love it. Mostly just playing co op with a friend, but the few times we have been invaded I have dominated with it. I have heard rumors that +15 weapons have better stunlock than elemental, and I believe it, I have been able to stunlock a lot of people with the +15 Zwei and I hardly ever stunlocked with a Lightning Zwei.

It seems kinda silly to have so much Strength and Dexterity, but I use a +15 Black bow of Pharis as well to make it more worthwhile. When I was able to one hit those Octopi in Lost Izalith with the Zwei's R2 I really felt like Siegemeyer haha.

Mike M

Nick N
Can I use a long sword with a boss soul to make something worthwhile? I was using one before wising up and switching to a claymore, and I've upgraded it to +8, but it seems pretty lacking compared to other weapons I have available now.

Still, I invested that much into it, seems a shame that it would be for nothing.

Booshka

Can I use a long sword with a boss soul to make something worthwhile? I was using one before wising up and switching to a claymore, and I've upgraded it to +8, but it seems pretty lacking compared to other weapons I have available now.

Still, I invested that much into it, seems a shame that it would be for nothing.

Just take that Claymore to +10 then upgrade it to Lightning with the Blacksmith in Anor Londo. Then upgrade it from there.

Been messing around with a dual spear PvP build for the last two days. Moonlight Butterfly Horn +5 on left, Silver Knight Spear +5 on the right, with the Armor of the Sun set. I don't win too many fights like my old TAAAAARKUUUUUSSSSS build, but damn it's fun to play.

Also, it saddens me that not many people realize the greatness of the Silver Knight Spear.

Silver Knight anything is good in this game post patch. And yes, a lot of people sleep on the spear, until it's stabbing them in the face from so far away they can't pivot BS. XD

Good day, did everything in Demons Ruins and only got killed by an invader and even that invader died simultaniously.

Did Bed Of Chaos with single try too, like a boss. He had no chance...

only Great Hollow and Ash Lake left for me and grinding for the boss weapons. Playtime around 38 hours.

Zzoram

made some decent progress today.

after some gnashing of teeth i killed the big knight in the Chapel and the bitch upstairs who shoots the bolts down on you from up there.

i tried killing the boss in the room next to the blacksmith. wasnt doing so hot, so i ran past him a few times. made it past a bunch of tree dudes and went into the white door where there are like 25 enemies (tree dudes and big golem looking guys who looked tough as hell). i swiped the armor set from that room and ran. got back to the bonfire and tried out that armor set. heavy as fuck and i cant roll for shit anymore. depressing. i tried to kill the boss past the blacksmith with the new armor and that was NOT happening. so i had the bright idea to try to kill the boss naked, no armor, only the +5 battle axe. success! killed him and got the Demon's Titanite (whatever that does).

then i tried Darkroot Basin. found the shortcut back to the tower that takes me back to Undead uh Parish i think? that knight there wasted me in one hit though.

tried again, went left and killed some crystal guys. then got wasted by some mysterious behemoth shooting some kind of blasts at me from off in the distance

then i tried the right path straight down in Darkroot Basin and came across the knight on the path there. he beat my ass like three times and then i had to quit for the day.

progress!

Reading this brings back fond memories.

Booshka

Good day, did everything in Demons Ruins and only got killed by an invader and even that invader died simultaniously.

Did Bed Of Chaos with single try too, like a boss. He had no chance...

only Great Hollow and Ash Lake left for me and grinding for the boss weapons. Playtime around 38 hours.

Playing co op with a friend through the whole game and we both killed this boss in one try. I was very surprised because I almost always die at least once, and it was my friend's first time fighting the boss.

Booshka

I was just frustrated after killing Darkwraiths for 6 hours with no luck. I took a break after my post and just 30 minutes after playing it again I finally got one. :)

You must have like 80 Chunks and 20 Dark Hands lol, I could never farm that long. I just go to farm for Chunks when I need them and if I get lucky and get a slab, awesome.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hey DarkSoulsGAF!

I've been farming for titanite slabs, and I happened to have gotten one too many. Does anyone want to trade for a blue titanite slab? I have a lv 120 on PS3. Let me know!

EDIT: Also, if anyone has a Bonewheel Shield or (not Jagged) Ghost Blade for trade, I can offer just about every other rare weapon drop.

Sullichin

Hey DarkSoulsGAF!

I've been farming for titanite slabs, and I happened to have gotten one too many. Does anyone want to trade for a blue titanite slab? I have a lv 120 on PS3. Let me know!

EDIT: Also, if anyone has a Bonewheel Shield or (not Jagged) Ghost Blade for trade, I can offer just about every other rare weapon drop.

Don't have any of those items on my lvl120, but fyi you don't need the bonewheel shield or either ghost blade for the knight's honor trophy.

Daigoro

glad people are enjoying my beginners log.

i rang my first bell today!

i summoned that knight right before the roof area (i had read about this previously), and he certainly helped a bit with some lightning attacks until he got burned to death by some fire breath. i lopped the tail off of the first baddie pretty easily. i figured it would be some work to get that thing off, but it popped pretty easily.

it was great actually ringing the bell. hope some people heard it. there seem to have been a lot of other people around in the area this morning when i was playing. i dropped a "Praise the Sun!" tag at the top of the tower and went back to my little bonfire.

other things i did today:

-set free that prisoner in the chapel area and found him later at the Firelink Shrine hocking his wares.

-found the Zweihander and uh Winged Spear somewhere... Darkroot Basin maybe. didnt have the stats to use either effectively.

-got to the big serpent boss in Darkroot Basin past the Ice guys and promptly had my ass handed to me. actually i grabbed the armor set there and then i drowned myself trying to get close after using all of my Estus to get there and giving the boss a few whacks.

-tried that knight down the path headed straight down in Basin. almost had him, he was so close to death, but i lost the battle. will try again tomorrow.

-ooh! i killed that glowing slug like thing on the path into Basin. got lucky when i discovered i could run and jump at him to stun him before he disappeared. screwed it up the first time and let him slip away. screwed up the second time when i mis-timed the jump stun. but got him on the third try. got some twinkling titanite i think. going to hang on to that for a while until i know what it does.

-also finally unlocked that door on the dragon bridge that unlocks that whole other area of Undead Burg and the shortcut to Firelink (the tunnel with the merchant and the rat); also the shortcut to the room by the bonfire in Undead Burg, finally!. i had gotten the key somewhere previously and finally made it back to that part (just wandering around hoping to find something out of a bit of desperation). a whole other area i never knew about. after about 20 hrs of play between 2 characters. hah. its so great being able to destroy all of those guys in Undead Burg who tormented me so during my first 10 hours of play. i feel strong! lol

damn! typing it out, feels like i got a lot done today.

Nope, you're doing just fine. Those Titanite Shards weren't wasted, you can buy them from the same Smith. Upgrading weapons & equipment is never a waste, especially since as you'll progress further you'll gradually get access to all upgrading materials (either to buy from various smiths & vendors, or farm).

For now, keep any Large Titanite Shards and Titanite Chunks you might find. These won't be easily available for some time. Experiment with the weapons you find or can buy, select one with a moveset that fits your playing style and then commit to upgrade it as much as possible to get the closest you can to +10.

A +10 will require you have 10 Titanite Shards (up until +5) and 9 Large Titanite Shards (from +5 to +10), keep this in mind.

Try beating that knight, there's a bonfire in a cave there and the cave connects you to Valley of Drakes (which, in turn, gives you access to various other areas -- some of them you're ready for, some of them not -- but you'll see on your own).

Explore thoroughly, and the game will only reward you :)

The way I see it you can upgrade any weapon, armour, or shield up to +5 without worry because it's pretty cheap to do so and Blacksmith Andre has an unlimited supply of titanite shards for sale. Once you start upgrading to +6 and higher you should have a game plan for what you want that weapon be in the end.

Finally completely cleared out Darkroot Garden/Basin! Great Grey Wolf Sif was a great fight. Totally doable with 1/4 armour and a Black Knight Sword. Now I'm in The Depths, all cursed out and loving it.

thanks for the tips everyone. i was wondering if +5 was the higest my Axe would go. didnt know about the chunks. though i think i might have one somehow. (maybe im imagining that)

quick question. oh yeah, i also tried to get to the catacombs today. got beat up kind of bad. gonna wait on that. but on the way there i heard someone snoring (i think) right by where the big crow hangs out at Firelink. was it the crow who was snoring or someone else?

dont spoil it if its something i should discover for myself. just wasnt sure where the noise was coming from and thought it might be the crow.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Really enjoying your story. Keep em coming!

quick question. oh yeah, i also tried to get to the catacombs today. got beat up kind of bad. gonna wait on that. but on the way there i heard someone snoring (i think) right by where the big crow hangs out at Firelink. was it the crow who was snoring or someone else?

dont spoil it if its something i should discover for myself. just wasnt sure where the noise was coming from and thought it might be the crow.
You'll find out soon enough. =P

Hey DarkSoulsGAF!

There is a Ghost Blade other than the Jagged one?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Yup. One that only the shrieking ones drop. By my count, there are only two on the map, so farming runs take quite a while. =/

Jord

Just want to pop in a contribute to this thread, as I've been lurking in it since Dark Souls was released :)

I'm on several playthroughs on the PS3, and have become completely obsessed with this game. I decided to pick up the 360 version so I could help out a few friends. Went with a STR/FTH build and smashed my way through the game...up to Four Kings. This is what I love about this game. No matter how skilled you are, how many times you've completed it, get clever with it and it will put you back in your box!

Anyway, farmed some Humanity for summons. Spent all night summoning complete numpties, 2 fellow sunbro's who both got raped by the same Darkwraith on the way to the boss. Another guy who forgot to put the ring on so he fell to his death when he jumped down, and some guy who refused to continue without his friend that never showed. Wasted 7-8 humanity messing about like this. Frustrated, decided to call it a night. But before I switch off I'l have one more crack at them, and proceeded to destroy them solo with one Estus left.

I can't think of any other game that has given me such a feeling of accomplishment and power, my frikking heart felt like it was going to pop out of my chest!

This is a truly rare and special game, my number one favourite of all time, it will never be replaced because it's so unique. I love it.

MrWisker

I can't think of any other game that has given me such a feeling of accomplishment and power, my frikking heart felt like it was going to pop out of my chest!

This is a truly rare and special game, my number one favourite of all time, it will never be replaced because it's so unique. I love it.

I agree. Dark Souls, game of the generation for me. I have a huge backlog of games to play (Final Fantasy XIII-2, kingdoms of amalur, etc. . .) and every once in a while I will attempt to start playing hoping to get a bit of a break from Dark Souls. But, after an hour or so I usually find myself back playing Dark Souls invading the guilty with my Darkmoon character.

On a side note it took nearly 2 years to pull myself away from Demon Souls........

^Actually obtain/create I think.

Finished GH/AL, now all there is left for me to do in non-online ways is upgrading weapons. Already did Furysword, next up some Lightning weapon and then the rest.

Jord

I agree. Dark Souls, game of the generation for me. I have a huge backlog of games to play (Final Fantasy XIII-2, kingdoms of amalur, etc. . .) and every once in a while I will attempt to start playing hoping to get a bit of a break from Dark Souls. But, after an hour or so I usually find myself back playing Dark Souls invading the guilty with my Darkmoon character.

On a side note it took nearly 2 years to pull myself away from Demon Souls........

Exactly the same. I have a huge backlog - Rage, Skyrim, Saints Row 3, Bastion, Battlefield etc to name but a few. Every time I try to play something new I just can't get into it and end up going back to Dark Souls.

Because my time is precious I've never really been one for replaying games as there is always something else round the corner, but damn I can just start a new character and start playing again with Dark Souls. Mass Effect 3 is arriving tomorrow, maybe that can tear me away!

I love reading this thread and seeing new players come in. When I started my 360 build, I summoned some guy in the Burg and he dropped a load of stuff for me, a BK Greataxe, BK Halberd and a Lightening Clamore+4! Upgraded it to +5, that thing has wreaked everything in my path, so OP.

Such a great community in this game.

Frank

When I started my 360 build, I summoned some guy in the Burg and he dropped a load of stuff for me, a BK Greataxe, BK Halberd and a Lightening Clamore+4! Upgraded it to +5, that thing has wreaked everything in my path, so OP.

:) It's funny, lately when I drop stuff for other players I try not to drop things which are too OP for that point in the game. Just slightly upgraded stuff, something that potentially gives a boost in damage over their current equipment, but doesn't completely take out their involvement in learning the ropes about upgrading weapons and exploring for items.

I got 2 characters parked at the Kiln right now, and each of them has a shopping cart choke full of upgrading materials. Because of this, when I BB glitch a character to dabble in the early stages of the game and a new player summons me, I mainly just drop a lot of various types of Titanites, from shards to chunks.

Might not be as instantly positive as a fully upgraded later-game weapon, but I reckon at some point they'll be happy to have all those materials to abuse of.

elohel

Exactly the same. I have a huge backlog - Rage, Skyrim, Saints Row 3, Bastion, Battlefield etc to name but a few. Every time I try to play something new I just can't get into it and end up going back to Dark Souls.

Because my time is precious I've never really been one for replaying games as there is always something else round the corner, but damn I can just start a new character and start playing again with Dark Souls. Mass Effect 3 is arriving tomorrow, maybe that can tear me away!

I love reading this thread and seeing new players come in. When I started my 360 build, I summoned some guy in the Burg and he dropped a load of stuff for me, a BK Greataxe, BK Halberd and a Lightening Clamore+4! Upgraded it to +5, that thing has wreaked everything in my path, so OP.

agreed really great community

If this is your first souls game is say play through I'd say play this first

oracrest

I am working towards my platinum now.

Finally got to the Gravelord's Covenant, and have been wielding the Gravelord Sword since then.

Just entered the painted world.

And I finally ran into Patches last night! The old dog... I hadn't yet seen him, or knew he was in the game until I saw his page on the wiki. Very cool that they have the little crossover characters. (And Lautrec is pretty much Yurt, heh)

Jord

agreed really great community

If this is your first souls game is say play through I'd say play this first

I imported the Asian version Demon's, put about 40 or so hours into which is nothing, put it down and never really picked it back up. Definitely going to go back to it with more of an open mind, and use what I've learnt here.

There is just something....I can't seem to put my finger on it, just something really special about Dark Souls.

The perception of the difficulty surprises me, too. I bought the hard cover guide the other week just to have really, I know the stats are out of date but whatever. The guy behind the counter kind of chuckled and asked if I was really struggling with the game to be buying the guide? When I told him I'd already completed it 3 times he just looked at me like I was bullshitting him or something.

I mean, I know everyone's different when it comes to difficulty (and patience), but the difficulty isn't something I think about, and come to think of it, even when I first started playing I don't recall it being so hard that I couldn't continue. It was more about wanting to continue, to explore this magnificent and mysterious world, every step of progress filled with intrigue and wonder at what's coming next.

Facism

I am working towards my platinum now.

Finally got to the Gravelord's Covenant, and have been wielding the Gravelord Sword since then.

Just entered the painted world.

And I finally ran into Patches last night! The old dog... I hadn't yet seen him, or knew he was in the game until I saw his page on the wiki. Very cool that they have the little crossover characters. (And Lautrec is pretty much Yurt, heh)

I've been gravelording. Doesn't seem to really be worth it. I had 2 invasions in sen's whilst activated, neither dropped an eye. I think the covenant needs to restrict who can invade you whilst the eye is active and create more of a hassle for those players infected in order to make finding the gravelord more of a valid option.

At least one of those invasions was funny. I hid behind the wall at the far end of Logan's cage and waited for him to come looking. He did, unleashed gravelord blade and watched him roll through it all the way off the edge of the path. Fucking prick was running around with end-game armour and a lightning weapon.

Kinda getting tired of being invaded or invading people with uber fucking gear, though. That really needs sorting, not a lot of genuine, honest players so far in my 6th playthrough (started over, not NG).

Soulhouf

When I started my 360 build, I summoned some guy in the Burg and he dropped a load of stuff for me, a BK Greataxe, BK Halberd and a Lightening Clamore+4! Upgraded it to +5, that thing has wreaked everything in my path, so OP.

Basically you ran into a glitching player who ruined your game.

Mike M

Nick N
Stray Demon's shockwave attack is killing me. What gives?

I think it's all magic damage or something.

Idunno, I cheesed the hell out of that fight
Managed to fall into the chamber without aggroing him. Pelted him with dung pies until he went toxic, which took off like 4/5ths his life, then went in for the kill with Iron Flesh. Few more pies, and I wouldn't have even needed to do that.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Yeah, I hate it when people give fully upgraded items to newbies. It really spoils some of the game. The difficulty has already been lowered greatly with the exp buff; you're now regularly 10-20 levels higher than you should be as it is.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
You must have like 80 Chunks and 20 Dark Hands lol, I could never farm that long. I just go to farm for Chunks when I need them and if I get lucky and get a slab, awesome.

109 chunks and 31 hands. Cloranthy Ring + 11 humanity=max item discovery. I will probably give the hands away in mp.

Haha, I kind of dreaded doing Capra Demon again. I found a guy in Silver Knight armor who followed me there. I ran inside, got stuck in a corner and killed but before I was drawn back to the bonfire, the guy killed the demon with about four attacks. Success!

Most annoying boss, probably. There's just no room for experimenting, you either get it right or you die in five seconds.

Stay close, run behind him, hit him, he'll jump up, back off, run behind him, hit him, he'll jump up.... repeat until it's dead. If you do it right it will end up in that loop almost certainly (as will the other Demons) and it will be a piece of cake :p As long as you are close to it but not directly in front of it it only has one attack.

krakov

As PetriP-TNT suggested, stay by his back and be careful. If you are behind him he will either butt slam or hit the ground in from of him for an AOE attack, they are both easy to avoid. If he starts throwing out the hit the wall-AOE things may go sour very fast.

A weapon with bleed is very effective against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom